IGNORED

What do you say when the LEO asks "How fast were

Bud

going?"

My ILL State Police friend told me the correct answer is "I don't know." Why? Because if I said 78 (20 MPH over) and the LEO had clocked me at 74 (I got on the brakes early) then I have just admitted to an offense which has a higher fine and more points.

What do you say? (Other than Whip who says "I'm from Texas :wave:)

Well the LEOs know the answer to this one but it seems that 'I don't know' many not be the best answer either since it's a pretty poor defense if you want to fight the ticket. If you admit that you don't know and the LEO says that he does then there's not much to contest on your part. The best 'court' answer would probably be to say that you were going the speed limit, although if you were really flying that carries with it the risk of insulting the LEO's intelligence which isn't exactly going to help you get out of the ticket either.

Well the LEOs know the answer to this one but it seems that 'I don't know' many not be the best answer either since it's a pretty poor defense if you want to fight the ticket. If you admit that you don't know and the LEO says that he does then there's not much to contest on your part. The best 'court' answer would probably be to say that you were going the speed limit, although if you were really flying that carries with it the risk of insulting the LEO's intelligence which isn't exactly going to help you get out of the ticket either.

Then...wouldn't a better response be, "Yes"? But not offer the number?

russell_bynum
going?"

My ILL State Police friend told me the correct answer is "I don't know." Why? Because if I said 78 (20 MPH over) and the LEO had clocked me at 74 (I got on the brakes early) then I have just admitted to an offense which has a higher fine and more points.

"I really couldn't say."

going?"

What about...."To the best of my knowledge I was doing the posted speed limit" Or you can be like others from ANOTHER post and say nothing...yep, that will go a long way with the LEO on a T stop. :lurk:

I don't remember exactly what Jamie said when the nice officer asked us if we knew how fast we were goin, but some how he got in......."I'm here for a firefighter convention"

435668907_TPfJd-L.jpg

....The officers reply was somethin like......"since your both here on a firefighter convention I'm gonna give you boys a break."

It must have been my red Stich :rofl:

There's as many answers as there are cops. The cop knows or at least thinks he knows how fast you were going.. If I get someone 20 m.p.h. over and they tell me they "don't know" or " I was doing the speed limit" I'm much more likely to write them as they must have their head up their arse..OTOH if driving conditions are such that they are not subjecting others to danger and they tell me they were 20 over and can tell me when they first saw me I at least know they are paying attention.I let many of those go.. What doesn't work as well is "why don't you just let me buy you a do-nut?" ;)

That was an AZ DPS officer? They would ticket their own mother!!! I'm gonna make a call cuz there is something wrong with him!!! Needs an eval to determine his abilities to be a DPS officer!! :rofl:

DaveTheAffable
going?"

How about the truth? :/

It seems it would depend on how fast you really were going. If you say "I don't know," you run the risk of insulting his intelligence. Knowing the break points between the small fines, the big fines, and bike confiscation, I'd confess to something just below the break point below the Truth.

For instance, Reckless Driving is often defined as 20+ over. Reckless Driving is really bad -- possible jail bad. So, if I'm going 80 in a 55 and the LEO asks if I know how fast I was going, I'll say, "Somewhere between 70 and 75, I think."

Will it work? I've never had to try it, but it's good to plan ahead. :grin:

or as on another posts we could count on the officer starting the conversation completely open/honest and saying I have you clocked at x. Is that correct, because we know they would never ever try to put out a leading question to get a different result....

Since I have never been stopped, I might ask a question back, like why did you stop me...What would the officer say?

Since I have never been stopped, I might ask a question back, like why did you stop me...What would the officer say?

As one who has... he'd say that you were stopped for excessive speed, and tell you how fast you were going. It's not a secret since you both know the answer. :grin:

or as on another posts we could count on the officer starting the conversation completely open/honest and saying I have you clocked at x. Is that correct, because we know they would never ever try to put out a leading question to get a different result....

I don't know what he would say but I suspect the result would be the same for the guy who offers to buy him a do-nut.. :grin:

Or you can be like others from ANOTHER post and say nothing...yep, that will go a long way with the LEO on a T stop.

Since it's not an arrest, the issues from the other thread don't really apply.

In any case, the nice thing for those riding a BMW is that you can never quite be sure what speed you were going, anyway.

What do I say (I have practice)? Well, I don't really know, but may be I was having too much fun? With a smile on my face. It worked more often than not.

I don't know.

I've only been pulled over twice in my life for speeding.

The first time I was a sorry kid who shouldn't have been driving because I had too much [beer :eek:] to drink. Fortunately, I was able to take a couple of bites out of my burrito before the officer arrived at my door. I told him I was in a hurry to get to Dallas before the clubs closed. He didn't ask me how fast I thought I was going.

