IGNORED

'09 K1300GT clutch issue......HELP!!

Firefight911

Firefight911

OK, a little background;

Just over a year ago I went on a long trip to Colorado and back. While on the way out and, especially, on the way back I noticed a change in the lever action of the clutch. It seemed that with prolonged stints the clutch lever would lose up to half of its throw before the clutch would firm up and it would function. The problem seemed to be exacerbated with heat. Disconcerting to say the least. After my return I took the bike in to the dealer who bled the clutch. It appeared that the problem went away.

Now, fast forward a year to last month where I decided to do another Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 (1000miles in less than 24 hours). During this ride, I noticed a return of the above problem again. This time it was a bit worse than last time. I actually had been experiencing the issue for a month or so prior to this but, admittedly, had not made the connection. Again, higher heat exacerbated the problem.

Again, a trip to the dealer. This time around they replaced the clutch master cylinder and, again, bled the system. Due to scheduling, etc. I picked the bike up in my truck so did not ride it from the dealer. I did make a comment to the Service Manager that the clutch lever felt very smooth and improved over previous. It appears that this was only due to its newness and not from solving any problem.

I went out today for my first ride since having the work done. ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!! It is still there, and now it is worse than ever.

If I am sitting there in neutral with the engine running, static, the clutch action is fine. As soon as I pull away and get the clutch fully engaged and then begin a moderate acceleration I can feel the clutch action go away down to about half the lever travel. This tells me a couple things; 1) It was not the clutch master cylinder to blame and, 2) it appears to be harmonically driven. By this I mean that, to me, there must be air in the system that the normal engine vibrations are causing the air pocket to foam and, thereby, cause the loss of lever travel before clutch take up. Or, am I way off base and I, perhaps, have a bad clutch slave or something in the clutch itself is bad? First gear is the worst but it is not isolated to just first gear. Fourth gear sees it at its next worse level.

I have searched the boards and found these previous threads that seems to be relatively consistent with what I am experiencing;

http://www.bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14171

http://www.bmw-k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13434

and, finally

http://www.bmw-k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12547&p

Needless to say, the bike needs another trip in to the dealer to get this issue resolved once and for all. I am just trying to make sure I have done my homework as my dealer is, well, not always firing on all cylinders. How they could not "see" the issue after the master cylinder replacement during the test ride is beyond me. I hadn't made it to the end of my street and noticed it right away.

Any help would be appreciated here. I want to be able to go in and, if necessary, hold my dealer's hand all the way through this process so I don't lose more time to the shop than necessary. The bike has spent just over a third of its life there sorting all the "issues" and I am quite done having to go in there for service, recalls, and warranty work.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Phil,

It's not that much further over the hill to Sierra.

I think you'd be happier.....

Of course, if I'd experienced what you have with your bikes recently, I'd be looking for some German butts to park the d@mn things in.....

Wow Dude, you got the patience of a clam!

If I went through all the shit you've gone through with that bike, (After paying whatever you paid for it?) I'd rev up the motor in 2nd gear, latch the throttle on, and send through A&Ss front window!!! There ya bastids, can you hear me now? (Or at least evoke the lemon law?) :D

Don't they ride a bike after they work on it? If so they shoulda noticed the problem still exists and not had you waste all your precious time driving down there, load'in the bike in yer pick-em-up truck, going home and unloading it only to find it's the same as it ever was?

Sorry I can't help with the actual clutch issue, good luck with that thing!

I've been chasing the same problem for over a year now!

Rebuilt the master: no help, replaced the slave: no help, replaced the line with a steel braided one: again no love.

It's enough to bring me to the point of pushing it off a cliff at times.

Last thing I've done is to replace all the crush washers on the line and it seems to be working so far but it's still not perfect.

Interestly it would be fine at the beach but almost always come back when in the Mt's. It's made for some interesting rides for sure. I'm pretty good at starting off from a stop without using the clutch.

Turn bike off, put it in N, turn bike biack on, put it in 2nd gear and push the starter.

Firefight911

Don't they ride a bike after they work on it? If so they shoulda noticed the problem still exists and not had you waste all your precious time driving down there, load'in the bike in yer pick-em-up truck, going home and unloading it only to find it's the same as it ever was?

