IGNORED

Two examples why you need RideSmart...

Huzband

I'm not suggesting this but rather I am enthusiastically requesting that you guys (ride smart instructors) should get together and write a book called "Ride Smart".

Its a win win!

Good thread here. One of the things my dad (first college grad in his family) always pounded into me was to get all the training in anything anyone wanted to offer.

I have been in the military and volunteered for all the special training I could get. I am a pilot, and always took advanced training, and recurrent training at every chance available to me.

I agree with the comments that to really learn something, teach it. I am a MSF/Harley-Davidson Riders Edge instructor and that keeps me very sharp with the skills and understanding the physics of riding. I am also a NAUI scuba instructor. Again, that keeps me sharp in the skills to survive underwater, and keep students safe at the same time.

I always look for training opportunities to take motorcycle classes as a student, to learn additional skills, but also to use them as as "check ride" kind of like in the aircraft, to have another set of eyes look at me and see if I have developed any bad habits that I am not aware of.

As noted by others here, a lot of riders seriously overestimate their skill level and get into trouble with bad outcomes. They will not take any kind of riding courses for whatever reason, generally having nothing to do with the monetary cost. Ego is a bad thing.

Happily, I have had a lot of more mature people (that's diplomatic isn't it!) who have been riding, decide to take the BRC class with us. All, including some with 50+ years experience, have told us that they enjoyed the class and learned something they did not know, so that is good.

I have also had some students who "already know how to ride" and are being made by their parents to take the course. Interestingly, they have little clutch control skill, and have many issues controlling the training bikes. Most already have high power sport bikes and have already crashed them by not knowing about countersteering and proper brake usage.

Sadly, about 60% of the people we see riding around in Louisiana have no valid endorsement. A goodly portion of these people are either "self-taught", or "a friend taught them". Statistically this is probably about right for most states. The really sad thing is that in the past year there have been a number of riders who bought high powered sport bikes one day, and died the next day. Not getting proper training is deadly, especially on motorcycles and aircraft.

Point of all this? Training is good. Recurrent training and constant practice of braking, swerving and turning is a good thing for us riders. Besides, you might have fun and learn something new!

I have to go try that swerve with the clutch pulled and throttle off. Hmmmm.... thats different from the MSF version for sure!

Archived