IGNORED

How many Airheads in the house?

Mighty Manfred

Maumelle, just west of North Litle Rock.

I remember reading that ride tale. It didn't look like it was too much fun with the record rains and crash to boot. I hope your next Arkansas excursion is much much better.

Mighty Manfred

Good to see there's a number of airheads here :-) Tech help is always a good thing to share and I hope we can share some lessons as we go.

As soon as this crap turns around and I get back flush I will be adding a R80gspd to my stable. So I am not one by ownership, but I am an Airhead at heart.

Mighty Manfred

Glenn,

You having winter in the desert of Las Vegas? :-) It's sure 'nuff cold in the swamp these daze.

I, also, am not an airhead by birth. Many years of Japanese bike before my first airhead purchase 13 months ago. It rides and fits me better than any bike I've owned. I intend to keep it and ride until one of us falls apart.

No real winter here, it's staying pretty nice actualy and above 40 for the most part.

I like the early RT myself, and rode along with one for a few miles the other day. A guy was on an R80 that loooked like yours going the same direction up Rancho here. It had some aftermarket cans on it and sounded damn good! My dream though is an HPN preped R80 that is 1049cc and dual sided swingarm with long travel...Like this one

http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolution/baja85-1.jpg

Mighty Manfred

One of things I'm not real fond of is the sound of my airhead - like an industrial sewing machine :-) But it's not worth much money to me to "fix" it.

I would think that a bike like the one you linked to would have lots of potential for use in your part of the country.

One of things I'm not real fond of is the sound of my airhead - like an industrial sewing machine :-) But it's not worth much money to me to "fix" it.

What's wrong with you? The pur of the airhead is it's most redeeming feature!!! I love how smooth and quiet they are.

Mighty Manfred

Steve,

LOL! I am no fan at all of loud pipes. My most recent bike was a Yamaha triple (1980 XS850) and know of no sweeter sound than that engine.

I am growing more fond of the sound of my airhead - I do like the fact that it's quiet.

However - the ride-ability of my airhead is its most redeeming feature. I would MUCH rather have a bike that handles well on twisty roads than is whisper quiet so old women and little girls don't run for cover.

The ride is the reason for the bike :-)

Mighty Manfred

Bill,

I have a couple of friends in central Louisiana who has an old R90 (I think) with a side car. They're old guys who need the third wheel :-)

From what I hear, setting up a side car is a delicate operation. I trust you have some good information. Let me know if you me to put you in touch with a couple side car fans.

I have one and am about to put a sidecar on it.

Bill, start out VERY careful in driving a sidecar rig. It is not a motorcycle and it is not a car. I know of a good number of SERIOUS accidents from people who thought they qualify because they were familiar with the controls. Read up on it and practice a lot before you go out to regular riding. A short example: In normal conditions you steer it like a car: to go left you steer left, to turn right you steer right. The moment the sidecar wheel lifts, a common event, it becomes a motorcycle: you steer by countersteering!

I have my original beemer an 80/7 with a Ural sidecar. What Paul said about sidecars is true. Ride with a lot of respect for what it cannot do, like handle. Fun but bizarre. Mine steers well with a fork mod from Jay Gise in Seattle. Very stable on the road. Pulling a tent trailer wreaks the devil out of the trans though. I'm on the 3rd trans now. The 1000cc motor pulls the rig well. I've been yelled at by the CHP but not stopped for doing 70 on I-5 over the grapevine.

Count me in too - '80 R100T - first Beemer - 4 years and 60,000 miles - all good - 30 years on a Panhead prior - 6 months with my R1150RT - just shy of 6,000 miles - great ride - Norm - Southern Maryland

I have one and am about to put a sidecar on it.

Bill, start out VERY careful in driving a sidecar rig. It is not a motorcycle and it is not a car. I know of a good number of SERIOUS accidents from people who thought they qualify because they were familiar with the controls. Read up on it and practice a lot before you go out to regular riding. A short example: In normal conditions you steer it like a car: to go left you steer left, to turn right you steer right. The moment the sidecar wheel lifts, a common event, it becomes a motorcycle: you steer by countersteering!