I went and did a quick look in to this. NOPE! They never test rode it. It had the exact same mileage when I picked it up as it had on the work order from when I dropped it off.

Tuesday is gonna be an interesting day! :mad::mad:

Thanks to this problem, I had to cancel and miss our annual track day/rider skill improvement day. I was so looking forward to it as well.

They never test rode it. It had the exact same mileage when I picked it up as it had on the work order from when I dropped it off.

Are you sure they did anything at all?

Firefight911
I recall you had quite the infatuation with A&S... not so much anymore I take it.

It's been quite some time since the word "infatuation" has been used by me when discussing A&S. Quite some time indeed. I have been more a consultant to them on how to lose customers. Errr, sorry, I meant to say keep customers. I've been trying to do that. They've improved but are no where near where they need to be, OBVIOUSLY!

Phil,

You know I believe in supporting a local dealer.

To not ride the bike after performing service is malodorous malpractice.

Time to photograph, document, and communicate with the mother ship.

I wonder if the plethora of problems your bike has had is a result of this level of professionalism.

Good luck.

Phil,

I bought my 09GT just after you from Ozzie's. 16K + mi. now. I've had none of the clutch issues you mention, even after a recent 1500 mi speed run run to Boise and back through the hot Nevada desert. At least not yet anyway!

Had it in for every scheduled service. latest @ 13K

What mileage did you start to get the problem?

Also have they tried using a different fluid, the same quality or better than OEM? (foaming can happen with inferior fluid)

Hope it gets sorted out

John in Grass Valley

Sounds like a slave issue Phil.

( No, not your relationship with A&S )

Next time it happens, pump the lever for confirmation.

Dude, I'm really feelin' for ya.

MB>

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager. Yep, they NEVER did a post repair test ride!

It's my birthday today so I am going to choose the high road and try and let it go........for now!

More to follow!

OK, I took the middle road.............

Jeff,

I just got off the phone with Tim Whelan, A&S's Service Manager.

He came right out and admitted there was never a test ride performed on my K1300GT after the clutch master cylinder was replaced and the system being, supposedly, bled.

I hope you share this information with Randy Felice, owner of A&S. I am very knowledgeable about how he maintains a keen eye on his exposure to liability. I wonder what his response to his Service Department not protecting his dealership from liability by not testing and verifying work product prior to releasing it back to your customers would be?

Tim had no answers as to how he was going to address my motorcycle's clutch issue other than to say he would be back in touch.

That's it? He calls at 5:45 PM on August 31 after having known of this issue for, at least, the entire day and all he can do is to ask me what the bike is doing and that he will look in to it and get back to me. This is completely unacceptable.

I want an answer from A&S and/or BMW as to how they are going to rectify this issue, when they are going to rectify this issue, and what remedies I might expect as a result prior to Thursday at 5 PM or I will consider consulting an attorney to explore any avenues I may legally have against A&S, its employees, agents, and/or BMW.

I feel I have been more than cooperative with A&S and BMW since initially purchasing this motorcycle. It has spent no less than one third of my ownership time at the shop for a variety of reasons. Other than tires and scheduled services, none have been through any fault of my own. As a matter of fact, I have never actually paid for a service on this motorcycle due to the below and above listed reasons. A&S has consistently waived all services fees and costs as a result of the many and varied issues I have had with A&S and this BMW motorcycle. A&S has also consistently offered me discounts on merchandise and parts as a result. Additionally, BMW purchased a BMW Trailgard jacket for me as a result of the many issues related to this motorcycle.

This quite clearly indicates an acknowledgment on A&S's and BMW's behalf that there are issues that fall well out of the norm for what an owner of this motorcycle brand and type should expect or have to endure.

A&S has had my motorcycle picked up from my house and/or I have delivered my motorcycle to A&S for various reasons as a result of shoddy work, warranty work, recalls, go backs, and BMW and A&S issues more than anyone should at this time. I have documentation from you acknowledging the above.

I also have still not received any information concerning the previously noted PUMA requests. Please provide this information at your earliest convenience.

I plan on arriving at your dealership on Thursday morning to perhaps discuss this issue with either you and/or Randy Felice. If there is a best time on Thursday morning please advise.