The other time was potentially more serious because I was operating a city bus (in Durango, Colorado). I told the officer the truth: I was trying to get my single passenger to the airport on time for his flight. The very nice police officer let me off with a verbal warning to "slow down and get the man there alive."

Good advice don't ya think?

.... the nice thing for those riding a BMW is that you can never quite be sure what speed you were going, anyway.

The last time I got pulled over (Hi Greg :wave:) I thought just that when asked the question.

After a moment or two of mathematics/silence (was that 5 or 7 percent?????), I gave up on trying to compute my speed & simply stated "obviously too fast."

I got a ticket for my honesty :P

.... the nice thing for those riding a BMW is that you can never quite be sure what speed you were going, anyway.

The last time I got pulled over (Hi Greg :wave:) I thought just that when asked the question.

After a moment or two of mathematics/silence (was that 5 or 7 percent?????), I gave up on trying to compute my speed & simply stated "obviously too fast."

I got a ticket for my honesty :P

No, you got the ticket for speeding.

You got to keep your integrity for your honesty :thumbsup:

Traffic units get bold face lies, rude comments and genuine mis-treatment all day long. I never asked anyone "Do you know why I stopped you?" or " Do you know how fast you were going?"

Why? This has a general conotation that the officer has no idea either and is trying to make something up while you are repyling.

I always walk up and say "Sir (or Maam) I'm deputy xxx and the reason I stopped you is ____., May I please see your license, regis......

This disarms many people who had their head up the %$# and really don't know why you stopped them and gives them something to do immedietely by looking for their stuff to give you.

The folks that say, geez, I wasn't paying attention, you sure got me, I wish I hadn't done that" etc . or similar, will often get a warning because HONESTY is REFRESHING in a world of major jerks. *Since there is no shortage of people willing to accuse you of making stuff up, lying, saying "impossible my cruise was set on xx" I simply move on to those that need more Karma.*

It's da truth I promise. Oh and (there really is no quota) but don't tell the conspiracy theory people! My reply to the quota accusations are " Yup!! two more tickets and I win that toaster!"

Traffic units get bold face lies, rude comments and genuine mis-treatment all day long. I never asked anyone "Do you know why I stopped you?" or " Do you know how fast you were going?"

Why? This has a general conotation that the officer has no idea either and is trying to make something up while you are repyling.

I always walk up and say "Sir (or Maam) I'm deputy xxx and the reason I stopped you is ____., May I please see your license, regis......

This disarms many people who had their head up the %$# and really don't know why you stopped them and gives them something to do immedietely by looking for their stuff to give you.

The folks that say, geez, I wasn't paying attention, you sure got me, I wish I hadn't done that" etc . or similar, will often get a warning because HONESTY is REFRESHING in a world of major jerks. *Since there is no shortage of people willing to accuse you of making stuff up, lying, saying "impossible my cruise was set on xx" I simply move on to those that need more Karma.*

It's da truth I promise. Oh and (there really is no quota) but don't tell the conspiracy theory people! My reply to the quota accusations are " Yup!! two more tickets and I win that toaster!"

Love ya man. The last time I was asked, I was honest and got a ticket for speeding (not honesty) and decided to give a different answer next time.

Nice n Easy Rider
going?"

I'd probably say "The last time I looked..." and give a number about 5 mph over the limit. Then the LEO can't think I'm giving him an outright lie but, at the same time I'm not admitting to a serious offense.

Well, I don't know about where you live, but here in South Carolina, when you are stopped for any traffic violation, you are, by the laws of our "wonderful, forward-thinking state", "Under Arrest." That came up in discussion with a State Trooper friend of mine, when I asked if I could request to see if the officer's radar gun/laser gun had been properly calibrated... apparently in some other states that is a tactic to throw doubt on his speeding equipment. I was told that I don't have the right to ask for that as SC Uniform Code states that you are technically under arrest. Go figure.

Or you can be like others from ANOTHER post and say nothing...yep, that will go a long way with the LEO on a T stop.

In any case, the nice thing for those riding a BMW is that you can never quite be sure what speed you were going, anyway.

Greg a T stop is a detention plain and simple. They are not FREE to leave. All is required of them is to provide the admin info and that is all. If they do leave?? Guess what? A trip to jail is the next step. So my friend I beg to differ.

Well, I don't know about where you live, but here in South Carolina, when you are stopped for any traffic violation, you are, by the laws of our "wonderful, forward-thinking state", "Under Arrest." That came up in discussion with a State Trooper friend of mine, when I asked if I could request to see if the officer's radar gun/laser gun had been properly calibrated... apparently in some other states that is a tactic to throw doubt on his speeding equipment. I was told that I don't have the right to ask for that as SC Uniform Code states that you are technically under arrest. Go figure.

A motion for discovery would have to be made to obtain this info in AZ as well.

