IGNORED

Summer 2011 Trip in California

cris nitro

I just got permission from the "boss" to join 3 buddies to take a week and tour the coast of Cali. We will be flying out and renting bikes next July. We would like to start in Southern Cali. and ride the PCH north and continue up to Oregon. I need any advice you west coast boys might have for us. Such as; does anybody rent bikes one way?

Thanks,

Cris(Very excited).

Don't do the Coast on the weekend if you can avoid it. Weekdays, less traffic. When and if you get to Eureka, go to the Samoa Cook House for a meal. Old Lumber mill kitchen, family style.

If you have time in So Cal. the canyon roads from LA north to Ventura off Hwy 1 can be a real exercise in direction changes. Up one canyon, down another. There are several. Google Earth and have a gander.You would be working north but could take all day doing that section.

Above San Luis Obisbo the same kind of inland opportunities are afforded leading inland to Paso Robles.

There is a motorcycle museum in Solvang north of Santa Barbara open on week ends, kinda nice.

You'll get a lot of info from the folks here and recommendations for more roads than you'll have time to ride.... :grin:That's good news...... :thumbsup:

My two bits for the southern part of your trip are up Hwy 1 from L.A. area to Ventura, north on Hwy 33 through Ojai and north on 33 to Hwy 166 (a really fun stretch of highway)....West on Hwy 166 to Hwy 101 just north of Santa Maria...Stop in Nipomo which is 3 or so miles north of the confluence and find Jocko's Resturant for a Santa Maria barbecue lunch....Then on north finding Hwy 1 again in San Luis Obispo and up the coast through Big Sur to Carmel/Monterey....From there, I'll leave it to the those locals.......

Also check this website for good maps of the "Back Roads".......

www.madmaps.com

You'll have a great ride.... :grin:

Just so you know, summer weather along the coast can often be foggy and cool, especially in the mornings.

If I were sticking to the coast and taking it slow, I'd spend the first few nights near San Louis Obispo, Santa Cruz and Mendocino. Further north, I'd look for advice from those who live up there.

Time your travel through San Francisco to avoid commute hours. There's no toll northbound on the Golden Gate Bridge.

In July you will want to stay away from any lower elevation inland deserts or valleys. The coast {as has been stated} is ofeten foggy, but the coastal mountans inland about 20-75 miles inland will be beautiful.

From San Diego up to Ventura wont be too foggy, at least after 9am ish. But after that area i would consider moving inland and up the coastal Mtns.

All sounds good. I need to spend some time looking at maps to decipher all the areas you guys are talking about. I would perfer to rent dual sport bike, ala 1200 GS or the like.

I was also wondering if it makes any fiscal sense to ship my bike out there and back inlieu of renting?

Simple fix for that problem is pay for my air fare up to your area, I ride your bike down here to my place, pick you up from the airport and you head out from here.

I am 20 minutes from the San Diego county line and about an hourish from the mexican border, so it is a great starting point for youjr ride. I know alot of great back roads aroud here and would be glad to help you get your start from here.

EASY and you get to ride a familiar bike. :grin:

Im in if you are....just let me find out my surgery schedule. :S

hmm PA is pretty far right?

Werentmotorcycles.com came up when I googed rents. Comes with GPS. 1200GS available. us/canadidiam 1888 849-4098 intl 1 949 579- 9422.I perused some but did not see an actual price. You can scare yourself then check air freight or is it Tramp steamer?

What, you want Auto club maps too?

I just had my bike shipped from NC to so cal and it was 625 bucks. I went thru Allied. They were a few dollars more but i had no troubles. My buddy just shipped his bike from Al to so cal and his cost 575 but it took 6 weeks longer and he had a bunch of problems thru the process.

Remeber those prices were one way. So if you were gonna ship it west ride it north then ship it back east you are looking at 2 directions.

I know i am newer here and people dont really know me to vouch for me but I am a reliable guy and if you do decide to ship you bike here i can help work out an address to ship to or even will call it for you and store it until you come pick it up, no strings attached. I will even show you around the inland empire and San Diego county area and orange co., LA co. if you want.

kmac; yea, real far, about 3,000 miles. The biggest problem would be ensuring the bike is there when I arrive and I then I have to get it to a shipper in Oregon after we are done riding. Sounds like a pain both ways. Way easier to pick up a rental, ride the heck out of it and then just drop it off and fly home. But this is very early in the planning stage and I am going to explore all options.

notacop; thanks for the lead, I will follow up. I'll take what ever we can get.

More discussion this afternoon with a buddy who is going and for now the plan is to fly to San Diego, get bikes and ride the entire PCH thru Cal and into Oregon. None of my street buddies ride dirt bikes, but I would love to take a day and ride in the desert in Southern Cal. Ahh, another time perhaps.

