IGNORED

Bling for the RT (Backlit BMW Emblem / Roundel)

BostonBagger

FWIW, light laws vary from state to state. In CT, blue lights are designated for Fire vehicles, including personally owned vehicles used by volunteers. The blue light is a courtesy light, meaning that there is NO requirement to yield the right of way to such a vehicle. Nor is there permission for the operator of a blue-light vehicle to disregard any rule of the road.

Troopers and other Police vehicles in CT routinely use (and are issued) flashing blue lights--however the RED (and white) flashers are the ones that demand the right of way.

In MA, the troopers have only blue & white, no reds. (well, so I've been told.) Go figure.

I am thinking about making up 10 kits. I'm pricing out the components out as we speak.

Looks like you might need a few more than 10! :thumbsup:

Nice retrofit!

BostonBagger

I'm been ordering parts for 20 units. I talked to the fabricator today and have decided to use him and now have a price. Cost coming shortly.

Phil

Slyder_Steve

I'd love to get a set so count me in for one--unless I've got to mortgage the house to buy it.

Slyder

BostonBagger

Update. I sent out requests for quotes to 6 fabricators a while back in various areas of the country. Of those 6, only 2 responded, one was outrageous and the other, located in my own backyard and reasonable. I visited their facility to check on them. Their small showroom was very professional and they deal with a lot of marine applications, i.e. harsh environments - right up our alley.

The guy was very helpful. I found that there were several ways to get a crystal clear edge, one of which is cheap, but can cause stress and cracking / hazing over time. That part was most interesting, as this was a process recommended for do-it-your-selfers. I'm going with the other process that they use for their marine applications and my motorcycle application. I then saw their frosted edge technique and thought that this might be nice too. With the edge frosted, the light is defused a bit and softens the light even more - something that I thought would be nice too. He's going to make up 2 samples for me and from that, I can decide what to do. Obviously, I'm going to choose the one that looks better. I'll keep you updated.

Phil

I would absolutely be interested! I think its looks great, and I have been looking for this exact same thing since I got my 06 1200RT. And I know someone who would buy it for his LT too. Let me know what you intend on doing and how much you want for it, you got me interested and the wallet out!

Dan

Got to say that the LED lighting looks seriously NICE! Looks like it came OEM from the factory... I have no idea how to do it myself... but if I did I wouldnt hesitate.

If you decide to market a kit be sure to let us all know!

Wonder if the emblem would be the same size/fit for the 33 liter BMW top case. I thing it'll look cool too.

Please don't get frustrated with all that talk about the law etc, it's just the way this DB functions, everything needs to be analyzed and disected. Try an oil question or comment and watch the sparks fly. :wave:

Btw, those of us oblivious to the law that want a set of your emblems no matter what, will they be contacted via PM? That way we don't have to keep on reading the tiresome discussions on the law and colors etc.

If you have any left, I wouldnt mind a bit of bling. I see that another couple of members from Australia are also interested - I was wondering if you are willing to send international whether it might be easier for you to send to one of us for mailing to others domestically (a little more expensive for us but should be easier for you)

Looks very sharp... not sure it would match my 1100 color... but who knows... would be curious as to the final pricing...

Regards -

-Bob

Personally, Yellow would be the preferred color, and tied into the parking light circuit also.

That's a great idea... one on each side of the bike even... )))

Me thinks Boston is going nuts about now... )))

Regards -

-Bob

I would like one set as well.... I was assuming that they are on each side of the bike, yes?

I think it is awesome looking and will patiently wait for the best manufactured look. I think blue or even white LEDs would be the best.

Thanks in advance for doing this,

B-1

I think that our group response may have been overwhelming, or it may just be me, but BostonBagger hasn't responded in a while,....do you think he is still in the country?

MVT

Chuck U Farley

I making a kit to light the reflectors on the sides of system cases. Don't know if someone else is doing or done it but mine will be done via a photodiode activated bluetooth link so no harness hassles. Will post pics when finished. Right now it works on the bench.

