IGNORED

EAR PLUGS & RIDING

SC_SVRider

To elaborate on another post...

Here is a good article on why ear plugs and riding do mix. grin.gif

I recently lost one of my molded ear plugs. I have noticed a huge difference between the protection the molded ear plugs have given me in the past and the "off the shelf" type of ear plugs. Although I am still getting some protection from the "off the shelf" brand, I am definitely planning on investing in another set of molded plugs. thumbsup.gif

There is worse than deaf - possibly.

Its called tinnitus and I have a mild affliction due to riding. Its not much fun and means I avoid crowds of people, for instance busy restaurants.

Wear ear plugs. smile.gif

Jerry_75_Guy
Thanks guys, I have learned something today. So the headphones that go in your ear, do they help with this?

Yes. I can't claim direct knowledge, but from speaking with tech reps at a couple of companies, you can expect approx. a 30db ambient noise reduction level with custom plugs, and about 20db reduction with the custom molded transducers.

Just don't throw away the benefit by turning your volume up a lot! tongue.gif

Just loud enough to clearly hear the music and lyrics seems like the safest compromise for me.

OK. So what are the other/additional solutions we should pursue? Are there quieter bikes? Quieter helmets? I'm riding an R1100RS and I'm starting to think that I need to get an RT or maybe I need an LT for my commuter bike??? A gold wing? I am thinking of getting a sport bike for weekend fun but maybe not if it will make me deaf. I have a shoei full face helmet that should be as quiet as any but I'm starting to feel annoyed by the wind noise. In the year I've been riding my tinnitus has gotten quite a bit worse--maybe a coincidence at 48 but maybe not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

I've been wearing the earplugs for quite some time and now I will hardly go around the block without them. The RT sounds much better with the plugs in.

wear earplugs or be deaf

maybe not today.... but, if you ride enough....

soon

I don't know about deaf but I would agree... wear earplugs or suffer eventual hearing loss. Just about any bike/helmet combination will expose you to injurious noise levels if subjected to them for long periods of time. These levels may not be painful in the short term but will cause damage eventually. And if the noise level is loud enough to be uncomfortable then you are way above where you should be.

Wear earplugs with at least a 20 dB NRR and wear them just as religiously as a helmet.

There is worse than deaf - possibly.

Its called tinnitus and I have a mild affliction due to riding. Its not much fun and means I avoid crowds of people, for instance busy restaurants.

Wear ear plugs. smile.gif

Unfortunately, I have both tinnitus, and a significant high frequency hearing loss from driving at high speeds with the windows down, and from occasionally shooting without proper ear protection. It makes it really difficult to hold a conversation if there is any other noise present.

I have been using E A R soft blasts with a 33db noise reduction, but they don't always go in my ear just right, and I will get some wind noise anyway. I'd like to get some molded ones. I can guarantee you that if you don't use some type of effective hearing protection, you will pay for it later.

ClearwaterBMW

i have both an LT and a GS....

with the LT i have more wind protection, of course. at 5'6" i sit "below the bubble" on almost any bike.

some helmets will fit you better than others, and give less wind noise.

but,

1. everyone's head is a different shape

2. everyone's ear canal has a different shape

the notion that your should feel "naked" without hearing protection is a very accurate one. i usually use the disposable ear plugs of about 30db attenuation.

now..... that number on a generic pair means little because the attenuation number will depend up that particular object's ability to mold itself inside YOUR ear canal. you must also become proficient in inserting them far enough to work but still be able to get them out with your fingernails

i want to have some custom ones made as well/not sure when/how i'll do that

i would like to have ones with speakers as well

http://www.earplugco.com/ordering.htm

that guy is on this board

i hope to meet him soon

our mount dora ride will take us close to his office

see the CHALLENGER C units

http://www.earplugco.com/prod01.htm

they have built-in speakers

would love to try those out

not sure how they would treat my hearing

you just can't turn them way up loud to counteract any wind noise

i have ridden on an LT and RT forever so the GS wind noise is a new thing to me

with or without hearing protection i would rather take a long vacation on my LT if i can't get a good seal in my ear

i am a pediatrician and would be on disability if my hearing diminishes, if you know what i mean

sorry for the long post....

wear hearing protection please

nothing sadder than having your grandkids tell you that they love you..... and you can't hear it

greg

Steve_Witmer
I am definitely planning on investing in another set of molded plugs. thumbsup.gif

I use the disposables and like them. I also lose them so frequently that custom molded plugs would cost me about $1,000 a year. dopeslap.gif

I tried custom molded plugs fitted by an audiologist. They worked but were never comfortable, so when I lost them I started using the bright orange cone-shaped ones from Leicht, available at most drug stores. I find them very effective and comfortable, much moreso than the cylinder-shaped ones that are also common. I can wear a pair of the Leichts two or three times before I throw them way. The expense is quite low considering the benefit.