Sincerely,

Phil Challinor

Meeting tomorrow with A&S.

More to follow.

Thanks for the off air comments. Some encouraging words and some good advice. Thanks!

Meeting complete.

It was long, calm, un-emotional, completely business centered, and well, "productive." I guess we'll see.

They kept the bike and the General Manager drove me home. We had a good discussion. But, discussion is just words until actions follow.

We'll see what transpires.

The plan is to replace the slave and clutch line as well. Their decision not mine. Once this is in place they will be performing a bleed of the system followed by an extended follow up in terms of test riding, follow up with the mother ship, etc.

Once this is done, they will call me back in and I will perform my own test ride and report back my findings. The bike will not leave the dealership until the issue is resolved and all systems on the bike are functioning properly.

The saga continues.............

Ooh!!! Ouch!!!!

I just got off the phone with the mother ship!!!! Psst, they are not very happy right now!

They have pledged full support to resolving the issue and will be making arrangements for a BMW engineer to assist/oversee any repairs A&S performs.

I have not had the pleasure of having the mother ship distance themselves from a dealership as they just did. Nice!

Saga continues.....

Phil,

Time is on their side.

And, it will take time.

Probably waaay too long AFA you're concerned.

Keep scrupulous records.

Write down every statement/promise/inference with time/date/location/source.

Ten months from now you'll be glad you did.

Best wishes.

Keep scrupulous records.

Write down every statement/promise/inference with time/date/location/source.

Oh yes!!!

This email will serve as a follow up to our meeting this morning as well as to memorialize it. If something I have written here is incorrect please respond and correct as necessary.

A&S has taken receipt of my 2009 BMW K1300GT as of this morning, September 2, 2010 for purposes of correcting the previously failed service/warranty work as it relates to the clutch system. A&S BMW has indicted that they have ordered all parts relevant to the clutch and clutch actuation system. These parts include but are not limited to the clutch steels, clutch friction plates, clutch hydraulic fluid line, slave cylinder, etc.

A&S BMW will methodically review my motorcycle and the clutch operation beginning with the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder and clutch fluid line. After this has been accomplished a thorough flushing/bleeding of the mineral oil will take place. Once complete, a thorough exam of all the work will be performed and then a complete and extended test ride and work review will take place. If it is determined that these actions have resolved the issue I have been dealing with then, and only then, will I be contacted to come in to A&S BMW to perform my own test ride/review of any and all work complete prior to my accepting bike back to my possession.

If the above fails to correct the clutch issue, A&S BMW will perform a work review and then proceed to diagnose and repair the clutch system by way of additional clutch system parts such as the clutch steels, friction plates, clutch basket, etc. until such time as the motorcycle is functioning properly. Again, after the issue is determined to be corrected there will be another review of all work followed by an extended test ride/review prior to me being contacted to come down to A&S BMW to perform my own review/test ride.

I agree to work with A&S BMW to resolve this issue by way of feedback and follow up and answering of any questions necessary to affect repairs to return this motorcycle to normal operation. I feel I have provided you, Tim Whelan, Clinton Riggins, and your technicians more than ample information at this point to quickly resolve this issue. If more information should be needed, do not hesitate to contact me for clarification.

I do want to remind A&S BMW and BMWNA that, yet again, I am without this motorcycle and it is, again, in the shop for repairs through no fault of my own. I feel it only fitting to ask for front of line service treatment to quickly, efficiently, and effectively fix any problems this motorcycle is experiencing and return it to me, fixed, promptly. I have paid A&S BMW in full for this motorcycle at the time of purchase. I would like to actually have the opportunity to ride it since I paid for it.

I would also expect that A&S BMW will perform a thorough review of every system of this motorcycle while it is in its possession, not just the clutch. This should include the engine operation, fueling, engine management, driveline, etc. It should involve a complete and thorough driveability review to ensure that the operation of this motorcycle falls fully and completely within the operating guidelines BMWNA establishes for this motorcycle. If, for example, there is any doubt as to whether a hesitation at XXX rpm is normal I expect A&S BMW to ask for any assistance to resolve the issue or determine that it is considered "normal" operation. Also, please perform a complete review of any necessary database to ensure all recalls, service reminders, and/or updates have been performed and properly documented. There should be a written report back to me on these findings and any resolution or information related to them when I receive the motorcycle back from A&S BMW.

Finally, please ensure that the motorcycle is at least as clean as it was upon my delivery to you, the tires are properly inflated, and the entire motorcycle has had an independent review for any and all items that might surface upon my arrival for my test ride/review. There should be no opportunity to find a panel out of place or a screw missing or loose, for example. Since you indicated that you will be performing an extended period of test riding, I feel it prudent to ask that you return the motorcycle to me with a full tank of gas.

As you indicated in our meeting, A&S has no more excuses or explanations to offer. As such, please don't make any upon my retrieval of the bike back from you.

Finally, if prudent and needed, please keep me up to date on the progress of any repairs. I do not expect these repairs/review to occur overnight but would be greatly disappointed if any extended time goes on without some form of status update, even if this status is nothing other than to tell me nothing has happened because we are awaiting parts. Keep me informed.

Sincerely,

Phil Challinor

Dennis Andress

Too many words.... They'll just look at you with a blank expression and wonder what you want....

(Good luck. :wave: )

Too many words.... They'll just look at you with a blank expression and wonder what you want....

(Good luck. :wave: )

My showing up and saying, "fix it", doesn't seem to have worked either. :)

Good luck Phil. The slowness and inability to fix items properly the first time and in a timely fashion is perhaps the most frustrating part of dealing with BMW dealers and BMWNA. As you succinctly stated, "I would like to actually have the opportunity to ride it since I paid for it." Amen.

Latest update has the clutch master cylinder, clutch fluid line, and slave cylinder all replaced. NOPE, that didn't fix it. It still does the same thing.

The saga continues.........

No, they still haven't fixed it.

Went in, unannounced, to A&S today. Just as I expected, my bike was stuffed in to the storage area and no work was being done. The right fairing was absent and the clutch lever freeplay is more than it ever has been. Shocker!

You just have to ask the question - if the problem is still there, only worse, is it something else or is it the techs/procedures being used to fix it?

BMW corporate contacted A&S via PUMA along with a phone call from engineering that they are being directed to replace the clutch and inspect the clutch and transmission internals.

I am told this is to occur "over the next few days."

Trying to find my happy place!

Every single step of the way has me documenting and forwarding correspondence to both A&S and BMWNA.

Heather doesn't deserve this. It feels like visiting a family member in ICU at the hospital. Just not a good thing to ever have to do.

Yes, I still get giddy about this bike for the times she gives when she isn't in the shop.

Talk about a bitter sweet marriage.

The sage continues.........

Test drive by me tomorrow.

Parts replaced -

Clutch master cylinder

Clutch fluid line between master and slave

Slave cylinder

Entire clutch pack and associated parts

We'll see if this saga continues or it is over or it has merely pulled in to port for a visit.

Nope. Not fixed. Unsafe.

I have now officially asked for a new motorcycle.

I am not sorry to hear that, but I am sorry for all the hassle you have endured.

What was their reaction to the no doubt polite request?

(see you Thursday)...

Dennis Andress

That really bites. I wonder if BMWNA has a corporate wrench who would double-check the work. But then again, I wonder what the shop I use down here would find if they looked...

Dennis

Perhaps the delay works in your favor.

California Motorcycle Lemon Law

Wow. That's a pretty horrible site. The provisions they're referring to from the Tanner Consumer Protection Act don't apply to motorcycles. They apply only to "new vehicles", and California specifically excludes motorcycles from its definition of "new vehicles".

Nope. Not fixed. Unsafe.

This is unbelievable. A friggin clutch has them baffled.

Phil you deserve better treatment. I hope you get your money back and spend it somewhere else.

What pray tell is so strange about the clutch system that it can't be diagnosed?

What does the collective brain trust think the solution is going to be. Is there a diagram somewhere on the interweb?

Greg, as I noted, Fl. excludes mc's.

I just thought Cali was more enlightened and the site had it right for Florida.

:dopeslap:

Sorry, that is too bad.

There are certain buzz words and phrases that may help and the Philanator is on the right track.

