IGNORED

EAR PLUGS & RIDING

SC_SVRider

I may be stating the obvious here, but hearing loss due to high dB levels are rated by the dB level vs. time. The higher the level, the shorter the allowed exposure time. The question that was asked earlier was pertaining to a 20-30 min ride. If the dB level is high enough then yes you will have damage even over that short period. If people are interested I will try to take dB level readings on the bike, I don't know how to do that at this time but it would be interesting to try.

Keith

BTW, I am a safety officer at work and hearing loss is a hot topic. I'm not an expert, just have some knowledge and experience.

Having played in bands and ridden for years I can attest to the importance of ear plug use. I use the flesh colored foam EAR brand. They're available at Wal-Mart or in bulk at safety supply stores. I save them after using them (the ones I don't lose) and believe it or not wash and dry them in my wife's mesh laundry bag she has for her delicates. They come out squeaky clean and ready for another use. I keep a handful in a snack size zip lock baggie in the ole RT for me and co-riders.

I am finding this thread frustrating. I tried a couple of different off-the-shelf disposable ear plugs, but am still looking for something better. Following this thread I have been on the verge of entering my credit card three times. But I read a little further and decide something is better. So what is "best"? Custom molded, foam, silcone, beeswax? Do I have to try them all for myself? Probably.

I am finding this thread frustrating. I tried a couple of different off-the-shelf disposable ear plugs, but am still looking for something better. Following this thread I have been on the verge of entering my credit card three times. But I read a little further and decide something is better. So what is "best"? Custom molded, foam, silcone, beeswax? Do I have to try them all for myself? Probably.

I will try to answer your question by giving you my experience with earplugs in an industrial environment over the years. We had a guy come in and do the fitting on employees for custom earplugs. They inject a mixture into the ear and wait for it to set then they use it as a mold. One thing I can tell you is the amazing difference in what the plugs looked like. Some were like a winding cave, others were large and thick, some small and thin.... everything you can imagine. The point is that there is a HUGE difference in the shape of people's "ear canal" (if that is the proper term). I personally have tried almost every plug including molded on the market over the years and only found one that works perfectly for me. End result is that nobody can tell you what will be perfect for you, it is impossible. As you can see in this thread everybody seems to have a favorite type and they probably discovered it by pure chance or educated guess. You may have noticed that I didn't tell you what my fav is...figured it would just add to your frustration. My suggestion is to learn what you did like about the ones you have tried i.e. soft, firm, tapered, straight and narrow the candidates down and hopefully you will hit one that works in short time. There is some technical Blah Blah Blah stuff I could tell you but I don't want to bore people in this thread.

One last point, if I remember correctly a person stated that the dB level was 110 dB on a bike. If that is so then you folks had better take this REALLY seriously. 110 dB is way up there, I don't have the chart here at home but my guess is that the accepted exposure time would be measured in minutes in an industrial environment!!!

Keith

….was going to use the nick of “ Snorten-Norton” when I signed up…..wish I had LOL!

at the end of a long day... my hands are dirty and then i roll up that ear plug in my dirty hands before inserting it...

Some time ago I had an idea for a small, nifty, cheap gadget, a small plastic squeezer that could compress the earplug and assist in inserting it into the ear canal. Unfortunately I never got around to the actual design or prototyping stage. Maybe one day.

Regarding soft earplugs, I've tried many different types. The best ones for me are the Super Hearos. http://www.hearos.com/

I had an idea for a small, nifty, cheap gadget, a small plastic squeezer

I've had the same thought. The PlugNGo pushes a rubber plug through a very small tube. Ear plugs are even more compressible. So it should be easy to design an injector. The problem with rolling them is that they start to expand before you can put them in. Anybody know of one of the compressible foam models with a slower time constant before they expand?

