IGNORED

Spring Northeast Tech Daze - Saturday May 2nd, 2009

SAMSAR

Hi Everyone

Mark your calendars... The Spring Northeast Tech Daze Event will be Saturday May 2nd, 2009.

With the UNrally in August, it will be a good time to ensure your bikes are in peak shape. We don't have any plans yet for a first responder class this spring but people are welcome to spend the night before and after as usual.

This year, I'm using the Evenbrite registration site to track everything. This is the same site we are using for the UNrally. You can register here...

The usual offers apply...

- Event formally starts at 7:30am and goes until the last person says goodbye the following night.

- Address is 47 Talcott Range East Granby, CT 06026

- Phone Number is 860-844-8895

- Donation suggested is generally $20.

- Breakfast Lunch Dinner and Drinks provided

- S.O.'s are very much welcome to join in.

- Anyone is welcome to stay at the house Friday and/or Saturday nights.

- Guest room available for the first couple that reserves it.

- Plenty of sleeping bag space in the house

Yes... Several options for staying with us or in the area:

1. Tons of level tenting space in the yard.

2. Standard airport strip hotels about 9 miles east of the house:

Doubletree Hotel

Homewood Suites

Days Inn

3. Plus some much nicer places to stay about 10 miles southwest of the house... Real New England stuff.

Dutch Iris Inn

Simsbury Inn

Simsbury 1820 House

The Linden House

Merrywood Inn

- By now, we've developed a good local group of Guru's so Newbies are encouraged to attend and watch, or even better, dig into projects on their own comfortable that someone is there to help.

- Three bay garage plus 3 or 4 party tents in the driveway in case of inclement weather.

- Pretty much any tool you could possibly need including a bike lift, a Splinal Tap Tool.

- You are welcome to have parts and fluids delivered directly to the house and I will hold onto them for you. I will also be able to recycle all the old stuff as well.

- We have a tire changing station and balancer if interested.

- Generally we do a free-for-all format and I've seen a couple dozen different projects going on simultaneously.

The event continues to be a hit with everyone and we generally draw about 40 bikes and over 50 people from 9 states. Suzanne and I always have a great time getting to meet the newcomers and seeing old friends too.

Here are links to the past three event tales:

May 2008

April 2007

June 2006

Roy Temple's Photos

Last year, Zep also made a

. The first half is stop action of garage/driveway and then there is nice footage of people working on the bikes, changing tires, and the ever present rubber chicken.

We will use this thread to track who's interested and what your project plans are. But, remember to register with the evenbrite site.

Click Here Now to Register for May 2009

Cheers!

Paul & Suzanne

I'll be there. Not sure yet if I'll have anything to wrench but I'm certainly up for helping others in need of valve adjustments, tupperware removals, fuel pump changes, any number of other things...

Looks like Cindy and I will be there for this one. PM me if you need me to bring anything although, as I remember, you didn't seem to need anything.

We're heading to Tennessee at the end of the month so I need to get things in order. I led a group of riders north last Sunday so my bike may still need a good cleaning by then :grin:

DSCN1571.JPG

I can't imagine not attending. I'm thinkin' HID headlamp. But I'd prefer doing it side by side someone who actually knows what they're doing? Anyone?

.... plus 3 or 4 party tents in the driveway in case of inclement weather.

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I needed to know what date it is going to rain so I can fertilize my lawn :grin:

.... plus 3 or 4 party tents in the driveway in case of inclement weather.

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I needed to know what date it is going to rain so I can fertilize my lawn :grin:

RANT Follows :grin:

Ouch!!! You know AJ... just because it seems to rain EVERY time I host a tech day doesn't mean it is GOING to rain every time I host a tech day... As I recall there was one time where the temperatures were freezing and the winds were gusting significantly... I don't recall any rain that day! Oh, and lets not forget the time when Jamie and Leslie were here from San Diego... Every time Leslie came outside to visit, the clouds would part and the sun started shining through. So there!!!

RANT Over :grin:

NOTE TO SELF: Put fertilizer down on lawn May 1st.

Hi Everyone, :wave:

Just checked the registration site and it looks like we already have a dozen folks signed up for the Tech Day! Pretty good for two months out but the driveway and garage are going to look really empty unless there are 40 bikes and half of them have parts everywhere.

Keep the registrations coming and post here with what projects you'd like to accomplish or see. Several Guru's have become regulars to help out. I'm thinking about waiting until the Tech Day to do a Spline Lube demo on my bike using a knockoff of Jamie's (KMG_365) Splinal Tap. What else are you interested in seeing done...

Cheers!

Paul

Won't know if we can go until we get pretty close to May. I don't want to spoil my perfect attendance record of NE Spring Tech Daze, so we will make every effort. Hope to see everyone soon!

I missed it last year. Not this year!

I have a few farkles to add to my 2005 R1150RT (extra outlet on dash, maybe a Centech) and basic stuff like valves/throttle body sync and fluid changes. Count me in for Saturday at least, Paul.