Test drive by me tomorrow.

We'll see if this saga continues or it is over or it has merely pulled in to port for a visit.

Nope. Not fixed. Unsafe.

Hmmm. Let me get this straight:

They made repairs previously, and didn't test ride the bike.

They now again make repairs, and ask you to do a test ride presumably for you to 'accept' the repairs they made most recently. One would think they would have internal quality checks, so they could call you and say "All fixed! It was a rough road, but we've got it this time. Thanks for your patience."

One would think...

Very disappointing they are using their customers as a quality check.

I can see from the diagram that air is in the slave. Me thinks the bleed procedure is lacking creativity. Perhaps they can get the "experienced" tech on the job instead of the tire changer who has been slow lately. Hell I'm just guessing.

So what is the approved/accepted procedure to bleed a hydraulic clutch system. When I bled my Ducati(not mineral oil) system I compressed the piston with bolt and a c-clamp, continue like if brakes. When all the air came out and nice clean fluid came through I filled the master, remounted the slave, squeezed the lever, fluid level lowered a bit until it felt good, removed any excess fluid from master, put the rubber thingy back, called it good.

Is there a rubber piece(I don't know why these are in there) in the master reservoir that could be blocking the port? Remove it refill, rebleed, retest. Again just guessing because it just can't be that complicated. Just can't. Maybe an exorcism is in order.

A very competent motorcycle mechanic I have known since high school know told me that he had a customer's Ducati once that was possessed. Truly possessed. Failing all attempts to fix a problem involving the fuel/ignition/ECU the entire bunch of systems were replaced as directed per Ducati's engineering team and guess what. The bike still didn't perform as spec'd. Germany is close to Italy ain't it.

Dennis Andress

My thoughts lay along the lines of the clutch, or transmission input shaft, not being assembled correctly. That fits the description of the problem getting worse as the bike warms up. I haven't followed every post about this, but haven't these yahoos been in there more than once? Something isn't torqued correctly, or assembled in the wrong order.

Phil, very soon the dealer is going wash his hands of this. Your argument will be then be with BMWNA. Plan on taking possession of the bike and riding it as much as possible. Document (video) everything. It's going to come down to one on one between you and them.

I have a lot of faith and good rapport with my local dealer -- BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County. The skills are there, their current workload is light, and they are motivated. Okay, it's a long ways from home for you. But, I work less then 5 miles away and would mind helping out. Give it some thought.

Dennis

Joe,

I've heard of that on Duc's.

Problem was found to be spurious transient matrices not heretofore seen. Needed an oscilloscope to catch the buggers.

Calvin  (no socks)

Phil, the engine oil bathes this clutch and transmission...is it the right type?

Doin some "Slingblade" type free thinking here... clutch ok cold, operation sucks warm/hot...

Dennis Andress

Calvin, I just changed my oil, and switched to RotellaT synthetic. The tranny shifts better, but I haven't noticed any change in the clutch.

Calvin it's a dry clutch.

No, it's a traditional wet clutch.

I still think the issue is in the hydraulic clutch. Who knows though. I'm not doing the work.

District Area Rep is aware and involved. I will be speaking with New Jersey on Monday.

Calvin  (no socks)

My brain works differently as a professional diagnostician. If they (as a whole) can't identify the problem, they might back up a step and take a view of the history..

Did it just occur, or has it always been a problem?

If no other vehicles have the problem, why is this one special?

I have seen wrong parts installed, wrong lubricants installed, wrong software installed, ad infunitum.

To unravel the ball of string takes some effort and dedication. Objectivity is a must!

Just my $0.02.

DAR can grease the squeaky wheel.

Or not.

Most likely, given your purchase history and BMW goodwill (they are aware of the Tech arrangments through the dealership and proBMW sales support you've done, right?) it would behovve the Rep to continue the positive relationship.

You haven't changed, the result of your experience with the product has and all you want is the opportunity to have that positive experience again.

When you lose faith in the safety of and confidence in the reliability of a vehicle that has been in the hands of marque certified techs following marque established service and repair procedures, a better outcome should follow.

BMWNA should approve your request, price modified for usage, and take the bike to their magic toolshed and study it.

