IGNORED

To "kill switch" or not to kill switch?

nben

I use it always. It's part of a start up/shut down sequence taught in the MSF basic rider course. Logic behind it is, that switch enables you to shut off the bike without having to remove your hands from the grips (read: clutch disengaged; front brake applied).

Wow. In over two years with little Bonbon, I have never used the kill switch. I guess that I had better get with the program huh? I have always used the kickstand and then the switch. I can see the benefits of using the kill switch from the explanation given above. Just never thought of it.

Interesting options for turning off motor, use of side stand, use of kill switch and the intended method, merely turing off ignition via key. FWIW, I can't see the logic for use of anything other than key. I believe the other two methods weren't intended for day to day use but as safety features, where the former allows for instant engine off should throttle cables hang-up for example, and the latter to keep riders from inadvertently riding off w/side stand down (initially OK but first left turn will be memorable).

Again, I'm puzzled by interest in alternate methods when ignition key is so, well, ordinary.

Wooster

Well, the ignition key method just adds too much additional risk.

STOP:

Left foot down.

Tranny in first gear.

Right foot on rear brake.

Left hand engaging clutch.

Right hand engaging front brake.

Now, flick thumb to turn off. Done.

OR

Remove right hand, sacrificing 1/2 of braking and 1/2 of stability (straight handlebars = upright bike). Turn Key.

OR

Instead of left foot down as it should be, stop with RIGHT foot down "Just this one time". Now flip down sidestand. Hope that your muscle memory doesn't get screwed up and you start doing the "left foot/right foot" dance at every stop, rather than consistently stopping with left foot down. That dance eventually leads to a trip to the parts counter to repair damage from a 0 mph drop.

Now, imagine a scenario when you NEED to use the kill switch to kill the bike. Lets say you pop an O ring and gas is pumping on your right foot. Lots of gas.

If you've been using the kill switch to turn off the bike, you'll flip the kill switch.

If you've been doing alternative methods (key, sidestand), you may remember that the bike has a kill switch. (pump, pump) You might even remember that it's on the right side somewhere! (pump, pump) C'mon, you flipped it that one time back in March when you'd accidentally bumped it... it's over here somewhere... (pump, pump)...

Maybe you could be just as quick with the key! After all, it's universally located... dash of some BMWs, left side of some Harleys, right side of some Japanese bikes, lower tank on other Harleys... wait, I'll find it...

I see "Don't use kill switch" as closely aligned with "Front Brake'll Throw Ya, leave it alone".

But then again... I still open the imaginary petcock on my bike as I go through the FINE-C drill.

I can't see the logic for use of anything other than key. I believe the other two methods weren't intended for day to day use but as safety features, where the former allows for instant engine off should throttle cables hang-up for example, and the latter to keep riders from inadvertently riding off w/side stand down (initially OK but first left turn will be memorable).

Again, I'm puzzled by interest in alternate methods when ignition key is so, well, ordinary.

Ordinary, yes. Accessible without removing a hand from the front brake or clutch lever, no. If you've got a routine that's been foolproof for you, however, go with it.

.....FWIW, I can't see the logic for use of anything other than key. I believe the other two methods weren't intended for day to day use but as safety features, where the former (kill switch) allows for instant engine off should throttle cables hang-up for example....I'm puzzled by interest in alternate methods when ignition key is so, well, ordinary.

Wooster

GaryF nailed it. The kill switch is the prefered method and is taught by MSF so that the habit gets formed. In an emergency, such as the stuck throttle you mentioned, one is unlikely to use a method different from what he normally uses. smile.gif

Now having said that, what do I do? I never use the kill switch to the point that if is is somehow inadvertly shut off I will fumble around trying to figure out why the beast won't start. Ususally I use the key. Sometimes I will put the side stand down before killing the engine and hence use the SS switch. I was once burned with a dead battery by this method when I failed to turn off the key and left the lights on. dopeslap.giffrown.gif

The key is only "ordinary" when one thinks about cages. The kill switch can become "ordinary" with pratice and that is what I intend to start doing.