You can also order the disposable plugs in bulk quantities from lab or safety supply places. The cost per pair is very low this way, about 75% less per pair than individual packs at the store for the exact same product.

I began wearing disposables last year and I find they make a tremendous difference. In fact, I even wear them in my truck when I roll down the windows. I am beginning to appreciate a quite surrounding. For those who are not sure about ear plugs let me say that they do not block out all sound. I can hear the radio if it is on. The plugs seem to take the edge off the harsher noises and the soft disposables are comfortable (at least for me). I suppose custom plugs are better, but if you are unsure about this stuff at least try the disposables for a while and see if they don't improve your motorcycle experience.

ClearwaterBMW

another thing

you hearing will become more acute when you remove them at your destination

and everyone i know (me included) will tell you that you arrive at that destination far more relaxed, alert, and at peace when you've been using the plugs....

makes riding not on better for your ears..... but safer as well

greg

For about five years now I've been using custom Musicians Earplugs which I got from my audiologist. These are designed for folks playing in rock bands and, in simple terms, are designed to let softer sounds through without distortion while blocking loud noise. The attenuation is about 25 dB compared with about 30-35 dB for custom silicone earplugs. The advantage is that without removing the plugs I can carry on a normal conversation, hear what's going on around me and hear music on the bike's speakers. Another big plus is that my ears don't feel like they're under water like they do when I wear regular earplugs. At about $100 they cost a bit more than custom silicone earplugs, but they're worth it to me.

Brian

P.S. As an aside, I must have wierd ear canals because I have never had much sucess with disposable ear plugs. They are either uncomfortable or are not sealing well enough to offer much protection.

I recently lost one of my molded ear plugs. I have noticed a huge difference between the protection the molded ear plugs have given me in the past and the "off the shelf" type of ear plugs. Although I am still getting some protection from the "off the shelf" brand, I am definitely planning on investing in another set of molded plugs.

Weird. If I insert the foamies (MAXlites purchased from lab-safety-supply) right, roll them up small and get them well into my ear they work GREAT, better than the custom jobbers.

Where the custom ones come in is that they fit the same way each time. And are quick to get in/out. Nice for shorter trips, talking to an officer, or at a gun range. I'm torn which is best, good thing I've got both! smile.gif

And FWIW, most people I see wearing foam earplugs don't have them in anywhere NEAR enough. Almost looks like the earplug is just sitting there, not even in the ear canal. Like that they do very little.

Custom plugs have some advantages are they can be more comfortable for some and can be washed and reused, etc., but they usually aren't all that superior (if even as good) as foam plugs strictly in terms of noise attenuation. Foam plugs are very effective if inserted properly but as Steve noted they often aren't used that way. They must be well into the ear canal to work properly. Because of this custom plugs can be easier to use because they usually don't have to be inserted as far, but in exchange for this custom plugs will likely have a little less attenuation than foam plus, not more. Anyway, if used properly both types are quite adequate.

Weird. If I insert the foamies (MAXlites purchased from lab-safety-supply) right, roll them up small and get them well into my ear they work GREAT, better than the custom jobbers.

My experience too.

My experience too.

I agree here as well. The only problem is that I now carry a pair of tweezers with me all the time in my tankbag since I've had more than one occasion when I couldn't get the darn things out of my ears without them! dopeslap.gif

I use a molded ear plugs from Arizona Al when I need wired ear plugs. If all I want to do is exclude noise while riding I use Silicone ear Plugs which mold themselves to your ear. When you remove them they look just like a molded plug - only they are still soft The only place I have found these is at Longs Drug Store packaged with something called an ear wax removal kit. Costs about 6 bucks. If you don't want wired earplugs, suggest you get these. Comfortable, block out sound as well as the molded ones, and cheap.