ClearwaterBMW

the idea of rolling them is to heat them in your fingers as well... that helps compress them. if you find others that expand more slowly after being inserted... they will probably DISLODGE themselves from their optimum placement before they finally expand.... maybe rendering them MORE difficult to remove everytime you stop. practice more with the ones that REexpand quickly... they will work the best for you in the long run

when you roll them they should ELONGATE as well... make sure you put the rounded side in first

get "familiar" with the shape of YOUR ear canal

everyone's is different. bring them inside tonight and spend 1/2 hour or so putting them in and out... i bet you'll be happy you got the more quickly expandintg ones in the long run

IMHO

greg

Green RT

.......I tried a couple of different off-the-shelf disposable ear plugs, but am still looking for something better. .........So what is "best"? Custom molded, foam, silcone, beeswax? ....

I'd suggest moving away from purely disposable and see what is in sporting stores and gun shops. I found those plugs easier to get in and out, usually came with a small case or cover, and the cost is low enough to approach disposable. I have a respectable stack of earplugs I've tried - most from earlier needs. There's a lot of variation in fit and function. Whatever I bought, it had to have an easy way to get it in and out (usually a small soft tab), some way to carry it besides loose in a pocket, and be washable/rinseable (unless it had something electronic or mechanical, like an sharp noise suppression feature) While riding, I currently use a GI issue set of plugs that cost under $2.00 (with case and small chain). The case also functions as an insert tool to ensure a good fit. I have two sets, one in my jacket and one in the tankbag, so I'm never missing it. I've got a Remington set almost duplicates that, but I leave it in a box with some safety goggles for the shop. I have a reusable set that is made of a wax like substance with a soft plastic wrap, but I didn't want to leave it in a hot tank or saddlebag - didn't think it'd fit as tight while hot. I plan to use it when the temperatures drop to the 70's.

I used disposable wax type plugs a while back, and I've still got some disposable foam plugs. I prefer now the permanent plastic - I can put them in just as fast, they stay with my gear all the time, and they're at least as clean as that foam plug being rolled up for the fourth time. Good luck on your search.

ClearwaterBMW

that advice is fine

but don't buy plugs that seem to fit BETTER in your ears because they are less tight. Less attentuation is WORTHLESS in the ear plug arena.... you want to preserve your hearing (and i know you do), then get the tightest-fitting/softest plugs to which YOU CAN LEARN TO ADAPT...

you'll thank yourself 1,000,000 times later

greg

I'd suggest moving away from purely disposable and see what is in sporting stores and gun shops. I found those plugs easier to get in and out, usually came with a small case or cover, and the cost is low enough to approach disposable.

FWIW, Aerostich has a kit of these as well.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16501&cat=0&page=1

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16502&cat=0&page=1

There are all sorts in there. And once you find the ones you like go to "lab safety supply" and order a big box. smile.gif

An added note about disposable expanding earplugs.....Most people fail to relize you are supposed to hold the plug (gently, with your finger) in your ear until it expands otherwise it will likely 'pop out a bit' and not get a tigh fit. (it was in thje directions on the box, but hey guys don't read directions) thumbsup.gif

Try this: Go to your local hearing aid shop and get some impressions made for cheap ($10 for mine). That silicone is not really made for long-term usage, but they will fit exact. Trim off the excess stuff from the outside so they fit under your helmet. Go for a ride. If you like them send them off to Ear Inc or Arizona Al and have permanent plugs or earplugs made.

I only use foamies when I forget my custom plugs!

Later,

jan

Jerry_75_Guy

"I am finding this thread frustrating."

I Really hesitate to add my voice to the din, but I Really think custom plugs are the answer for you.

I used foam plugs for quite a while, since that is what I used at work for a long time; beside they were the cheapest, err, I mean 'Most parsimonious'

solution.

In the end, I (and you) end up much better off spending the $$ and getting a good set of customs, and riding happily with the knowledge that you have the best possible option: any hearing loss, even a little, is, for the most part, permanent. Try putting a price on that.

I have had very good success with EAR Ultrafit reusables (NRR25). They are very long lasting and easy to clean. I did not have much success with foam plugs; maybe I just hadn't mastered the technique.

Regarding the soft foam ones, after rolling them between your fingers until they are thin enough to insert in the ear canal, twist them slowly as they go in, seems to help. And, as recommended, keep your finger on them until they've expanded.

Alan

Archived