Thanks for the reminder! thumbsup.gif

Never use it. As a routine I use putting the side stand down to shut down the motor. That way I know it is down before I start to get off. All other considerations of how to turn the bike off are secondary if the darn thing falls over when I "turn off."

I used to use my kill switch until it failed. Then I used the key. The sidestand cutout was never an option. It's a bit more hassle to use the key, but the two methods both do the job.

On bikes with the servo-assist brakes, does turning the key kill power to the brakes as well? I'm assuming the kill switch only kills the engine. That might be a reason to use the switch in some situations.

On bikes with the servo-assist brakes, does turning the key kill power to the brakes as well? I'm assuming the kill switch only kills the engine. That might be a reason to use the switch in some situations.

DING!

OR

Remove right hand, sacrificing 1/2 of braking and 1/2 of stability (straight handlebars = upright bike). Turn Key.

OR

come to a smooth stop, be in neutral, keep hand on brake, feet down (or one foot if you want to keep the other on the brake), use other hand to turn key.

I've done that for a few decades and it seems to work fine. the one or two times I needed to use the kill switch in those years, I found it quite easily.

russell_bynum

Now, imagine a scenario when you NEED to use the kill switch to kill the bike. Lets say you pop an O ring and gas is pumping on your right foot. Lots of gas.

If you've been using the kill switch to turn off the bike, you'll flip the kill switch.

If you've been doing alternative methods (key, sidestand), you may remember that the bike has a kill switch. (pump, pump) You might even remember that it's on the right side somewhere! (pump, pump) C'mon, you flipped it that one time back in March when you'd accidentally bumped it... it's over here somewhere... (pump, pump)...

Exactly.

Use the kill switch every time and it'll be right where you expect it to be when you need it.

But then again... I still open the imaginary petcock on my bike as I go through the FINE-C drill.

thumbsup.gif

I don't know about this scenario relating to the "oilheads" but nearly 30 years experience of fleet useage with the air-heads & K-Series is that habitual use of the Emergency kill switch will sooner or later render the machine immobile, in that the switch no longer makes the circuit when it is put back into the "run" position; certainly Police Forces here in the UK have had Bulletins from BMW GB over the years - it's a risk you run. Personally I use the key.

What with number of riders using kill switch and/or side stand to shut motor I'd be hard pressed to argue against it. OTOH, with owner's manual for '98 RT identifying red/right switch as "emergency kill switch", it's plain we have differing definitions of emergency.

My sole intentional kill switch use was when airhead throttle cable came unfraid (odd word there); motor was sortta instant on/off til I got home.

Regarding side stand method of shutting engine, again, manual says something like "stop motor before using side stand, switch off the ignition to the engine" with "use right foot against extension pin to swing side stand fully forward" a few lines later.

Now, I feel little like the kid trying to follow teacher's rule when cool kids aren't but that's fine, I'm ok w/minority opinion; afterall, my party has jackass as symbol and what's up with that !

Today, I rode out to Rio Pueblo south of Sipapu ski area, used key to shut off engine; then onto Mora overlook where miles of aspen and space watched me turn key; later, back to Taos, turnkey and spent $19.32 for 6.076 gal/gas @ 307 miles on odo; lastly, turnkey in my garage, home again. Really, a very nice ride. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Wooster

Now I may just not be as "programmed"/"muscle memory" as I don't have 30 or ( fill in the blank with # ) years experience, so I am still in the habit of an active shut-down procedure. In my MSF class, I asked if MECHANICALLY there was any difference/advantage to any of the above mentioned methods. "No." So, I'm not hurting or helping my steed one way or the other. For me it boils down to taking each shut-down individually. If safety (primary concern) dictates keeping both hands on the grips, cut-off switch. If not, I PREFER the key. No harm, no foul. Will I have to pull out the emergency procedures handbook to figure out how to start up the bike because it was left in gear? Hardly. I have the discipline to check the situation each time. Sorry. Logic and discipline over "non-thinking habit". What a concept.

