IGNORED

How many Airheads in the house?

Mighty Manfred

I lucked out. I had my R75/6 for 19 years and rode it quite a bit. Then I had some unknown medical problems and couldn't ride for more than an hour. Once I got the problem resolved, I started riding again, a lot. SO I decided I needed to up grade to something newer with radial tires and fuel injection. I bought a 2000 R1100RT with 101,000 miles in mint condition from the original owner. I kept the /6 because I have sold quite a few motorcycles and wish I still had them.

At first I couldn't decide to keep the old faithful bike or not, so I let the bank decide. They gave me a loan for the "new" bike and I kept the old one. Still riding it, but not on long rides. I am now fixing it up a little. New shocks, front springs, cables, tune up and some paint. I hope to keep it a LONG time.

I love em both.

David

Eckhard Grohe

Two here.. A 1984 R100RS, Last Edition, owned since new and a 1983 R100RT, 60th Anniversary project bike bought in 2004.

Mighty Manfred

For any of ya'll airheads near Louisiana:

The Airhead Air Marshall for Louisiana has scheduled an airhead tech day for April 10, once again to be held at Bud's home on the bayou, a few miles east of Port Barre, La. See map.

I plan on leaving Houston early on Friday, 9 April and leaving Bud's early Sunday to return home. Big covered car port and lots of bunks at Bud's. Airheads from east Texas, all over Louisiana, and Alabama usually show up for a good time of wrenching - with great food and plenty of lie-swapping.

More info by contacting Ed at 985 727 0119

+1

IMG_1285.jpg

1984 R100RS Last Edition (yeh, right) with 20K miles.

Very clean, and OOOOHH so comfortable. :thumbsup:

Nice tank cover.

And that my friends IS sport touring.

MB>

szurszewski

DSC_1737.JPG

I bought Sylvia as my first "real" bike the first summer I was "home" from college up in Alaska. She lived with me on a rainy island there for five years without a garage and I still haven't gotten all the rusty bits off, but she doesn't seem to mind. Unfortunately I almost never have time to ride - of the three motos in the picture only my wife's Vespa peeking out in the back really sees much use (she's lucky enough to be able to commute by bike while I'm stuck in a company car most days). I hate to have anything just sitting around - especially vehicles - but I can't seem to part with her either - I did sell her once a couple of summers ago, but she came home a few days later...

Ah yes an R80/7....

My first NEW motorcycle was an R80/7. Metallic Black she was.

And a purchase incentive from BMW/Butler and Smith was free Krauser bags and a Luftmeister fairing painted to match.

I went all over the place on that thing. Most dependable motorcycle I have ever owned. Sold it to a geek from Apple Computer when it first started up. He had to have it. :grin:

MB>

Nice tank cover.

MB>

MB,

I have Black Bagster covers on three of my bikes. I modified a BMW Multivario tank bag base to fit the Bagster cover. I can move my one tank bag to any of the three. Comfy? Yes and it just purrs with Staintune Sport mufflers and full stainless headers. :)

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
Zbeemerhead

Yep'per...few more here too ! It's a definite SICKNESS, i'm sure.

83 R100RT 60th Anniv. Edition , 34k mi.

* 82 R100RS grey/smoke, 82k mi.

* 79 R100 red rose,80k mi.

76 R90/6 black of course,38k mi.

* 75 R90/6 black by choice,68k mi.

74 R90S black/smoke....picking up next monday !!!

* airheads for sale...inquire within ??

pics on request if i could figure how to load them here

Mighty Manfred
Yep'per...few more here too ! It's a definite SICKNESS, i'm sure.

83 R100RT 60th Anniv. Edition , 34k mi.

* 82 R100RS grey/smoke, 82k mi.

* 79 R100 red rose,80k mi.

76 R90/6 black of course,38k mi.

* 75 R90/6 black by choice,68k mi.

74 R90S black/smoke....picking up next monday !!!

* airheads for sale...inquire within ??

pics on request if i could figure how to load them here

And, living in NY means you only have - what? - 4 months of riding weather?

I've been riding airheads since 1976, but the R100RT I bought in 1979 was my first brand new bike.

Smoke red paint, she still a good lokker IMHO; now fitted with 1984 forks & Brembo brakes, plus twin plug heads, but deep down she's still my favourite bike.

I have to say if I get on her after a week or two on an oilhead I think "This thing's crude, & she's got no brakes" but after twenty minutes or so, I'm back in the swing of it.

Mighty Manfred

FYI,

I had been having starting trouble for a few months and found myself down to the idle settings. I ran across this article on the R65 forum and VIOLA! - my airhead now starts instantly! And idles smooth as butta.

Airhead Idle Adjustment

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is still putting miles on his '79 R100RT (although last Fall he picked up an LT. He doesn't have plans on retiring the old air head though.

Here's the old man slayin' the dragon. He chased me all over the hill of North Carolina and Tennesee on that old RT, center stand a sparkin' through the corners.

img_1839.jpg

I've been looking for an old air head to build a cafe racer out of so some day I'll have one myself!

Mighty Manfred

Westy,

Great shot - and great story about your father and his airhead.

There are lots of good deals on airheads, so keep looking and let us know what you find.

Manfred - thanks! My old man loves that airhead. Even with the newer LT in the garage he always goes back to the R100RT. He's the one that got me into Beemers and I'm sure if we come across an old airhead for a project bike, he'll be helping me with the build.

Mighty Manfred

Westy,

Enjoy the time you have with your father. My adult son lives near Seattle and we have so little time together. A great relationship is so much better face-to-face. And time is fleeting.

Swordofwords

From Wyoming: 1958 R69

1977 75/7 w/Velorex Sidecar

1983 R80RT

1987 K100LT

2000 R1100 RTP

BTW, How DO you add pics on here?