I don't know what he would say but I suspect the result would be the same for the guy who offers to buy him a do-nut.. :grin:

Im a no BS guy...I say exactly what the stop was for. It minimizes games each other can play. I have been a victim of those curbside lawyers many times. So I say what it is for and start writing either a warning or a cite.

This reminded me of my birthday in 2005. I was riding my 98 RT to work on the morning of my birthday with a new iPod playing in my autocom. Feet on the pegs, throttlemeister locked, leaned back against my trunk playing air guitar about 10 over as I passed a FHP motor cop. He waved as I passed and ignored me as I signaled my turn at the next exit. It was still funny, at least to me.

55831014.jpg

Greg a T stop is a detention plain and simple. They are not FREE to leave. All is required of them is to provide the admin info and that is all. If they do leave?? Guess what? A trip to jail is the next step. So my friend I beg to differ.

Yes, of course it's a detention. Nowhere did I write that it's not a detention, so I'm unsure what you're differing with.

The subject in the other thread wasn't about detentions. The subject in the other thread was about custodial interrogations.

Yes, of course it's a detention. Nowhere did I write that it's not a detention, so I'm unsure what you're differing with.

The subject in the other thread wasn't about detentions. The subject in the other thread was about custodial interrogations.

You will make a good lawyer..ya like to argue. It was referenced about an arrest. And in the eyes of the court a detention is an arrest.

It was referenced about an arrest. And in the eyes of the court a detention is an arrest.

That is, quite simply, wrong.

(If it makes you happy, I won't even make an argument in support.)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Last time I got pulled over (it wasn't long ago) I passed an LEO in a cruiser headed the other way in a sweeper. I was speeding. It's a fantastic 2-land road to ride at a good pace, but it's incredibly rare that there's no traffic holding you back. I'd say, like 1 in 100.

So I was enjoying the evening. I saw the LEO when he flashed his headlights at me, but didn't realize it was an LEO (because of the lighting) until he was 'right there.' I rolled off the throttle and continued at a more legal speed and after a short while realized that he was coming up behind me. I pulled over, turned off the iPod and kept my hands on the bars.

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "Officer I have ear plugs on and think that we would be better served if I removed them."

Officer: "Okay"

So I take off the helmet and pull the plugs.

Me: "How ya' doing?"

Officer: "Pretty well thanks. You were moving along pretty quick bakc there."

Me: "Oh, yeah. It's been a while since I've been through here and not been stuck behind someone going 45."

Officer: "Yeah, that happens a lot doens't it. I clocked you at 74 with my radar. Did you see me flashing my lights?"

Me: "Yes, but I didn't know who you were until we were passing."

Officer: "Why didn't you put on your brakes?"

Me: "I was headed uphill and just rolled off the throttle. These big twins have a lot of engine braking."

Officer: "Oh. Well next time I'd like to see some brake light so I know you got the message."

Me: "Yes officer. Would you like to see my papers?"

Officer: "Nope. Just slow down. Have a nice evening."

I don't know if it was a bit of distraction, or just my extra big effort to be polite and not-suspicious, but similar events have ended the same in the past.

Also, there are a ton of LEO's on my commute. I know where they sit. I wave at all the motors. Most of them wave back if they see me. I wonder if I'm now "the guy on the red BMW" vs. "a potential speeder."

OK, this thread has gone on long enough without some idiocy, so here goes:

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going"?

Moi: "No sir. I was too scared to look"

Well, two things:

a) One thing that no one has suggested yet is not even letting the LEO ask the question to begin with. A friend of mine always starts the conversation with "How fast did you get me?" He would either then be surprised or simply states "It seems you have very accurate equipment there officer."

b) A few years ago in Athens, GA, I had to file a police report because someone hit my rental car (literally the only car in the hotel lot in the middle of the day and someone hits it???). When the LEO showed up, I was waiting in front. He drove right past me, so I stood up. He stopped a few yards ahead of me, so I walked up to his window which he rolled down. Sometimes thinking quickly has its drawbacks as I just couldn't resist asking "You know how fast you were going back there?"

He was less than amused despite my apologies explaining I doubted I'd ever get that opportunity again.

Sometimes thinking quickly has its drawbacks as I just couldn't resist asking "You know how fast you were going back there?"

He was less than amused despite my apologies explaining I doubted I'd ever get that opportunity again.

That's just funny...

It was referenced about an arrest. And in the eyes of the court a detention is an arrest.

Well let me ask you this. Who has been through HUNDREDS of trials???? Yes, HUNDREDS>>>>>>

Joe Frickin' Friday

Odd, for most of the speeding stops I can recall, I was TOLD, not asked, how fast I was going.

After being told my measured speed, does an apology constitute an admission of guilt on my part?