Well, the ignition key method just adds too much additional risk.

STOP:

Left foot down.

Tranny in first gear.

Right foot on rear brake.

Left hand engaging clutch.

Right hand engaging front brake.

Now, flick thumb to turn off. Done.

OR

OR

Instead of left foot down as it should be, stop with RIGHT foot down "Just this one time". Now flip down sidestand. Hope that your muscle memory doesn't get screwed up and you start doing the "left foot/right foot" dance at every stop, rather than consistently stopping with left foot down. That dance eventually leads to a trip to the parts counter to repair damage from a 0 mph drop.

Maybe you could be just as quick with the key! After all, it's universally located... dash of some BMWs, left side of some Harleys, right side of some Japanese bikes, lower tank on other Harleys... wait, I'll find it...

I see "Don't use kill switch" as closely aligned with "Front Brake'll Throw Ya, leave it alone".

Man! I had no idea how much one has to know to simply turn off the ignition! After 40 years of riding, and usually just turnng off the ignition (unless there was a good reason to use the kill switch, like stopping on a hill), I guess I'm lucky that I survived!

Bob.

ShovelStrokeEd

The key works for me and has for 45+ years. If you can't figure out how to stop on a hill and let go of one bar, you probably shouldn't be riding. I don't understand the left foot thing either. What's wrong with putting your right foot down? Which foot I use is normally dictated by whichever direction the bike leans when I come to a stop. Sometimes it doesn't lean at all, so I leave my feet on the pegs.

The key works for me and has for 45+ years. If you can't figure out how to stop on a hill and let go of one bar, you probably shouldn't be riding. I don't understand the left foot thing either. What's wrong with putting your right foot down? Which foot I use is normally dictated by whichever direction the bike leans when I come to a stop.

Same here, I use the key most of the time, but once in a while if the bike is on a bit of a hill I might use the kill switch when I hold the front brake, but rarely.

Sometimes it doesn't lean at all, so I leave my feet on the pegs.

I'm still working on perfecting this concept! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Let's think about designed meantime between failure and cycle duty of the three switches. And thus the likelihood of one failing and stranding you if it is used to shut down the bike each time:

Ignition switch - Designed to be cycled each time the bike is turned on / off.

Side stand switch - Designed to be cycled each time the bike is parked on the side stand. (Excludes those times when you put the bike on the center stand without having put it on the side stand first.)

Emergency engine kill switch - Designed to be cycled each time you have to unexpectedly shut down the engine. I.e - in an emergency.

Now if I'm going to decide which one to use / cycle routinely, at least I know which one comes in last!

Now I may just not be as "programmed"/"muscle memory" as I don't have 30 or ( fill in the blank with # ) years experience, so I am still in the habit of an active shut-down procedure. In my MSF class, I asked if MECHANICALLY there was any difference/advantage to any of the above mentioned methods. "No." So, I'm not hurting or helping my steed one way or the other.

Well, potentially you run the risk of the bike failing-safe. I readily accept that a LEO may stop/start 20 or 30 times in a day, which is above the norm. BUT despite being asked to use the key & keep the Emergency Kill switch for an emergency ie if the throttle were to stick in the open position, some officers would persist in using the kill switch. On a fairly regular basis the workshops would receive a plaintive call - "It was running OK but now it won't start; it's dead". A mechanic would hot-foot it to the stranded bike, only to return saying "Another kill switch user".

Did this happen on a weekly basis? No, not even monthly, but at least a couple of times a years, since we started using BMW's in 1976. Why risk it?

I do not really care how someone else turns off their bike -- it is your bike and your choice. I think it is more important to have a repeatable routine that works for you.