Scharppslicer

Casper, Wyoming

Mighty Manfred
BTW, How DO you add pics on here?

Scharppslicer

Casper, Wyoming

From the site's FAQ page:

In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag (note - use the square bracket, on the same keys as the squiggly ones shown):

{image}http://www.url_to_image.com/image_name.gif{/image}

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

{image}http://www.mywebsite.com/pics/cateye.gif{/image}

You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

a '74 R90s and '73 R75/5. Love 'em both. So simple, reliable and perfectly engineered for the task at hand.

And riding an Airhead always leaves a smile on my face.

RPG

Mighty Manfred

I was smilin' a lot on my airhead on my camping trip this week - until I broke concentration on a switchback and ran off the road and broke most of the plastic parts on my bike :-( Windscreen survived! I am sore in multiple parts - soft tissue damage from being throw a good distance, from what my riding buddy saw.

• 3 weeks later...
Swordofwords

Wyoming, Casper: 1958 R69, 1980 80RT, & 1977 75/7 w/Velorex sidecar. There all fun. Tinkering is a challenge sometimes,

and gouge targets if tinkered by the wrong "mechanic"...

Good tours on the 80, and a nice run from Ft. Collins on the '58.

The 77: a sidecar is like a train: everyone loves a train!

Sword

Mighty Manfred

Sword,

You can use that code for most any image on the web. I have a couple of web site, from which I might link to a picture or video; but I also have a Photobucket account.

My airhead is less nice than when that picture was taken, as I ran it off the road a couple weeks back. If you look at the pix here, you can see the damage and some of the repairs. http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/MightyManfred/Airhead/

Swordofwords

Always blame your parents, I always do. My Dad made me buy my first Airhead, a 1981 R65, $1800.00. Durnig one of our infamous

Boom/Bust Wyoming cycles, then a bust, he took over the payments from a gal, until she could get back on her feet. It didn't happen, so I bought it, sold my Kaw. KZ400. Dad had been on his 4th or so Beemer, now on a White R100RT Last (he sold to a Mike Todd in Idaho).

Then the touring began. To him it was touring. To me it was watching his license plate in front of me kind of disappear. He'd get to the next town, get off his bike, looking at his watch with an impatient look...yeah, yeah, yeah; the show off.

He'd reached his 100K accumulated miles award.

Then He had that, an 80GS,and later the 58 R69, which I inherited when he died in 97. By then he was up to the 87 K100LT, that I also

inherited.

Since, the bikes I posted, I still have. Thanks for making me reminince the moment. Secret: I was able to spend more time with him other than the 20+ years we'd both worked together. I felt

very fortunate.

Sword

Swordofwords

My 80RT, which will eventually make it online here, has a side scruff, when I use to much front brake, on gravel at a Stanley Stomp Rally. My rearview mirror, I saw the same scruff on my helmet. I kissed my helmet and never regretted wearing one since.

Sword.

PS, I'll learn the pics sooner or later...I thimk!

Mighty Manfred

Storm,

How sweet to have spent some great times with your dad. My father died when he was 58 and I was 32 - we were close from the time I graduated college and got married at age 22. Wouldn't trade time I had with him - especially after my son was born - for anything on the planet. He rode a Harley - which is the name of my dog :-)

Harley.jpg

Well, after just 11 months of hard work I finally completed the project I started in September 2009. It turned out the bike needed a 90% rebuild and just about everything except the engine block and frame had to be replaced. It was a very satisfying project, but I am more inclined to put the bike in my living room now instead of getting it dirty.

IMG_2358.jpg

Come on now; I can't imagine any sane wife would have ever allowed me to spend the time and money I did on this project. Nope, this is the kind of work only a happy hermit could tackle.

So when I say I might put it in my living room, I really mean my livingroom.

I regret to report that my single status might be changing soon. I might be spending more time in the gym, on long walks on the beach, watching sunsets, looking for better furniture and all that other nonsense I mistakenly said I liked. This project might be my last for a while. :(

If anyone is interested, I've documented much of the project in two Photobucket albums. Feel free to explore: http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/Margaree/R100%20PROJECT/ and: http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/Margaree/R100%20REBUILD/

IMG_2338.jpg

Nice /7. Thats what I used for the tug on my Velorex sidecar,but a 75/7, although yours is quite a crown jewel. Good job. Come rebuild mine okay? Wyoming is loaded with lots of hunting and fishing, BTW.

Sword

Casper Wyoming

I've had a K-bike, numerous Oilheads (still have one), got a couple Hexheads and a 650GS, but I just got my first airhead tonight---a 1992 R100GS Yellow and Black

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list of "Simple by Choice" riders. 1988 R100RS and a 1983 R65. I also have a 1997 R1100RT for when I want pure comfort on really long rides :)

I bought this R65 new in 1986 - my first BMW and my first new bike. It set me back $3400, which seemed like a small fortune to me at the time as I was just out of grad school on the GI Bill and had hardly a penny to my name. I wanted a black BMW, of course, but the local dealer made a me a good deal on a blue one. I started modifying it right away with the R90s fairing from Bob's Used Parts, a 2 into 1 from San Jose, Euro bars, a Corbin seat, and dual plugged heads I found on Compuserve.

Over the years it accumulated some knicks and scratches, and the fuel tank was weeping a little where rust had formed in the wells. Last winter I decided to do some long overdue mechanical work, and I had a friend of mine paint the bodywork while the bike was torn down. At first I thought I would have it painted all black so that I would finally have the black BMW I originally wanted. However, I had grown attached to the blue over the years, so a little compromise was made.

It is eligible for vintage tags in January and I will put it back on the road for occasional rides. Many bikes have come and gone in my garage, but this one seems intent on sticking around.

DSCN0193.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived