IGNORED

Idiot couple from Florida in N.Georgia on R1200RT this weekend.

g_nuse

It is bothersome to see a couple out riding their bike in beautiful Fall weather with color in the leaves, pleasant temperatures, lots of traffic, and them acting like irresponsible idiots.

Twice on Saturday I was passed in a no passing zone (you know, double yellow stripes) by this couple from Florida on a grey R1200RT, flat black helmets with flat orange artwork, her with a laced up pony-tail. There is a lot of traffic in the North Georgia mountains this time of year and I feel compelled to rant about people that spread such bad PR for the rest of us. There were pleanty of other vehicles that they subjected to this behavior.

If you know them, give them my regards. I guess they were just cruising around Dahlonega and TWO.

Nice to hear reports of reckless driving is not limited to riders of stereotypical rat bikes, squids and loud pipe Harleys.

I'd be willing to bet if you had offered friendly advice to the rider that his passing was both illegal and unsafe he would have told you to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Amazing how you know a lot about people just by the way they drive.

Ignore 'em, he'll get his ticket punched one way or another.

Twice on Saturday I was passed in a no passing zone (you know, double yellow stripes) by this couple from Florida on a grey R1200RT, flat black helmets with flat orange artwork, her with a laced up pony-tail. T

They passed you twice? :eek:

Just out of curiosity, what was the PSL on this stretch of road and just how fast were you going? ....Just askin'. :S

ShovelStrokeEd

Anyone driving slower than I is an idiot. Anyone driving faster than I is crazy.

A mantra I have long lived by. Of course, it doesn't stop me from chasing the crazy guy.

Was there an accident? Did you lose control of your bike from the shock of being passed, especially by someone 2 up on a touring bike? You are gonna hate an Unrally.

It is bothersome to see a couple out riding their bike in beautiful Fall weather with color in the leaves, pleasant temperatures, lots of traffic, and them acting like irresponsible idiots.

Twice on Saturday I was passed in a no passing zone (you know, double yellow stripes) by this couple from Florida on a grey R1200RT, flat black helmets with flat orange artwork, her with a laced up pony-tail. There is a lot of traffic in the North Georgia mountains this time of year and I feel compelled to rant about people that spread such bad PR for the rest of us. There were pleanty of other vehicles that they subjected to this behavior.

If you know them, give them my regards. I guess they were just cruising around Dahlonega and TWO.

Son...you ain't from around here are ya????

Hey, rules and laws ain't for bikes. We're smart enough to know when it is safe to pass on a double yellow line. And we speed when WE feel it is safe, because the speed limit signs never give us permission. What a rascally bunch we are.

But, we're self righteous also; if you pass me, you're crazy! If I pass you, it's your fault for going so slow!

Do you ALWAYS obey the rules??? lol

I commute in part on a two lane highway frequented by large trucks. There are several stretches were there are hills with double yellow lines for some distance. Now, since I'm riding a RT1200P, not only could I accelerate past these trucks quickly, but nobody would stop me because I'm riding a police motorcycle. Despite this, I instead wait patiently for the broken lines, riding along at 15-20 mph in the 55 mph zone. Why? Because it is the right thing to do and passing on the double yellows would set a very bad example for other drivers. It would typically increase their resentment toward police and solidify their belief that police officers abuse their power. This is also the reason I generally don't exceed 75-80 mph when commuting on the freeway (5-10 mph above traffic flow). I've seen plenty of motor officers zipping by at 90+mph on their commute home and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know many here feel that they should be able to ride how they please, including illegal passes and speeding. I agree with the OP that this only adds to motorist resentment toward motorcyclists and reinforces the stigma that we are all a bunch of @$$holes. Is it really that important to get to where you're going 5 minutes faster?

Evening g_nuse

I guess if that couple was riding erratically and aggressive by cutting other motorists off that is one thing but just passing some cars or bikes in a double yellow line zone is yet another.

I regularly pass a line of cars or cars/trucks in the double yellow line no passing zones. Sometimes those zones offer better and safer passing than the un-marked places.

To me personally I could care less about what marks are on the road, I do care about safe passing and if I see a safe distance ahead I go ahead and make the pass. In fact I feel safer passing in the double line zones as long as I have clear vision ahead and enough roll out room. By passing in the duel yellow line zones there is less chance a brain dead cage driver in a line of cars will pull out to pass just as I go by them.