The one point I have not seen mentioned is that, according to some people, if you use your kill switch it is possible that you will walk away and forget to turn off the key. The engine is off but the key is still in the ON position. This particular scenario could leave you with a dead battery or a stolen bike. I don't know how likely this is, but I suppose it is possible.

I do not really care how someone else turns off their bike -- it is your bike and your choice. I think it is more important to have a repeatable routine that works for you.

The one point I have not seen mentioned is that, according to some people, if you use your kill switch it is possible that you will walk away and forget to turn off the key. The engine is off but the key is still in the ON position. This particular scenario could leave you with a dead battery or a stolen bike. I don't know how likely this is, but I suppose it is possible.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I always use the kill switch.

The different bikes I ride have the ignition switch in different places, one has the switch below the tank on the left side of the engine, one has the ignition switch one the right side ot the bike behind the right buttock, one has it on the center of the steering head and the other has the ignition switch on the left side of the steering head but guess what????

Oh ya one of them is a right shift.

The kill switches are all located in the same place, accessable with the right hand on the front break, left hand on the clutch and both feet on the ground.

I may be wrong but I think the standardazation of the shifting and the kill switch location was mandated by safety concerns due to this type of thing.

ShovelStrokeEd

You are right about the standardization. Our government protecting us from ourselves. Darwinism used to handle these kind of things for us. Until the Japanese invasion of the motorcycle industry there was no standard. Sportster shifted on the right, big twins on the left, BSA on the left, Norton, or was it Triumph?, on the right. Funny thing is, none of the riders had much of a problem. Oh, yeah, we'd downshift the rear brake now and then.

What is up with this need for both feet on the ground, clutch in, front brake applied? What's wrong with neutral? Why would you need a brake if your already stopped? Do you need both feet on the ground to hold the bike up? Ditto both hands on the bars, the freakin' bike is stopped, you're not steering anything. If you could find the key to start the bike you should have no trouble finding the key to stop it. I ride over 40K miles a year and have been riding since 1959, never had an emergency requiring a kill switch. The only good point of having one, IMHO, is if you crash, others will know to go to the right control pod to shut off the bike, which was the intent of the mandate in the beginning.

I always use the kill switch. Why? No particular reason other than it seems to me to be a convenient and safe way to shut any bike down. Just a recommeded routine that works for me.

If you can't figure out how to stop on a hill and let go of one bar, you probably shouldn't be riding.

Exactly. If you use the kill switch, and actually ride a lot, sooner or later you will have a failure there and be stranded. Don't solve problems that don't exist - that's my motto. Use the darn key.

bncry.gif

You are right about the standardization. Our government protecting us from ourselves. Darwinism used to handle these kind of things for us. Until the Japanese invasion of the motorcycle industry there was no standard. Sportster shifted on the right, big twins on the left, BSA on the left, Norton, or was it Triumph?, on the right. Funny thing is, none of the riders had much of a problem. Oh, yeah, we'd downshift the rear brake now and then.

What is up with this need for both feet on the ground, clutch in, front brake applied? What's wrong with neutral? Why would you need a brake if your already stopped? Do you need both feet on the ground to hold the bike up? Ditto both hands on the bars, the freakin' bike is stopped, you're not steering anything. If you could find the key to start the bike you should have no trouble finding the key to stop it. I ride over 40K miles a year and have been riding since 1959, never had an emergency requiring a kill switch. The only good point of having one, IMHO, is if you crash, others will know to go to the right control pod to shut off the bike, which was the intent of the mandate in the beginning.

Sportsters shifted on the right, to imitate and compete with the English bikes, no other reason.

The kill switch is for the nonriding general public to be able to shut your bike off in the event you crash?

Like I say I ride a multitude of different bikes on a daily basis with the ignition switches and in some cases some of the controls in different orientation, but the kill switch on all of them is in the same place, this is indeed a convienent and safety wise thing.

English bikes shifted on the right until the mid to late seventies when they were required, for import, to move the shifter to the left to conform with the Harleys and the Japanese bikes, and the German bikes, etc.

