IGNORED

My Long Ride for Life

drswift

The adventure begins!

This is it, finally, the start of my two month odyssey! A big loop around the United States. It’s the chance of a lifetime for me to see a lot of great places, meet a bunch of new people, and ride some great roads. And hopefully, raise a bunch of money for the American Cancer Society.

The bike has been tuned.

578945597_62dHu-M.jpg

Camping gear and tools are stowed.

581223319_qFosU-M.jpg

Clothing all packed.

581222930_r5gDR-M.jpg

Look! Everything actually fits on the bike!

581223491_8cNVQ-M.jpg

Routes and stops all identified.

578947492_oJQRX-M.jpg

Here is my route list and schedule:

Date Destination

6-Jul Bishop, CA

7-Jul Needles, CA

8-Jul Prescott Valley, AZ

9-Jul Pie Town, NM

10-Jul Tucumcari, NM

11-Jul Pauls Valley, OK

12-Jul Hot Springs Village, AK

13-Jul West Monroe, LA

14-Jul Birmingham, AL

15-Jul Canton, NC

16-Jul Johnson City, TN - MOA Rally

19-Jul Waynesville, NC

20-Jul Franklin,TN

31-Jul Given, WV

1-Aug Shenandoah Park, VA

2-Aug Tully, NY

3-Aug Richmond, VT

5-Aug Waitsfield, VT

6-Aug Woodstock, VT

8-Aug Chester, VT

10-Aug Lancaster, NH - BMWST Unrally

14-Aug Ottawa, ONT

15-Aug Blind River, ONT

16-Aug Gwinn, MI

17-Aug Duluth, MN

18-Aug Fargo, ND

19-Aug Miles City, MT

20-Aug Butte, MT

21-Aug St. Mary, MT (Glacier)

22-Aug Nine Mile Falls, WA

23-Aug Seattle, WA

24-Aug South Bend, WA

25-Aug Troutdale, OR

26-Aug Bend, OR

27-Aug Mountain Home, ID

28-Aug Wendover, UT

3-Sep Home

Here’s my starting mileage (for those of you who have made a pledge based on miles.)

582692942_sCkYC-M.jpg

I ride at dawn! Hope you can follow along.

Les is more

What a great reason to travel the country!

Hope you have a great ride!! See you in NH.

Dave,

Wishing you a successful trip full of great scenery, exciting places, warm people and new experiences.

BeniciaRT_GT

Enjoy Dave! That sounds like an epic trip, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone prepare more for a trip!

See you and your better half at the UN!!!

FYI in case you dont know the law recently changed to require US Citizens to have a passport to re-enter the US from Canada and Mexico. You will need your passport to return from Canada. Also, the US customs service will be inspecting items that may have been purchased out of the country to assess duty. Be sure to declare any items you will be takig out of the country such as cameras, electronics, computers, etc. as you leave the US (serial numbers and pourchase receipts). Also, bike title and insurance papres.

The first day!

Today was a great start. Up to Donner Lake, around Tahoe, and down 395 to Bishop, with a few scenic detours thrown in. Great riding in the Sierras!

583964885_6WGQP-M.jpg

For pictures and details, go to my website.

Bheckel169

Look for us at the beer tent on Friday at 5:00 pm, July 17th at the MOA Rally. I'll buy you a beer. Make sure you make yourself known.

Bruce

Feelin' the heat!

I left Bishop just before 5:30 a.m., thinking I would beat the heat. That proved wishful thinking. By the time I arrived in Needles it was 110. But that’s only part of the story.

584999734_y8qF6-M.jpg

barryNmarin

Sounds like you are off to a great start on a fantastic adventure. Great photos and I am enjoying your blog. I think we are all a bit envious of this odyssey you have embarked upon. I'm sure you'll continue your blog in Homeric fashion. I'll be checking your progress each evening. Here's wishing you blue skies and cooler weather!! :thumbsup:

Bheckel169

Your picture today is really quite amazing. Great relief, contrasts and the stark black ribbon as it takes you on your journey is beautiful.

Bruce

Heat and more heat.

I left Bishop just before 5:30 a.m., thinking I would beat the heat. That proved wishful thinking. By the time I arrived in Needles it was 110. But that’s only part of the story.

584999734_y8qF6-M.jpg

Due to some family issues and lack of internet access for two days, I’m now playing catch-up.

July 8 was a great ride up to Kingman, AZ. I “got my kicks” along 100 miles of some of the best that Route 66 has to offer.