What do you reckon Linz?

Will they work downunder? After all we are upside down and we use a different voltage!!

Maybe we will have to mount then upside down so the at the light travels the right way!!!:dopeslap:

BostonBagger

Sorry for the quite time, but I just got back from a week in the Carolina's riding in and around the Blue Ridge Parkway. No - I didn't make it up to either of the two rallies, but I did get in 2100 miles of amazing roads. The BLING worked like a champ in heavy rain. This was the trials run too for me.

While riding, I stopped off at the BMW dealership in Daytona on the way home. Here is what I have learned.

• The kit as I have it now, will NOT work with 2005 and beyond R 1200 RTs. The emblem is slightly larger and it looks as if they have possibly standardized on a 70 mm badge. I measured 69. I am looking into getting parts made for these.

• It WILL work on the R 1150 RTs.

• I'm ASSUMING that this will work just fine on the R1100 RT, but would like confirmation that the emblem is 60 mm or just a hair under 2 3/8". Would someone please send me a PM and confirm the size of the emblem on the R1100RT for me. I don't want to ASSUME.

Thank you for all your help.

Phil

I making a kit to light the reflectors on the sides of system cases. Don't know if someone else is doing or done it but mine will be done via a photodiode activated bluetooth link so no harness hassles. Will post pics when finished. Right now it works on the bench.

:lurk:

Bump to keep it current. This would be the perfect excuse to move my PIAA's underneath the fairing and finally have proper roundels, and ones that look cool, too! Interested!

I want one!! I want one!! Blue is the only color for me!!

I ride a 2000RT-P and could really care less what the po-po here think about the blue lights. I am all about anything I can do to make myself more visible to other cages.

I do know they can be rather militant about some things though. My buddy commented on my bike when I first bought it, said it was a nice looking cop-sickle. I thought that was funny so i went and ordered that plate for my bike. It read COPSKL, best I could spell cop-sickle with the 6 letters allowed here in MS. My plate arrived and I mounted it and away I went. About a month later I got a letter in the mail saying my plate had been deemed to be offensive and I had to return it to the DMV and obtain another plate. I was shocked as I had already had it on the bike for over a month and couldn't see what the problem with it was. Well not 10 days or so after receiving the letter they sent an officer in an unmarked car to my house to personally hand deliver me the letter again to ensure I received it. Ridiculous. As it turns out, it was a sargent with the local sheriff's office who took offense to my plate. Seems he felt that since I was not a police officer (I am an ER nurse and student), he didn't think I should have anything that said "cop" on my bike. Again, ridiculous. I took the plate back in to DMV and after some thought, decided to go with "CHPBMW", as my bike is a former CHP duty bike. I figured that being in MS they really couldn't say anything about the CHP moniker. It has been almost a year and no more nasty letters from the DMV! Works for me.

Hurry with pricing and order details for the blue roundels!!

...Would someone please send me a PM and confirm the size of the emblem on the R1100RT for me. I don't want to ASSUME.

Phil

Greetings Phil and co.:

The pasties on this n00b's 2000 R1100RT are 58.7 mm (2 and 5/16 inches) in diameter, with a mm of space limning said pasties within the depression provided for their placement.

Forget arpanet, national defense, bioinformatics, and all that. Obviously, that I should get hold of a pair of these fine lighted roundels is why the interwebs was invented. Thanks.

Eric

Lawrence, KS

Cool, I don't think the police will have a big issue with it, probably pull one over to see how they can get it on their CHP bikes. I want one (two)!

• 1 month later...

I like what you have done. The Z4 side marker lights have also inspired me. I am working on installing a set of clear Z4 side marker lights on the sides of my R100/7 fuel tank. Some involved metal work, but the effect will be very simular to what you have achieved. A custom, personalized beemer.

What are you asking for the kit?

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Archived