IGNORED

not to hate on HD riders but wondered way they

majordad

gun the throttle just prior to taking off. I notice so many HD riders gun the trottle prior to starting off or while at a standstill eg. waiting for the light to change. Do any BMW riders here rev the engine prior to changing into 1st gear or while idling?

First gear on my 04 RT is so high that I have to give it a lot of gas and almost slip the clutch to get it going. On my H-D I just let out the clutch and the bike takes right off. My H-D is actually easier to get going from a dead stop than my RT. I don't need to blip the throttle on my H-D, but a lot of H-D riders do.

You can't help yourself.

At idle the bike feels like it's gonna stall. You constantly blip

the throttle, because that's what you've trained yourself to do with your 1972 Chevelle , your lawnmower, your leaf blower etc...etc....

...and it feels so good!!!!!!

I may go rent a Harley this weekend just so I can feel it again.

BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you turn up the idle a little it won't stall, but it won't shake the bike like it does when you have it adjusted way down low.

Potato - Potato - Potato - Potato

I really wish my RT had a lower first gear. It's the only bike I've ever owned that will stall on me if I'm not careful pulling away from a stop if I'm in a hurry.

From time to time I'll blip the throttle at a light, or just before I launch from a light. Hell, sometimes Carrie (nicewife) won't just blip the throttle she'll damn near hit the rev. limiter just so I'll say over the radio somethin' like - "easy thunder" or "hey now." Then she'll just transmit a little giggle, and give me a very broad smile.

Revving a BMW off idle doesn't feel good and sounds worse than when you started.

Revving a Harley off idle sounds good, feels good and gets the oil flowing if you know what I mean.

russell_bynum
Revving a BMW off idle doesn't feel good and sounds worse than when you started.

Revving a Harley off idle sounds good, feels good and gets the oil flowing if you know what I mean.

+1

AdventurePoser

I think my RT sounds like a sewing machine, but the other day I was standing by the roadside when another R12 zipped by. It sounded ok.

My favorite motorcycle sound is the sound of the ducati on idle, with that clutch rattle goin' on...

Oh yeah.....

Steve in So Cal

I've never had the urge to blip the RT, simply no reason to. There is little emotional reaction to the reving RT. However, when I was riding a K1200R at a dealer's demo days, my wrist had an uncontrolable twitch at every stop light. I have to admit with every twist of the trottle I'd have to smile. What a smooth sweet throaty engine. That's the kind of bike that is way too much enticement to ride the way I know I shouldn't.

Every Buell (even the 1125-R) I've ever test ridden I blip the throttle like it's crack, or meth! Yea, it's cool. Different on the BMWs.

I show off the raw power of my BMW Brakes by squeezing the brake lever on and off. The whining of the servos really draws a lot of attention from folks at the intersection. They roll down their windows to make sure there's nothing wrong with their cars.

Mike O

I usually just silently tip and teeter the bike a little at stop lights . . . it makes the cagers leave me plenty of room. :/

I'm usually listening to music as the RT does it's inert idling thing. Blipping the throttle of my RT at a traffic light is about as exciting as playing with the power windscreen. After once or twice with little reward, you just let it go and pick a song you like on your stereo/Ipod.

Exactly, and it make many a BMW owner envious!

My 98 Rt had a nice little torque twist when revving it at a light, good for a modest grin. Sort of wish it hadn't been engineered away, gave it more of a "soul" don't ya know.

Exactly, and it make many a BMW owner envious!

Not me.

I cringe as I watch the reactions of the people around me.

People who nod their head when the converstion turns to "those @#$% motorcyclists".

I wish the police would enforce the noise ordinances (including car stereos) and also boot every bike w/an off road use only exhaust.

Some day I'll let you know how I really feel. :/

I blip the throttle just to be sure it's still running and since I can't hear it (ear plugs) the only way to know for sure is if it pulls to the right :D

Throttle blips by Harley riders is directly related to their libido or lack thereof.

:grin: :grin:

I have also heard it is the bikes mating call to locate other obese, slow, under-engineered products...