Village Grouch

Your name is correct

ShovelStrokeEd

Yep, my name is correct and coming from Terre Haute you should know better about the reason a sportster shifts on the right.

The sportster evolved from the k series of motorcycles which, at the time, was HD's racing bike. Still is for that matter. The reason for the right hand shift was AMA flat track racing ran anti clockwise. No brakes on the bikes at that time and the shifter was the only foot control. Turn left and slide it, you still had access to the shifter. In fact, the Triumph shifted on the right for the same reason. Triumph and BSA were both active in Grand National raciing back then. All the BSA guys altered their bikes to shift on the right as well.

By the time 1970 or so had rolled around, the Japanese dominated bike sales in the US, could care less about AMA or flat track. They had pretty much killed the English bike industry and were in the process of putting HD out of business with ample help from AMF who nearly corporate planned it into bankrutcy. The Japanse had always included a kill switch on the right handle bar and shifted on the left. Since they dominated bike sales it became the standard adopted by DOT. And yes, the idea was for police and fire people to have a standard way to shut off the motorcycle in the event of a mishap. I think BMW's of the era also had a concetric with the starter kill switch. Dunno whether it was in response to the DOT mandate or the Germans came up with it on their own.

I still remember having fun with all my other key on the top of the headlight brethren. Wait for the light to turn green, reach over and snatch your buddies key out of his headlight and proceed down the road laughing your ass off. Of course, you had to turn around and ride back to give it back to him. There were even a few times where this would happen during spirited riding until we got better about protecting our line.

I too ride a whole bunch of bikes, I have a garage full of the things, or at least I think I do, I haven't been home yet post Wilma. I still don't use kill switches. I have no problems finding the ignition switch.

You use the key, I'll use the kill swicth and we wil both be happy as pigs in slop.

I have flat tracked both Triumphs and Sportsters, that right shift is great for this past time. Had a 250 two different 500's and still own a 73 750 Bonneville, right shift, one owner.

Hope everything is Ok when you do get back home.

Have a good day and don't let them steal your key.

What is up with this need for both feet on the ground, clutch in, front brake applied? What's wrong with neutral? Why would you need a brake if your already stopped? Do you need both feet on the ground to hold the bike up? Ditto both hands on the bars, the freakin' bike is stopped, you're not steering anything. If you could find the key to start the bike you should have no trouble finding the key to stop it.

Not sure what you're riding but I think it's the start button you press to start the bike, not the ignition key as you would with a car.

As to your first point and series of questions, take it up with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, David Hough, and lots of other safety training experts. In the US, which I know is different in rules from the UK for example, the MSF requires you be in first gear at the conclusion of a stop, not neutral. The reason explained to me was to improve your odds of being able to move away from danger in the event of a car potentially rear-ending you at a stop.

But, what matters is to do what works for you. Just go easy on us weanies who have less experience and, therefore, go with the current teachings.

ShovelStrokeEd

Gary,

Read the post. Your stopping the engine on the bike, not stopping the motorcycle at a light or some such. If your stopping for gas your gonna need to take the key out to open the gas cap. If your stopping for lunch or the night, your gonna want to remove the key for security reasons.

As to the MSF and all the others, I'll match my years of experience against theirs any time. Their instruction is aimed at novice riders who haven't a clue how to operate a motorcycle and they leave the course with barely a clue. It's not the be all end all of motorcycling.

Boy, what a lot of discussion over a most trivial matter. I do both, but think the key is better. Don't care about standardization, don't have a problem when I get in a new car and the key is in a new place, or the start button as some have. I like the key because you turn the power off (no run down battery) and occasionally I don't get the kill switch moved all the way back and it doesn't start. Neutral stopping, almost all the time if on flat ground. Pulling away from a potential rear-ending?? Doubt many could be that quick, and then it might be harder on you and the bike if it was in gear. To much worryin' bout insignificant items - go ride! (But check your oil first grin.gif)

I do both. Turn off the BMW with the key, primarily because the kill switch is flimsy and I broke one off far from home in 1998. Real PITA fising this on the side of the road. The Harley's I always use the kill swith as the key is never in the ignition once the bike is unlocked. "intelligent design" is where you find it. crazy.gif

You are right about the standardization. Our government protecting us from ourselves. Darwinism used to handle these kind of things for us.