Every driver or rider out on the road breaks the law occasionally be it 1 mph over the limit, or turning left into the R/H lane, or changing lanes with no turn signal, or whatever. I feel no different about passing on the double yellow As-Long-A It-Is-Safe-To-Do-So!

Evening g_nuse

I guess if that couple was riding erratically and aggressive by cutting other motorists off that is one thing but just passing some cars or bikes in a double yellow line zone is yet another.

I regularly pass a line of cars or cars/trucks in the double yellow line no passing zones. Sometimes those zones offer better and safer passing than the un-marked places.

To me personally I could care less about what marks are on the road, I do care about safe passing and if I see a safe distance ahead I go ahead and make the pass. In fact I feel safer passing in the double line zones as long as I have clear vision ahead and enough roll out room. By passing in the duel yellow line zones there is less chance a brain dead cage driver in a line of cars will pull out to pass just as I go by them.

Every driver or rider out on the road breaks the law occasionally be it 1 mph over the limit, or turning left into the R/H lane, or changing lanes with no turn signal, or whatever. I feel no different about passing on the double yellow As-Long-A It-Is-Safe-To-Do-So!

Hmmm... job security :grin:

Just don't bitch when the LEO doesn't share your view and gives you a ticket.

Evening g_nuse

As an aside, after a traffic collision very few drivers tell me, "I saw it coming, but I did it anyway." Generally it is more like, "I thought it was safe, that other guy came out of nowhere!"

The more judgement calls you make, the greater your chances of making a mistake. And do you really want everyone on the road to make judgement calls? No? So, what entitles you to do it?

Just asking...

I agree with the OP that this only adds to motorist resentment toward motorcyclists and reinforces the stigma that we are all a bunch of @$$holes.

I'll just add that the OP probably knows more about going fast and what's safe and what's not than anyone else around. In a previous life he was one of the fastest, smoothest, competitive racecar drivers I've ever seen, knocking off a few famous ones in the process, you know, people you've heard of. And he's a former owner of Road Atlanta racetrack where I'm sure he's witnessed everything from brutal stupidity to world class riding and driving.

If he says they were riding like idiots, trust me, that's what they were doing.

Thanks for those kind comments Bill.

I didn't put in all of the details, didn't think it necessary. The passing took place at two different times of the day. The first was around a curve on a hill.....trust me, they didn't see very far. I could have passed them if pace was the question.

My point was this was uncalled for. I live in the area and the GHP choppers, GHP and county cars make things tough enough. These people leave and some of us live with the results. Believe me, our EMT's get stretched pretty thin by bad decisions...every day in the area. They were unique in their behavior at the times I saw them.

I've been around this forum long enough to know that some wouldn't "get it" :)

I didn't put in all of the details, didn't think it necessary.

Sorry to 'out' you George, just thought a little perspective was in order. I knew what you meant.

g_nuse and roadscholar ... kudos for sanity. The rest of you are having a good time with and this an while I appreciate your hoon-humor, crossing the double yellow is usually stupid behavior.

The law is the law and I am no saint. I have two "performance awards" so far this year ... 20+ over in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and 20+ over on a long piece of empty four lane in eastern Arkansas. No one was at risk but me in these incidents and that is the acid test.

My guess is that g-nuse probably encountered this idiot on Blood Mountain, Hwy 60 or the Russell Parkway ... all great roads that are locally famous for their annual death toll.

I hope the mystery FL rider gains a little mature perspective before he kills someone. I have been 1st, 2nd or 3rd on scene of 4 serious moto accidents, all rider error, none fatal ... but listened to one womans anguished moans for 10 minutes while the ambulance transported her to the helicopter waiting at a scenic view parking area ... in the north GA mountains. Her husband was quiet, semi conscious, and transported first.

Morning MotorinLA

I never bitch when I get a ticket, as rule the ticket I get is usually for a lot less than I was entitled to. As a rule I just go to court and pay the fine then get the nice judge to drop the points.

BTW in my state we break the law on almost every pass even in the non double line areas as it is almost impossible to get around the cars or trucks in front in a reasonable amount of time or road without exceeding the basic state speed limit. So legally speaking for the most part the entire state is a large no passing zone.

What’s safer, passing 6 cars bumper to bumper in a row at 125+ mph on a long straight or passing them one at a time at 5 over the limit in a no passing zone with good visibility ahead?

Personally I pick the safest place to pass not the most legal.

Boy I can't wait 'til Bike Week so us Floriduh folks can see good examples of riding safely from all the dang yanquis who attend the festivities.

Fortunately many of them have been drinking so they have that going for them.

:/

The reason I'm posting this reply is because I don't understand how adding where they are from is productive.

The mc is apparently registered in Florida but the two riders could be visiting from Holland, for example.

If we want to talk about passing on double yellows in the mountains then so be it.

If we want to talk about idiots from Georgia, or California, then we should be talking about the quality of mental health care in a specific state, IMO.

If they had been from South Carolina or Tennessee would that be information to include?

Truth is, we don't know any more than they most likely own the bike, but unless you stopped and chatted with them, who knows.

I've passed on a double

but not too often in the mountains.

I respect the potential consequences.

Perhaps that couple has never encountered the elephant arount a blind corner and never will.

That's OK because I'll find it for them, twice.

:)

tallman, I will help you with understanding the use of their license plate source.......... I was hoping someone would recognize their description and tell them to grow up.

dirtrider got it right, this wasn't a case of excessive speed, but passing numbers of cars in places that might put them and others in danger.

This was not on Blood Mountain where spirited riding is always on.

Ok, I am sensitized to this because I got a face full of car last weekend when someone made a similar move. My bike and I reacted and the andrenalin didn't even kick in. Unfortunately two cars behind him took to the ditch because they saw what was about to happen.

I am always amazed and amuzed at why things get taken so personally around here. I wasn't trying to pick a fight or debate a point.

Ride safe.

Not taken personally.

But, when you characterize them as Idiots, I don't think that is conducive to constructive criticism nor would it be well received if they are board members and read the thread.

That's all.

I think we are all senstized to potential collisions.

I've survived 2 hit and runs on two wheels, t-bone thru the windshield in a Karmann Ghia, and others.

I've had to avoid poor drivers in the mountains and elsewhere.

I ride slowly up there.

Still find the proverbial elephant on an average of every 20-50 miles.

While maybe not getting as much attention, I think something like this might have worked for a Topic.

Passing recklessly in the mountains, 2up, was it you?

Anyone know a couple on a grey RT with Florida tags who were riding in N. Georgia this weekend?

Black helmets etc.

PM me if you're a board member or you know them.

Unsafe passing, IMO, on a double yellow can be a disaster.

Doing it twice almost says reckless disregard.

George I'm sure you have good intentions.

Best wishes.

Like many other responders, I too sometimes execute double-yellow lines passes in certain situations up in the mountains. Maybe I don't do it in as many situations as others who have posted here or perhaps as often, but there are indeed reasons to do it other than simply for the thrill/satisfaction of riding faster than the slow-poke(s) in front of me (btw I'm not at all saying I don't do that on occasion, too! :grin: ).

Other reasons? Any rider who allows themselves to be tailgated to within an inch of their lives on a limited access road with limited turn-outs simply is not driving defensively. Nor is the rider who continues to follow a vehicle dripping fluids or dropping other objects on to the road. Slowing down and/or stopping are not always your best/safest course of action. Therefore, not all 2-line passes are the worst possible events.

Now, I'm in no way suggesting these were reasons behind the two 2-line passes the OP witnessed. Clearly, the rider was executing 2-line passes simply to ride in free air out of (or specifically ahead of) the pack. I'm addressing the dogma and hyperbole presented here that all 2-line passes are so obviously wrong that anyone doing so is going to ruin motorcycling for everyone else.

Personally I am far ... no make that far, FAR ... less afraid of the driver/rider who knowingly violates traffic laws, best traffic safety habits, and/or road courtesies than those who do so unwittingly through igorance, inattention, and/or inability. I will however admit to sometimes being annoyed by those who do so knowingly.

Morning MotorinLA

I never bitch when I get a ticket, as rule the ticket I get is usually for a lot less than I was entitled to. As a rule I just go to court and pay the fine then get the nice judge to drop the points.

BTW in my state we break the law on almost every pass even in the non double line areas as it is almost impossible to get around the cars or trucks in front in a reasonable amount of time or road without exceeding the basic state speed limit. So legally speaking for the most part the entire state is a large no passing zone.

What’s safer, passing 6 cars bumper to bumper in a row at 125+ mph on a long straight or passing them one at a time at 5 over the limit in a no passing zone with good visibility ahead?