The only stop I can remember in which I was first asked how fast I was going was about 15 years ago. Speed limit was 55, and I told the officer I thought I was doing 55 (I really did think so). He said no I wasn't, because HE was doing 55 and I was PASSING him. OK, sure, yeah, I might have been doing 55.3 MPH; it literally took me about 30 seconds to complete the pass. No radar reading to confirm, so I didn't get a ticket - instead, I got some long-winded lecture about zero-tolerance. That's what I get for daring to pass a cop, I guess. On the whole, I'd say everything was right with the world if I was the biggest menace to society that he could find that day. :grin:

Who is it that likes to argue, Dave?

Well let me ask you this. Who has been through HUNDREDS of trials???? Yes, HUNDREDS>>>>>>

In how many of those have you been an attorney, expected to make legal arguments?

I could ask, "Who has been through hundreds of decisions of cases raising issues of Fourth Amendment search and seizure?"

Terry itself recognizes that a detention is not necessarily an arrest: "We thus decide nothing today concerning the constitutional propriety of an investigative 'seizure' upon less than probable cause for purposes of 'detention' and/or interrogation."

I won't run the whole litany of post-Terry cases that make a much clearer legal distinction between mere detention and arrest, but you can start right away after Terry. I'll pop to an easy one based on a traffic stop, U.S. v. Sharpe, which breaks out the issue in its opening line. "We granted certiorari to decide whether an individual reasonably suspected of engaging in criminal activity may be detained for a period of 20 minutes, when the detention is necessary for law enforcement officers to conduct a limited investigation of the suspected criminal activity." And later, "Cooke returned to the Pontiac and arrested Sharpe and Davis. Approximately 30 to 40 minutes had elapsed between the time Cooke stopped the Pontiac and the time he returned to arrest Sharpe and Davis."

That was an AZ DPS officer? They would ticket their own mother!!! :rofl:

You got that right! A buddy and I were rolling in his Subaru wagon on I40 out of Flagstaff, Saturday afternoon, clear, dry, coming back from skiing. I see the officer light everything up and come at me across the center divider as though I was on fire. With attitude, he invites me to join him in the cruiser, next to the radar, and then pops the 'Do you know...?' question. I said 'yes' and he asked how fast. I didn't respond. He said 67 in a 55 and he was right. I was really ticked (and about to be ticketed). As he was writing, he apparently felt a tinge of humanity so he asked what kind of work I did. I told him I was a dope cop in L.A., which I was. He didn't stop writing but said 'That's kinda dangerous, isn't it?'

Oh boy, in an instant I had about a dozen smart-a** replies in mind, but settled for 'I guess'. As I was getting out of the cruiser, I said something like, 'Hey, in the time it took to write me, about a hundred big rigs rolled by. I may have been speeding, but those mutts have been blowin' me off the road all day.' It was worth the $35 bucks.

The only time I ever badged anyone was when I was working and legitimately in a hurry.

Francois_Dumas

Eeerrrmmm... you're not thinking of doing that here in Europe too, are you ???? :dopeslap::rofl:

"How fast were you going?"

"Why, don't you?"

Exactly. What is the point a police officer is trying to make when they pull you over and ask, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" or "Do you know how fast you were going?" If the officer pulled you over, then there is a reason only truly known to the officer as you certainly didn't pull yourself over. And I'm quite sure the officer is going to let you know one way or the other why you were pulled over and how fast you were going regardless of your answer. It always seemed to me those questions are the officer being a smart a** to begin with. Either way, the questions are a setup before the exchange even begins. And if the officer isn't judge/jury, then why are questions or a discussion of said offense even necessary? Stop with the questions, administer the ticket, and get everybody on their way.

What's wrong with "Good day, Mr./Mrs. X, I pulled you over because of XYZ and may I have your license, registration and proof of insurance"?

That's what I said earlier. The officers asking those silly questions are either inexperienced or havn't figured out yet that starting a traffic stop conversation in an argumentative way only leads to frustration for both of you.

You'll typically end up in a "I was going 55"...."No you weren't"....."yes I was"....." No you weren't"

Those of us that have figured out how to get straight to the point, let them know what we will need them to do next and deliver the goodies in a timely manner without a lecture have much less confrontation AND physical resistance.

John Ranalletta

One personal experience. I got caught cold travelling at a speed substantially in excess of the posted limit. No excuses and stopped by two units though not in pursuit.

The young trooper leans in and asks that question. I said, "somewhere north of XX, officer" to which he replied, "Had you lied to me, you'd be calling your lawyer; but since you didn't I'm writing a speeding citation."

I never think about "beating" a ticket. If I was speeding intentionally, I'll hope I catch a break. I've not met a LEO yet who went to work that morning intending to ruin my day. He just happened to be around at the wrong time, for me, that is.

Archived