I want to thank everyone for thier concern about operating a sidecar rig. Fortunately this will be my second rig, check my sig line. Also, I have taken the Evergreen class twice, once before having a rig and once after having it for a year. Again, thanks for your concern. Now back to your regularly schedualed program on airheads.

Hello fellow Airheads!

I picked up this sadly neglected and horribly abused '77 R100/7 on Pender Island BC for $1500 back in Sep '09, to be my winter project. So far, I've stripped her down to the very last nut and washer and am restoring her from the ground up. It's an expensive and slow-going process, but you can follow if you're interested at: http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/Margaree/R100%20PROJECT/ and http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/Margaree/R100%20REBUILD/

IMG_1221.jpg

Happy New Year !

Mighty Manfred

Whoo-hooo! I'm encouraged by the number of airheads on this forum. Let's start documenting and sharing tips on keeping these bikes running.

I'm in...I have a 1974 R 75/6 with a sidecar...

Winter wrenching in the garage today, preparing for another attempt at a Lake Huron SS1000...next summer

Another Air head rider here, found and old neglected one and built what I wanted out of it.

R100%20Fall%20Ride%20026-026.jpg

Mike

That is just a gorgeous paint scheme. Terrific looking bike. Nicely done!

Another Air head rider here, found and old neglected one and built what I wanted out of it.

R100%20Fall%20Ride%20026-026.jpg

Mike

That is just a gorgeous paint scheme. Terrific looking bike. Nicely done!

Thanks Vinny, I had a local guy in our vintage club paint it for me. I asked him if he had ever done a BMW smoke paint job. He told me he had never done one

but always wanted to. I supplied him with lots of photos I collected off the web and the body parts. Months and months later i had my paint done. I basically told him

to call me when "he" was happy with it. ;)

Mike

Three airheads here. My wife's 1971 R60/5

mj1.jpg

my 1977 R100S

r100s%20-%20leftfronthigh.jpg

and the most precious of all, my 1973 R75/5 LWB, which is currently under construction as a cafe. Everything's just been painted and chromed, and now just needs to be put back together. My tranny's at Tom Cutter's, and when he's done, he gets the engine too!

Love the old airheads!

-MKL

Is that front tire shot or what?

Yes...it was...

Picture from 2 years ago...since then all new tires...plus

sidecar and bike have been aligned for toe-in, lead, and attitude (of the bike, mine changes drastically with a Warsteiner ;-)

Toe-in is hardest because my son is the monkey. He keeps getting bigger ;-) I have to adjust for him, then also change the weights I put in the hack when he's not there...

This R100RS was a beauty until a drunk hit me and destroyed it:

138863425_u7k5t-M.jpg

I added dual spark heads and high compression pistons. Shew flew down the road.

I replaced the R100RS with this R75/6 and still have her:

188286695_uqChj-M.jpg

I have to say that the R75 is the smoothest and most confortable motorcycle that I have ridden. This is a keeper!

HairyCannonball

76 R90/6..Still original paint. Seat in the photos was a borrowed seat off of a 74 while the original was re-done. I have owned this bike since 1991, bought from a very good friend who bought it new.

4848.jpg.e29d72f984384bc49b56f5b77ccfe011.jpg

Mighty Manfred

moshe, Steve, & Hairy - absolutely beautiful bikes! Too bad about your R100RS, Steve. It reminds me of my R80RT :-)

May%2027,%202009%20003.jpg

Count me in. 1975 R90/6 and a 1993 R100GS. If anyone rides an R65 you should check out the BMWR65.org forum. Lots of really good R65 specific technical information over there as well as some great friendly folks.

It's getting to be a pretty big group...'77 R75/7 and '80 R100RS here...('oo r1100rt also) and yes I also think the 750s are the best of the bunch.

• 3 weeks later...
louisvillebob

1 more airhead here. 90,000 miles on a '93 R100RT. Great bike, s/w modified: enhanced brakes from 2000 oilhead RT, HID lights, parabellum windshield, Russell saddle, Koni shock. Planning to ride it to Int'l rally in Oregon in July.

My dad's airhead RT has probably 150,000+ miles on it. We lost track after the speedo replacement.

Ride safely.

Archived