IGNORED

not to hate on HD riders but wondered way they

majordad

I can sympathize. I am curious as to why you specifically singled out HD in your OP though. Don't Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., etc., with ridiculously lound pipes bother you too?

I singled out Harley for the gunning of the throttle at stop lights. Someone else advanced the topic to the loudness of the pipes and I then responded to that as well. As far as loudness of pipes.....sure other motorcycle manufacturers have loud pipes but I honestly can't recall a susuki, honda, or yamaha rider blipping the throttle at a stop light. I now will be on the look out for it. I mainly hear their pipes while riding.

This thread was not intended to be an anti-harley thread or anything else to get responders defensive over. I specifically mentioned in the title I wasn't hating on HD. I even considered buying one but because of the pipe tone I didn't (my neighbor's bedroom is literally less than 25 feet from my garage....cul-de-sac neighborhood).

russell_bynum
I even considered buying one but because of the pipe tone I didn't (my neighbor's bedroom is literally less than 25 feet from my garage....cul-de-sac neighborhood).

Have you ever heard one with a stock exhaust? They don't have to be "rattle your fillings and knock stuff off the wall" loud, you know.

I sometimes leave my home at 4am to attend monthly army reserve drills and the stock pipes, especially during acceleration out of the cal-de-sac and down the long road exiting it would be disturbing to my wonderful neighbors. My neighbor three houses down had a police electro glide with stock pipes and his were loud enough for me to hear at idle. Also, I used to have a TDI Jetta and my neighbor on my garage side said they could hear me start up the car in the early morning. I don't want to disturb my neighbors at that time of the morning. When I retire (4 years) then I'll get a HD.

Revving a BMW off idle doesn't feel good and sounds worse than when you started.

Revving a Harley off idle sounds good, feels good and gets the oil flowing if you know what I mean.

Exactly, and it make many a BMW owner envious!

Not me.

I cringe as I watch the reactions of the people around me.

People who nod their head when the converstion turns to "those @#$% motorcyclists".

I wish the police would enforce the noise ordinances (including car stereos) and also boot every bike w/an off road use only exhaust.

Some day I'll let you know how I really feel. :/

or better yet, maybe we should outlaw intolerance :)

It's funny that we have so many threads here lampooning political correctness run amok yet we are unable to simply call obnoxious noise for what it is.

Revving a BMW off idle doesn't feel good and sounds worse than when you started.

Revving a Harley off idle sounds good, feels good and gets the oil flowing if you know what I mean.

Exactly, and it make many a BMW owner envious!

Not me.

I cringe as I watch the reactions of the people around me.

People who nod their head when the converstion turns to "those @#$% motorcyclists".

I wish the police would enforce the noise ordinances (including car stereos) and also boot every bike w/an off road use only exhaust.

Some day I'll let you know how I really feel. :/

or better yet, maybe we should outlaw intolerance :)

Not quite.

Tolerance is showing equal respect for a differing opinion, belief, religion, culture.

LOUD PIPES are usually illegal, discourteous, rude, and show no tolerance by the rider of other people's rights.

Try again.

I rate loud pipes right up there with other forms of noise pollution like a vibrating car heard a mile away because of its stereo being so loud.

Sounds (no pun intended) like I need to lower my expectations for common decency, specifically at 4-5am, and tolerate effects of loud pipes. I was fortunate, he moved.

Back to the orgional question. I have owned both brands and can attest that there is a certain primeval satisfaction to blipping the Harley that just ain't there when you blip a Beemer.

That said , I needed more RPM on the BMW to launch without stalling. The Harley will take off from idle (900) without a single buck.

So you don't need any extra revs with a Harley, It's just more FUN!

I used to have a TDI Jetta

I have to ask, did you blip the TDI at stops?

More seriously, I like the sound of the TDI engine almost as much as I like the sound of an HD with stock pipes.

The R12 at idle is OK, but it really sounds nice winding from 4k - redline.

Fahrfrumpumpen!

actually I never blipped the TDI. From my days working in the motorpool, I had a chief warrant officer tell me in my youth that reving any engine isn't good for the engine because the oil pump can't respond fast enough. So, doing this over time, increased wear on the engine. Being youth and inexperienced I listened to him. Now it's a habit not to rev the engine. I got 221k mile out of that TDI engine and certainly could have gotten more. Never smoked for a diesel either. Once the car was warmed up the knocking sound was quite low. Naturally, in the winter, the sound was louder at start up. Great little car.

I blipped the harley throttle tonight.

I rode it 3 miles to a bar.

I was wearing only street clothes and shoes with a beanie helmet.

Being bad, feels pretty good.

AdventurePoser

Hey, you only think you're bad...I talked to a guy near a local market today who rolled up on a new silver 08 RT. Tee shirt, shorts, flip-flops, and a helmet.

Nice fellow, I invited him to join the Board!

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I blip mine cause it makes the girls look (guys look away). When I'm riding the RT only the guys look(and smile) when I blip...Whats up with that?

russell_bynum
I blip mine cause it makes the girls look (guys look away). When I'm riding the RT only the guys look(and smile) when I blip...Whats up with that?

LOL!

I show off the raw power of my BMW Brakes by squeezing the brake lever on and off. The whining of the servos really draws a lot of attention from folks at the intersection. They roll down their windows to make sure there's nothing wrong with their cars.

Mike O

mIKEY...dAT fUNNIE..! :):grin:

It's funny that we have so many threads here lampooning political correctness run amok yet we are unable to simply call obnoxious noise for what it is.

Yep.

I show off the raw power of my BMW Brakes by squeezing the brake lever on and off. The whining of the servos really draws a lot of attention from folks at the intersection. They roll down their windows to make sure there's nothing wrong with their cars.

Mike O

mIKEY...dAT fUNNIE..! :):grin:

He he he!

Dont you guys realize that loud servos save lives!

Back to the orgional question. I have owned both brands and can attest that there is a certain primeval satisfaction to blipping the Harley that just ain't there when you blip a Beemer.

That said , I needed more RPM on the BMW to launch without stalling. The Harley will take off from idle (900) without a single buck.

So you don't need any extra revs with a Harley, It's just more FUN!

My KGT takes off in second gear with very little throttle.

As for blipping, my last bike was a Victory with factory installed performance pipes, I blipped it cause it sounded good.

If and when I blipp the KGT its usually when I ride with my Harley buddies and thats just to get a grin out of them. :grin:

David

Why don't I blip my throttle again? :dopeslap:

Because your bike sounds like baby farts when you blip the throttle.

Hey, you are way out of line with that remark.

Everyone knows it sounds like 2 nuns farting. :wave:

Why don't I blip my throttle again? :dopeslap:

Because your bike sounds like baby farts when you blip the throttle.

Hey, you are way out of line with that remark.

Everyone knows it sounds like 2 nuns farting. :wave:

Harleys sound like loud blapping farts. Loud and crude. Something Jr High Students would admire. Not for the civilized. (Pass the Grey Poupon) :dopeslap:

Archived