IGNORED

Sunrise on Mt. Washington revisited

RevRay

good plan, that way you can dink up the really expensive plastic!

Are you kidding, the heads protect the rest. Those side cases are $700.00. :grin:

Lemme know how that works out for you Roger!

In also. Bring your heated gear. This will be a cold one.

Mike

Oh please, it's cold but not that cold. Just about 50+F on the summit right now. Even if it gets to 30F it's not too cold.

Mike

Oh please, it's cold but not that cold. Just about 50+F on the summit right now. Even if it gets to 30F it's not too cold.

Its been known to snow every month of the year...

Mike

So the Canadians will be in mesh gear while we southerners are wearing parkas and balaclavas?

Mike

Don't under estimate the weather on Washington. It is rather common to be a calm 80F in the valley and 40F with 60mph winds at the summit. I've been on the summit many times and the usual sight is a bunch of freezing tourists ! The weather changes fast too. If you hike, you will see a sign as you go above tree line that states how people have died in the summer due to exposure.

I suggest bringing a warm hat, gloves, and something to block the wind (kinda like a motorcycle suite :grin:). At sunrise, I doubt the "store" will be open for you to warm yourself.

August 2008 Weather stats for Mt Washington:

Average temp:47.1F

High Temp: 68F

Low Temp: 30F

Snowfall: 0.2 inches

Average wind speed: 21mph

Peak Gust: 85 mph

Days with more than 73mph winds: 4

Number of clear days: 2

Number of days with snow: 2

Visit here: Website

:thumbsup:

So you are telling me that I will be a popular guy up there if I am smart enough to pack a hot thermos full of coffee?

I aint got no steenkin heated gear....

Long sleeve shirt count?.. :thumbsup:

We know! You often don't have "socks" either! :rofl:

So you are telling me that I will be a popular guy up there if I am smart enough to pack a hot thermos full of coffee?

ABSOLUTELY!

Oh yeh! And a camp stove tucked in a sheltered spot with eggs and home fries steaming away. :rofl:

Friends or maybe I should say X-friends, A Plan has been devised to proceed with our sun rise odyssey up Mt. Washington, that I will divulge as the soon as the good folks at the group desk return my numerous calls. I will try again tomorrow and will keep you all posted.

:clap:

Friends, The Mount Washington Sunrise odyssey is a go. We are schedule to witness the sunrise atop of the coldest, windiest place on the east coast of these United States, on August 11, 2009 with a wind date of August 13, 2009 we go in the rain.

Payment will be collected at Unregistration, from this thread it seems that we have 20 hearty souls ready to mount there mechanized steeds a brave the said Odyssey. The cost will be $35.00 each based on twenty riders. Costs will be adjusted accordingly to number of participants. If anyone out can set-up a questionnaire survey to get a more accurate count please do so. I will work on departure times and routes soon but now I have to get to work.

Way to go RevRay!!!! You must be a personal friend of Howie (the owner) to get the road opened up so early just for the UNrally.

I stopped by the gatehouse this afternoon at the Auto Road to ask how early I should arrive tomorrow for the sunrise ride. Da' Mannn said "best be here early as it's a REALLY popular ride." Judging from the U-Tube video with bumper to bumper cars heading up in the dark, I would say he's right. $35 PP is ~2.5 times the regular rate, but IMHO would be well worth it to have the whole mountain to yourselves...hope the weather cooperates. My wife and I plan to be at the gate ~4:30AM tomorrow so if anyone is up this way...do give us "the wave". (Blue K1200GT)

Nice n Easy Rider

Well, although this forecast for Mt. Washington is for a day almost a week before our scheduled sunrise trip, it definitely suggests some warm riding gear might be appropriate.

Aug 5 High: 46° Low: 42°

Mike, Good question I’m afraid I may have miss led members as to the cost, please see contract that I pasted to your reply. After speaking Ms. Powers I thought cost would be 690.00 regardless the size of the group. If we have less than thirty particapants the group will absurb the additional cost. More than thirty it will be Twenty three dollars each.

Ray Aubel July 25, 2009

BMW Motorcycle Rally

130-2459th Ave

Flushing, NY 11355

Dear Ray,

This is to confirm your group for a before hours morning tour on the Mt. Washington Auto Road.

NAME OF GROUP DAY DATE TIME # OF PEOPLE

BMW Rally Tuesday August 11, 2009 See attached 30 or $690.00

Payment Policy: The minimum number of guests is 30 at $23.00 per person or $690.00. You can have less guests but the dollar amount stays the same. If your guest count increases - you will have a balance due which will be paid upon your arrival. Please see attached for your morning tour schedule. The Auto Road will lead you to the summit in one of our stages and we will also be the last vehicle in line. This is in case anyone has any problems.

Cancellation Policy: Thank you for your payment of $690.00. At this late date if you choose to cancel your payment of $690.00 will be forfeited. If the Auto Road needs to postpone due to weather we will work with you for the best date. If we need to cancel we will refund your $690.00.

Weather on Mt. Washington is rather unreliable and quick to change. Especially so in the early and late seasons as any low temperature combined with precipitation and wind can cause snow or rain to freeze and force closing of the road. Therefore, reservations for the Auto Road are contingent on weather conditions.

In the event of inclement weather, we can provide your group with an alternate program at our Base Lodge that includes a tour of the adjacent Red Barn Museum, a program with slide show, refreshments and a memento.

Please call us 48 hours prior to your arrival to confirm the number of guests in your group.

We look forward to welcoming your group to the Mt Washington Auto Road and the Northeast's highest peak, Mt Washington. Please sign and return this contract with your deposit. If we can be of additional service to you do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely, Organizer Signature: ______________________

Mary Power

Date: ___________________

Mary Power,

Events Director / Group Sales

Mt. Washington Auto Road

Great Glen Trails

P.O. Box 278

Gorham, NH 03581

603-466-3988

LOST on my LT
Mike, Good question I’m afraid I may have miss led members as to the cost, please see contract that I pasted to your reply. After speaking Ms. Powers I thought cost would be 690.00 regardless the size of the group. If we have less than thirty particapants the group will absurb the additional cost. More than thirty it will be Twenty three dollars each.

I see how you arrived at that conclusion. I did the same thing. So if we had 20 people, the cost would be the original quote of $34.50. If 30 or more people, then $23. Gotcha.

Archived