IGNORED

My Long Ride for Life

drswift

Catching up

As promised, I’ve updated the website with journals for these three days, and posted a ton of photos on my Smugmug link. There were some amazing roads around Johnson City! I wish I’d had three more days there to explore them.

Thanks to all for your prayers, kind words, and your patience. More soon!

600362008_XQLvN-L.jpg

Hooked on the Smokies

I left Johnson City, TN on Sunday morning and headed back to southern NC for more great riding. I picked the wrong day to ride the Blue Ridge, but I had a nice surprise when I got to Highway 64.

601280762_pta8E-L.jpg

Over the Smokies, past the Dragon.

I'm probably the only guy who has ridden in the Smoky Mountains who didn’t take the time to do the Tail of the Dragon. I think I found a more enjoyable alternative called the Cherohala Skyway.

602490390_T2Yxw-L.jpg

Vicious_Cycler

I'm probably the only guy who has ridden in the Smoky Mountains who didn’t take the time to do the Tail of the Dragon. I think I found a more enjoyable alternative called the Cherohala Skyway.

The Dragon is a must-do b/c everyone else says you must do it. Overall the Skyway is more breathtaking beautiful... and fun if you ride it to kick it's arse! DAMHIK :Cool:

Beating back the funk

My cousin and I took a two day trip down to Natchez, Mississippi. Although it looks like I’m backtracking, this was a special trip. For all the details and lots of photos please check out my website (link below).

603865236_wyneC-M.jpg

Kicking back in Franklin

This is a great little town just 20 miles south of Nashville. There’s lots of historical sites in the area, as well as an amazing amount of great old homes, and a nice downtown area. You’ll find my quickie home tour on my website .

605768195_83wCb-M.jpg

Dodging the Dark Clouds

Departing the Nashville area, Hwy 31E and the Cumberland Parkway took me across Kentucky to the Daniel Boone National Forrest. I did a big loop, ending up in Manchester just as the storm front finally caught up to me. Another seven hours of great roads included a quaint little college town.

606525029_q3ZZn-M.jpg

Just sort of reactions to a few things in order, as I'm catching up on this.

581223491_8cNVQ-M.jpg

Uh, yeah, but where are you gonna fit?

594065853_EHUvM-M.jpg

Cheese, I'm thinkin' knife there big fellow!

Wow, sorry to hear about your dad. That's really hard.

Looking forward to seeing you in Lancaster!

Coal Country

Winding through 300 miles of great Kentucky roads, I kept one step ahead of ugly rain clouds on the way to West Virginia. Along the way, I made a quick detour into Ohio just for fun. More details on my website.

607475384_ox2MC-M.jpg

West Virginia’s 200 mile motorcycle road.

This trip through the Monongahela over to Shenandoah National Park is six hours of motorcycle nirvana. I wish I had real time video instead of a point-and-shoot camera.

609357318_i3E9v-M.jpg

Dave, I'm really enjoying your trip. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but am grateful that he is at peace. Now he can travel with you wherever you go. See you at the UN

Monsoon Ride

After ten hours of heavy rain, fog, truck spray, road construction and other pleasantries, I finally made it from Shenandoah National Park to New York State.

The clouds only parted just as I crossed the border.

610906752_z68MR-M.jpg

The Dragon is a must-do b/c everyone else says you must do it. Overall the Skyway is more breathtaking beautiful... and fun if you ride it to kick it's arse! DAMHIK :Cool:

Yeah! What he said!! :Cool:

Through Russia, with love.

Today was all about the Adirondacks, and crossing Lake Champlain into Vermont. Clear skies, light traffic, and wonderful views. All the details and photos on my website.

611642502_mSyrQ-M.jpg

One month down, one to go!

This is start of month two of my “Long Ride For Life.” If you just joined the trip, it’s great to have you along.

If you have been following my trip from the start, reading the blog on my website and have stuck with me this long, how about making a small donation or a pledge to the American Cancer Society? Details are on the right-hand column of my home page. The website linky is below.

Traveling Buddy

Picked up Janet at the airport this morning. We’re running up to Stowe, then down along Hwy 100 to Waitsfield, home of American Flatbread. It’s all on the website.

613425401_NuzXD-M.jpg

Dave, can't believe you were in Waitsfield. We got married at an Inn (1824 House) just north of Waitsfield in 2006.

In the heart of Vermont

By the time we got to Woodstock we were half a million strong - oops , wrong place, wrong generation! But our little journey was just as fun and a lot less crowded. Hwy 100 was made for touring on a motorcycle. More good stuff is on the website.

614007381_36VSJ-M.jpg

To New Hampshire and back

Sometimes you come across a fantastic road that was not on your intended route. That’s one of the many wonderful things we got to enjoy today.

615169000_e8V3a-M.jpg

Chester and Weston

We checked out more great little towns and hamlets, and enjoyed more great roads and wonderful old homes. We are even getting great weather. Follow along on the website.

615682953_i3o3j-M.jpg

Along the Connecticut River

It was a great run down the river road to Southern Vermont. Slower and bumpier than the faster interstate, but much more satisfying. We visited the closest thing to the town of Stepford this side of Hollywood.

