IGNORED

Bling for the RT (Backlit BMW Emblem / Roundel)

BostonBagger

First thing that came to mind was what are cops going to think with those blue lights on the front of your bike ???They do like nice,,,,

I like it! I like it a lot! I think any light I can be added for evening or early morning riding is better than none. As far as "blue" getting you a ticket... I'll take the chance. I also run amber running lights on the rear and have read that that would also be an issue. There aren't many things I have seen done to the RT's that look good without being over the top. I think what you have done with the roundel looks great. BMW may be jealous! I am very interested in how you accomplished this.

IMG_0500.JPG

Blue lights in Florida a no-no.

Looks great, but you're asking for intervention IMO.

BeemerLover

I suspect you used led's bu maybe not. If so Radio Shack sells one that changes color slowly. That might be really cool....

How did you make it?

I suspect the "blue lights" as a no-no is unlikely to be a problem. Yours are very subtle, and clearly a highlight, that no-one would ever confuse with official lights of any type.

I've seen a number of trucks (big rigs) with blue marker lights on them. I've had rear-facing blue running lights on my bike for 3 years now, been through several states (and Canada!) w/o any comments or issues.

YMMV. Let me say that again: YMMV.

PS: I think it's cool!

Too much for my taste, but that's just me. I took off the RT sticker (which I see you still have) -- too distracting.

BostonBagger
IMG_0500.JPG

The lighting is LED, but a special 4 element LED for extra brightness. It can be any color, but multi color requires many lights. What's hard it getting suitable bulbs that are not only bright, but waterproof and rugged for the application.

As for the light being blue, I chose blue because it goes well with the emblem and the bike. For the most part, I'll have it on when the bike is parked, which will keep it from getting hit as well, but I seriously doubt that I'm going to get pulled over. They are very subtle and not very bright from either front or back, but when I do have them on, and I do pass a cop, I'll turn them off. That's what the switch is for. I wanted to be able to keep them on when parked - if I so choose.

The other color that I may offer is amber, which is what they use for the side markers of the BMW Z4, which is where the idea came from.

If I made up kits, would anyone be interested.

Lastly, on the R1200RT, can anyone look in the front of their bike and see the recessed area where the emblem is and tell me if it's clear of the gas tank and/or frame.

Thanks

Phil

IMG_0500.JPG

The lighting is LED, but a special 4 element LED for extra brightness. It can be any color, but multi color requires many lights. What's hard it getting suitable bulbs that are not only bright, but waterproof and rugged for the application.

As for the light being blue, I chose blue because it goes well with the emblem and the bike. For the most part, I'll have it on when the bike is parked, which will keep it from getting hit as well, but I seriously doubt that I'm going to get pulled over. They are very subtle and not very bright from either front or back, but when I do have them on, and I do pass a cop, I'll turn them off. That's what the switch is for. I wanted to be able to keep them on when parked - if I so choose.

The other color that I may offer is amber, which is what they use for the side markers of the BMW Z4, which is where the idea came from.

If I made up kits, would anyone be interested.

Lastly, on the R1200RT, can anyone look in the front of their bike and see the recessed area where the emblem is and tell me if it's clear of the gas tank and/or frame.

Thanks

Phil

Yes the R1200RT emblems are recessed and there is a lot of room behind them..

Phil,

FL 316.241

Sale of lights, must be submitted for approval..

Use of a blue light.

316.2397 f.s.

Abstract: (2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights.

It is illegal in Florida.

Whether you get stopped or not might depend, but there isn’t a question as to the outcome if they want to cite you.

Best wishes.

moshe_levy

This whole "illegal" thing is crying wolf IMO. It's illegal the way jaywalking is illegal. The regs are so ancient that half the lights on a police car are illegal too. This is so subtle, clearly not "impersonating an emergency vehicle," and I doubt even the most ruthless cop would have trouble with it - and if he did, chances are you've got bigger problems anyway. I light my bike to be seen, and I don't give a damn about arcane regs when I do it. All my turn signals are amber running lights, I've got reflective markers, strobing LEDs - all technically illegal, but I've never had an issue, and I've been in most states of the union. As the earlier post said, YMMV, but I wouldn't sweat it. My dad has a Z4 - I knew I saw that idea somewhere before!

-MKL

I think it looks great and it looks like you did a fantastic job to make the addition as factory looking as possible. Very clever!

I've been thinking of doing that exact thing to the roundels on the system cases, and turn them into running lights.

BostonBagger
This whole "illegal" thing is crying wolf IMO. It's illegal the way jaywalking is illegal. The regs are so ancient that half the lights on a police car are illegal too. This is so subtle, clearly not "impersonating an emergency vehicle," and I doubt even the most ruthless cop would have trouble with it - and if he did, chances are you've got bigger problems anyway. I light my bike to be seen, and I don't give a damn about arcane regs when I do it. All my turn signals are amber running lights, I've got reflective markers, strobing LEDs - all technically illegal, but I've never had an issue, and I've been in most states of the union. As the earlier post said, YMMV, but I wouldn't sweat it. My dad has a Z4 - I knew I saw that idea somewhere before!

-MKL

Moshe,

I can't agree with you more. Safety is paramount in my book - especially here in South Florida where I worry about some who can barely see over the steering wheel. I probably have the same real light setup with the addition of bright amber LED running lights. I think they are some of the brightest LED's made - and when I apply the brakes, it's almost annoyingly bright. Everyone that rides behind me always comments - NO ONE IS GOING TO MISS SEEING YOU. I consider it investing in my own health so to speak. I CAN BE SEEN - DAY OR NIGHT.