No it didn't. Darwinism works only when it kicks in before the subject animal breeds. Unfortunately, by the time many of these folks were weeded out of the gene pool they had already replicated. In the meantime, many otherwise valuable types had their genes drained from the pool.

Gary,

Read the post. Your stopping the engine on the bike, not stopping the motorcycle at a light or some such. If your stopping for gas your gonna need to take the key out to open the gas cap. If your stopping for lunch or the night, your gonna want to remove the key for security reasons.

As to the MSF and all the others, I'll match my years of experience against theirs any time. Their instruction is aimed at novice riders who haven't a clue how to operate a motorcycle and they leave the course with barely a clue. It's not the be all end all of motorcycling.

Like I said, go easy on us weanies. No doubt you could match your years of experience against the experts. I can't match mine so I go with the fundamentals taught in the courses. In due time, after I've busted a kill switch and cursed the MSF course for teaching me to always use it, I'll bite my lip and mutter, "should've listened to the pros on the forum."

The MSF Course of course has a lot of good things, but on this particular subject I think they have an underlying motive. If they didn't teach newbies to use the kill switch as the primary engine cut off they would have a lot more incidents of lurch, drop & scream when brand-new-on-a-bike people suddenly released the clutch lever with the engine still running. It's a good beginning point / technique, but one that can be advanced beyond as one gains experience.

To the man who was worried about using the kill switch too much would cause it to malfunction and leave him stranded:

My old Harley Superglide 1989 with over 200,000 miles on it has been shut off virtually everytime by using the kill switch, hell I use the kill switch to wake people up every now and then, off and then back on riding at speed will wakeup any cager.

The switch has not fail once, but the ignition switch was replaced at 135,000 miles.

Are todays BMW controls that much inferior to the controls that Harley was using 17 years ago.

I should have less confidence in this new 2005 BMW than I have in my HD with 200,000 miles?

I am not at all afraid to use the kill switch on the HD or take off for a 3,000 mile trip on the HD with nothing but an oil change and a check of the tire tread for pretrip maintenance.

Are these BMW's that unreliable that this simple switch causes so much worry???

If that is true I need to get rid of this R12RT lemon and get back to the Harley fold.

The biggest reason why I bought a BMW was because of its reputation for reliability, if it is as much better than the HD as people seem to claim I wouldn't eveer need another bike.

But I do still have my old reliable HD if the kill switch or any more complicated systems fail on the BMW.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I always use the kill switch so that I don't have to take my hands off the bars to kill the engine. I had asked the forum which circuit was more robust and should I be using one over the other and the response that I received was both get cycled each time, so there is no difference from a electrical perspective.

Well, I know I'm late, but I have to agree with Ed on just about every point.

I stop in neutral, right foot down, left foot drops side stand, lean bike on to side stand and get off. Notice the engine is still running. I like to do a walk around inspection before turning the engine off with the key.

The MSF teachings serve well to keep new riders alive until they have a chance to see how things really work for them.

If memory serves, my '66 Atlas not was not only right shift, it was also 1 up and 3 down.

In the late 60s, didn't Triumph and BSA have some counter shafts so they could be either left or right shift?

I use the kill switch. I've never left my key accidentally in the ignition, although I seem to leave it under the seat almost every time!

I have hit the kill switch while riding -- the bike just slows down...

Later,

jan

I agree with Ed. If the bike I'm riding has a key, that's what I use to shut it off. Been doing that since 1975, when I got my first bike with a key. (A number of off-road machines I've owned didn't have keys.) Never had a problem in 30 years.

Archived