IGNORED

How many carry a gun on road trips????

Whip

In Tx I have a concealed hand gun license and I know some states will honor my license when traveling...what about the ones that don't?????..it makes me feel safer when I travel... what about you???????

All who are about to answer...you understand that you are sharing this info with the entire world. Think!

BitScribbler

I'm from the UK.

The whole concept of carrying a hand-gun (concealed or not) to make me feel safe just boggles my mind.

Two very different countries, I guess.

Joe Frickin' Friday
In Tx I have a concealed hand gun license and I know some states will honor my license when traveling...what about the ones that don't?????..it makes me feel safer when I travel... what about you???????

There's gotta be web sites out there - starting with the NRA, I would think - that will tell you which states are amenable to your concealed carry, and exactly what you have to do to comply.

As for what about me...I've never carried. In 100K miles of bike travel, never felt a need to. Only once I felt a bit edgy, when I got off US101 and turned the wrong way on University Avenue, ending up (very briefly) at a gas station in EAST Palo Alto. My unease was more due to things I had heard about that locale prior to my trip, rather than to any cues in my immediate environment; people at the station were minding their own business just fine.

Your license is honered by 22 additional states besides Tx. Each state having it's own limitations. What you need to study up on are the states (you plan to traverse through) peaceable journey laws, as they are all different.

Information can be found Here and you can do a search on this topic, as it has been discussed frequently in the past.

I'm from the UK.

The whole concept of carrying a hand-gun (concealed or not) to make me feel safe just boggles my mind.

I'm from the US.

Jerry_75_Guy
Don't do it in NYC/NY, CT or MA. They won't recognize an out of state license.

As I understand it Cook county IL also will not

recognize your lic. and may try to confiscate your

weapon.

This nearly happened when my regional chief pilot

moved there, and checked in with the local police station

to ask if he needed to register with them.

Not just on road trips... but all the time. I also hold a concealed carry permit. A handgun is simply an outstanding accessory for a motorcycle.

JW

Joe Frickin' Friday
Geee - don't know how I've made it so far....

Hey, everyone's got their preferred accessories. Some folks can't bear to travel without an MP3 player or a radar detector... crazy.gif

Don't do it in NYC/NY, CT or MA. They won't recognize an out of state license.

In NJ, you go directly to jail, don't pass GO, etc..

I'm from the UK.

I'll second that.

I have travelled in or through 26 of the states and I have NEVER felt worried or in danger.

baggerchris

When I was a young person, I thought that I always took a "friend" with me for protection. Now after 35 years on the road and never having been a position of needing him, I realize that I still take him along for the fun of it. I love to plink and target shoot. When I am camping or on a trip, and I am in a suitable area, I will shoot. I keep him(or her) in one locked saddlebag, and the fodder in the other locked saddlebag.

All who are about to answer...you understand that you are sharing this info with the entire world. Think

I don't carry guns or money, in fact, nothing of value whatsoever....and my bike is not worth stealing. grin.gif

But you (entire world out there) still won't be able to take anything from me...think on that! eek.gif

Blue Beemer Dude

I too have a concealed carry permit and have been the victim of an armed robbery as well as a victim of a broken heart... but that's another thread.

My permit expires next month and I've decided not to renew it. I've come to the conclusion that

a) in most cases, it's not going to do you a lot of good and

b) if you find yourself in a place that makes you so uncomfortable that you feel that you need a gun, then you should leave and avoid those places in the future.

I would hate to have to kill someone just because I felt that my wallet was in danger. Which - by the way - is not justification for using deadly force. The only time that deadly force is justified is when you are in fear of your life. And the only time that happens to me is when I take a turn too fast. And a .357 isn't going to give me any more traction at that point... grin.gif

Natch, the second amendment is still in force, and I support your right to go about armed, as long as you don't shoot me for cutting you off in traffic. dopeslap.gif

Michael

I have a Concealed Weapons Permit. I have not carried on the bike but I always carry in other vehicles.

I don't worry about who knows this.

When stopped my a LEO they check my license and know that I have a permit. They also know that to have the permit I have not been convicted of a felony and have had checks run by DPS.

Carrying for me is legal. I don't carry with the intension of breaking the law.

To me using a radar detector appears that you are planning on breaking the law.

United States Code

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Release date: 2004-08-06

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Since carrying an unloaded gun around in a locked container doesn't afford much protection while travelling through a "no-carry" state, it might be better just to leave it at home (securely locked up, of course).

