IGNORED

What do you say when the LEO asks "How fast were

Bud

That's what I said earlier. The officers asking those silly questions are either inexperienced or havn't figured out yet that starting a traffic stop conversation in an argumentative way only leads to frustration for both of you.

You'll typically end up in a "I was going 55"...."No you weren't"....."yes I was"....." No you weren't"

Those of us that have figured out how to get straight to the point, let them know what we will need them to do next and deliver the goodies in a timely manner without a lecture have much less confrontation AND physical resistance.

I ask those quesitons to the person who I intent to give a warning too. If the lie, ticket, if they say "I am sorry officer", slow down have a nice day. Not all my traffic stops are done that way. Usually if I going to or from work traffic stop.

A while back I was in rural AL on this twistie road we always go to.

No houses or traffic for miles. After a hours drive to get there I grab the gas and start busting some curves. Up a head a brown jeep is coming out of the woods (hunter I thought) so I slow down and find a place to pass him. I pass him and get back on the gas for the next set of turns. Blast threw them and check the mirrors and see blue lights. Pull over and wait for him to catch up, knowing I was going to jail. He gets out and says, Do you always pass marked police trucks while doing 30 mph over the limit?

I laughed and said, "that probably tops my list for stupid"

I then said, do you want me to get in the truck.

He told me he rode too and understood about corners, but that was over the edge. He then said that bike sure must handle well because you never missed your line.

He wrote me for 19 mph over and told me to go to a track next time.

He could have taken me to jail.

I feel my confession and good humor on the stop saved my tail that day.

David

That's what I said earlier. The officers asking those silly questions are either inexperienced or havn't figured out yet that starting a traffic stop conversation in an argumentative way only leads to frustration for both of you.

You'll typically end up in a "I was going 55"...."No you weren't"....."yes I was"....." No you weren't"

Those of us that have figured out how to get straight to the point, let them know what we will need them to do next and deliver the goodies in a timely manner without a lecture have much less confrontation AND physical resistance.

I ask those quesitons to the person who I intent to give a warning too. If the lie, ticket, if they say "I am sorry officer", slow down have a nice day. Not all my traffic stops are done that way. Usually if I going to or from work traffic stop.

On the way to work today. Pick up, squeals tire out of a gas station, hauls butt down the road. Pull him over. Questions? me, "Do you know why I stopped you?", him, "No." me, "You are kidding, right?" him, "Well, I could've been speeding and I am having problems with my truck." me, "That is pretty stupid to do in front of a polic officer?", him, laughs "Yes Sir." me, "Have a nice day."

SOP for me on all speed stops.

"Good morning, I stopped you for speeding".

"Do you know how fast you were going"?

"Do you know what the speed limit is"?

My motive is to solicit incriminating statements which will be written down on the officer's copy of the citation. The purpose of the notes is to use them against the defendant in the event the charges are contested in court.

Regardless of what you say, deny or admit to, you get a ticket. There are a few exceptions of course.

In Chicago during the '70s , if you got stopped for speeding, and if they asked if know how fast you were going, the answer could be, "gee officer, I don't exactly know, but perhaps my friend ANDREW JACKSON here knows. Then you just hand him the money and slowly pull away. No tickets, no points, no insurance problems.....at least that's what I have been told.

In Chicago during the '70s , if you got stopped for speeding, and if they asked if know how fast you were going, the answer could be, "gee officer, I don't exactly know, but perhaps my friend ANDREW JACKSON here knows.

This just begs the question, so is Chicago more corrupt now, the same, or more in the 70's? :rofl:

The cops aren't accepting ....contributions these days, since the news reporters exposed them. Now they are in to shaking down drug dealers and selling the junk themselves. Not all of them are dishonest though, there are a lot of good honest cops every place you go. :grin:

The cops aren't accepting ....contributions these days, since the news reporters exposed them. Now they are in to shaking down drug dealers and selling the junk themselves. Not all of them are dishonest though, there are a lot of good honest cops every place you go. :grin:

And we would especially like to welcome all the representatives of Illinois's law enforcement community that have chosen to join us here in the Palace Hotel Ballroom at this time...

just in case any of you can read, I mean are reading here tonight.... :wave:

Then...wouldn't a better response be, "Yes"? But not offer the number?

