IGNORED

How many carry a gun on road trips????

Whip

Dave McReynolds

How about pepper spray......Any "packers there?".....

State laws vary. For example, in California it's legal to use against people, illegal against bears. In other states, it's the reverse.... Go figure!

russell_bynum
I cannot belive any state would stop me from protecting my property

Believe it.

.....anyone can sue anyone for anything....winning and collecting are the hard part.....

Yep, and legal fees to fight it may cost you your house in the meantime.

Not true in any State in the US. There are MANY other justifiable uses of deadly force... they vary state to state, but no state limits it to "in fear for your life".

Some examples from my state:

Arson of an occupied building

Rape

Protection of another life

Check the statutes for the state you live in for the actual applicable details.

JW

<snip> The only time that deadly force is justified is when you are in fear of your life.

Michael

This is very simple. If you are traveling w/in your state you have no problems if you have a permit. As already noted with the direct quote from the federal statute, you need to dissassemble the firearm while traveling between states until you get to your destination: unless you are a fed.

By not doing so, you open yourself up to state and/or federal prosecution. As also noted, there are the civil suits that you open yourself up to as well. The police, DA and US Attorney aren't going to want to hear the excuses or rationale. You will get locked up even if you do "protect yourself or your property." One may be able to justify protecting oneself at a trial, but not the variety of weapon reltated charges that will also be tacked on as well.

Bottom line is that it is not worth the risk, but if one does it, he is forewarned and ignorance is never a defense.

Regardless of someone (sane, non-criminal and who have never shot anyone in the past) having the permit to carry or not, if it came to the "moment of truth", honestly, who could (outside of law enforcement or military personnel in a theatre of combat, who train for this to be instinctive) pull the trigger without hesitation or falter? When I was a young man in the Marine Corps, I know that I would be able to because of the training, firing exercises and aggressive "bravado" drilled into an impressionable mind, but I never saw combat, so I don't have a real life scenario to compare this to (and of course a combat zone would be a different situation altogether compared to being robbed or accosted by thugs). Now, years later, serparated from the military by time and not as "testosterone-filled", I don't think I could without wide-eyed hesitation. Of course, this could be the soon-to-be-graduating nursing student in me speaking.

John Ranalletta
Not just on road trips... but all the time. I also hold a concealed carry permit. A handgun is simply an outstanding accessory for a motorcycle.JW
According to which statistics? How many motorcyclists encountered a situation where a sidearm saved the day? Do you personally know of any? When was the last time you felt the need to draw a weapon in any situation, on a m/c or not?

Carrying a gun substantially raises the probability of a bad outcome.

I'm not anti-gun ownership, but, come on, this is the 21st century. We use statistics and facts to make decisions, not hyped-up NRA, Deliverance imagery of America.

Likely, any rider needing a sidearm is making some questionable choices about where, when and with whom to ride.

steve.foote

Regardless of someone (sane, non-criminal and who have never shot anyone in the past) having the permit to carry or not, if it came to the "moment of truth", honestly, who could (outside of law enforcement or military personnel in a theatre of combat, who train for this to be instinctive) pull the trigger without hesitation or falter?

I'm your huckleberry. wink.gif

I have a ccw permit. In Arizona you may only show or use your weapon if you believe you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death. I can't believe Texas would allow deadly force under theft conditions where your life is not threatened. Come to think of it, Bush came from Texas--now I understand!!!

you could easily wind up in jail for doing something in California that would likely get a ticker-tape parade in Texas.

You obviously know California, and it looks like you know Texas pretty well, too... grin.gif

russell_bynum

You obviously know California, and it looks like you know Texas pretty well, too...

Born and raised in Texas. Currently doing time in California. grin.gif

Why is it that this topic always turn to Politics?

Now, lets start a helmet thread.

Back on topic ...What Marty said.

Nope! I use too & once in New Jersey I got into a bunch of trouble with the police on a stop & lost it. Spent several hours in the local station & was almost given some time in the hoosegow. But I do carry a nice sharp knife & know how to use it.

I have a ccw permit. In Arizona you may only show or use your weapon if you believe you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death. I can't believe Texas would allow deadly force under theft conditions where your life is not threatened. Come to think of it, Bush came from Texas--now I understand!!!

Uncalled for answer. Cm'on now, lets not get politics into it. Geesh!

Actually, you can shoot someone who is commiting criminal a criminal act after dark. There is a case study where a man shot two for stealing the hubcaps off of his car. It was night...

Archived