I wish i could ride the dirt right now, i have a '07 wr250f and i know the desert very well and normally i would love to take you out and show you around....

I met a couple of guys from Florida last spring riding up the coast(Bodega Bay) and they couldn't believe how cold it was and that they couldn't even SEE the ocean.

Best time to ride the N.Cal coast - Sept, Oct. Even then no guarantees. But, as has been previously said "inland is great"

Best of luck,

Tom

The north coast of California is foggy a fair amount of the time...Personally I wouldn't give up the chance for that great ride up the coast and through the redwoods just to dodge the fog....Yes, it can be in the 50's and a little damp so take your cool weather gear........That fog is the reason the redwoods are there.........And in the summertime over the mountains inland is hot and Interstate 5 is boring....

Thanks for the info, everybody.

notacop; checked out werentmotorcycles.com and they have a great selection and reasonable rates.

We are getting together after the holidays to start coming to a concensus on the route. My plan is to fly into SD, pick up the bikes and head north. We want to be back to SD a week later to drop off bikes and fly home. Question to be resolved is how far north can we comfortably ride in 1/2 the time to allow sufficient time to get back?

How little regard do you have for posted speed limits? A feller can cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time at speed. You may not see much but it would be exciting.

How much ground you cover will depend on how much time your buddies spend smoking at gas stops, how many trees or sea lions you really have to take pictures of, etc. Realistically there is dang little of the coast in SO cal to see. It's all houses from San Diego to Santa Monica. Basically, it sucks. So you've got 140 miles of the Riff Raff that plagues the coastal plain.

Then you could do the Santa Monica mountains winding roads and visit the Rock Store (infamous hot dog stand).

Making Ventura or Santa Barbara 1st night would get you up closer to where the way gets more interesting ans less populated.

Thing too, is that you can make a Banzai run back to San Diego in a couple days from up north. A couple 500 miles days and you are back. You could do all of the coast of Calif in 5 days at 200 miles a day. If you have a full week. I don't know about you but 200 miles is only one tank of gas and I ride more than 1 tank a day. Summer time, long daylight hours....

I agree with NAC, take you time going up the coast. Stop, take pics, take fun ride detours inland a bit, like in to Solvang, and Ojai, Hearst castle, Big Sur, Monterey and the wharfs and aquairium, San Fran. Take 5 days or so going up, Then B-line it back down 99 or the 5 in 2 days home.

I can help you plan some fun rides thru some back country up from San Diego to Santa monica thru mountians rather than just along the very crowded and trafficy coast.

Agree with notacop,ride from San Diego to northern Los Angeles on the slab,avioding the congested southern coast,then cut over towards Santa Monica or even wait to around Ojai area.

With your time schedule,depending a lot on your ride pace and traffic,it will take two days just to get up to northern CA. and

one day to ride the Oregon coast.

Too much traffic on northern OR coast above Salem and west of Portland,especially on weekends.It is however worth the effort to get to Tillamook to see the air museum,if you are into that sort of thing.

Hearst castle region/Big Sur/Monterey area,Northern CA redwoods,lost coast hwy in northern CA,majority of Oregon coast are all must see regions.

Return trip can include swing out to Crater Lake in Oregon and then slab back to San Diego,or if you have a bit of extra time ride thru the northern Sierras in CA.and cut back to I-5 and head south.

JR356

Danny caddyshack Noonan

101 and 1 north, do the coast with the sun slightly at your back. Minimize ocean glare.

Go until you hit the halfway point of your trip.

Turn right and, assuming you're north of SF, turn right again on 89 and take 89 down to Tahoe. Hitting 89 somewhere even a tiny bit north of Lassen will get you in very cool country. Then choose between sides. Sierra sides. Either 49 or 395 down to the end of the Sierra's and turn right again then a left, to get back to SD.

Don't forget to put a "the" in front of the freeway numbers when south of the Grapevine. :rofl:

I would say stay off the 5 no matter what. Go up one way, and back another. But no 5 if possible.

Timing is important going thru' Los Angeles. Right time, it's easy. Wrong time, and you're sitting there on the freeway with your ...

You can lane split, if you are experienced with it. And know what to look for.

But timing is important anywhere. The weekend warriors head, in droves, to tourist spots.

dc

David, don't you think that the 405 lane split from San Diego wouldn't be the emotional high lite of the trip to Californification? If out-of-State-ers haven't experienced the Gauntlet, shouldn't that be included. They can show pictures of the sea lions and the buddies having lunch at Neptunes nest but Lane Splitting at it's most horrific, that's a sensation worthy of tales round the long neck back home. The stuff of legends. Disney Land on steroids. The ultimate 'E'ticket ride. 140 miles of it. Think of it, man!