I rode for many, many years without earplugs. Between that and the hundreds of rock concerts I've been to, I know my hearing, while still good, is not as good as it used to be. Started wearing disposable earplugs in 2003. First the cheap yellow foam ones, then I discovered the Howard Leight Max, which are incredibly comfortable and effective - what a bargain. Now I will not ride on the street without ear protection.

celebrationrev

I had never worn earplugs until reading this thread. Must admit it scared me some so I bought a 59-cent pair of foam to see what difference it would make. I still get what I'll call the dull roar of the wind (full-face with visor down) but not the whistling I hear w/o the plugs. So I'm thinking it's time I got in the habit. I must have small ear canals because even when I push them in forcefully, putting on the helmet disrupts them, loosens them.

What about those soft plastic flanged plugs I see in Home Depot, et al? They look like they'd stick out too far and cause a problem getting the helmet on/off.

I'm also sure someone here has come up with a clever way to store their plugs. An old Rx bottle is too big and the little paper package these plugs came in won't last long. Some trick way to keep them handy, quickly accessed and less likely to get lost?

Don't "push them in forcefully", you need to roll them between your fingers, compressing the diameter. Gently insert them into your ear, where they then expand.

I must have small ear canals because even when I push them in forcefully, putting on the helmet disrupts them, loosens them.

Trying to push them in forcefully will usually not work very well regardless of ear canal size. The proper way to insert foam plugs is to roll them between your fingers to squish them down into a narrow tube so that they will fit in your ear easily, and then let them expand to fit. One thing that really helps most people is to reach over your head with your opposite hand and tug upwards on the top of your ear. This will straighten your ear canal and usually make insertion very easy. It looks kind of funny but works like a charm. Using this method you should be able to get the plug well into your ear canal with very little effort. The noise reduction when you insert them this way is quite remarkable and the plugs should be far enough into your ear so that there is no interference with a helmet.

I find the best way to insert the Ear plugs is to roll them between your fingers to reduce the diameter. With your other hand, reach over your head and pull your ear from the top, a bit up and a bit to the rear. This opens your ear canal a bit straighter for easier insertion. The rolled up plug should easily fit into your ear canal this way. Also hold it in a bit while it expands in your ear for a good tight fit.

I personally found those red colored cones uncomfortable because they were too big. I use a pair of green ones or small yellow ones. Both of these, by the way, come with a cord that connects the two and can drape around your neck when not the plugs are not in your ear. The cord also helps you remove deeply inserted plugs easily.

eek.gif

The proper way to insert foam plugs is to roll them between your fingers to squish them down into a narrow tube so that they will fit in your ear easily,

And they should be THIN! smile.gif I see many who roll them the diameter of a pencil, they should be more like pencil lead. Then let them expand.

Aerostich sells a assortment of disposable plugs. I'd suggest it, find some you like. I find the MAXlites (green) to work well. $20 got a huge box of em from Lab Safety Supply.

I use them 95% of the time also, making my noisy Schuberth tolerable.

Try them next time you fly commercial airlines. Not only will they "tame" the little screaming monster four rows away, but you will arrive much more relaxed and free of fatigue.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I had never worn earplugs until reading this thread. Must admit it scared me some so I bought a 59-cent pair of foam to see what difference it would make. I still get what I'll call the dull roar of the wind (full-face with visor down) but not the whistling I hear w/o the plugs. So I'm thinking it's time I got in the habit. I must have small ear canals because even when I push them in forcefully, putting on the helmet disrupts them, loosens them.

What about those soft plastic flanged plugs I see in Home Depot, et al? They look like they'd stick out too far and cause a problem getting the helmet on/off.

I'm also sure someone here has come up with a clever way to store their plugs. An old Rx bottle is too big and the little paper package these plugs came in won't last long. Some trick way to keep them handy, quickly accessed and less likely to get lost?

My earplug of choice is 54725T32 from www.mcmaster.com (type the number in their search window). Bought in quantity (box of 200), they ends up being 15 cents a pair, I use a new pair every day when I'm on tour. Each pair is individually wrapped: open a packet in the morning, keep in my jacket pocket while stopped during the day, discard in the evening; don't want to use them for more than a day or two, as they will collect dirt and bacteria.

