IGNORED

Summer 2011 Trip in California

cris nitro

We want to see Crater Lake, Grants Pass, the Redwoods, Yosemite, Oregon and North Cali. coast line.

Okay then. Places "to see": Crater Lake, check; Redwoods, check; Yosemite, check; Oregon and N Cali coasts, check; Grants Pass, WTF?

PM me for route through Oregon.

• 1 month later...

I'm back. We met the other day and have decided that we needed to set daily destinations so we can book rooms accordingly. We originally kicked around the idea of setting loose goals and getting rooms on the fly, but with the holiday week (July 4th), that is probably not a good idea.

So we have set our route and have established our nightly stops. What we would like from those that live in the area is to suggest some great roads along the way. Here is our itineray;

Saturday, 7/2; pick up the rentals in San Fran, ride to Carmel, Big Sur and stay that night in San Lucas. We will prob not get on the road till 11:00. Obviously, we will be going down the PCH.

Sunday, 7/3; Ride to Fresno and on to Yosemite. This is only 215 miles, so we will have time to explore the park.

Monday, 7/4; From Yosemite to Lake Tahoe. 225 miles. Same deal as Sunday, we will have time to explore.

Tuesday, 7/5; Big push, from Lake Tahoe to Coos Bay, Oregon. 540 miles.

Wednesday, 7/6; Coos Bay to Eureka, Ca. 220 miles.

Thursday, 7/7; Eureka to Calistoga to Napa/Sonoma Valley.

Friday, 7/8; Sonoma to San Fran.

Except for the ride to Coos Bay, our days will be moderate in mileage. This gives us time to explore, sightsee and play around. We will be on full size bikes, mostly Harleys, a couple of Gold Wings and my 1200 RT so we will not be doing any dual sport riding.

Also, we are commmitted to the destinations, so please don't criticize us/me for missing some of your favorite places, such as Crater lake, Grant's Pass, Hearst Castle, etc. We only have so much time and can't see everything. I was personnally out voted on going to Crater lake, but I will go with the majority, no problem.

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks,

Cris Nauta

CoarsegoldKid

I don't think reservations are necessary except for Yosemite and perhaps Monterey area. Even in Monterey these days you can show up on Moto GP weekend and get rooms without reservations. Reservations constrain your movements IMHO. I tend to not make them in these recessions times. Besides fuel prices will thin out the tourists.

Enjoy your time in the West. Wave as you go through, I'm between Fresno and Yosemite. If you want interesting roads between those two points ask me.

I don't think reservations are necessary except for Yosemite and perhaps Monterey area. Even in Monterey these days you can show up on Moto GP weekend and get rooms without reservations. Reservations constrain your movements IMHO. I tend to not make them in these recessions times. Besides fuel prices will thin out the tourists.

Enjoy your time in the West. Wave as you go through, I'm between Fresno and Yosemite. If you want interesting roads between those two points ask me.

Joe;

I would love to hear your input on good roads between Fresno and Yosemite.

Tuesday, 7/5; Big push, from Lake Tahoe to Coos Bay, Oregon. 540 miles

Where are you staying in Tahoe? North lake vs. south lake will be at least an hours difference travel time. Will be a very long day to Coos Bay, especially on the 5th of July.

I have ridden most all of the likely roads you will take and while scenic I would highly suggest starting in North Lake and considering something less ambitious, especially given the short day you have planned for the 6th. The Oregon coast is nice but the California coast is better....I have ridden it all and southern Oregon is nowhere near the highlight.

CoarsegoldKid
Tuesday, 7/5; Big push, from Lake Tahoe to Coos Bay, Oregon. 540 miles

The Oregon coast is nice but the California coast is better....I have ridden it all and southern Oregon is nowhere near the highlight.

Not disparage the Oregon coast, parts of which are scenic but most of it is riding through small towns, slow speed limits and lots of stops. I got very bored with it last year and peeled off inland, although hotter, it was nicer riding curvy country roads. Crater Lake is a wonderful sight by the way but not near the coast I'm afraid.

Archived