Rich

Cambridge, MA

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a pretty new member of the site (this is my first post even!) and am a completely new BMW owner. In fact, so new that I don't own one yet. I'm going to be picking up a new 1200RT sometime early summer, but probably won't have it by this date. Regardless I would love to attend and begin learning and meeting some locals. I have basic repair knowledge of bikes, but not specific to BMW.

I'm just across the river from you in East Windsor and can often be found hiking behind your house on the Metacomet trail.

Kip

Hi Kip,

Welcome to the board... You'll find it's a great community to be a part of.

We're looking forward to seeing you at the Tech Daze. Go ahead and register on the EvenBrite sitelink at the beginning of this thread. You won't be the first one to have attended the Tech Daze before taking possesion of their bike. :Cool:

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to service your RT and may even let you reassess a new vs. used purchase decision. We'll be there to watch over your shoulder when you're ready and you can watch over our own shoulders until then. With the money saved up front and on servicing afterwards, you'll have A LOT more to spend on farkles. :grin:

Stop by next time you plan to go hiking... I have an access trail to the Metacomet that I've created right from the house.

Looking forward to seeing you May 2nd!

Paul

Wow, tumblers just click into place and such....

I will be leaving Oregon in mid April and arriving in NY around April 24 to see some family, then, heading out to return West right around May 2.

I'm anticipating a need for tires and I'd love to lube my splines- the splinal tap tool makes that easier than totally tearing the bike apart as I understand? I am going to plan to join you all to take advantage of the tire equipment at my turnaround point and meet some folks from the other coast.

Still planning trip stuff but it looks like a great opportunity.

I was just telling somebody about my trip and that worst case if I need mechanical stuff I might get lucky and fall upon helpful, friendly riders- and looky here....

I will go register - Paul is there anything particular I need to set up ahead of time about having tires shipped there? If it's not a pain in your rear, I'd just as soon get them ordered now while I know SW Moto tires has them in stock.

Mike

Sounds Perfect Mike...

You can have the tires delivered to the house. Address is in first thread post. This is usually what people do and has worked out real well. I just set them aside in the garage. I'll take care of dropping off the old ones at the local tire shop. Ditto for any fluid changes you want to do before the return trip.

If we are going to do the splinal tap on your bike, I'll do mine beforehand so you can have the bike lift. I can walk you through it. We also do the starter and linkages at the same time since we are in there anyway. Expect to have a crowd of onlookers.

Oh... and you are also welcome to stay at the house. Let me know what if Friday night, Saturday night, or both. There will likely be a few others staying too. Plenty of room...

Let me know if you need anything else.

Paul

LD Rider? AWESOME! I look forward to meeting you in person!

I wouldn't recommend this as a place to swing by in the middle of a 55CC...but right afterward? YES!

Sounds Perfect Mike...

You can have the tires delivered to the house.

Thank you, I'll get my order in.

I'll take care of dropping off the old ones at the local tire shop. Ditto for any fluid changes you want to do before the return trip.

Thanks again. I'll be at my relatives' place down in Wantagh the week prior so I might get that mundane stuff handled in their driveway. I know they don't have a tire changer though. ;)

I think the tires I'm taking off might be desirable for our gracious host to keep around or for somebody to take home as emergency spares- they'll be Roadsmarts with 4500 miles on them. I haven't used them before but given my usual tire consumption pace of 6000 miles, they'll have enough to be useful, but not enough to get me home the way I want to go.

If we are going to do the splinal tap on your bike, I'll do mine beforehand so you can have the bike lift. I can walk you through it. We also do the starter and linkages at the same time since we are in there anyway. Expect to have a crowd of onlookers.

I'm used to that because I'm so handsome...

(Anybody who has seen the pics Bullett took of me helping Rebs do his brakes at the N Utah tech daze knows that's a great big lie)

Oh... and you are also welcome to stay at the house.

Thank you Paul, I appreciate that but I'll probably return to my great uncle, aunt and uncle's place in Wantagh NY after the tech day and see them for one more night before I head for home.

LD Rider? AWESOME! I look forward to meeting you in person!
Ditto!

I wouldn't recommend this as a place to swing by in the middle of a 55CC...but right afterward? YES!

I thought about making it a 50CC on the way out or the way back, but I think I'm going to plod along at about 600-800 miles a day and take some pictures.

Paul,

Thanks for hosting this agian. I would want to do a spinal tap, valves and TBS, and Auto Com install.

Let AJ know we are expecing warm sun and dry conditions this year.

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

One month away from our annual Tech Daze.

Weather is finally looking promising. The snow is almost gone and it's getting warmer out. Even saw some of those HD posers on the road over the weekend. ;)

So far, about 20 people are coming that I know about. Plenty of room for more. Have you registered yet? Details are in the thread's first posting.

Cheers!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

I’m planning to attend. If you need a bike to demonstrate the SPLINAL TAP, your more than welcome to use mine as I would like to get that and a brake bleed done. I would also like to see how to fabricate the splinal tap tool. I’ll show up with the side panels off my bike as I don’t live to far away. I’ll bring my twinmax, fluke 87, and ministan.

