IGNORED

I've been holding my breath for 6 weeks.

EffBee

I couldn't tell anyone what was going on. In fact, I was negotiating to change jobs.

Many of you know me as the Parts/Acc/Riderwear Manager for a SoCal BMW dealer. I've been there 6 years and we've worked hard to improve the dealership and build a team that's sharp, responsive, and willing to go the extra mile. I've also used that position to help hundreds and hundred of people on this board with parts or accessory questions, and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

Prior to Brown Motor Works I was (in approximate chronological order, starting with my earliest employer and skipping one or two I didn't like) an editor at Cycle World, a creative manager with Honda's ad agency, same at Kawasaki's agency, and then Director of Sales and Marketing for White Bros., as well as National Sales Manager for Helmet House. I've been blessed to spend most of my career in the motorcycle industry, and I've returned the favor by bringing growth and success to each position I've held.

For the past couple of years I've been talking with a company in the PNW. We sell their products at our dealership and we've casually discussed business and have become good acquaintances. The running joke was that they've suggested they needed someone like me to work for them and I've suggested that if they were serious they should make me an offer. Well, after two years of good-natured kidding, six weeks ago the first steps were taken. Now, after more than a few air miles, interviews and a fistful of e-mails, I've accepted the position of National Sales and Marketing Manager, Gerbing Heated Clothing.

I will be up in Olympia, WA, toward the end of August to start working there. My missus, the Lady Penelope, will finish her career with the school district where she's worked for 35 years, retire, and join me next year (although we'll fly back and forth MORE than a few times in the interim).

I will continue as a moderator here (if it pleases Les) and our home business, MotoEquip, will relocate with me.

I'm probably going to need some more waterproof gear than what I currently have. And I might be selling the FJR (haven't decided yet), and looking for something a bit lighter and less powerful (I'm told WA LEO's start getting serious at about 3-5 over!!!). And no more lane splitting. . .waaaaahhh!!!

In all, I'm very excited about this opportunity. Gerbing's has a great deal on the ball, since heated clothing is their core business. And there are many technological advancements coming from them, which is part of the reason I'm so jazzed. The future looks brighter than bright and their growth potential both within and outside the motorcycle industry, is virtually limitless.

I'm saddened, though, to leave Brown's, in particular Dave and Bob Brown who've treated me exceptionally well, and to leave the many customers whom I've come to know as friends. I'll also be leaving the warm winters, sizzling summers, and suffocating traffic of southern California, and learning to get used to mild summers and wet, colder winters. A touch of snow a few times each winter is a good thing, no? But since Penny and I had planned on retiring to Colorado, we'd better get a running start on those cold winters now.

I've shared the good news with my family, and now with my "family" here. I'm only relocating. I'm not leaving. And my heart is still here, with my friends.

Unfortunately, because of the timing of the move, I'm going to miss Fall Torrey. But I should be back in the spring, so Al, if you can find someone to share the middle cabin with, tell them it's a one-time deal only.

Aaaahhhhh. I can breathe again.

Firefight911

Congratulations Fernando. Gerbing's has no idea how lucky they are. Looking forward to your continued wisdom, etc.

Congratulations on the new chapter in your life. I know you are excited, as are we.

:clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations!!! Let me know when you get settled in up there and I will gladly pay you a visit and go riding....when you get a bike worthy of the area. I am going to miss you a great deal and a BIG thank you for all of your help; words cannot really express my gratitude....Gerbing will hopefully be grateful to have a person of such caliber with a high ethical code and work ethic. Thanks for introducing me to Brown's other classy guys/gals, though.

BTW, I am in John Day hoping (some might say 'praying') that my EWS doesn't fail.....

Again, congratulations!!!! And, again, I will miss you.

I'm happy for ya my friend!!!!

Thanks for sharin the news with us.

When and who should I call to get us outfitted with a new set of Gerbings??????

Do they(Gerbings) know how lucky they are?????????

Will ya still answer all our stupid Autocom questions?????

:grin:

Mr and and Mrs Whip

Whip you should know that the proper place to get outfitted in Gerbings gear would be your nearest Gerbing dealer. If you don't have one, then you can call the company direct.

As for lucky, we both are. I believe they know what they're getting in a performance-driven employee and I'm pretty sure what I'm getting in an employer. It's win/win.