Personally I pick the safest place to pass not the most legal.

Thanks for the reply. There are many on this board that take responsibility for their actions and I think they are the silent majority. We don't hear from most of them, because they don't write a post about every ticket they receive. They are like you, dirtrider, they pay their ticket quietly and chock it up to "road tax".

The point I tried to make earlier was that we could all probably avoid much of this with a little more patience.

The second point was that there is a sense of entitlement expressed by some of the posters and that this can lead to problems. They feel entitled to ride they way they see fit, regardless of what the laws say. They justify their view by stating that they only do illegal things when it is safe. And of course, they are all self-proclaimed experts on what is "safe". As someone who is tasked with evaluating drivers' safety on a daily basis, I have come to realize that most drivers think very highly of their own driving abilities, whether or not that is actually true. Very few drivers say, "Officer, I'm not surprised you pulled me over, because I'm just not a very good driver." On the contrary, many drivers are indignant about getting a ticket because they are "good drivers", who are always "safe" and never do anything wrong. The number of traffic collisions that occur on a daily basis directly contradicts these drivers' claims. The fact is that the majority of drivers are average operators and of an average skill level when it comes to making judgement calls while driving. Many people also subscribe to the "if somebody else does it, I should be able to do it, too" doctrine. Thus the excuse, "There were other people speeding (or insert your favorite violation) too, how come I'm getting a ticket?" Generally followed by, "This is not fair!" A large portion of this attitude comes down to feelings of entitlement. I.e. "I should be able to decide what is safe and I should be able to break the law when I believe it is okay." Followed closely by, "I should be entitled to break the law, if someone else is doing it, too." If all drivers were permitted to make their own decisions about how to drive, I guarantee that our roads would be a lot less safe. This is the reason there are LEOs giving out thousands of tickets every day, to curb the average driver's sense of entitlement to decide what is "safe". So, if you still believe tickets have nothing to do with safety, I suspect you're just looking for self-justification and you're not really looking at the real world.

[whoa... almost took a spill there, getting off my soap box :smile:]

"with a little more patience."

May you enjoy your entire 2 week vacation riding behind all those blissfully inept, slow road blocks on the mountain roads of you choice. May they have polluting exhausts too to increase the level of pleasure of have patience.

As far as the 1st post goes, why didn't you watch your mirrors and make room in the lane so you didn't block them from their getting on with their mission from god?

Quite frankly all this comes down to being offended by someone doing something that you may have wanted to do. Then again, who are you to heap condemnation on them? Perhaps to change your Forum moniker to "He Who Knows Best"?

Gotta relax and be glad that couple is part of the solution to traffic slow downs. They are indeed leading the way. Then again they coulda had a horrific crash and ruined every ones day and boy, would there have been hand wringing then? Oh, the humanity.

Like my Dear departed Mom used to say, " Did you see what almost could have happened?" :S

To MotorinLA:

Well, that requires a year of discussion or nothing. Really, this discussion could go on uselessly for weeks, months, years, if we are to waste our time with doing nothing but ascribing bad motives to other posters, putting words in the mouths of others to create a strawman, or describing all the possible negative outcomes of someone's mindset (btw: a 2-edge sword that one is, and you've had your swing ;) ).

Now all that said, isn't it strange that if I now thank you for your service to your community that it sounds sarcastic? Words are funny, powerful things. We should use them with care too. By this I mean that I don't think you actually mean that you know for a fact that those who replied to the contrary (largely in fun as Steve_1150 pointed out) are the self-entitled, ignoramouses you just described them as. But you shouldn't imply it either.

50272_103510289683351_3729_n.jpg

Learn it.

Love it.

Live it.

This is what I was thinking when I asked the OP what the PSL was and how fast HE was going...

I don't make it a habit of breaking traffic laws (other than occasional speeding and rolling stops). However, there are times when the other driver is conducting himself (often times legally), in a manner that just tests the patience of other motorists.

You know who they are....and what they do.

If I were traveling on a long, less traveled road with a double yellow, and the guy in front of me is doing 45 in 55, or even 55 in a 55, and there's a mile of cars behind us....

I'm passing... sorry.

