IGNORED

Shorai Battery

wsreid

I believe my two OEM battery failures (I am on my third OEM battery, now) to be the product of conditions in which I ride and the manner in which the bike is stored. My OEM batteries each failed in the dead of winter. I store the bike in my garage, which will go weeks at a time at freezing and below. I commute most every day on the bike, but the trip is short (four miles each wasy), cold (e.g, 15 to 25 degrees F, all this last week, in the a.m.) and run with the seat and grips on high. I typically work a long day, and just ride home on a winter night. My wife does not ride pillion any more, so I don't enjoy the long weekend rides I used to get. I suppose I should run the charger all the time, but grew up in an era when that was bad medicine for a battery, and I just don't trust everything to be right, if I do.

In your case, it's ideal to have a charger on. Capacity is greatly reduced in the cold, and your short trips are not enough to replenish the battery by charging from the drain of starting. OEM batteries are not the wetcells you grew up with. There is nothing to be afraid of re charging.

-MKL

Here is Canada we have winters that last at least 6 months. My Rt is stored in my garage which has underslab heating. I keep the temperature at around 50 F. I have been using a Battery Tender for the past 15 or more years. No issues with any of the batteries.

How do I charge the battery through the 12 volt socket on the left hand side of my fairing? I plug a charger into that socket, and nothing happens: no charging takes place.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived