IGNORED

Team Overkill Builds Motorcycle Garage

David

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

When we bought this home a few years back, it as actually the first place we'd ever had with a garage. So mechanical/woodworking activities were conducted on the sidewalk with help from neighbor kids, no matter the weather.

This place had a nice cement floor, which was terrific for a number of years. But recently we moved out for three months (we still haven't moved back) to do a major remodel, and I decided to go ahead and take apart the garage while we were at it and do that part myself.

I spend a lot of time there working on bikes (four until recently), woodworking, tinkering, my own stupid inventions, etc. My truck won't fit in my side, anyway, so I might as well turn it into a man-space. I work from home, above the garage, so I'd already had a small, separate HVAC unit put in. Even the smallest unit had plenty of capacity to heat/cool the garage, so I punched grill holes in the duct work.

First was repairing damaged walls from serial abuse.

Next was painting the whole thing.

Next was designing a floor from RaceDeck, the super durable 12x12" tile that comes in various finishes and lots of colors. I got it straight from the manufacturer at a tremendous price, fully half of what I was quoted for a professional epoxy type paint finish. And this I can take with me if/when we sell the house. I used the CircleTrac for the bulk of the garage--dark gray for the driving area and light gray for the walkway--and then switched to Free-Flow where the garage starts to slop so that any water can just flow out the door. I got the edging for the entrance, too. It's very easy to put down, but you do have to think through it. Start from the center to leave expansion room on the sides. I love this stuff. Here are where the four tiles meet.

tile.jpg

Next was designing the storage areas. I went with heavy duty inexpensive shelving from Lowes in the back and the nicer Gladiator cabinets that WhirlPool makes. Again, straight from the manufacturer with terrific pricing.

Next was doing a better job with compressed air to drive tools and all. I routed the houses better and bought a Reelcraft 50' reel to make it easier to get the air where I need it, on the bench or the Handy lift:

air.jpg

Finally, I added a bunch of lighting...and the obligatory TV for MotoGP races. I guess that's true "bench racing" in a literal sense. :grin:

Now it's time to go get the bike back from where it's been stored and load the garage back up, all neatly organized.

No, I don't have OCD. :/

As soon as the water and gas get turned back on. Actually, I would like to do one in the fall. Maybe you could ride down and illustrate that rear end stuff!

What did you put in for lighting? I'm not quite settled with my garage yet, so would like your thoughts.

I have in mind three 4' Fluorescent enclosed fixtures for general garage lighting, supplemented by three hanging xenon fixtures w/ dual 100W bulbs in them on a separate switch. (2car garage + 12x10 "shop" area.)

That's not a garage... it's a freakin' operating room...

If the consulting doesn't work out, I'm going to pursue that. The Handy will be an operating table.

Seriously, it's amazing how easy it is to clean. All but two things are on wheels, so you roll it to the center, sweep/mop, roll it to the outsides, and finish the center.

What did you put in for lighting? I'm not quite settled with my garage yet, so would like your thoughts.

I have in mind three 4' Fluorescent enclosed fixtures for general garage lighting, supplemented by three hanging xenon fixtures w/ dual 100W bulbs in them on a separate switch. (2car garage + 12x10 "shop" area.)

I just used two-bulb 48" flourescent fixtures. Get the T8 bulbs, though, instead of the older T12. They are about $5 more per unit, but are much lighter and efficient. For my side of the garage, there are 3 strips for 8 bulbs. It's more than enough, and I probably could have gotten away with 3 strips.

i'm drooling. all our remodeling is complete except one, messy room/area. guess what it is?

The garage? See, you've got to get your priorities right. :/

I will not hate David for his garage.

. . .

. . .

. . .

:dopeslap:

i'm drooling. all our remodeling is complete except one, messy room/area. guess what it is?

Yep,

you could store records there and write it off too.

David,

one of your tiles is backwards.

Just thought you'd want to know. :grin:

Looks great. :thumbsup:

Don't play with me. :grin:

There was a day laborer here who needed some extra work, so I let them put half the floor down after carefully explaining the pattern and orientation. I got back late that day and it was all wrong and we had to pull it up.

I for one don't like it.

See, it's just difficult to mock something of which you're jealous, and since 98% of my posts here are either mocking or sarcasm, I don't have much else to add to this thread - especially since your el-paseo.info site is in Polish now, so gone are the "before" pics. :)

Maybe I'll add a +1 later in the thread just to prove myself wrong.

And yes I am jealous.

Yep,

you could store records there and write it off too.

David,

one of your tiles is backwards.

Just thought you'd want to know. :grin:

Looks great. :thumbsup:

you closet, i mean workshop/garage CPAs crack me up. i noticed the tile as well.

If the consulting doesn't work out, I'm going to pursue that. The Handy will be an operating table.

Note to self: Do not accept invite to David's "Tech Daze."

Note to self: Do not accept invite to David's "Tech Daze."

The air tools make it fairly painless, and definitely quick.

Maybe I just don't see it...where's Itchybro supposed to sleep?

