IGNORED

East coast geocache continues

big-t

As you know,Jonathan's EC Geocache disappeared in NY,so I thought I would get it restarted.Been kind of busy so it has taken a while,but today was the day.I already had a spot in mind.A one lane road that twists and turns leads to cache,on a sunny day you will really enjoy the ride and views,if its raining... eek.gif good luck grin.gif

BTW, the road is closed from sunset to sunrise

The location:

IMG_0952_1.jpg

The view:

IMG_0946_1.jpg

After finding the site,find this sign

IMG_0954_1.jpg

Facing the front of the sign,look up on the bank on the other side of the road.This is what you are looking for.

IMG_0957_1.jpg

The cache is hidden along side the downed tree,covered up a bit.

IMG_0949_1.jpg

The prize.

IMG_0934_1.jpg

A couple of $6 Cuban cigars,a bottle of Scotch(been trying to get rid of that for years grin.gif)and some other items.Think about how cool you will be at El Paseo,smoking a $6 cigar and drinking free scotch clap.gif

IMG_0935_1.jpg

This cache needs to head south for the winter(probably not to southern Fla. grin.gif}..

We have lost a couple of these caches,so be careful where its placed and whose looking thumbsup.gif

BTW,I forgot to enter the location in the log,please do so when its found.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, you just want us to come thin the deer herd a little more.

grin.gifgrin.gif

The local news reported the deer kill in the three local counties,last year at 18k during deer season.

I believe I got the last one wink.gifgrin.gif

Let's go folks, get that geocache moving down the Atlantic Coast. I'll pass it on to a suitable location in Florida once it get's to South Carolina.

It might be missing a cigar or two, though. grin.gif

So big-t is nice enough to go hiding some cool stuff in the woods and provides some coordinates and pictures to help someone find it. Well I like to find stuff and it sounded like a great excuse for a ride so I off I go with a friend (Chris aka Red_Roadster) for my very first geo-cacheing experience armed with nothing but my GPS and a silly assumption that the supplied coordinates will take me right to the stash (or at least within 30 feet or so).... Well...It turns out that while big-t did supply very good clues, he's also a sneaky stinker smirk.gif

So here's where the coordinates take you....big-t's clues clearly show a "do not enter" sign and while the "view" he supplied as a clue didn't match, I foolishly didn't get too caught up in that detail. dopeslap.gif

CoordinateLocation.jpg

So trying to follow the directions I go off looking for the described "downed tree". Well..... There're plenty of trees in the woods....

lotsoftrees.jpg

Plenty of downed trees in the woods too! This shot was taken as I responded to a wise crack from Chris.... he's a stinker too.

Finger.jpg

OK.... So after spending 45 minutes or so looking around we decided to give up and go get some lunch..... As we headed South on the Parkway we came across the entrance to the "one way, four mile loop"..... The coordinates supplied by big-t were for the other "exiting" end of the loop...... So Chris and I decided to go check it out. After a mile or so we came across another "do not enter" sign and this time the view (an important clue) matched and with just a little looking we finally found success!

Hereitis.jpg

And here's Chris and I posing with our new found booty!

2Guys.jpg

So while this was a lot of fun I still think that big-t is a stinker. The coordinates had to be better than a mile away from the actual location of the cache. Next time I'll have to pay more attention to the clues dopeslap.gif.....especially if they came from big-t. thumbsup.gif

Next weekend I plan to place the cache in a new, more southerly location.

You didn't really think big-t knew how to use the GPS....did you???

dopeslap.gifblush.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

That must have been the problem confused.gif

That was the first time I used my new Quest 2.I marked the location in the parking lot across from the geocache.Checking the coordinates just now, on map source,puts the location on the BRP,a 1/4 mile north of the actual location,(and about 500 feet below).That actually shows on the GPS screen picture. confused.gif

Roanoke Mountain overlook Road did not show on my GPS.I assumed it was because the map detail was not turned up,but the question is...why did the GPS mark the location to the nearest road instead of the actual location???

Ed,I apologize for sending you on a wild goose chase,but I'm glad you figured out the puzzle clap.gif Good detective work.

Now taking my embarrassed self into the backroom with the GPS manual to learn about waypoints dopeslap.gifconfused.gif

Haaaaaaahahahahahaha! Actually I assumed you did it on purpose! The combination of the textual hints and the pictures (especially the one of the view) all seemed to be planned. I thought it was brilliant.

That was the first time I used my new Quest 2.I marked the location in the parking lot across from the geocache.Checking the coordinates just now, on map source,puts the location on the BRP,a 1/4 mile north of the actual location,(and about 500 feet below).That actually shows on the GPS screen picture.

Roanoke Mountain overlook Road did not show on my GPS.I assumed it was because the map detail was not turned up,but the question is...why did the GPS mark the location to the nearest road instead of the actual location???