I just can't help myself.. :dopeslap:

Having one of each, sometimes I get confused & blip the throttle on my BMW. It's so embarrassing. :grin:

Pat

The REAL reason is... its a low end torque thing on the Harley. Blip the throttle and it revs up a little, and the torque is there for you to use when you release the clutch... allowing a smooth take off.

On the BMW the horsepower is more easily available and so a take off can be accomplished without the torque and its a good thing too- because it isn't there... until a lot of revs are in the bag.

On a Harley the torque is down low, on a BMW it dosent happen till later.

All of that and it feels good too....

I think my RT sounds like a sewing machine, but the other day I was standing by the roadside when another R12 zipped by. It sounded ok.

My favorite motorcycle sound is the sound of the ducati on idle, with that clutch rattle goin' on...

Oh yeah.....

Steve in So Cal

Bakc in my sportbiek days a freidn and I traded rides on after noon for an hour. He hopped on my F4i with a Hindle full system and I rode his Ducati 996 with Testatagucci...or whatever pipes it had under the tail. With the open dry clutch... wow, what what a ride. At one point we pulled up next to a group of Harleys... and they couldn't help but look over...and yes I had ot blip the throttle. My best descprition is a Gorilla with a Jackhammer. The potatoo-potahhta motors had nothing on that bike... because there was performance behind the sound. The HD just sounds mean... that Ducati was mean. My friend later got a Aprilla RSV Mille. Nice ride, sounds great, but not the same... except it wasn't in the shop all the time for regular maintenance.

Speaking of tall ist gear... that 996 had a TALL first gear. Any corner under 40mph and you were looking for 1st on a sprited ride.

I kind of like the whirl of the cams at idle on the RT or whatever that noise is. Even cooler is the gear driven cam whirl on as RC51 or VFR.

One thing I'm finding about the RT is that the clutch really likes to be locked up at low RPM's, and gunning the engine for a faster launch seems to be counterproductive if anything, usually resulting in a burned clutch smell. Maybe it's because it's a dry clutch, but there could be other reasons.

Which is a different technique than I use on other motorcycles - particularly on sportbikes, where I tend to carry a few more revs in to the initial clutch engagement if I need to get going in a hurry.

I always did it on my previous bikes to keep them from stalling at the light. Never could set the idle right after doing a tune up.

A long time ago I had a 75 Sportster. I was told by blipping the throttle it would get an extra shot of oil up to the top end.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The REAL reason is... its a low end torque thing on the Harley. Blip the throttle and it revs up a little, and the torque is there for you to use when you release the clutch... allowing a smooth take off.

On the BMW the horsepower is more easily available and so a take off can be accomplished without the torque and its a good thing too- because it isn't there... until a lot of revs are in the bag.

So if a Harley has plenty of torque at low RPM, and a BMW doesn't, then tell me again why the Harley needs a blip of throttle?

Shouldn't the Beemer be the one that gets thoroughly revved up prior to engagement, and not the Harley?

So if a Harley has plenty of torque at low RPM, and a BMW doesn't, then tell me again why the Harley needs a blip of throttle?

Makes more noise that way.

Shouldn't the Beemer be the one that gets thoroughly revved up prior to engagement, and not the Harley?

Aren't the HD and BMW engines basically 1200cc twins? Should have similiar power characteristics. Why don't I blip my throttle again? :dopeslap:

Aren't the HD and BMW engines basically 1200cc twins? Should have similiar power characteristics. Why don't I blip my throttle again? :dopeslap:

BMW, short-stroke 4-valve engines with almost no flywheel. HD, Long-stroke 2-valve engines with two flywheels.

BMW makes a lot of torque - ISTR more then the HD - the 'Torque' you feel is due to the flywheel effect, which also limits the ability of the engine to pick-up revs quickly.

Very different engines, giving very different characteristics.

russell_bynum
Why don't I blip my throttle again? :dopeslap:

Because your bike sounds like baby farts when you blip the throttle.

well low and behold I am at a stop light and a softtail comes up side me and just before he stops, blat, blat, blat, varooom, blat, blat, blat.

seems so silly

russell_bynum
well low and behold I am at a stop light and a softtail comes up side me and just before he stops, blat, blat, blat, varooom, blat, blat, blat.

seems so silly

Try it on a bike that doesn't sound like baby farts. :Cool:

Wheels Rollin'
I notice so many HD riders gun the trottle prior to starting off or while at a standstill eg. waiting for the light to change.