The box sits in my garage, and I also use them when cutting the grass or using noisy power tools.

Try them next time you fly commercial airlines. Not only will they "tame" the little screaming monster four rows away, but you will arrive much more relaxed and free of fatigue.

They can be addictive. I even used them once in a noisy restaurant... there was a game on the TV, lot's of people shouting at each other, etc. What an incredible din... I could have sworn my bike on the freeway was quieter. Anyway, had some foamies in my pocket... presto, pleasant meal.

ClearwaterBMW

i'm very thankful for this forum and this thread. if this info convinces just one of you to use ear plugs who already don't.... then it will make my day

i hope to meet each and every one of you one day and have a nice face-to-face conversation....

let's all promise to have our hearing when that time comes

greg

Also very useful at noisy camp grounds and rallies.Some how I alwas seem to camp near the beer tent. And to state the obvious to properly insert suckle as any mother's milk fed child will remember and then insert into the canal of your ear, then press and hold if you must until the foam has expanded. This last part is important as only a tight fit gives the protection you need.

suckle as any mother's milk fed child will remember

Uhh... I don't actually remember that... and rather glad of it I might add.

ShovelStrokeEd

Keep the ear plugs the heck out of your mouth. You have germs in there that you don't want in your outer ear. Ask your dentist. And no, a dog's mouth is not cleaner than yours unless you make a habit of chewing on 4 day dead possums.

Keep the ear plugs the heck out of your mouth. You have germs in there that you don't want in your outer ear. Ask your dentist. And no, a dog's mouth is not cleaner than yours unless you make a habit of chewing on 4 day dead possums.

You cannot imagine how sad I am to read this. You are no doubt right, but spit is THE secret to getting the Leight plugs inserted properly. What if I spray them with silicon? wink.gif Is it OK if I brush my teeth first...and floss?

Why is this the first I've heard about ear plugs? It makes total sense though. Those of you who teach the MSF courses should add this important tidbit to you classes.

Once again, this site has proved invaluble.

Thanks gang! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

There are a number of lubricants on the market. I just pick up a bottle of Sweet Oil, available in any southern drug store. Actually its sterilized olive oil so you can do it your own self.

Heat to 160 deg F and maintain for 10 minutes. I use an old ear drop bottle, the kind without the dropper in it, you have to squeeze. One small drop is all you need.

Why is this the first I've heard about ear plugs?

I know riders who refuse to wear earplugs, but I hardly ever encounter anyone who hasn't heard about how important they are. It's probably an age thing. By most estimates, the average age of BMW riders is now over 50 (are you?), and a lot are into their sixties, in other words, old enough to have faced the reality of hearing loss caused by years and years of incautious use of chain saws, firearms, open car windows, motorcycles, rock concerts, political rallies, jackhammers, loud arguments with spouses, and .... I've done all of the above and am lucky that I notice relatively little change, so far. My wife and I do the "eh? eh?" thing a lot, and multi-layer conversations, especially in loud public places, drive me nuts. To protect what's left, my ear plugs go in before I even start the engine on either of my two cycles. Don't leave home without them!

For those of you that are queasy about having to place the ear plug in your mouth and then in your ear, or stick in your ear as they say, you could clean your ears periodically with any number of cleaners found at the corner druggist including hydrogen peroxide. The reason for sucking on the nipple shaped plug is to stretch it to reduce the diameter of the plug so that it will fit in the ear canal. Then the reason for holding it there is to give it time to expand. Any lubricant on these soft plugs won't work nearly as well. Also the reason you use the soft plugs is because they give the greatest protection, some 33db's.

There are two completely separate components to excessive M/C helmet noise, and they can be treated two different ways.

Earplugs are the only solution if the helmet forehead is being buffeted by turbulence such as the blow-off from the top of the windshield - such as on my R1100RT. Placing your free hand on the helmet forehead at speed will tell if this is your case. The helmet shell is vibrating like a low frequency bell creating an incredibly loud narrow band random drumming that feels and sounds like it is originating at the center of your head. The helmet walls next to your ears are vibrating in and out together (i. e. in phase) at a comparatively low frequency. Again, earplugs are your only fix in this case. Helmet structures are not going to handle this sort of shell vibration.