If you think being a smart ass to the cop will help your case any... :grin:

Actually it does in my case. I fight EVERY ticket. Warranted or not. I'm batting 1000. Trial by Declaration is your friend. Traffic laws are not laws of physics (unless you hit a wall). Speeds are arbitrary and often based on the average driver. The officer that pulls me over is going to write me no matter what. So, if asked if I know my speed, I say "yes" and nothing else. I'll plead my case to the defense lawyer who gets paid by the hour to go over the Trial by Declarations. Every officer has responded and yet the court has sided with me every time. Even in cases where my LEO buddies have told me they have never known anyone to get of this or that infraction. BTW, I've help several people here on the board. One thanked me recently as they got the notice that they won their case. Another person at work just emailed me that they won theirs as well. (A turn on red violation) So again, say as little as possible if you are in California. Otherwise, "Yes, I was speeding" will be held against you.

SOP for me on all speed stops.

"Good morning, I stopped you for speeding".

"Do you know how fast you were going"?

"Do you know what the speed limit is"?

My motive is to solicit incriminating statements which will be written down on the officer's copy of the citation. The purpose of the notes is to use them against the defendant in the event the charges are contested in court.

Regardless of what you say, deny or admit to, you get a ticket. There are a few exceptions of course.

Amen. And you are doing what you are supposed to do.

If I am doing 20 over, what magic phase can I use that would make you want to let me off? There are none. Which is why I would just answer "Yes" to both of your questions and nothing more.

BTW, there is that good joke.

"An officer is following a guy and the guy starts to speed up. The officer keeps pace and the guy just keeps speeding up. Finally, the officer lights the guy up. The guy pulls over. The officer asks him what he thinks he is doing. The guy responds, "Well, my wife left me for a police officer. I just thought you were him trying to give her back." :-)

M

If you people would just keep it 5 under like I always do, you wouldn't have to worry about what to say!

Hummmm, I think you were in front of a long line of traffic. I was the guy five cars back. Two cars passed you illegally because they were frustrated by your not doing the speed limit. I'm kidding you of course, but I'm kidding about be stuck by a slow poke who won't use the turn outs.

Well let me ask you this. Who has been through HUNDREDS of trials???? Yes, HUNDREDS>>>>>>

:clap: Me me me me me me me me me! :clap:

What do I win?

Seriously, there was this one time I got stopped, and the officer said, "Do you think you could have been going 100?", and I said, "No, I'm very sure I couldn't have been going 100", and then he said, "Could you have been going 90?", and I said, "uhhhhhhhh". I didn't get a ticket.

That was a demurrer, not a denial.

Then...wouldn't a better response be, "Yes"? But not offer the number?

If you think being a smart ass to the cop will help your case any... :grin:

Actually it does in my case. I fight EVERY ticket. Warranted or not. I'm batting 1000. Trial by Declaration is your friend. Traffic laws are not laws of physics (unless you hit a wall). Speeds are arbitrary and often based on the average driver. The officer that pulls me over is going to write me no matter what. So, if asked if I know my speed, I say "yes" and nothing else. I'll plead my case to the defense lawyer who gets paid by the hour to go over the Trial by Declarations. Every officer has responded and yet the court has sided with me every time. Even in cases where my LEO buddies have told me they have never known anyone to get of this or that infraction. BTW, I've help several people here on the board. One thanked me recently as they got the notice that they won their case. Another person at work just emailed me that they won theirs as well. (A turn on red violation) So again, say as little as possible if you are in California. Otherwise, "Yes, I was speeding" will be held against you.

Stir,

You gotta slow down. 1000 tickets? :rofl:

Been a while since i was stopped-went like this.74 in a 55 il state trooper asks if i knew how fast and i say i think about 75.He says whats your excuse?I say -don't have one i was speeding and you got me.He shakes his head and gives me a warning

A few years later we became good friends.Ed

In California the LEO's (especially the CHP) are usually very well disciplined. They usually dispense with the head games and tell you right up front why they stopped you. Otherwise, I usually say: "I'm not sure, but no faster than was safe for the road and weather conditions." :grin:

But . . . I'm also always keeping my high visual horizon and looking VERY far ahead to spot trouble early . . . and to make sure I'm not contributing to any of my LEO buddies earning their next toaster . . . and I never ride without Mr. Valentine watching out for me . . .

. . . and I've also recently learned never to let Whip lead . . . unless we're on dirt (not bloody likely) or in Texas! :dopeslap:

...and always mention that your a fireman, several times as the LEO might be hard of hearing....and always get in the term "brother officer"....and always ask if they have their own bike...and ya never know, there could be a fire ahead. :)

I do feel I get more breaks on the bike and have yet to pay a fine after several conversations with LEOs. In the car its a written warning or ticket.