Got the crutches out and hobbled down to the garage to retrive the GPS,got to figure out what I did wrong,besides get out of bed that morning. tongue.gif

It didn't take long to figure out that I had somehow got into the "where am I" menu while I was trying to mark the geocache.

The "where am I" menu is primarily used in a offroad setting to find your way back to the nearest road or intersection.The first time you push the "find" button it locates the nearest road or intersection,and when you push the "ok", it makes a point on that road, a waypoint,so you can navigate to it.

Thats how the waypoint got switched to the BRP instead of the geocache,Should have known,the clue,is the N .27....DUH...I'll do better next time dopeslap.gif

IMG_0952_1.jpg

I'll do better next time dopeslap.gif

Like they said, you done good ... just enough of an error to still lead them to the prize, and enough ambiguity to really make it interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... The East Coast GeoCache is in it's new location and just waiting for someone in perhaps the Charlotte area or maybe Northern South Carolina to come and get it. First.... here're the coordinates..

coordinates.jpg

Now if you're gonna go get this thing and the Coordinates are good enough for you...well then stop reading already! But if there's no chance of you heading out here from perhaps Austria or Holland to get a box of free stuff keep scrolling down...

This is what you're looking for along the main road

viewfromroad.jpg

After we found a good place to park, it was time to add a little and take a little from the GeoCache:

Brian (EdsTagAlong) added a CD of MP3's that he got during EP3 I think... give them a listen and see what you like:

Briansaddition.jpg

I came across the zookwax in the cache so I swapped it for a Cliffbar:

whatedtook.jpg

Now here's the landmark you need to find in the woods:

shack.jpg

Beware though.... for some reason there's some barbed wire at head height along the path to the shack....there were a bunch of things hanging on it already.... we added a key fob from the GeoCache... if you want to, you could take it down again and re-add it to the cache:

Warning.jpg

So walk by the old shack and take in this view before going to your left:

TheView.jpg

Now go to the left and stay to the high ground..... Here's where the cache is hidden:

Lookhere.jpg

Of course there are things in the woods to be avoided.... watch out for this guy.... his parents must've dropped him on his head when he was a child:

Crazyman.jpg

Sweeeeeet! Way to go dudes. I'm glad to see the excuse to ride continue. You guys put much nicer stuff in the sport-touring caches than I ever did. thumbsup.gif

Y'all have some interesting countryside back there in the east. One day I need to ride some of it. Not next week though. I'll be sliding a car around the roads of northeast PA near Wilkes-Barre. No moto fun for me! tongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...

OK...as far as I know that cache is still sitting where Brian and I left it.... certainly there's someone around Charlotte who wants to come pick it up and move it a little further South? frown.gif

Put 'em into Google Local.

Like so (for the starting location posted by Big T):

51252094-L.jpg

But marking the ending location will be a bit more challenging.

Randy Shields and I picked up the geocache on Sunday during a beautiful brisk ride out into the central piedmont of NC. We took a few pics and Randy should be posting them up shortly.

.==:.Wow good thing I checked here first. I was going to finish a long ride by picking this up and moving it along.

Please let me know where/when placed and I'll try to keep it moving.

Cheers! - thumbsup.gif

Sorry for the delay in posting pics, but will get to that soon. In the meantime, plan on the next stop for the Geocache being south. . . much further south. We've seen lots of interested posts from our riding buddies in GA and FL, some of whom are specifically eyeing the Cubans and Scotch -- which still reside in the cache. I'll be heading down to Cedar Key next weekend and plan on a minor detour either on the way down or back. Next stop for the box -- a swamp somewhere in Dixie; no ice (like JohnBoy and I had to deal with), but there might be a few snakes about!

RandyShields

• 1 month later...

Yes, Steve Foote and I hid it outside of Cedar Key on the ride there a few weeks ago. Have the clues and photos ready, just can't push through the photos on my dial up. dopeslap.gif Finally broke down and will be getting broadband tomorrow, so a full post will follow shortly. Sorry to all for the delay, but I can be a bit stubborn -- or so says my wife.

Randy

Hopefully, we won't have to hear any more whining and moaning from the southern contingent, now that the Geocache has finally moved from the ice and cold northeast of the Uwharrie National Forest of NC to the warm breezes of the dense woods outside of Cedar Key.

JohnBoy Madel and I carefully followed the clues of our brethren from Raleigh, and braved near freezing temps for the ride across NC to locate the geocache in the woods, near a southern church and mining quarries.

PC070054.jpg

No doubt the county was dry, but the cache contained sinful items for the bible belt, such as a pint of Scotch, Cuban cigars, and other assorted rider-related goodies.

PC070060.jpg

We plundered what we would, and restuffed the box with a refrigerator magnet containing genuine scenes from NC, a CD of BMW rides, and a small model of a BMW bike (we don't want to hear any shit about the fact that the model is a C class cruiser. Just be happy that we left the Scotch and a couple of cigars.)