Hi there, in my opinion only stop signals (specialy school buses) ligths (at reasonable hours) and speed limits inside urban areas, deserve to be mandatory, the rest are just recomendations. The use of the law to criminalize the use of reason is an abuse an a crime, they only want our money.

tallman, I will help you with understanding the use of their license plate source.......... I was hoping someone would recognize their description and tell them to grow up.

Ok, I am sensitized to this because I got a face full of car last weekend when someone made a similar move. My bike and I reacted and the andrenalin didn't even kick in. Unfortunately two cars behind him took to the ditch because they saw what was about to happen.

I am always amazed and amuzed at why things get taken so personally around here. I wasn't trying to pick a fight or debate a point.

Ride safe.

Well said, as was your original post.

If I knew them, I would chew them out for that kind of behavior. We must first police ourselves individually, then each other. No one is perfect. We shouldn't be upset if someone points out our grevious errors to us so we can learn from them, not repeat them.

Peace all, y'all.

"with a little more patience."

May you enjoy your entire 2 week vacation riding behind all those blissfully inept, slow road blocks on the mountain roads of you choice. May they have polluting exhausts too to increase the level of pleasure of have patience.

As far as the 1st post goes, why didn't you watch your mirrors and make room in the lane so you didn't block them from their getting on with their mission from god?

Quite frankly all this comes down to being offended by someone doing something that you may have wanted to do. Then again, who are you to heap condemnation on them? Perhaps to change your Forum moniker to "He Who Knows Best"?

Gotta relax and be glad that couple is part of the solution to traffic slow downs. They are indeed leading the way. Then again they coulda had a horrific crash and ruined every ones day and boy, would there have been hand wringing then? Oh, the humanity.

Like my Dear departed Mom used to say, " Did you see what almost could have happened?" :S

I guess this is why you are "notacop" :smile:

To MotorinLA:

Well, that requires a year of discussion or nothing. Really, this discussion could go on uselessly for weeks, months, years, if we are to waste our time with doing nothing but ascribing bad motives to other posters, putting words in the mouths of others to create a strawman, or describing all the possible negative outcomes of someone's mindset (btw: a 2-edge sword that one is, and you've had your swing ;) ).

Now all that said, isn't it strange that if I now thank you for your service to your community that it sounds sarcastic? Words are funny, powerful things. We should use them with care too. By this I mean that I don't think you actually mean that you know for a fact that those who replied to the contrary (largely in fun as Steve_1150 pointed out) are the self-entitled, ignoramouses you just described them as. But you shouldn't imply it either.

Point taken, to some extent.

However, I find it disappointing that many active posters here so frequently appear to scoff at traffic laws and fall back on the "it's only for revenue" accusation to defend their own actions when they get caught doing something illegal. I'm sure I sound like a self-righteous and pompous @$$ to some, but I believe the issues I raise have some merit.

In this thread posters have pointed out that they feel safer passing on double yellow, because nobody else tends to pass at those locations. Now this only holds true, as long as those other drivers don't feel that it is safer for them to pass there, too. If everyone was allowed to make that choice individually, then it would no longer be safe to pass on double yellow, because everyone would be doing it.

So, my question is, why is it okay for you to not obey the rules, when you depend on everyone else to be good little law-abiding citizens to keep you safe?

BTW, isn't a discussion board created to "discuss" things? When it comes to emotionally laden issues it sometimes gets a little ugly. As long as it stays civil, isn't that acceptable?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I am always amazed and amuzed at why things get taken so personally around here.

Concur. Oh crap, was that an opinion?

Well, on one hand roadscholar's comments certainly add a degree of credibility to the OP, but on the other hand, he got passed by a two-up RT. I mean, really!

--

In this thread posters have pointed out that they feel safer passing on double yellow, because nobody else tends to pass at those locations. Now this only holds true, as long as those other drivers don't feel that it is safer for them to pass there, too. If everyone was allowed to make that choice individually, then it would no longer be safe to pass on double yellow, because everyone would be doing it.

So, my question is, why is it okay for you to not obey the rules, when you depend on everyone else to be good little law-abiding citizens to keep you safe?--

Morning Motorin

That be me!

I said “By passing in the duel yellow line zones there is LESS CHANCE a brain dead cage driver in a line of cars will pull out to pass just as I go by them.” I never said I depended on anyone to do anything, just a better chance someone wouldn’t pull out, not that someone wouldn’t/ couldn’t.

