IGNORED

Sunrise on Mt. Washington revisited

RevRay

Unrally goers; it may still be possible to catch a sunrise atop of Mount Washington. Today I was in contact with a representitive from Mount Washington auto road special events/group office. It is possible if a group of us were interested in an early morning ride up they might be able to make it happen. So if you are interested please advise in this thread so I have idea of the group size.

barryNmarin

I'm not familiar with the area so I was wondering why does one need to have someone else organize a ride to the top of a mountain?? Why not just get on your bike and ride??

I'm obviously missing something. :S

Calvin  (no socks)

Barry, to make sunrise at the top, you would have to leave campground at about 03:00. It will be a stealth op...

Barry, to make sunrise at the top, you would have to leave campground at about 03:00. It will be a stealth op...

So....are we getting up early, or staying up really late?

Either way, I'm interested

Paul Mihalka

To be on the top of Mt. Washington really at sunrise, you'll have to ride up in the dark. I will be very surprised if the park authorities will make special arrangements to let a bunch of bikers ride up in the dark.

To be on the top of Mt. Washington really at sunrise, you'll have to ride up in the dark. I will be very surprised if the park authorities will make special arrangements to let a bunch of bikers ride up in the dark.

Especially this group of hoons :grin:

barryNmarin

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize the road was a controlled access road. Now I understand the problem. If you go, take some pixs so we can see what we are missing.

Hi Barry,

Until those much better pictures get taken next month... Here is a link to some pictures I took with my iPhone camera a few weeks ago.

Also, here is the link to the Mt. Washington Auto Road web site with some good background and pictures. At 6,200 feet, it's no fourteen'r like Mt. Evans but it's the road that makes 'em both interesting to me... and the views aren't bad either.

Cheers!

Paul

barryNmarin

Thanks for the links, Paul, very nice photos. It should be a fun ride for those lucky enough to make it to the Unrally. I'll have to settle for lurking and enjoying the ride tales this year.

UN’ers I wish I had more to report, but unfortunately my phone calls made yesterday to Mt. Washington auto road group office have not been returned. Although staffers assure me that arranging a group sunrise ride is plausible, I will try again tomorrow to contact said office, I will keep you posted

Friends, finally got call back from good folks @ Mount Washington auto road groups, at 5pm on a Sunday while riding, I missed opportunity to speak with group director but she left me a nice message and will call me back on tuesday. I counted 8 persons interested in sunrise on Mt. Washington. Not sure but I think we will require more than eight to make a group. Anyone else interested please chime in.

LOST on my LT

Holy Hell, If I can shake the burbon cobwebs out of my head that early, I'm in! As an added bonus, I won't be able to see the sheer cliff drop-offs and lack of guardrails that early in the morning!

This is one of those "Do it now or forever hold your peace" events... I may fall asleep and drown in my drawn butter at the lobster dinner, but it will have been worth it. Count me in :thumbsup:

Here's the official info for Gorham, NH the town closest closest to Mt Washington that I can find info on. I suppose if you're at the top of the mountain sunrise starts earlier?

U.S. Naval Observatory

Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Gorham, Coos County, New Hampshire (longitude W71.2, latitude N44.4):

Tuesday

11 August 2009 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 5:11 a.m.

Sunrise 5:43 a.m.

Sun transit 12:50 p.m.

Sunset 7:56 p.m.

End civil twilight 8:28 p.m.

MOON

Moonrise 9:33 p.m. on preceding day

Moon transit 4:27 a.m.

Moonset 11:35 a.m.

Moonrise 9:56 p.m.

Moonset 12:46 p.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 11 August: waning gibbous with 72% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

Last quarter Moon on 13 August 2009 at 2:56 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

Calvin  (no socks)

Reminder gang, this is still a wish list.... No authorization has been granted as of yet...Rev Ray?... Rev Ray?... Rev Ray?.... :lurk:

If it can be arranged for us and the road would not be loaded down with other vehicles I am definitely in for this!

Ride up in the dark but without the constraint of other vehicles, see the sunrise, and then enjoy the ride down! This would be a unique and fun adventure and I think we would get more of the board members involved if it can be firmed up.

Calvin, don't you sometimes simply sleep along the side of the road on your Florida to Torri rides? Perhaps we could sleep at the foot of of mountain the night before the ride up.

Calvin  (no socks)

I can sleep anywhere, but will have the Mrs... she won't do the sunrise thing...DAMHIK, as we will have to leave Lancaster at approx 3:00 to make the top prior to sunrise...RevRay?....RevRay?....

Reminds me of Ferris Buellers Day Off.

Sorry for the delay. This is the deal offered by the good folks at Mt. Washington groups desk; Ms. Mary Power. The cost to open the road is $690.00 for thirteen riders the cost is fifty-four dollars. If more people join the cheaper the odyssey gets. Something to keep in mind is the road is often closed due to inclement weather, in that case we will be reschedule for the next day??? How flexible can you be? What say you?

Something to keep in mind is the road is often closed due to inclement weather, in that case we will be reschedule for the next day??? How flexible can you be? What say you?

I would suspect that most People that are willing to get up a 3:00 a.m. and ride in the dark for a couple of hours to sit on the top of a mountain are "flexible". I am still "in" if we can keep the cost below $75 per person. What day are you thinking about doing this?

Sorry for the delay. This is the deal offered by the good folks at Mt. Washington groups desk; Ms. Mary Power. The cost to open the road is $690.00 for thirteen riders the cost is fifty-four dollars. If more people join the cheaper the odyssey gets. Something to keep in mind is the road is often closed due to inclement weather, in that case we will be reschedule for the next day??? How flexible can you be? What say you?

Rev, If you think it wouldn't jeopardize your first request, would you be so kind as to inquire about the availability of the Cog Train going up in time to take folks up to see the sunrise?

Ah, what the hell......IN! :grin:

Is leaving home on the 9th and only worrying about being home in time to get to work on the 17th considered flexible?

I'm getting pretty good at riding up mountain roads I have

a good teacher. :/. Is this one at least paved?

Count me in. :thumbsup:

LOL......no

Last month was just practice :rofl:

And don't forget you get a STICKER saying, "This bike climbed Mt. Washington". So if not for the sunrise, do it for the sticker!

LOL......no

Last month was just practice :rofl:

Well I'm taking the side cases off this time. no reason to tempt fate.

Thanks, but it looks like too organized and too many people for me :grin:.

besides, my riding buddy can't get to my place in PA till Sunday.

good plan, that way you can dink up the really expensive plastic!

Are you kidding, the heads protect the rest. Those side cases are $700.00. :grin:

Archived