PC070062.jpg

Several weeks later, with the cache strapped to the rack of my bike, it found itself moving south, like the little troll in the travel commercials. After a great lunch with the FL crew in Cedar Key (where, by the way, I won the "coveted" long ride award for the trip from Charlotte), Steve “RightSpin” Foote and I headed out to do our dirty work.

Heat and bugs abounded, as we avoided any number of swampy resting places.

If you’re looking to "cache" in, turn here.

PC210081.jpg

Look here:

PC210076.jpg

Don't mind the local warnings. They only come out with their shotguns at night.

PC210078.jpg

We even stuck a stake in the ground as a guide right where Steve is pointing.

PC210079.jpg

If you must know, you might look at N29 12.808; W083 02.829. Steve even added some local flair -- a Cedar Key boat in a bottle! WARNING -- items must be removed from the cache, as it is quite full.

PC210077.jpg

Enjoy the hunt.

grin.gif

Ruh roh ... Newbie at work. Sorry for the photo sizes. First time posting pictures to the board. I'll ask about to learn how to shrink them.

Randy

Crippies! You guys put better stuff in there than Brian and I did. Almost makes me want to ride down to FL, grab some stuff and then re-hide the cache in Uwharrie again..

The DVD was a promo that I picked up at the MotoGP race in Laguna Seca last year. It's quite interesting and includes a historical storyline as well as a few 'promos' on thier new line of bikes.

My thinking was that whomever "snagged" the geocache could watch the DVD and then return it to the box for others viewing pleasure.

Enjoy!!

Calvin, you doggie. I was gonna sneak over there tommorrow afternoon. Had I been successful, I was thinking it might relocate at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine; Tallman would need a lot of KFC. grin.gif Seriously, I thought maybe in the vicinity of BIKE WEEK, it could end up almost anywhere after that, but its yours to decide. Congratulations. I do have some ideas though. PM me.

Bill

I got it at 11:00 this AM....Foggy all the way...

I was a bad boy... I couldn't wait any longer... dopeslap.gif

way to go calvin. let's see...could fill it with some nice jax beach sand, atlantic ocean water and some st johns river shad. easy enough.

Calvin,

You bastage. grin.gif

I even borrowed a GPS and was going to relocate off one of the highest hills in the panhandle. Right in the middle of a 400 foot elevation changing ( eek.gif)curve.

I shoulda known my cigar smoking buddy would break down and snipe the Cubans. tongue.gif

Tomorrow was going to be my first workday day off for personal reasons this century. dopeslap.gif

Oh well, early bird and all that. thumbsup.gif

7126brd.jpg

Calvin  (no socks)

Tim, I did the deed and called in... the first time in 10 years...I'm a real Sneaky Bastige...

I was hoping I would bump into another BMW from Tallahassee...it would have been a real wrestling match... grin.gif

Calvin, the real question on Randy's and my mind is how much flesh did you have to hand over to the sand gnats while you were looking for it? tongue.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

I was stopped for 4 minutes... and it was very foggy... a great day to wander in the swamp by myself...until I heard crashing in the palmetto and expected to see a bear come out!!!!!! eek.gif

Calvin, great job. thumbsup.gif Obviously, Steve and I didn't do a very good job hiding it if it only took 4 minutes to find it. Hell, it took us that long just to untie it from my bike! cool.gif

Sorry Tim, I know you were chomping for one of those cigars. Glad the gators didn't get it in the time it took me to get broadband and have Ed push me to learn how to post photos.

Tim, I did the deed and called in... the first time in 10 years...I'm a real Sneaky Bastige...

I was hoping I would bump into another BMW from Tallahassee...it would have been a real wrestling match... grin.gif

just forwarded this to your boss. confused.gif

Headed down to FL on March 10th... so, um, I'm wondering if the Cache will be out and about... crazy.gif

Okay, remember, I'm not saying I have the ability to get it, but just in case. I've been tracking it since it got to the east coast. The weekend that it got picked up in NY I was headed up the next day! bncry.gif So, I've got my fingers crossed.

I promise to fill it with really good stuff and watch the DVD and put it back and everything clap.gif (is that enough of a beg and whine?! smirk.gif)

Thanks for the fun with this thumbsup.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Headed down to FL on March 10th... so, um, I'm wondering if the Cache will be out and about... crazy.gif

/hijack

Going down for the motor maids convention at bike week? If so, tell my Aunt Betty I said hi!

/endhijack

Shawn

• 1 month later...

Ah.....so is the geocache still resting in the alligator nest??? eek.gif

Any chance for an El Paseo appearance,I was thinking those cigars and scotch might make for a good evening clap.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

El Paseo is the goal. I have been planning a game to locate the "Cache". It will be more difficult than one GPS location.... and some thinking will be involved. Anyone wishing to locate it will need a few items to remove the clues... A claw hammer and a #2 pencil (un sharpened)...I may solicit help in the placement, or may place it on the way.... dopeslap.gif

Archived