<>

Why? It's written that way in the owner's manual... It's also part of the secret, unwritten code for those who don't like to read, thereby ensuring its longevity and survival...<>

<>

~ Bill

I sit there a blip my RT's throttle, but nobody hears it. Am I the only one who really dislikes loud motorcycles?

I don't like them either. the stock electro glide is tolerable but most aftermarket pipes are too loud. It's a vulgar sound that detracts from otherwise an okay bike. My guess is most hardcore loud pipe users have some form of hearing impairment.

KingBiscuit

It's as simple as this:

That trumpeting sound is to announce to the world "I ride a Harley, Stand Back, I'm A BADASS!"

I saw a special on the Discovery channel that explained that the louder the motorcycle, the more you rev it, certain reproductive organs are enhanced considerably. I personally believe this is true because I seem to notice the Harley guys that are older, balder and fatter than I, seem to pick up all the hot, trashy babes.

Not only that, the BLAT BLAT of a Harley is now recognized the world over at the international symbol for saving lives? Every time I hear a Harley rumbling down the main street, 1/2 mile away, I feel a little safer.

Please don't judge them too harshly! They can't help trying to compensate for their shortcomings. In doing so, they save lives wherever they go....Surely this can't be wrong!

Dan

The HD riders blip the throttle for two reasons: 1). To wake them up from thier oh so boring ride 2. To rattle all of their piercings and pirate costume jiggly bits.

:Cool:

MY old shovel had some sticky clutches and a couple of quick shots from the throttle would free them nicey. Having said that, I've grumbled at new riders for sitting at lights and doing it for no reason...kinda like sharing the sound of a fart, you may think it's cool but the rest of us are unimpressed. I miss loud exhaust on the RT

Couchrocket

Being a new, first time, HD owner... I can provide THE answer: it idles so rough you blip the throttle to keep from chipping your teeth! :dopeslap:

Being a new, first time, HD owner... I can provide THE answer: it idles so rough you blip the throttle to keep from chipping your teeth! :dopeslap:

imagine the money harley could make if they sold a mouth piece with the harley symbol on it? I can just see it now.....harley magazines showing their riders grining with an orange mouth piece.

baggerchris

I agree that back in the day when we ran dry clutches in our HD's, it was a good thing to blip the throttle to get things going right, but now, it is the wonderful sound coming from those pipes that we like to hear. Granted, my partner who runs Thunder headers is deaf in his right ear and who I make ride in back of me so's I don't have to be deaf too, is way over on the loud side, but my pipes are quiet, and I still like the sound of the engine. It's fun; sounds good to us, and the HD riders basically don't care what the sewing machine crowd thinks. You very rarely see threads of this nature about other bikes on their sites. They just aren't interested. Oh, and if you pin this all on HD you are misdirected as I am seeing just as many Japanese Cruisers with those pipes and blipping nowadays. How is that?

I like an HD with some throaty pipes (not straights). I like 50's and 60's muscle cars the same way. I like my car and my RT with quiet pipes. Just a sound thing for me, I don't care what brand is making the sound.

throaty pipe are one thing which I too like, but, specifically speaking to HD, there are some very ridiculously loud pipes that should be restricted to track use only. I live in a cul-de-sac and my neighbors night train two house down wasn't nice to hear at 5 in the morning. Thankfully, he moved to Chicago.

I can sympathize. I am curious as to why you specifically singled out HD in your OP though. Don't Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., etc., with ridiculously lound pipes bother you too?

imagine the money harley could make if they sold a mouth piece with the harley symbol on it? I can just see it now.....harley magazines showing their riders grining with an orange mouth piece.

Would that be considered HD oral bling? :dopeslap:

I don't even mind the blipping as much as the over revving in first gear and cutting the throttle to slow down with the lean/rich popping/blatting due to the poor match up between bolting on anything chrome and running it. There are a lot of good exhaust systems with some performance in mind. Other exhausts are made to look cool and chrome, no matter how poorly the bike runs. The noise (TOO loud) covers all makes. H/D's may be a larger percentage, but every idiot with an exhaust too loud should be ticketed.

Archived