Best wishes.

The problem seemed to be exacerbated with heat.

Not an expert but I'm thinking an air bubble would grow the hotter it gets & thus displace a greater amount of fluid which would then take a longer stroke of the master cylinder to achieve the same stroke of the slave.

it appears to be harmonically driven. By this I mean that, to me, there must be air in the system that the normal engine vibrations are causing the air pocket to foam and, thereby, cause the loss of lever travel before clutch take up. Or, am I way off base

I think your off base on this.

Looking through the links you posted, it appears the foaming oil has to do with the fluid being shaken up in the reservoir & foamed oil could then be introduced into the inlet of the master piston.

Sounds like they placed a sponge in the reservoir to eliminate this.

The last time I bled the clutch fluid on my 03RT, I managed to get a bit of air trapped in the system. Had a bit of difficulty removing it & finally positioned the bike/bars so the air trapped between the master's piston & the orifice to/from the reservoir had the best chance of escaping.

I then extended the lever back to enable the piston to travel farther back. Then I pulled the lever slightly. I repeated this several times fast until I managed to dislodge & expel the bubble(s).

Hope you get some satisfaction on this soon.

I just got on this forum after being banned for a week (dont ever mention a political party on here). That sucks that your bike is having issues like that. If all the aprts have been replaced, it definately sounds like the person doing the work and/or the process prescribed by BMW. While the lemon law doesnt apply to motorcycles, there are attorneys that can base their case off of that law (showing proper steps taken with documentation). I started talking to an attorney when I had my Buell. I went through a similar experience and started the procedure after their own representative had it die on the freeway but claimed their was nothing wrong.....lol.. They finally ended up refundung my money. Hopefully your experience can end as peacefully.

... While the lemon law doesnt apply to motorcycles...

I've seen that stated here and on some sites. Other sites says it does apply. Lemon Law site

Here's the direct text (in part) from the law: "New motor vehicle" includes the chassis, chassis cab, and that portion of a motor home devoted to its propulsion, but does not include any portion designed, used, or maintained primarily for human habitation, a dealer-owned vehicle and a "demonstrator" or other motor vehicle sold with a manufacturer's new car warranty but does not include a motorcycle or a motor vehicle which is not registered under the Vehicle Code because it is to be operated or used exclusively off the highways. (emphasis mine)

I take the text to read that it applies to MC's that are used on the highway, but excludes MC's and other vehicles that are operated off road.

I've seen that stated here and on some sites. Other sites says it does apply. Lemon Law site

Here's the direct text (in part) from the law: "New motor vehicle" includes the chassis, chassis cab, and that portion of a motor home devoted to its propulsion, but does not include any portion designed, used, or maintained primarily for human habitation, a dealer-owned vehicle and a "demonstrator" or other motor vehicle sold with a manufacturer's new car warranty but does not include a motorcycle or a motor vehicle which is not registered under the Vehicle Code because it is to be operated or used exclusively off the highways. (emphasis mine)

I take the text to read that it applies to MC's that are used on the highway, but excludes MC's and other vehicles that are operated off road.

That's the same site Tim cited. The AG's office reads it differently, as did the court in the one appellate decision I found on the matter, filed against Suzuki, in which the court noted "Section 1793.2, subdivision (d)(2), does not apply to motorcycles as section 1793.22, subdivision (e)(2), expressly excludes them from the definition of 'new motor vehicle.' Indeed, since 1982 when the Legislature provided a remedy for a buyer of a 'new motor vehicle' that suffers from the same defect repeatedly, motorcycles have been excluded from that protection. (See Stats.1982, ch. 388, § 1; Stats.1986, ch. 547, § 2; Stats.1987, ch. 1280, § 2; Stats.1988, ch. 697, § 1; Stats.1989, ch. 193, § 2; Stats.1991, ch. 689, § 10; Stats.1992, ch. 1232, §§ 6, 7; Stats.2004, ch. 331, § 1.) Dominguez, in his respondent's brief, fails to address this issue, but argues section 1793.2, subdivision (d)(2), is applicable here. It is not."

If they intended the "which is not registered..." clause to apply, I presume they wouldn't have used the "a" article ahead of "motor vehicle".

Archived