Caution, may cause soiling of underwear!

I would start and end in SF instead of SD myself......from there you can go south or north depending on the weather. I am aware of a few places that rent bikes in SF (never used them myself but I can't imagine a one way rental will be very cheap)....personally I see no reason to go any further south than Santa Barbara, SoCal blows and the traffic will only get worse the further south you go. North of Santa Cruz is simply amazing and the traffic will be less and less as you head north. Plus you can then go ride highway 36 (best MC road in the state).

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

Here is one suggestion (no idea if they are any good, just did a quick google search)

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/namerica/usa/california/bay_area_rental.html

Duane n Oregon

See if you can get far enough north to see Crater Lake in Oregon. It's one of those places that everyone says, "Pictures don't do it justice. You have to go there." The Redwoods are the same. Awesome!

Wow, great ideas. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

We definately want to take our time, like she said, "you never know". Also, several of the bikes will be Harleys and I'm not into riding fast, especially on roads I'm not familiar with.

BTW, waiting on the front brake parts so I can get her back on the road. All fresh fluids, new tires and battery, look out Cali, Pennsyltucky is coming! And a Jersey boy, too.

"Crater Lake in Oregon"

Yeah, but, the mosquitoes are the size of ravens and plentiful. Crater Lake and Ft. Clatsop (both in Ogeron) qualify as insect danger zones. Only place I touristed with my helmet on and the visor closed out of self preservation. One cloud of them tried to fly off with my wife. We barely escaped unscathed.

...and cut back to I-5 and head south.

JR356

Whatever you do, don't make I-5 part of your itinerary. JR356 should have his bmwstforum membership revoked for even suggesting such a thing!

:-p

I would consider flying into San Jose and picking up the bikes there. Not far from Montery, Carmel and Big Sur. As others have said there isn't much to see south of Santa Barbara. You can start in the middle and then go North. That way you get the best parts of Ca and Or.

Duane n Oregon

Mosquitos at Crater Lake? True, at least when I rode and camped there last July. We got off the bikes at our campsite and were attacked! We got back on, rode to the store for some repellent, and COVERED ourselves. They were still annoying for awhile before it cooled down at night, but the repellent worked very well. So, Crater Lake is a MUST SEE, just be sure to pack Deep Woods Off.

The one downside of starting in San Jose or San Francisco is that Highway 1 between Santa Barbara and Monterey is pretty much mandatory for somebody coming from PA. If you start in the bay area and go south with Harleys at a reasonable pace, you'll stay overnight somewhere near Santa Barbara and then re-trace your route the next day to get headed back north.

Given a week for the round trip and that you want to get to Oregon, I'd skip the coast between San Diego and Los Angeles. But I'd start in LA and take the first half day to get out of town.

I love riding the San Diego back country myself, But if you are trying to get to Oregon, starting in Los Angeles is probably an easier ride from a few angles.

1) There is a Harley rental place right near the LAX airport. It is almost walking distance from LAX and for sure a cheap cab ride.

2) As others have said, riding up PCH from San Diego to LA is not that exciting, there are a few nice spots but nothing like the ride from Santa Barbera up to San Fran. And LA to the coast at Santa barbera is only like 45 min to an Hour.

From San Diego up to LA on PCH is about 4 hrs. of driving thru neighborhoods...

3) airfare from the GWN is probably less to LAX than to SDX.

Based on all the great feedback, we are probably going to fly into La and head north. We are looking at a total of 7 days on the bikes. How far north do you guys think we can get before we need to head east to Crater Lake and then south back to LA. Riding at a leisuely pace. I'm thinking 4 days north bound and then 3 southbound.

Also, there are tons of options for different rental bikes. I'm leaning towards an R1200RT. I am intrigued by the lighter weight, better response and all the updgrades over my 1150, but am still not sold on the looks of the 1200 over the 1150. This could possibly help me make up my mind.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sounds doable. 101/1 to 199 or 42 then over to Crater. Down 97 and around Mt. Shasta. Then down 89 to S. Lake Tahoe. After that, maybe west over Hwy 4 or 108 to 49 then back to the east over 120 to see the Yosemite high country. Then down 395 and enjoy the east slope of the Sierras. Could be some longer days than you've planned with this route though.

I wouldn't pass up on Yosemite but recommend going thru as early as possible to avoid the retiree Prius drivers who rent Class A motorhomes.

Definitely avoid 5 as much as possible.

What Peter said. California is so much more than the coast. Even if you cut across the top of the state and head south down 395, you'll be amazed by the landscapes you pass through. Just avoid the central valley (Hwys 5 and 99).