Bill

...and always mention that your a fireman, several times as the LEO might be hard of hearing....and always get in the term "brother officer"....and always ask if they have their own bike...and ya never know, there could be a fire ahead. :)

I do feel I get more breaks on the bike and have yet to pay a fine after several conversations with LEOs. In the car its a written warning or ticket.

Bill

Might a support your local sheriff sticker alongside of a current law enforcement organization sticker help?

No. We don't see one red cent of any donated money to this or that charity. Maybe widows see it or something. We all get or $ from TAXES. There's no policeman's ball either.

All those stickers say is...Hey, give me a pass I threw some money at you.. When you actually threw your money at a middle man who pays an administration and employees to collect charity to finally divvy up to some good cause.

You're better off saying you have a valid concealed weapons permit and that your firearm is safely in x location.

I find most of those people are willing to donate blood in your defense on the side of the road rather than toss you a dollar while you're life is being taken from you.

No. We don't see one red cent of any donated money to this or that charity. Maybe widows see it or something. We all get or $ from TAXES. There's no policeman's ball either.

All those stickers say is...Hey, give me a pass I threw some money at you.. When you actually threw your money at a middle man who pays an administration and employees to collect charity to finally divvy up to some good cause.

You're better off saying you have a valid concealed weapons permit and that your firearm is safely in x location.

I find most of those people are willing to donate blood in your defense on the side of the road rather than toss you a dollar while you're life is being taken from you.

I don't care for those stickers either, but I'm not that cynical about what someone that does have them would do if there was a problem on the road.

We used to get those calls asking for donations. I always promised a large contribution, AFTER I received certified copies of the financial audits from the last three years. Never go the copies, never gave. :lurk:

Odd, for most of the speeding stops I can recall, I was TOLD, not asked, how fast I was going.

After being told my measured speed, does an apology constitute an admission of guilt on my part?

The only stop I can remember in which I was first asked how fast I was going was about 15 years ago. Speed limit was 55, and I told the officer I thought I was doing 55 (I really did think so). He said no I wasn't, because HE was doing 55 and I was PASSING him. OK, sure, yeah, I might have been doing 55.3 MPH; it literally took me about 30 seconds to complete the pass. No radar reading to confirm, so I didn't get a ticket - instead, I got some long-winded lecture about zero-tolerance. That's what I get for daring to pass a cop, I guess. On the whole, I'd say everything was right with the world if I was the biggest menace to society that he could find that day. :grin:

[slight hijack]

Ahhh, yes. Nothing quite like the good old 'contempt of cop' stop. There are idiots in every profession.

I've gotten mad-dogged by local officers while driving my personal car on the freeway a few times. One of these occurred after I passed a pair of officers at 68 in the 65 zone (they were doing 62 in the fast lane, holding up traffic behind them).

To their credit they were smart enough to not initiate a traffic stop.

I'm sure their supervisor would have been interested to know why they were impeding traffic on the freeway and conducting traffic enforcement outside of their jurisdiction in a manner inconsistent with enforcement policies of the CHP.

[/hijack]

Personally, I prefer the straight forward approach of informing the offender of the reason for the stop at the initial contact. Some people might argue about the violation, but at least you told them why you were stopping them.

I've found that the reply, "Too fast I assume, since you stopped me (with a smile, in a non-sarcastic tone :grin:)," is a good way to admit little, but at the same time not question the officer's reason for stopping me. So far, so good.

Mitch,

That can be attributed mostly to the fact in Michigan that for tickets the amount of evidence needed to support a traffic citation is "the preponderance of the evidence" which is essentially the LEOs word....I don't need any admission of guilt on your part and no magistrate cares if you admitted to it or not...anyone in Michigan asking that question is making an assessment to how much of a j&*k@ss someone is or isn't....

Dave

Odd, for most of the speeding stops I can recall, I was TOLD, not asked, how fast I was going.

After being told my measured speed, does an apology constitute an admission of guilt on my part?

The only stop I can remember in which I was first asked how fast I was going was about 15 years ago. Speed limit was 55, and I told the officer I thought I was doing 55 (I really did think so). He said no I wasn't, because HE was doing 55 and I was PASSING him. OK, sure, yeah, I might have been doing 55.3 MPH; it literally took me about 30 seconds to complete the pass. No radar reading to confirm, so I didn't get a ticket - instead, I got some long-winded lecture about zero-tolerance. That's what I get for daring to pass a cop, I guess. On the whole, I'd say everything was right with the world if I was the biggest menace to society that he could find that day. :grin:

Archived