IGNORED

KGT Engine #2 Dead on the way to Paonia

Limecreek

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, how did you get your nick name?

Here we go again....lol

I was at the 4T tech session at David Bakers place in Nashville, TN. I was in the middle of a valve adjustment when we got tight for time and I literally started throwing the covers back on the bike so we could get ready for the ride.

Well, we started riding out and the first good turn I made the spark plug wire protector on the valve cover came flying off. I didn't even see it go. Ron B. saw it and made a point of watching where it went. It went right down a SEWER DRAIN! Well, since I have a 1999 where they used a metal stamping on the backside of cover I decided to see if I could snag this thing with a magnet. I managed to borrow and loose Jakes magnet on a stick before I borrowed Davids mongo super huge Tim Taylor magnet and finally after a good hour and a half got it out of there. For this, one of the moderators there gave me the nic Sewer diver. To this day I still don't know if it was David or Jake that gave me the nic.

Shawn

It wasn't me, either. Without going into too many details, Shawn, let me just say that I've staunchly defended you behind the scenes. tongue.gif

beemerman2k

This is why I never change my oil or filter. Like the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I just keep adding new oil since my bike burns it up anyhow. I'm adding about a quart a day right now, so I figure every 4 days I've basically changed my oil!

Engine's been great too, except for that dark blue cloud of smoke that trails behind me when I ride. Probably a BMW defect of some sort. tongue.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I'll never tell, but it wasn't me... smirk.gif

Yep, just like my house....2 kids and nobody did it... grin.giftongue.gif

Shawn

Greg,

Just got back in town and read this.

Major bummer to deal with...

you certainly have shown a lot of class.

It's times like this when a person's true nature manifests itself.

Good luck with getting back on the road ASAP.

I'd let you change my oil anytime! thumbsup.gif

hi all.

i am from athens, greece, and i had the same problem with my oil filter.I dont own a 1200, my bike is a k100rt, but i think the filters and fittings are the same.

the previous owner of my bike had performed an oil-filter change before selling it.He didnt screw the filter hard enough and the thing screwed off and fall in the oil pan.I discover that later, when i was at home

I was rode the bike in that condition about haif an hour!!

Yes, thirty miles with the oil pressure light on and the motor makes noises.

I was at a place at nowhere at night, with my wife and i had no other choice.I know that an operating motor without oil pressure is a catastrofic thing to do, but finally i did it.I was with my hand ready to pull the clutch in the first sing of a seized motor, but nothing bad happens

Later, at home, i open the cover to check the first rod bearing. BMW mechanic said to me, that the first bearing takes the most stress in a lubrication breakdown.

The bearing was o.k.

now i have performed 3000 miles after the oil pressure problem.Bike run as always , no oil burning, no noises , really pleasant to ride.

i am very impressed with my k bike.Maybe old Ks can take more abuse than newers

bobb

k100rt 85

athens

Lime;

Try not to feel too stupid over this. If anyone here tells you they've never done anything stupid, Whadaya think? They're lying like a rug. I guess it's not much help to know that you hang around a bunch of stupid people. But hey, people are stupid.

I'm a new (old) RT owner and I just changed the oil for the 1st time. Guess what? the old O ring stayed in there when I removed the old filter.

As stated earlier, oil the new O ring, and fill the filter with the new oil and it'll never happen again.

The wise man learns from his mistakes. From what I can tell, there are LOTS of wise guys around here. smirk.gif

I won't tell you about the time I backed into dopeslap.gif, never mind.

Archived