Yes, I'll answer whatever I can regarding Autocom. But as my daily exposure to these issues fades, I'll become less and less useful (wait a minute, I'm starting to sound like my wife). Scratch that.

Uh, sure, uh, I'll answer your Autocom questions.

steve.foote

Good for you, Fernando. It sounds like a good move and one which should be very rewarding.

Nice part of the state. I spent nearly 30 years in the Seattle area but if I had to go back I would prefer to be down by olympia as it is a bit less hectic/crowded. Then again after where you are coming from Seattle won't seem too bad.

Rain gear is a must but year round riding is no problem in the PNW....lots of great roads to explore....

Congrats!!

Wow, congrats Fernando. Gerbings is a class act and located in one of the most beautiful places going. Best of luck to you in your new role.

Way to go EffBee. You'll love the PNW, especially if you can negotiate some time off in winter, when the rain is cooler than in spring and fall.

I love my Gerbings gloves and jacket. What a great product. And their customer service was super! Looks like you moved to a classy outfit.

I would like to thank Fernando for all the time, help and advice provided to so many Autocom customers for all these years and to me personally.

You are one of my greatest assets in the USA and as a big thank you from Autocom I want you to know that you will never want for the latest and greatest Autocom products so long as I am MD of Autocom Products Ltd.

I hope to have time to visit you on my next trip, till then my friend all the very best

Autocom-Tom

I'm quite sure Brown's is sadder that you're leaving, but as is the world of business, Gerbing scored a coup. I've never dealt with them, but everything I've read and heard says they are the paragon of class. You will only add to that reputation. Good luck.

Chris

Francois_Dumas

Wow ! Congratulations on the new job! No matter how good the previous one was, it is always a great feeling to start something new, afresh! I know it will re-energize you as much as anything!

Oh, and while you're at it, can you try and get them to advertise a little more in Europe? Gerbings are still a 'weird concept' around here and we're freezing our butts of every winter. Go figure ! :grin::dopeslap:

Personally I think the PNW is one of the nicest parts of the world, even with the rain and cold (hey, you got Gerbings !), so you could have done a lot worse :thumbsup:

Wishing you lots of success AND fun in your new job!

FRancois

Les is more

It pleases Les very much indeed that you stay on as an Admin here. yes, but especially that you are embarking on a new adventure. I have every confidence that you and Gerbing will both benefit greatly. Congratulations!!!!

bakerzdosen

Congrats man. There's not much else to be said that hasn't already been said, so I'll just also agree that I'm happy for you and wish you the best of luck.

Great news Fernando, I know you will be an asset to Gebrings and I wish you and your family health and happiness in your new home.

Best regards,

Andy

RichEdwards

Excellent, Fernando. Even us Floridians know what a good product Gerbings makes. The fact that they will now have you on their team further enhances their reputation.

Marty Hill

'Nando, Wow and congrats! Glad it happened, don't forget a couch for me in the new place. :grin:

See you next spring at the CW.

Fernando - it's good to know that now I can bug you not only about the autocom but Gerbings as well - :grin:

I'm happy you are happy.

Fernando,

That is great news.

Congratulations.

Beautiful part of the world and some very nice roads.

Will this mean more travel?

If so, might I suggest a "business" trip to Florida, perhaps around the time of Cedar Key, so you can demonstrate the Gerbings line?

I'll try to arrange for some cold weather. :Cool:

Fernando ... Congratulations on the new job, the new geography, your wife retiring, it all sounds great!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else,such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Wheels Rollin'

Sincere and heartfelt congratulations, Fernando... What a wonderful development for you... See? Good things come to those who wait... An' like so many things in life, timing is everything! <>...

~ Bill

Congratulations, Fernando! Those of us who see you "behind the scenes," here at BMWST.com, know how much hard work you put into everything you do. This sounds like a great opportunity. We all wish you the best!

Wow! That's just great news all around! All the best in your new life and career.

Before you're off ... I have this thing going on with my autocom and was wondering ...

Glad to hear about your new position. Nothing like a new challenge to keep you working hard and setting new goals.

Jerry_75_Guy

That is fantastic! :thumbsup: Congratulations Fernando!

The PNW is a beautiful area of the country; I'm sure you'll both love it there!

And working for Gerbings to boot? I've never heard anything but good about them; it sounds like it's going to be a great experience!

Congratulations Fernando!! That is great news for you and your family. We will certainly miss you down here in SoCal but will know we have a friend in Washington we can visit. You will have a spare bedroom won't you? Just kidding. I am sure you are floating on air right now. All the best.

Congrats! BUT...we'll definitely miss you around here!!

And who's going to lead the ride from Browns to Torrey now? End of an era, I say.

Good luck in the new job!

Well, hooray, Fernando. Any time you want to dry out the moss that'll grow in your ears you can come over to Yakima on the dry side of the hill. I look forward to going somewhere with you.

Pilgrim

And no more lane splitting. . .waaaaahhh!!!

You'll be missing that for sure, I'm here to tell ya. But at least you won't ever be cold riding in to work... :grin:

Excellent news. So Cal's loss.....PNW's gain. Sounds like a challenge that you are more than up to. Reading Francois post, it sounds like a trip to Europe might be necessary. :grin:

I trust there is one more blast to Julian before you go north?? :grin: Let me/us know! Let me be the first to say, "IN"

Thanks, Pilgrim. As they say, it's not the rain (Boston and Houston get more rain than Olympia). It's the almost endless overcast in winter. But I'm only 1.5 hrs. from the top of the Cascade ridge, where it's sunny on the other side. So now that you've got that FJR, if I keep mine, I may come over and we'll hoon for a while and sit and talk politics for a while. Always a pleasure with you.

Marco, there is one more Julian breakfast run. Sunday, 7/20. It leaves from Brown's at 6AM (or from my house), and meets up at the Mobil station on 79 South at 7AM. Be there!

Congrats! BUT...we'll definitely miss you around here!!

And who's going to lead the ride from Browns to Torrey now? End of an era, I say.

Good luck in the new job!

Nah, my first thought, after wow, Congrats, and now I have a little more insight into Fernando's great writing, was:

All Roads To Torrey Lead Through SLC!

Yeah, the northern part of the route will need some work, but the southern part is pretty well honed, right straight through Fairview Canyon and Sweeper Madness!.

Anyway, ya'll Californians are welcome (to us anyway) to Pied Piper it into SLC and ride into Torrey the right way, from the North. Well, as EffBee says, if it pleases him.

Congrats again EffBee!

Jan (Twisties on Bullett's computer).

Oh Man,, as old as you are that Gerbings family is screwed.

As soon as you get there you'll need time off for a colonoscopy .

Then your feet will be sore from haulin your big A$$ around all day.

Now the price of Gerbings items will have to go up to pay for all your Old Age induced medical problems.

I better call them and tell the even if your old your probably still worth the money they will have to doal out for your expertise.

Now we will be neighbors when The Wurty family moves to Emmett Idaho.

I will need Gerbings socks.. Get on that for me.

Love and good luck

Wurty

Couchrocket

Sure hate to lose you from our neck of the woods -- but what a wonderful opportunity, in a beautiful place to live.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis "many moons" ago, and I absolutely loved that part of Washington.

Congratulations to you!

And, as one of those many people you helped with advice in order to make wise purchases -- Thanks! :thumbsup:

DaveTheAffable

AP News-Olympia, Washington *

Gerbing's Heated Clothing, a motorcycle clothing manufacturer announced today they are on the cutting edge of a new technology for riders. Industry insiders report Gerbing's has a new vest that allows you to "feel" the sounds normally associated with a headset, while simultaneously piping warm air into the ears of the rider. Coincedently, Gerbings has a new Director of Sales and Marketing that has extensive experience with motorcycle audio systems. The company is exploring new sales slogans such as, "Feel the Sounds, and Hear the Warmth."

:clap:

Congratulations Effbee!

*(of course it's a joke, you numb skull)

beemerman2k

Congrats Fernando! Gerbings is an excellent company. I am very loyal to their products. I remember when I had a heated sock that no longer worked. I told a Gerbing rep and she told me right then and there to give her my bad sock and she'd gladly replace it on the spot! I did, and she did! Impressive.

Now my loyalty to this company is that much stronger. Congrats! And the best to you and your family.

Fernando,

Congratulations on the new job and new location. It was always great to talk with you on my visits to Browns. You always have good stories and great advice. You will be missed. SoCal needs more class acts like you. Hope it goes as well as you expect. :thumbsup:

Archived