And occasionally, at night, I've even tie-wrapped a compact, battery powered CATEYE Bicycle Safety LIght under the luggage rack, which has 5 powerful LEDs set to flash in random blinking pattern. It also draws ones attention to something up ahead. It too is possibly illegal. Police know why you're lit up. They've seen their fair share of rear-end collisions and they really understand. Do I worry about getting pulled over. No. Not at all.

As for the BLING using a blue light, it's not really meant to be a warning light. It's my own personal expression. Nothing more. No - they are not DOT or Florida State Highway approved lighting systems. They are however working just fine...

Cheers all,

Phil

I think that it is cool... (boy is that expression dating myself)

and would love to have one on my BLUE 2004 RT

BostonBagger

I am thinking about making up 10 kits. I'm pricing out the components out as we speak. I'll make up the kits as best I can, including soldered joints, but the final connection should be soldered as well. I can't do that one for you, but can provide a high grade shrink tubing.

At this moment, I have to assume that each of you that is interested can do this much. I'll keep you updated.

Phil

I too am interested. Like a couple others, I was thinkin' about doing something like this to the roundel, but hadn't taken a step towards figuring it out. So, good for you!

I'm interested as well, and I have a buddy with a blue RT that has been talking about light bling, so he may be "in" too. PM pricing if necessary. Looks like an acrylic disk with embedded LEDs sandwiched between the emblem/bike - cool!

Might also make them amber LEDs and connect to turn signals for low steady on (parking/running light) and bright strobe with turn signal combo. You can use one of these to create dual intensity.

This is way, way over the top for a motorcycle. It's the exact sort of thing that I like. :clap:

Too good! Great work!

Yeeha! Stephen

-MKL

Around here it would be Probable Cause to stop you. If you're not acting the Fool, you're not gonna be bothered.

So many bikes around here with Headlight "modulators" and Flashing/blinking/pulsing red LED brake lights that never get a second look unless they want you for something else.

moshe_levy
So many bikes around here with Headlight "modulators" and Flashing/blinking/pulsing red LED brake lights that never get a second look unless they want you for something else.

Not to veer too far off topic, but headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states for motorcycles - see my article here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnmodulators.pdf from June 2007 MCN. The federal law which trumps any state law on the subject is referenced therein if you're interested.

Back to this, like I said, there is a big difference between technically illegal and something that's actually going to get you in trouble. If Barney Fife decides to pull you over for this sort of BS, you might have a bigger problem than a tiny LED set anyway, either with yourself or with him. Bottom line on this legality argument is, some are more comfortable coloring just a hair outside the lines than others, that's all.

-MKL

Moshe,

Trying to be civil.

Blue light s are reserved for certain vehicles, for a reason.

If everyone decided to run them that would create a problem.

When you see a blue light in your rear view mirror you know it is an authorized vehicle.

We all rail about conspicuity and I agree.

But there are so many ways to do this and not jeopardize yourself or an authorized vehicle.

Where do you draw the line?

One blue light?

Two?

More?

Don't buy the statement that half the lights on LEO's are illegal.

When I see a blue light I know it is a signal for me to move over.

If even one other driver pulls over because you have a blue light displayed you are impersonating an emergency vehicle.

If they don't, it doesn't become a question of intent as the statute doesn't speak to intent.

It is illegal to display the light, period.

Phil and I have PM'd so don't think I'm slamming him.

Looks great and I did something like this myself when LED's came out and have helped w/several others.

Those were in amber and red and complied w/current laws.

I too carry the flashing bicycle LED for conspicuity when stopped in low light conditions and have used it in severe weather when moving.

If I were stopped, I wouldn't cry BS, I'd state my reason and accept the consequence.

Blue lights are different.

The laws treat them differently and so does the public.

Try to consider the response of the driving public.

Would it be a positive one?

Would they think that motorcyclists who aren't authority vehicles authorized to use blue lights were doing something good by running them?

IMO, I don't think so.

The lights look cool.

They are distinctive.

They would also improve side marking visibility.

But, not the color I would use nor would I endorse their use.

Best wishes.

BostonBagger

I can do white. I can do amber. I just think that someone on this thread has a control issue. Personally, I like blue. It's very subtle and classic looking. If someone wants amber or white, that is up to them at the time I get everything I need. This isn't a store, but I do want to try and do it right. Mine are perfectly made and what I'm trying to do is to make a kit that has the best electrical connections possible and the entire kit is built for the environment that they will love in.

I think we all know the laws and apparently the cop I drove past last night didn't think much of the blue light law. :-)

Phil

I'm interested. How much, and how do you recommend wiring it in? (I'm not a wrench, and I need things explained to me)

And I think blue's OK. As long as this doesn't look like a bright blue strobe on someone's rear view mirror, I don't see a problem.

Great White North

Blue would really complement my Sinus Blue R1100RT well !! Awesome, definitely want to be on the shipping list for this kit !!!!!

OK we sure like the blue , but can you post photos , instructions , step-by-step info on how to install them and the list of material we need???

OK we sure like the blue , but can you post photos , instructions , step-by-step info on how to install them and the list of material we need???

How about if he just posts the price of his kits?

BostonBagger

I'm ordering parts as I speak and getting quotes for fabricating the machined and polished backing material. Please be patient. I assure you, this won't be BMW factory pricing. I really didnt expect this kind of response and would rather take my time than take your money.

Archived