IGNORED

K1300GT and K1200GT

tbloomq

440144035_ivDcF-M.jpg

From this angle the vents look functional. I wonder if they intend to vent some of the engine heat through them?

The red one looks good on ya Phil.

From this angle the vents look functional. I wonder if they intend to vent some of the engine heat through them?

The red one looks good on ya Phil.

Yes, this was one of the intended functions.

Wow, I would like to trade my RT in one but wait..

that costs money...

I have no money...

You can get money from having a job...

but i dont have a job...

Oh well, i guess I am sticking to my RT. Its paid for.

An accessory you won't find on all the Beemers out there. Besides, your 2005 is much too young to give up on now. Put a hundred thou on it and then let's talk.

:grin:

An accessory you won't find on all the Beemers out there. Besides, your 2005 is much too young to give up on now. Put a hundred thou on it and then let's talk.

:grin:

I guess if thats an accesory, then its the best farkle of all.

My sentiments exactly on my 05RT! Love this color on the new GT though, and the side vents greatly improve the looks of the fairing.

I think the vents are meant to help cooling. Hopefully, it's helped resolve the airbox problems.

I notice the bars on the 1300 seem to have more flex in them. Not sure why. That and they've gone to standard turn signal controls.

I checked the price and it's pretty much the same as the 1200.

Based on past experience, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig for this one :)

Joe Frickin' Friday
I think the vents are meant to help cooling. Hopefully, it's helped resolve the airbox problems.

What was/is the problem?

On the K1200GT, the idle position sensor would stick due to heat expansion of the airbox. This would cause a horrible high idle condition, bucking, and stalling. It was an issue on my brother's 2006 GT, and BMW finally issued a TSB that called for the complete replacement of the airbox with a different, more robust design.

When I bought my 2008 GT, I couldn't imagine that two years later, the airbox issue would still be a problem. But sure enough, it was! :mad: After reading the TSB and checking serial numbers, it turns out my '08 was about 140 bikes away from the factory fix. :mad: In the first week of ownership, the bike exhibited extreme high idle, bucking, stalling, and throttle control issues. Of course, these symptoms only manifest themselves when the bike is hot, so they don't show up on short test rides. Irv Seaver took care of the airbox replacement and ever since, the bike has run perfectly.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On the K1200GT, the idle position sensor would stick due to heat expansion of the airbox. This would cause a horrible high idle condition, bucking, and stalling. It was an issue on my brother's 2006 GT, and BMW finally issued a TSB that called for the complete replacement of the airbox with a different, more robust design.

Wow, that stinks. It sounds like they've formally acknowledged the problem and designed a fix, so I'd be really surprised if it continued to be a problem on the 1300.

Archived