IGNORED

Beware of Corbin

Limecreek

Seems like a lot of pent-up negative feelings towards Corbin are being released! I'm still waiting for a response to the question that I emailed them last September, or so - must be very busy!

I've had two Corbin seats. Customer service considerations aside, I just don't think they're as good as the other options that are available for BMWs.

They adhere to the theory that a very hard foam is the best seating surface. Having now experienced a couple of other makers' saddles, I strongly disagree. While the Corbin for my R1100RT was an improvement over stock, it still caused a lot of discomfort after a couple of hours of riding.

Corbin also uses their own seat pans (at least they did when last I ordered from them) and they just don't fit as well as the stock pans. In addition, they are much, much heavier than the stock seats and, I believe, heavier than most of the other aftermarket seats on the market.

Really, while their products look great, I have just not found them to be as good as many other manufacturers'. Add in the rampant reports of not just bad, but snotty, customer service, and it's a pretty easy decision.

The rear seat was delievered on Thurday and I intstalled it last night. Installation required a bit of adjusting before it snapped and latched into place, but once in place it fit well and followed the contours of the bike.

108722250.jpg

108720876.jpg

A view from the saddle.

108720743.jpg

The heater works as well as the stock seat--perhaps not quite as hot, but more than enough to warm the tush.

108720510.jpg

Comfort is superior to the stock seat and after putting 150 miles on it this morning I can tell I am going to like this Corbin as much as the one I installed on my RT. The seat allowed my hips to roll back a bit, solving the sliding forward problem. I can almost flat foot the bike with the seat in low position--about the same as the stock seat.

Too bad for Corbin and me--it will be my last purhcase from them.

If they will not interchange why list them separately with no warning on the order page? It is kind of a mistake waiting to happen... did they question the order of only a partial seat?

BINGO! Nailed it!

That's why the service manager attempting to defend this situation would be fired, GONE in 60 seconds if this were my business. In how many times when Cobin sells a SINGLE seat for this bike will they end up with a dissatified customer? Answer: EVERY TIME. 100%. Almost without exception.

This situation was caused by a broken business process at Corbin. Rather than immediately taking the loss and fixing the process to ensure it never happens again (neither the loss NOR the dissatisfied customer due to such a situation), the Customer Service manager is trying to save a few bucks. They should definitely be, by policy, calling and questioning every client that attempts to buy a single seat, where that seat is not compatible with a stocker (save, maybe for RT-P's).

Anecdotal evidence by ticked off clients could obviously be a sampling error, but uncorrected business processes like this are more than likely evidence of a problem in Corbin's corporate culture that goes straight to the top.

- Scott

Wow, that is one crappy seat. And a crappy attitude from corbin. Sorry to hear your troubles. Next time try Rich's.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Kind of funny. I checked out Rick's. I've got a Sargent's that came with my RT for a smaller rider. Nice seat, but I can tell that I'm going to want to swap eventually to something my size.

Anyway, in context of this thread, his quote was priceless:

ABOUT CORBIN SEATS: Note: We can no longer work on Corbin seats.

:rofl::clap:

Wow! Just the opposite for me. I had great input from the salesman. He was very quick to respond to my e-mails. They were closed for three weeks over the holidays, but made my seat the following week. It looks great. We still have ice on the roads, so it's going to be a while before I get to try it out. But I think I'm going to be happy with it.

BTW it was for a 1985 Honda Sabre not the K75T

Eckhard Grohe

I had a stock seat and I had a Sargent seat for my RT and both were instruments of torture, the Sargent being worse than the stock seat. I have had a Corbin for the last 7 years and it is comfortable. I am just happy to have found something that worked for me. No, I haven't run into their customer service but I am going to have to get some of the rubber bumpers soon so I'll see what happens.

To each his own and I wish you all well in the search for the perfect saddle.

AdventurePoser

Hey Greg,

What a frustrating series of events. I have bought a couple of used bikes that had Corbin saddles when I purchased them. Heavy and poorly made, I don't think I'd ever purchase one.

Good luck-I hope you are able to resolve this soon...

Steve in So Cal

I'm now riding on Corbins after years of torture from the crap stock seats. The manager does need to get his act together but the product is priceless.

Linz :)

• 5 months later...

This is probably why Corbin is up for sale and Corbin Canada went out of business. I was ready to order the solo seat for my ST1300 (glad I didn't). They ignored several e-mails from me asking what happened to Corbin Canada and who I should order from. Then, they refused to accept any kind of credit card - said I had to send them a money order. I gave up.

Archived