As an aside, personally I do pass over the double yellow lines as need and really pay little to no attention to yellow lines or no passing signs. I just use COMMON SENSE and pass only where it is safe to do so regardless of what some misplaced sign or road line says.

There are 3 roads within 5 miles of where I live that have NO no-passing or-double yellow lines in areas that I deem not a safe place to pass, one with a sharp curve with a hidden intersection about mid apex. Another with a dip so deep a semi could hide in it. There are also roads in my area that have no passing zones with double yellow lines painted on the road that have plenty of down road sight, no intersections, and not enough of a hill for a dog to hide in.

When the roads get straight with plenty of places to pass in my area the cars and trucks seem to jamb up and go nose to tail about 6-10 long like train cars. No place to pull in once a rider starts the pass so sometimes it takes upwards of 100 MPH to clear the whole shebang. On the other hand as the roads get a little more twisty or some dips and hills the cars and trucks seem to separate enough to EASILY/SAFELY allow single car/truck passes.

I have gotten my share of tickets in my life, probably enough for more than 5 riders but the only time I have even been stopped for making a pass was in a legal passing zone and that was due to passing a line of cars at over 140 MPH. The LEO wrote me for 10 over, I went to court, explained my case and the judge let me plead to “impeding traffic” small fine and no points. I thanked the judge, offered to buy him lunch, he declined as against policy. He said I looked familiar and asked if I had been before him before. I said yes about 4 months prior.

CoarsegoldKid

I can see where you are coming from on not appreciating the riders pass. I'm also not a fan of passing over the double yellow. I also make a point of staying in my lane when others I ride with use the other lane to execute a curve. I consider staying on my side a test of my lane position awareness and cornering skill. Often the double yellow is there because a road or driveway T's into it. A line of cars can obscure the T. Still I have crossed over to pass because when I can see clearly and the vehicle in front is traveling less than the posted speed and does not pull over when passing lanes are presented I settle the issue and do it. Each case is different but the guy with the ticket book usually decides against the operator.

Oddly enough a few months back I was pulled over for what is still a mystery to me now. I was riding my Italian Red Ducati on a small country road near my home. The speed limit is 55. I was at 55 until I came upon a line of cars and trucks. I did not pass. I did not attempt a pass. All of a sudden I get the CHP whoop whoop and blue lights. Where did this guy come from I asked myself as I took off my helmet and unplugged my ear phones? CHP said do you know why I pulled you over spiel. No. "You were speeding". No way! And I had to go very fast to catch you and you crossed over the double yellow. Wrong. As I was about to debate the accusation he then said, "don't worry I'm not going to write you." In this case I didn't do it and I didn't get the award.

However, I find it disappointing that many active posters here so frequently appear to scoff at traffic laws and fall back on the "it's only for revenue" accusation to defend their own actions when they get caught doing something illegal.
At the risk of sounding sarcastic ... then by all means, be disappointed! Seriously, you might as well wallow in it if you aren't willing to actually discuss the specific issues being raised, enlighten them with a few case studies that support your position, offer proofs/arguments that their success so far with breaking the law (in this case 2-line passes) is simply a matter of luck. Simply repeating over and over "but it's against the law" or verbally dismissing them as law-breakers for breaking this (and including any/all laws) simply ain't going to change anyone's mind, though it does make for some great kvetching. ;)

I'm sure I sound like a self-righteous and pompous @$$ to some, but I believe the issues I raise have some merit.
Let's face it ... if you didn't have some level of self-righteousness, you wouldn't be able to do your job whatsoever. To some point, it's simply necessary. The key is not to let that invade all other aspects of your life, and give yourself an undeserved air of importance in unrelated issues. Only then is it distasteful socially, right? It's doesn't seem that to be the case here, so no apologies are necessary.

And yes, your views and experience do have merit ... but some other views have been expressed that also have merit, ones that disprove the 100% compliance argument always being the safest route. No one has attempted to refute those points. If you want to understand why people do this ... all you need do is read rather than dismiss.

BTW, isn't a discussion board created to "discuss" things? When it comes to emotionally laden issues it sometimes gets a little ugly. As long as it stays civil, isn't that acceptable?
That was my point. Let's discuss the issue at hand ... Two line passing being acts so eggregious that all who do them risk our rights as rider because of bad PR are the issues at hand.

