IGNORED

LeftCoastMan

Hi Miriam,

First off, I can understand how you could have construed my phrasing in a way not intended; that's the risk with written versus verbal expression. Add to that my sometimes, nay, usual cheeky way of doing so and it can seem that I have a cavalier attitude when riding. But I don't.

Not to belabor the point, but it is not always possible to follow the 'rules'. A case in point is an uphill right on a blind corner, maybe with a bit of humidity on the less than perfect road surface. You have no idea what's around the bend, traffic, sand, running water, a herd of rampaging deer (sorry, couldn't resist ;) ) so you have to improvise.

To get around that corner you want to set yourself up to your best advantage. Late and wide turn in improves visibility and allows for holding more speed. Staying in 'my half', if it even exists, on a blind uphill right hairpin is, for me at least, not usually an option. And it's here that I threw in the fantome deer to suggest that if one refused to ride roads that involve risk, one would best stick to the autoroutes or stay home. Sh*t does happen even when you follow the rules as Ty said and it's then that your training and ability will kick in.

My 'newfound confidence' hasn't led me to take greater risk, it's enabled me to handle some situations that were previously my 'betes noires'. I don't go out of my way to ride hairpins but if I encounter them, I'm better prepared.

Cheers

:thumbsup: Sounds good Paul!

Glad you cleared that up in case some of the rookies here get the wrong idea.. It takes a lot of willingness to learn from your mistakes and a lot of training to become a decent rider in my book. Anyone can swing a leg over and open the throttle, but it’s the hard earned stuff that makes all the difference.

Archived