IGNORED

Why H-D is in trouble, and why killing Buell was a mistake

Bill_Walker

I can back it up with the one I owned... It was eventually bought back by Buell.

And I know of three people here in town the same thing happened to... One on a Buell, one on a Honda, and one on a Kawasaki. So, using your logic all three brands are crap... Bottom line is something was amiss on those bikes and I'm sure if each manufacturer spent enough money replacing parts they would be fine, but lets face it, why should the consumer be burdened with having to have their bike in the shop while techs fiddle around with it? They shouldn't and regardless each person (except Mark with his Buell) has sworn off the brand because of how difficult it was to deal with the "mothership".

I'm not saying there aren't bad bikes, but pick a brand and you'll hear the same story. I'm sure there are BMW stories... in fact, I'll bet money on it based on stories you read on this board, that there are lemons BMW produced as well, yet most of us love our BMWs for one reason or another.

And getting back to the topic, while Buell may have produced quirky bikes with outdated motors (until the 1125 Rotax), Erik and team got everything out of those engines and more. If he didn't, Buell sales wouldn't have continued increasing while HD sales took a nose-dive ... in spite of dealers ignoring or being rude to potential Buell customers.

Buell and HD were not a match made in heaven. However until HD (and the rest of the industry) figures out how to make motorcycles appealing to the 20-something crowd, the industry is going to continue being in a funk.

Wayne

John Ranalletta

Jeebus...

From bad housing loans to bad biker loans. The Fed chips in with taxpayer money again:

TALF makes H-D bonds attractive and carry a low interest rate, because the funds are backed by the Federal Reserve bank. That money should be used to finance motorcycle purchases and, hopefully, spur the Motor Company into solid black ink again.

Archived