That said, I get that sometimes on the board we just want to rant. Goodness knows I do it too at times. However, let's be aware of when we are doing it ... and then also remain aware of the tendency to broad brush issues and topics, imply too much, offend the sensitive and the well-meaning alike, and most often divert the topic. Because I respect your position, experience, and your contribution to this discussion board, I'm trying keep things on the applicable subjects.

I appreciate the point and argument, though I don't exactly follow you thru to the conclusion that everyone would then be doing it. As it is right now, not everyone passes in marked passing zones. Doesn't that pretty much disprove your conclusion outright?

In fact, my experience in marked passing zones leads me to conclude the only "normal" behaviour is that nearly everyone speeds up, speed limit notwithstanding. :grin:

So, my question is, why is it okay for you to not obey the rules, when you depend on everyone else to be good little law-abiding citizens to keep you safe?
Extremely broad brush use of "the rules" which very incorrectly implies that I break all laws or that to break any one law ever is the same as breaking all laws. Suffice it to say that you and I disagree completely about the purpose and effect of the law, what part people play in maintaining civility, the role people play in changing laws, what motivates people to make the choices they do, etc. etc. etc. That is a very, very long debate better left to PMs.

But I think I see where you're going ... so I will answer a similar, but more direct version of that question.

"Why do I feel it acceptable to not always obey the law(s) restricting passing in no passing zones?

Some of these, both others and I have addressed, but let me be specific here so you can addres the points separately if you like:

1. When any vehicle in front of me (especially on any 2-lane mountain road) is leaking any fluid whatsoever, I will execute a 2-line pass as soon as I determine the risk of making that pass in a given spot is less than the risk of remaining where I was.

2. When I'm being tailgated incessantly on a limited access, limited turn-out road (ostensibly become the lead car(s) is/are going slowly, I will execute a 2-line pass as soon as I determine the risk of making that pass in a given spot is less than the risk of remaining where I was.

3. Sometimes when following a slower vehicle on a 2-lane mountain but with no one following me closely, I may execute a 2-line pass as soon as I determine the risk of making that pass is no greater than any of the other marked passing zone I have seen in my experience as a driver/rider.

Anyone of these things (especially #3) can be readily dismissed by someone who follows the law to the "nth" degree as me being selfish and feeling entitled. But in the interests of my own safety and my pillion I will never budge on items #1 & #2. I will however accept the consequences of those actions. If I should be cited by an LEO, I will try to explain to him the situation and my need to determine my best course of action. If that fails, I'll do the same with the judge. If I don't win that argument, I have little choice but to accept the consequences. But I'll be alive.

Now as for #3, am I feeling entitled to break the law? Regardless of what you think my underlying motivation (though emotionally satisfying the accusation may seem), the plain fact is I do so despite a law being in place ... simply because it's not that simple. I don't always pass in marked passing lanes because even in the best conditions some of them don't appear safe to me. This is in spite of the fact that "someone somewhere" in a local municipality determined it was a safe passing zone. I must trust my own judgment and abilities because I am the one responsible for my vehicle - regardless of all the laws in the world or the averages of the local hwy administration guidelines. Edit (Forgot to add following): So, I approach some no-passing zones with the same reasoning, relying on my own judgment. Besides that, we all know, passing lanes change with different assesments of the road, so it's not a black and white issue. Only enforcement is.

But again ... if I'm cited in that case, I simply accept the fine.

Boy, all this from a post about passing IN A CURVE, TWICE! I can see all the sides, as I've had my share of awards handed to me. Going back to the ORIGINAL post, it seems someone just wanted to let the people from FL know that you DO need to pay attention. The double yellow, no passing, and going 110 to get past a line of cars just seems off topic to me. But, I guess that's just my laid-back Left Coast way of thinking....

What we're missing in all of this is the OP telling us what was so extremely dangerous about the passes. Who did they put in danger? Anyone have to slam on brakes to give them time and room? More than one vehicle passed at a time with too much time and distance hanging out in the wrong lane? Was this hoon behavior or just someone using the abilities of a motorcycle to get ahead?

I could have written the same post about someone lane splitting in North Carolina. Would the California people on the board have leapt to that someone's defense? Sure they would; for them it's normal and defensively safe behavior.

----

There are obviously some that feel entitled to pass over a double yellow in areas where it's illegal, because they "can do it safely."

Guess that means it's OK to drive at triple digits, run red lights, drive drunk, text and drive, etc., as long as one "does it safely." And there are certainly plenty of people, probably some posting here, that feel they can do these things safely.

When folks start believing that laws apply to others, but not to them, things break down in a hurry.

And sure, I've exceeded the speed limit and even passed over a double yellow a time or two when behind ridiculously slow traffic, but I hardly feel righteously entitled to do these things, and I'm prepared to accept the consequences without whining should I get pulled over.

I think it becomes a question of frequency and degree, and to me, regularly passing cars illegally that are at or above the speed limit is over the line. Get it, "over the line?" :rofl: I guess everybody gets to make that assessment for themselves.

I think the big problem with passing on the double yellow is not that it's illegal, but that it's unexpected. At best, doing the unexpected gets you the ire of the drivers you startled. At worst, it gets you killed when the driver does something on the assumption that you won't be alongside.

I won't claim I've never passed on the double yellow, but I'll usually wait patiently for a passing zone or for turnouts. If the car has had a couple of chances to pull out and let me by but hasn't done it, I feel justified in passing them on the double yellow when it's safe to do so. By then, they know I'm there and it shouldn't be totally unexpected.

CoarsegoldKid

Guess that means it's OK to drive at triple digits, run red lights, drive drunk, text and drive, etc., as long as one "does it safely."

Been watching too much campaign ads have you.

Generally followed by, "This is not fair!"

When I was working, if I felt I could take the probable complaint, the above response was usually followed by either, "If you want fair, go to Sacramento in August" or "Fair is a place where you go to see blue ribbons on farm animals."

Sarcastic? Yes. Necessary at the driver's window? Oh hell no. But . . . everyday listening to people's excuses and sometimes out and out lies about their driving behavior will test even the most seasoned LEO on occasion.

The fact of the matter is folks are going to do what they think is right in each situation. I don't believe any motorist thinks passing against a double yellow around a curve is a good idea.

Like MotorinLA noted, the vast majority of motorists I contacted in my career over estimated both their driving ability and their vehicle's performance ability.

I'll usually wait patiently for a passing zone or for turnouts. If the car has had a couple of chances to pull out and let me by but hasn't done it, I feel justified in passing them on the double yellow when it's safe to do so.

That's the ticket, right there. Everybody do what Bill says. That's what I do.

I'll usually wait patiently for a passing zone or for turnouts. If the car has had a couple of chances to pull out and let me by but hasn't done it, I feel justified in passing them on the double yellow when it's safe to do so.

That's the ticket, right there. Everybody do what Bill says. That's what I do.

Agreed. This issue is all settled then, right? :/

Next thread please....

Yep, I know them both real well. I'll give them your regards. Watch out for him on his Tuono too! He can ride circles around all of us.

IMG_3020.jpg

I am the "idiot rider" you are speaking about. And I guess you are the "idiot" I have to negotiate around every day when I am out riding.

I happen to live in NC even though one of my bikes has an FL tag. For you to make pronouncements about my riding based on my FL tag is a sign of your ignorance. It so happens I ride these roads week in and week out. Every last one of them. 180, 60, 129, 68, 28, 76, 348, Cherohala, Dragon, and plenty more.

I am not going to say much more other than - what you should do is mind your own business and ride your own ride and stop minding my business. Maybe try being a bit more polite as well. Don't say things in print you wouldn't say to someone's face. Ride safe.

I am the "idiot rider" you are speaking about. And I guess you are the "idiot" I have to negotiate around every day when I am out riding.

I happen to live in NC even though one of my bikes has an FL tag. For you to make pronouncements about my riding based on my FL tag is a sign of your ignorance. It so happens I ride these roads week in and week out. Every last one of them. 180, 60, 129, 68, 28, 76, 348, Cherohala, Dragon, and plenty more.

I am not going to say much more other than - what you should do is mind your own business and ride your own ride and stop minding my business. Maybe try being a bit more polite as well. Don't say things in print you wouldn't say to someone's face. Ride safe.

Nice to hear reports of reckless driving is not limited to riders of stereotypical rat bikes, squids and loud pipe Harleys.

I'd be willing to bet if you had offered friendly advice to the rider that his passing was both illegal and unsafe he would have told you to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Amazing how you know a lot about people just by the way they drive.

Ignore 'em, he'll get his ticket punched one way or another.

What a surprise, I predicted cornerman's reply on the second post of this thread. Anyone have any troll spray?

Archived