I just took my renewal class and the legal use of forse is simple.....if you are about to lose something that you cannot reasonable expect to get back, you can use lethal force to protect your property.....

russell_bynum
I just took my renewal class and the legal use of forse is simple.....if you are about to lose something that you cannot reasonable expect to get back, you can use lethal force to protect your property.....

That may very well be true in TX, but the laws are different in other states.

You also have to consider that, even if you are legally justified, you WILL be sued in civil court.

I'm not making an argument for or against, but you need to understand the laws in each location you'll be traveling in, and you need to understand the consequences of using deadly force.

RichEdwards

I'm from the UK.

Lots of American minds are boggled by this too, so it's not really a different country issue.

BitScribbler, I guess our forefathers didn't feel your same sense of "safety" back in 1776.

Hey, just kidding, we're all good buddies now.

Although I have a CCW, I haven't felt the need to carry on a motorcycle. Having the FREEDOM to decide however, I do enjoy quite well.

RPG

Hey, everyone's got their preferred accessories. Some folks can't bear to travel without an MP3 player or a radar detector... crazy.gif
How about an iGun? It should be white, trendy, and very easy to use.
All who are about to answer...you understand that you are sharing this info with the entire world. Think!

I like to wear ladies' underwear. There ... I said it.

I'll second that.

I have travelled in or through 26 of the states and I have NEVER felt worried or in danger.

I'll third that, 3 continents, 16+ countries, 48 states, 400,000 bike miles, 250,000+ car miles, never felt I needed one. I've had a gun pointed at me twice but in neither case would it have helped to have one myself (not bike related incidents)
R1100RT_Ray

I carry while in my home state. I stash it in the right side bag when in states that don't honor Florida's permit. I never put the ammo in the left bag since that's the one that catches fire. blush.gif

I'm hoping some day everyone in America will subscribe to the Rodney King philosophy of "Can't we just all get along here" Until then I'll carry.. thumbsup.gif

I ask this question because of your comments in another thread....and I didn't want to hijack the thread......

My wife has also taken the gun classes amd has her permit...we ran out of gas on I-10 between Fort Stockton and Ozona...I felt a lot better leaving her with the bike knowing she had the gun.......

i live in nevada and i have a concealed carry permit. it is also recognized in utah idaho arizona alaska and a few more states. i always carry when i ride. even when i walk. lol i will probably never need a weapon but if i do its a comfort to know i have an equalizer. wink.gif

Who would kill somebody over a property theft? If somebody tries to swipe my iPod, I can put a bullet in their head? And a gun license renewal class teaches that that is lawful? eek.gif

Who would kill somebody over a property theft? If somebody tries to swipe my iPod, I can put a bullet in their head? And a gun license renewal class teaches that that is lawful? eek.gif

Methinks he maybe should have said "can't reasonably expect to replace." e.g. one's life.

Various states differ on this, and i'm sure it goes into case law, not just code

DavidEBSmith

One in Texas does. From the Texas Penal Code:

§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is

justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Straight from the Texas Penal code

Section 9.42 Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, moveable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41 ; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery,aggravated robbery,theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property ; and (3) he reasonably believes that: (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means ; or (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury..

We just don't think one should have to allow another to steal his stuff..

russell_bynum

One in Texas does. From the Texas Penal Code:

That's what I was talking about. The laws from state to state vary widely and if you don't understand the laws in the states you are traveling through, you could easily wind up in jail for doing something in California that would likely get a ticker-tape parade in Texas.

Either way, you WILL be sued in civil court.

I cannot belive any state would stop me from protecting my property.....anyone can sue anyone for anything....winning and collecting are the hard part.....

russel your Bio says......Peace through superior fire power???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I cannot belive any state would stop me from protecting my property.....anyone can sue anyone for anything....winning and collecting are the hard part.....

Whip, do you have the information you need now? The links above seemed to provide it. If so, let's not have a discussion about gun control, yet again. It has nothing to do with motorcycling, per se.

russel your Bio says......Peace through superior fire power???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Peace%20Thru%20Superior%20Firepower.jpg

Well, maybe it does have to do with motorcyling. Maybe all rallies should post if firearms are welcome, or not. Metal detectors, armed vs unarmed campsites, etc. I frankly don't need to be around someone who feels they need a firearm for protection for whatever reason. And, I do own some guns for hunting.

We just don't think one should have to allow another to steal his stuff..

Man, that's a Whole Nother Country. Can't do that in Virginia.

Archived