IGNORED

Question about Dates

David

mjames said: If we do the latter, my guess is that it will still be close between the sum of the two Fall dates and the Spring date.

Yeah, but if we add the sum of the two fall dates to the spring date, then we can say we have a unanimous decision!!! wink.giflaugh.gif

This just in. With just 36 votes in, ABC news projects that Fall will win in a landslide victory. Spring is expected to concede at any time. Summer was never in the running, and has already left for New Zealand. While leaving the polls, voters were heard to say that tornados, heat, and high humidity of Spring and Summer could not compare to the cool temps and changing colors of Fall. It is rumored that Spring is exploring other ventures in Upstate New York and Central Utah. More to come.

...yeah, but if we add the sum of

Maybe my post was confusing. What I meant to say was that the two fall dates (Sept and Oct) are so close together that they will canabilize each other's votes giving Spring the advantage, even though the majority of the voters could conceivable prefer the Fall (Sept or Oct) so as not to conflict with Americade and Mayhem. Eh?

OK Gents -

I'm back from the ol recon weekend in Eureka! I must say that while the entire weekend was cold, miserable, rainy, dingy, dark, and grey, that place STILL shined bright with its wonderful roads, great scenery, and fine, friendly people.

Cutting to the chase: the only reasonable place in or near Eureka Springs for the UnRally HQ/Gathering Spot is Iron Horse Stables. It is 6 miles East of downtown ES, and has better camping facilities than all the campsites, RV parks, and the KOA combined. It also has plenty of covered space in case of rain, flat paved parking for 300+ motorcycles (a rarity in Eureka Springs), an attached restaurant, and a motorcycle shop (more good stuff on this later). Besides, it is run by motorcycle-friendly laid-back folks who can't wait to have us as their guests.

Check out Ironhorsestables.com to learn more. What it lacks in asthetics, it makes up for it in substance!

It's time to decide on a date, approve the gathering spot, and inform the members. As the owner of Iron Horse is currently campaigning to retain his State Representative seat, I'd say we would be well advised to lay back until the end of this week to let things on their end settle before mentioning anything if you all agree with the spot.

The Dates:

The simple facts are this as I see them. If we pick the Spring, we will loose some from the East. If we pick the Fall, we will loose some from the West. Late Summer looks like the least favorite date, but the one that most likely can attend from a conflict standpoint. According to locals, we would be battling the bugs as well as the last gasp summer crowds in early Sept. The purpose of moving the UnRally from Gunnison was to bring in the East - but I'm not sure anyone envisioned it to be to the potential exclusion of anyone. I'm hearing rumbles from the California crowd (sensing an October win) that they just might find other things to do as AR is not enough of a draw to have them brave potential snow in the passes. I don't blame them one bit, but they've been publicly silent regarding the vote, and the masses have spoken for Oct.

What the heck - life is good, and we'll see what they're made of come game day.

Thoughts?

My thoughts would depend on who the grumbling is coming from in the west. We knew everybody wouldn't be happy, of course, so if we make everybody mad we'll be doing our job! Just kidding.

I don't think October is a good time to hold it, and I would say that September is a good compromise. The crowds and bugs? We'll adjust. If we are riding thousands of miles to get there, I think we are big enough to handle it. But July in AR? No freakin' way. I've been there and it's not pretty. The only thing that could get me there would be your pretty faces.

I voted for May. That's best for me. Let's go for September, though, because it makes the east and the west happy. Or happier. Yeah, I know, it won the fewest votes, but we were just looking for input. I guess we can see this as a republic instead of a democracy.

But if the west people are serious about "finding something else to do, because AR is not enough of a draw to brave the snow," I say tough beans. Nope, I'm not kidding. Yep, that's what I mean.

The draw is the people, not Arkansas. I don't like that attitude because it seems manipulative to me. I suspect it's a just a very small number of people in the west that feel that way. I've not heard it from anybody.

So personally I say May. For the group I say September.

I don't think we ought to agonize too much over this. Just pick a date and people will adapt. If they don't want to come, that's fine.

I've read both your and David's thoughts. Here are mine. David. somehow, I just don't think that we ask for 2 votes, then take the loser of the 3 dates on the 2nd vote, and it's the loser by a wide margin.

September lost, it's has Labor Day weekend impact, it has Finger Lakes rally conflict (which is a big thing over here). I just don't see how September is the logical choice.

If we go with May, we are likely to get a better cross section of the country, but we are definitely going to split the East. People just aren't going to be able to get off work to do 2 events. Most are going to have to choose one or the other. Many of the Mayhem folks are planning on piggybacking with Americade.