However, if you are riding without a windsheld and the helmet forehead is running in smooth air (like on my bare R90/6), a neck gaiter can be very effective. In this situation the roaring noise has a broader high frequency content, which is due to interference wind drag and turbulence induced between your shoulders and the base of the helmet. Shugging your shoulders at speed will change the noise signature if this is the case. The neck gaiter can be used to fill this void - summer or winter. I have found however that some open knitted neck gaiters are not very effective, where others made of more dense fuzzy stuff work extremely well. What the difference is I can't explain.

My quietest riding combination with a Shoei helmet is with the gaiter technique and no fairing rather than most earplugs. My experience is that the difference between helmet brands is very minor.

I agree it is very important to control noise to preserve your hearing for the grandkids.

ClearwaterBMW

i'm glad we have continued this thread. the funny is that many folks here weren't completely aware of the scope of the hearing loss issue..... and we are on a BMW site. The point being, bmw folks are often more cognizant of their health than some other riders. we all need to watch our hearing better. like others have mentioned a 4 hour trip in a car with the windows rolled down.... will do IRreversible damage to your hearing.

you ever see a person in a convertible with ear plugs/i certainly haven't. maybe that ride down the beach at 30mph won't do you any harm.... but the 2 hour trip on the interstate surely will

greg

I've been wearing earplugs religiously for the last 2 years now and I would not ride on the street without them. It's all about reducing that constant and booming wind noise at speed for me. And much less tiring to ride now, a nice bonus. I am grateful to my neighbor and riding buddy for suggesting I try them.

I have also started wearing ear plugs when cutting the grass. That riding mower is loud! I usually don't wear plugs when riding my dirt bike - it is quiet for a dirt bike (my lawn mower is louder) and I don't ever go fast enough for wind noise to be a factor.

While I do wear ear plugs, I have to admit that I tend to skip them if I am out for a brief ride or errand. If the ride is under 20-30 minutes I usually do not use the plugs. Is this okay or I am I placing my hearing at risk on even these shorter trips?

I think it is prudent to always wear earplugs on the street. Now, if you have a very quiet bike and you are on a short ride and running really slow (like under 30 mph), you can probably skip the plugs. But how often do you ride like that?

I agree with the importance of this. I tried the sample packs from aerostitch (riderswarehouse.com ?) of the soft and the hard ones. I had used the soft before, and liked the comfort. My secret to putting them in is to take a toothpick and roll it between your fingers like it's a drill bit, and "drill" it into the plug from the outside edge as far as you can. Now roll the plug into a narrow roll around it and insert. When it's in place, remove the toothpick. Once you do it a few times, it's easy - far easier to get good placement than the original way.

Anyway, after trying the sample packs, I found several brands of hard plugs with 32+ DB ratings that are easy to use and quite comfortable. Try these packs and see what you think - they're well worth it as a test.

ClearwaterBMW

toby.....

sounds ok, but i hope you don't do that around others... if someone were to push into you as you inserted that plug with the toothpick in it... the results could be disasterous to tell you the truth. toothpicks and ear canals don't mix. so, sounds good, but just don't do that in some daytona bike week-sized crowd please

greg

Weel, of course you need to be careful. Try it and you'll see - the toothpick itself actually doesn't need to go in your ear - it just acts as a guide. Anyway, I use the hard ones now anyway - far easier -

see

here

or Here

ClearwaterBMW

i'm going to give it a try.....

one thing that drives me crazy...

at the end of a long day... my hands are dirty and then i roll up that ear plug in my dirty hands before inserting it...

because i don't remember to bring my hand gel... who knows what germs i'm putting in my ear canal

greg

you ever see a person in a convertible with ear plugs/i certainly haven't. maybe that ride down the beach at 30mph won't do you any harm.... but the 2 hour trip on the interstate surely will

Well, I haven't driven 2 hours on the highway, but my SC430 is pretty quiet on the highway with the top down; certainly quieter than my KRS with X-11 and earplugs. The reason is the built-in wind-blocker; works great. Without it, yes, the noise is unbearable, but most modern convertibles are being designed with one, even if optional (and a pain to install). And the car is very quiet (and safe) with the top up; best of both worlds IMHO. Good day.

ClearwaterBMW

i'm glad for that. i guess i was referring to the convertibles of old. even new less expensive cars with their tops down do little to protect the occupants from noise pollution.... or certain injury in the event of a rollover.

greg

Archived