Henry

Hi Henry,

Glad to hear you will be able to make the Tech Daze this year!

We can definitely find a slot to put your bike on the lift for a Splinal Tap. The tool is scary looking but pretty straight forward to construct (thanks to Jamie's design instructions) once you buy the needle. We will also service the starter too while we are in there. Just did mine and I think Fugu might be joining you.

See you in a few weeks...

Paul

Hi Everyone,

Less than 3 weeks until the Tech Daze on May 2nd. 24 people currently registered and plenty of room for more.

EVAD10

Ricorider

jc120

Armando

MOS

Francis

Zern

Fugu

CT_Rider

BarNone

SVCWKR

BOXDAWG

BOXDAWG's better half

TestPilot

lazyellodog

RevRay

Woodie

alimar

henryj7

JeffofConnecticut

Enfoman

BMWPhreak

SAMSAR

Mrs. SAMSAR

We've got a good line up of work to be completed on the bikes but looking for a lot more people to get their hands dirty... Guru's are standing by to help you with your first major service. Drop us a post here and let's us know you are coming and what you'd like to accomplish.

You can register here...

See you there!

Paul & Suzanne

That is my weekend to work. I think the best Georgi and I can hope for is to ride up possibly some time in the afternoon and get in the way. :grin: I won't be doing any work, but would be willing to show off my winter projects: (Centech AP 2 fuse panel, freshly straightened and powder-coated wheels, passenger seat heater and back rest). Definitely want to maintain my perfect attendance record for NE Spring Tech Daze.

Left side Cam Chain tensioner replacement. If you are planning to do this mod let me know and I'll bring my tools to help you get it done quickly. Should take you about 45-60 minutes start to finish.

Francis

Well, once again, work calls so I am out! I'll be in Richmond, VA thinking of you guys while I integrate a new business into our ERP system....

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i'm a 60% probability of attending.

interests include

1/ learning but not doing brake and clutch fluid change.

2/ learning but not doing tire change (without and with tire change machine) and balance

2/ perform spline inspection and if this can be done without pulling the tranny then spinal tap tool, if not spinal tap no use as spline inspection needed.

3/ HID conversion

4/ horn upgrade

5/ aux lighting

i will register at the site if/when probability of attending >90%

cheers.

Hi Paul, just registered. I'm looking to install running lights, if that's ok. I think I can, I think I can --- and if not - there'll be many to help - thank you sooooo much for sponsoring this event again - see you!!!

Looks like I'll be able to come to drink beer and break things!

I may be installing a set of Ohlins on the 1200RT if I don't get to it next week. Any interest in helping me get the setup dialed in?

Just so happens I'll be doing that too among other things. Between the two of us, we should be able to work things out!

Bob

Hi Paul, happily my plans changed so I just registered. Not much to do on the RT, maybe a break bleed, if someone can give me an assist. But mostly to just hangout, see some people I haven't seen in a while, meet some new ones, enjoy the surroundings and talk some unrally. Thanks for hosting once again. See you on Saturday!

Hey Paul,

Not looking good for me on saturday, electrical gremlin has GS going to dealer, with a little luck it will be ready for UN.=)

Hi Everyone,

With just a few days left until May 2nd, it looks like we've got another great Tech Daze event shaping up.

Last count is 34 people and the projects are going to be interesting. Major and Minor Services; Lights and Farkles; Splinal Taps and Starter Maintenance; Ohlin Shock installation; Cam Tensioners; possible tire changes and a chance to practice your tire plugging skills...

and now, I get to add a fork seal replacement :P ... I spent the last few days up in UNrally VIII (Don't forget to register here ;) )territory doing route recons and tenting at UNHQ. I apparently forced MapSource to include an unpaved road section towards the tail end of the Grafton Dixville Notch loop, ... "How bad could it be?" I asked myself... Six miles into the wilderness, and several full compressions of the suspension, I finally accepted that my RT is no GS and backed my way out. (Before anyone asks, I already made the change to that road route and added it to the GS route.)

As expected every year, rain is in the forecast but that has NEVER stopped this crew before. The party tents will be up in addition to the garage bays for the bikes. And, there is plenty of space in the house and camper for those who decide to stay over. We will have breakfast, lunch, and dinner for those who are here.

Keep the registrations going... It will be great to exceed 40 people once again!!!

Paul

Ohlin spring replacement. I wnat to change the spring on my from Ohlin shock (R1150RT). Anyone have the tool or know how to do this? The problem I am addressing is tht I am getting a very harsh high speed compression on the front shock and thought a softer spring (which I have) could give more compression and a less jarring ride. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Francis

Hi Paul,

If it's not too late, I'd like to join the fun this year. Approaching 12K so I'd like to see a few things and maybe try a final drive fluid change. But mostly want to meet northeast riders.

Scott

I ordered and received in today my HID upgrade kit. Since it comes as a pair I have an extra if anyone wants to do it along with me.

Hey Bill, I think you should add that second HID next to your tail light to flash would-be tailgaters. Beats the standard brake check!

Archived