The winner of the vote was October, but not by much. October has no other event or holiday conflicts. The issue is weather for the west coast.

From my point of view it's a crap shoot between Splitting the East and weather issues for the West. We loose some either way and there is no real good way to tell which is worse.

There is one other point, and I think this is worth some consideration. It is mainly the group from the mountain and west that apparently attended Gunnison (my subjective observation). It seems a shame to potentially lose this crowd - you UN1 folks can better tell about this perhaps.

But, having said all that. October won the vote. And since in my mind I can make a case either way May or October, I'd recommend going with the vote.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, my personal preference is October also. I cannot make September, and should not do 2 things in May (although I very likely would). Again, this is not to be considered anything other than a disclosure statement.

Honestly,

From some of the posts I had read over the past year, All I seem to remember is how much more the West coast guys like to ride far distances in any weather as opposed to us east coast guys. That being said...

Now I know there are the extremes for either coast in riders, but for the most part, I think we all do our share of riding...weather permitting (meaning...Ice and Snow),

I've said it before, we cannot control the weather, but unless it is going to be a majority rules for voting, then other things must be considered.

David said it right...pick a date and guys will adapt (Build it and they will come).

Jake...either go by majority, or make an educated pick on what you feel may draw the most people.

Everyone cannot be pleased, but I would mention in the final decision (Only if you choose other than the winner), that the date you chose was based on the best for the most, IN YOUR OPINION, as coordinator viewing all the facts.

And paramount to this, I would make sure you state that the vote was just a sounding ground to get feedback ONLY, and that it was appreciated. If you don't,... then members are just going to start thinking that these polls and votes aren't worth anything, if they aren't going to be upheld.

Some already complained of the second round of voting...I don't think we want to feed this train of thought with them. Living in a democracy makes people defensive at times when it looks like you may be playing around with their vote.

For me...whatever date you choose I will try to adapt to if I can, and If I can't then I will be the loser at the time, but not for lack of trying. I want to attend if at all possible, as I am sure everyone does.

So pick your date, make your apologies to the losers and let's move forward. JMHO

Personally, any date would work for me. Chances are slim that I'll have enough time off from a new job to ride in, so flying in makes the weather a non-issue for me. But for the west, I wouldn't worry. There were issues for easterners regarding Un1, and some of them overcame the issues (distance, heat, wind) while others decided to stay home. When you start playing to the least common denominator you lose control. Make a reasoned decision, take into account the credibility issues related to two separate votes and results that are already known to all, and make it happen. They will come or they will not. Catering to one group (particularly since they had the last Un on their side of the U.S.) does the community no good.

P.S. If Kathy can detour through New Mexico to get to Torrey when she found the Colorado passes closed off, what are these guys complaining about?

P.S. If Kathy can detour through New Mexico to get to Torrey when she found the Colorado passes closed off, what are these guys complaining about? color=blue>

Ohhh baby, and don't you know she's ready to unleash that little factoid! OK, October wins cuz October won.

What do you guys think about Iron Horse? OK by you?

Wow, you go to sleep for a few measly hours and look what happens...you miss out on some input. Oh well, since it seems the decision has already been made, I'll support October! wink.giflaugh.gif I can't say I have any sympathy for the Westerners who grumble since that just aint kosher w/ me. We voted twice because we didn't highlight some key info the first time. With all the cards on the table, October won. If May had won, I probably wouldn't have been able to go, but you wouldn't hear me grumbling (out loud), no sirree. Let's Ride!

As far as the Iron Horse goes...it seems perfect to me. Rider friendly, good camping and accomodations. What's not to like? Am I missing something?

I say we go with October, mainly because of the voting results. Snow would mostly effect those in the Northwest part of the country. Riders from southern California (and even the San Francisco area) can stay south and avoid most chances of snow. As was said, we asked for their vote twice, and to totally disregard it may look pretty lame. If there is any compromise, it might be to move it one week earlier, which would be the first week of October instead of the second. Might be a little less chance of snow. Otherwise, let's go with the vote.

Jake: I think you did the right thing in going with the vote. We don't want to promote the idea that a vote is formality and that an "elite" group will decide. smile.gif I also think that the Iron Horse and neighboring hotels/motels will fit the needs of our group. Jake, you didn't tell everyone that the Iron Horse is in between two very motorcycle friendly roads Rt. 21 and Rt. 23. Can you say Yeeha, boys and girls. wink.gif

Archived