I do think the stripper pole was an outstanding idea :clap:

I knew you saw this awhile ago--your usually quick retorts are turning into plain old retorts. :/

I knew you saw this awhile ago--your usually quick retorts are turning into plain old retorts. :/

The email to the assault team took precedence :)

Cool. I think I'm going to have to put an engine in my truck. What time can I start saturday? I'll be done in a month or 2, so it won't be in the way long. Looks like I could drain the fluids right on the floor then you could just put new tiles down!

Cool. I think I'm going to have to put an engine in my truck. What time can I start saturday? I'll be done in a month or 2, so it won't be in the way long. Looks like I could drain the fluids right on the floor then you could just put new tiles down!

Actually, you can drain it right on the floor. Cleans up nice. "Resistant to oil, grease, petroleum products, antifreeze and most household chemicals," they say, and you just get the hose out and blow it all into the neighbor's yard.

Are you kidding about your truck?

russell_bynum

Looks great!

I went nuts with lights in my garage. It's a 3-car, and I've got 2 of the 2-tube 48" T8 fixtures over the single bay, and four over the double bay. I replaced the single bulb that came with the house with a ceiling fan (not such a big deal for you since you've got AC) with it's own light. Then there's 3 24" 2-tube fixtures over the workbench.

The only time I need task lighting is when I'm under something. :)

I've got a hose reel like that, though I still need to run the line from my compressor. Right now I just drag it across the floor and plug it in when I need it. One of these days I'll get off my ass and finish that.

Of course, I've got the TV and DVD player, and I put an old computer out there (with Linux) so I can surf the web to look up stuff without getting my laptop dirty.

I like your diamond-plate parking stops for Julie's car. I'm using the low-tech "old 2x6 on the floor in the garage", which is also good for stubbing your toes when you're not paying attention.

I'll be interested in a long-term review of the RaceDeck. I really like it, but it just seems like you'll have stuff seeping into the seems and being hard to keep it clean.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Looks pretty shweeeeet! Nice job.

You're set up for quite a bit of storage in your garage. Is there no basement under this house? Our garage is 2-car, but just barely; yours looks like it's slightly larger (tho still 2-car).

I've got a single heavy-duty shelf unit in our garage for miscellaneous small stuff that gets used in the garage (oil, hornet spray, lawn/leaf bags, gas can, etc.), but other than that, it's just a few lawn implements/ladders hanging on the wall, a lawn mower, a portable garden hose reel, and a big ol' trash can.

One corner of the garage does have my compressor, welding table, and powdercoat oven. All the other random junk (including my tools) is kept in the basement; I need to have room to shove the bike off to the side so I can park my car in the garage during winter.

The floor looks great; I may look into that stuff.

I'll be interested in a long-term review of the RaceDeck. I really like it, but it just seems like you'll have stuff seeping into the seems and being hard to keep it clean.

I did a ton of research before biting the bullet, so I don't think there will be any surprises. The two downsides I know about are...

1) It can be slippery. Not with shoes, but like a ladder foot or something, when there's plastic on plastic.

2) Hard edges will make an indentation. Not any rolling weight, even up to big trucks, but sharp edges like a car jack. Even if you forget to put a pad under it, it's easy to pop a bad tile out and put a new one in.

I'll tell ya, it's sure comfortable to walk on. Should be warm in the winter, too.

ShovelStrokeEd

Now I know why you called Tasker. I wouldn't want the pile of injured plastic and various scrap in that space either.

Nice job.

Yeah, no basement. They're actually quite rare in TN because of all the rock in the soil.

We really like this house, especially now, but one thing I dream about is a large "hobby barn" type place, where I could have a photo studio, woodworking shop, kiln and throw wheel for Julie, etc.

Some day!

Now I know why you called Tasker. I wouldn't want the pile of injured plastic and various scrap in that space either.

Hey, you know that's not true! I might not have let you in the garage, dripping blood and all, but I'd have put your bike in there. :grin:

Should be warm in the winter, too.

assumed you tore up the floor and installed radiant heating...you know keep the tires warm for quick take offs. :)

I am on my way over. The bikes have not run in 6 months and they all need some minor work.

What time does the shop open?

HOLY *&IT..........that is a nice shop! Team Overkill can design my workspace.

Dang, even your boss, Keith Code, doesn't have a place that nice.

Very impressive, David. A couple of events (mit bbq) and you just might earn the Garage Mahal East title.

Just keep telling yourself that. :grin:

Construction on our new "barn" begins in about 2 weeks. You've given me something to aspire to. Not sure I can keep up with your budget or turnaround time, though.

Nice work. :thumbsup:

David, I see some ethernet cabling running through the space. Can we expect some streaming tech video's in the near future?

Nice job.

russell_bynum

3.jpg

Time to come clean....how much time did you spend trying to figure out how to get the table level AND the cabinets under it to line up?

And how many hours per night do you lay awake in bed obsessing over it?

:grin:

Time to come clean....how much time did you spend trying to figure out how to get the table level AND the cabinets under it to line up?

And how many hours per night do you lay awake in bed obsessing over it?

..and as you can see he permanently mounted the levels on the right side to make sure they remain level

Archived