If you're gonna start in LA you might as well take one of the beach canyons Topanga/Malibu/Kanan/Decker north and then catch 23 to 126 into Santa Paula then take 150 into Ojai then take 33 north. It will give you and your friends a real treat. Stay on 33 'til 58 then take that west to hook up with the central coast for start of the best of Hwy 1.

If you start in early am I think that get you to Monterey/Santa Cruz by dark with the sun shining from the west on the rugged coast from San Simeon up.

If you're gonna start in LA you might as well take one of the beach canyons Topanga/Malibu/Kanan/Decker north and then catch 23 to 126 into Santa Paula then take 150 into Ojai then take 33 north. It will give you and your friends a real treat. Stay on 33 'til 58 then take that west to hook up with the central coast for start of the best of Hwy 1.

If you start in early am I think that get you to Monterey/Santa Cruz by dark with the sun shining from the west on the rugged coast from San Simeon up.

Great suggestion there.....

...and cut back to I-5 and head south.

JR356

Whatever you do, don't make I-5 part of your itinerary. JR356 should have his bmwstforum membership revoked for even suggesting such a thing!

:-p

I was only suggesting that if they were time constrained,as the OP's posts suggested.

It's real hard to make time in the central part of the state without some involvement of I-5 or 99.

And yes,we are well aware of your love of the "slab"

JR356

LAX to Monterey IS an "easy" one day ride, if you start buy 9:00AM! Weekday would be MUCH better than a weekend for the start, as the traffic on CA 1 North would be less. Stopping for photo's it's about 3.5 hours from SLO to Monterey.

Day two, 1 North to Fort Bragg, CA 1 all the way. You WILL have some time on a slab, to get through SF.

Day three, Bragg to Grants Pass, OR. CA 1 North of Bragg to 101 is THE road to ride! Very low traffic, low LEO count, and just a GREAT, FUN road to ride.(IMHO)

Day four, Grants Pass to Crater Lake, and then back down 97 to 89. Not sure of what town to stay in, as I've not had to.

Day five, Through Lassen Park, with a one hour picture/hike stop, and on down 89 and into 49. Stop someplace just North of Yosemite for the night.

Day six, Through Yosemite, onto 395, and south. The only "major" town is Bishop, but rooms are at least $100 per night for the "cheap" places because of Mammoth Lakes. About 1.5 hours South the room prices are better.

Day seven, ride on back to LAX, return bikes, and head for home.

This is just ONE PERSON, and one opinion. We all KNOW about opinions...

If you stick with the coast, it WILL be cold in the summer, about 60 and overcast. The pattern is usually five days of fog, and two good days. Just roll the dice, expect the worst, and enjoy the ride!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, our plans are starting to come a little more into focus. We are flying into San Fran on a Friday night and staying over. Picking up the rentals Saturday am and taking off. We are getting return flight out of San Fran the following Saturday am. So we will be riding from and back to San Fran for a total of 7 days.

We have picked up a lot of great feedback from you kind folks and have decided to concentrate on Northern Cali and Oregon. We also want to see the coast line while heading back south, so we are looking at doing a "counter clockwise" trip from San Fran, heading west from SF, then breaking north into Oregon, seeing Crater Lake, going NW to the coast line and then heading south back to SF.

We want to see Crater Lake, Grants Pass, the Redwoods, Yosemite, Oregon and North Cali. coast line.

Let's hear your favorite roads and ideas on this. All feedback, positive and negative welcome.

Thanks.

You only have a week, don't over plan. Relax, don't be in a hurry, stop a lot, eat a lot and take lots of pics.

If you want a nice diversion for part of a day, stop and see Hearst's Castle, even just touring the free information building is a lot of fun. If you want a tour you must get tickets way in advance.

If you like to camp, make sure you stay a night at Kirk Creek camp ground, the view is to die for.

417613913_gDYYC-L.jpg

Stop for food at Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing.

It is really all good, just remember, it will be crowded, so don’t get in a hurry.

trip from San Fran, heading west from SF
Wow, you've got one of them "float BMWs", didn't think they would be out until next year.

What tyres do you use? Do you have to change the oil more often? Do you use SeaFoam?

Killer, I noticed the same astonishing statement but I wanted to be nice and didn't point out that is he rides more than 15 minutes west he was going to up to his hubs in Pacific Ocean. He'd a missed the Bridge entirely.

Must be looking at an older map.

Killer, I noticed the same astonishing statement but I wanted to be nice and didn't point out that is he rides more than 15 minutes west he was going to up to his hubs in Pacific Ocean. He'd a missed the Bridge entirely.

Must be looking at an older map.

I thought perhaps they'd built a bridge to the Farralons since I left :grin:

OK, smart asses, we will be riding east from SF. Maybe I can use those new floating/balancing beads in my tires and kill two birds with one stone.

longjohn, please explain. Is that question or some good advice?

Archived