617234771_NpmLo-M.jpg

Back to New Hampshire

We crisscrossed the Connecticut River on our way to Lancaster to attended the UnRally. Roger’s campground turned out to be the perfect venue for our get together. Read more on my website.

618505620_uA492-M.jpg

Unbeatable time at the UN

Had three great days at the Unrally, seeing old friends and making new ones. The riding was a little damp at times, but the group meals were nothing but great. All the details on my website

620119541_wEbfX-M.jpg

Dave and I arrived safely at my place in Ottawa just after 8:00 p.m. Friday (15 August). We had left the UnRally in New Hampshire at 10:00 a.m. and ridden via Burlington, VT so that Janet could catch her flight to NYC and on to California.

It was great hooking up with both Dave and Janet at the UnRally. This was the second time in a few weeks I had the opportunity to spend some time with Dave (the other was at the MOA Rally in Tennessee).

Here's Dave backing out of my garage Saturday morning:

IMG_7137.jpg

Here he is just a few minutes later stopped outside 24 Sussex Drive -- the residence of the Prime Minister:

IMG_7138.jpg

Here I am explaining to Dave how to count in litres. After fueling, he was headed west towards Blind River, Ontario.

IMG_7142.jpg

Into Canada

We left New Hampshire, and took a quick run across northern Vermont on the way to the airport. There I had to say goodbye to my traveling companion of the last ten days. Next, Mark led me across the border to his home town.

620865214_q5Gvs-M.jpg

Dave, looks like your trip schedules you through Seattle. My home and work (Gerbings) is an hour south on I-5. If you can manage to call me when you're in the area, and swing by, I'll have a personal check to help with your fundraising. I've sent you my cell number and my work number in a PM.

Your journey is a wonderful one. And your dad's passing has touched me as mine did the same not that long ago. I hope you feel yours ride with you. I do mine, sometimes just looking over my shoulder, sometimes his presence is almost overwhelming. But it's always a joy to share the road with him.

Call.

Leaving Ottawa

Heading out from Ottawa, I made a quick detour into Quebec. Then it was on to Lake Huron in search of my campsite.

622973851_6h92r-M.jpg

Back in the USA

Made it safely across the border into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Had a few interesting stops along the way. Pictures and story on the website.

623576651_DFDgq-M.jpg

Got Balls?

If you have any you’ll go to my website and read about my trip through the Badlands. And while you’re there, how about making a donation to the American Cancer Society?

625992464_zfb96-M.jpg

Zen Riding to Glacier

I found 50 miles of wonderfulness on the way to Glacier National Park. It was one of those special roads that make you remember your first ride.

628792540_qiw6Z-M.jpg

From St. Mary Lake to Long Lake

I rode through Glacier Park with my daughter. From there, US 2 took me all the way to Washington. Photos and story on the website.

629628933_uXm5W-M.jpg

On the West Coast Again

After a ferry ride to Bremerton I spent two days riding the Olympic Peninsula. The weather was holding up and so was the bike.

632267362_G2WwP-X2.jpg

Along Oregon’s Cascade Range

Heading east again, I was back in one of my favorite parts of the country, with the roads all to myself. For more pics and stuff, visit the website.

633105937_un9nU-M.jpg

From Bend to Bonneville

It took me two short days of riding across eastern Oregon and down through lower Idaho to reach Nevada. From there I to I-80 to Wendover at the Utah line and settled into my hotel. This would be the last major stop on my long journey. More, as always, on my website.

634132650_TPPji-M.jpg

Bonneville Speed Trials: Days 1 - 3

Got my first taste of racing on the salt. What a rush! An amazing place to be even without motorcycle speed trials. More, and lots of pics on the website.

637849500_zEdpN-M.jpg

Bub Speed Trials: Day 4-6

Lots of great racing with a number of new records set. Working on the International Course was really a blast. So was the scenery.

Only one more day left on my trip! Make a pledge or a donation now on my website.

638832630_SUDgs-M.jpg

Nice n Easy Rider
Bub Speed Trials: Day 4-6

Lots of great racing with a number of new records set. Working on the International Course was really a blast. So was the scenery.

Only one more day left on my trip! Make a pledge or a donation now on my website.

638832630_SUDgs-M.jpg

Now Dave, there seems to be some sort of a gender bias in this photo. :grin:

10-Jul Tucumcari, NM

11-Jul Pauls Valley, OK

12-Jul Hot Springs Village, AK

13-Jul West Monroe, LA

14-Jul Birmingham, AL

What an amazing trip. The only thing I couldn't understand was in your original itinerary. I couldn't understand how you were going to get from Oklahoma to Alaska in one day. And then back to Louisiana in another day. :)

Made it home

After a long day in the saddle, I arrived home safely. All the cleaning, maintenance, and “after action report” can wait. For the next few days I’m going to just savor being home with my wife, family, dog, and fresh tomatoes! See the website for more.

640293760_jsGHR-M-1.jpg

Archived