586304878_4JKFG-M.jpg

586304929_WKMxb-M.jpg

586304991_dnkmY-M.jpg

586305026_NYcGy-M.jpg

The following day, July 9, was a welcome change of scenery into the higher elevations along Highway 260, a great road. I met up with JohnLT in Show Low. We weathered a storm together as we crossed in New Mexico in Hwy 60.

Details and photo links a now posted on my website.

barryNmarin

Dave may have found his ass but he definitely lost his gut!! You are looking lean and mean and that dietary regimen is working. -35lbs?? :thumbsup:

I love that ride across AZ and NM plus JohnLT is a good riding buddy to have along. Take care and keep dodging those storm clouds!

I love that ride across AZ and NM plus JohnLT is a good riding buddy to have along.

I agree, even if he wears that wierd hairdo.

587523852_wcj9c-M.jpg

Across New Mexico,one of my new favorite places.

A personal note of thanks to those who have sent me pledges this week for the Cancer Society. :clap: I’ll be thrilled if I can get 18 more people at a penny a mile. Some cash donations have also come in. :clap: I started the trip with $135, and my goal is to hit $1,000. Ambitious, but not impossible given the number of people reading my blog. And finally, to the friends and relatives who have donated to my coffee fund, I thank you for your support and kindness. :wave:

Now, back to my trip…

Another big sky day, following me from Pie Town through Albuquerque, and on to Tucumcari. I was “willin” to check out a number of little towns along the way in search of Route 66 artifacts. Found some modern technology as well.

588432629_CHwod-M.jpg

More on the website.

Goodbye to the Mother Road

I spent half the day checking out more Route 66 remnants along I-40, across Texas and into Oklahoma. I hit the mother lode of Route 66 museums in Elk City. And that was just half the day’s activities!

590247771_sBdot-L.jpg

Sweeping into Hot Springs

Another long and very hot day across Oklahoma and into Arkansas. Lots of great roads and scenery along the way with little or no traffic. The last 30 miles was the best part of the day.

591423669_68kBQ-M.jpg

More of the scenic South

Continuing south through Arkansas and into Louisiana, the country roads were a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. On the way, I found a nice spot to sample more BBQ. At this rate, my diet may be in serious jeopardy!

592420838_WHyVJ-M.jpg

Dave, I replied to your Thursday e-mail suggesting a ride on Saturday if you're up for it. See my Hotmail reply (sent Friday at 5:45 p.m.)

In response to:

Poster: drswift

Subject: Re: July 13

More of the scenic South

Continuing south through Arkansas and into Louisiana, the country roads were a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. On the way, I found a nice spot to sample more BBQ. At this rate, my diet may be in serious jeopardy!

You can't pass a good BBQ restaurant.

Dave and I have arranged to go for a ride Saturday at the MOA rally in Tennessee. Seems to be in fine form.

Dave and I have arranged to go for a ride Saturday at the MOA rally in Tennessee. Seems to be in fine form.

Especially now that I have a familiar face to ride with! It was great to see you and your wife! :clap:

Mississippi meanderings

Looking for something to see on I-20 in Mississippi (besides pine trees), I took a little detour to visit a real country store in Kewanee.

Say “cheese.”

594065853_EHUvM-M.jpg

Motorcycle Heaven

I visited the amazing Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum outside of Birmingham on my way to North Carolina. It is home to five floors of every kind of motorcycle imaginable, as well as some classic racecars. My pictures are just a sample of what you’ll find there. Hopefully you can stay longer than I did.

595019528_wjoCg-L.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for taking us on your fantastic voyage. Here's wishing you great weather with all the other wishes that you have recieved.

When I arrived in Franklin, TN, yesterday I learned my dad had passed away.

For more info see my website.

BeniciaRT_GT

Dave,

I'm so very sorry to hear that sad news :cry:

Sorry for your loss.

barryNmarin

Dave, Katy and I send our condolences and will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Let me know if I can help out with anything.

Nice n Easy Rider

Dave, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and all of your family.

Dave, Katherine and I are very sorry to hear about your father; our simcerest condolences.

Dave,

I am so very sorry to hear about your Dad.

You do what YOU need to do.

Be safe and let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

J-

Les is more

We're thinking of you Dave. It's hard to lose a parent under any circumstances. May loving thoughts and fond memories of your dad strengthen and support you on your journey.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and your prayers. The response I've received is pretty amazing. Fortunately I had already planned to be here for the next week, so I have time to deal with this off the road.

I'm getting lots support and comfort from my cousin's family here in Tenn., and appreciating all the good vibes from all of you great folks. Thanks again to you all!

Archived