IGNORED

Joe Horn has been cleared by a Grand Jury.

Fugu

Yup. Noting says "freedom to travel" more than being gunned down by a trigger happy neighbor who thinks you don't belong.

Yup. Noting says "freedom to travel" more than being gunned down by a trigger happy neighbor who thinks you don't belong.

Did you forget they were burglars who actually rushed towards Horn as he stood lawfully on his own property?

Did you forget that he was in no danger and voluntarily chose to confront them (in a situation that easily could and did escalate to deadly force) over a property crime?

I believe in gun ownership rights but this case is a pretty terrible poster child.

Did you forget they were burglars who actually rushed towards Horn as he stood lawfully on his own property?

1. How did he know? He didn't.

2. They didn't rush him. He rushed them as he went outside to shoot them (in defense of someone else's property) deliberately.

Did you forget that he was in no danger and voluntarily chose to confront them (in a situation that easily could and did escalate to deadly force) over a property crime?

He did nothing illegal.

He's said himself that he wishes he'd stayed inside that night, but he didn't break the law.

Don't like it? Change the law.

I believe in gun ownership rights but this case is a pretty terrible poster child.

Can't disagree there, but I'd much rather the system side with the lawful party as it did here.

I've seen cases of "mother leaves child in car" and "mother fails to properly belt child seat, child killed by air bag" not prosecuted because the mother has "paid enough".

We know what the law says now, but with that fact ignored for a moment - has Joe Horn not paid enough?

The criminals made their own beds.

1. How did he know? He didn't.

Horn heard them break glass and saw them climb through a window into his neighbor's home. Then they climbed out his neighbor's window with his neighbor's stuff.

2. They didn't rush him. He rushed them as he went outside to shoot them (in defense of someone else's property) deliberately.

That is not what the detective who witnessed the event said.

"The detective [who was an eyewitness -my note] confirmed that this suspect was actually closer to Horn after he initiated his run than at the time when first confronted,"

I'm afraid that bonehead actions like his will incent others to do just that.

Only if this was a case where the TX law about using deadly physical force in defense of property applied.

ed- the law on self defense is quite clear, and it's got very deep roots - it would take way more than Joe Horn to move a change on that.

Horn heard them break glass and saw them climb through a window into his neighbor's home. Then they climbed out his neighbor's window with his neighbor's stuff.

One more lesson: never lock yourself out of your house unless your neighbors know you well.

That is not what the detective who witnessed the event said.

Horn charged them when he left his house. And, as the line just before what you quoted said, one was already moving away from Horn in a diagonal.

I'll just note that unindicted doesn't equate to "didn't break the law." What more would a person expect from a grand jury filled with Texans?

russell_bynum

I'm afraid that bonehead actions like his will incent others to do just that.

That would be my concern.

I really like the way the laws about this sort of thing work in Texas, but it seems to me that this was a pretty extreme case...and exactly the sort of thing that leads the gun-grabbers to start requiring that every law-abiding person is a victim.

I'm glad things turned out the way they did, but I also think Mr Horn has very poor judgment. If he thought his neighbor was home and at risk, then that would be different, but going out of your way to confront two thugs with deadly force over property doesn't make much sense to me.

If he thought his neighbor was home and at risk, then that would be different, but going out of your way to confront two thugs with deadly force over property doesn't make much sense to me.

That's just because you moved from Texas to California.

Good month for the rights of citizens. First the Heller verdict, now Joe Horn has been cleared...
That's a disgrace, he should have been doing time.

Were they crab-people?

The fact that neither one of the burglars were shot from the front, makes it a little difficult to believe that they were running directly towards Joe Horn...

Shooting someone in the back doesn't exactly make you a hero....count me in the "glad I wasn't on the jury" camp.

I actually know someone that had a similar situation happen (he was the shooter) and he was convicted but the judge suspended his sentence. I testified at the trial as a character witness for him...only difference was he only wounded one of the people he confronted...and he never left his property....

russell_bynum
Good month for the rights of citizens. First the Heller verdict, now Joe Horn has been cleared...

For violating what law?

russell_bynum
If he thought his neighbor was home and at risk, then that would be different, but going out of your way to confront two thugs with deadly force over property doesn't make much sense to me.

That's just because you moved from Texas to California.

LOL! Probably so.

For violating what law?

"Ortiz and Torres died a short distance from Horn's house, both shot in the back."

Murder.

One more lesson: never lock yourself out of your house unless your neighbors know you well.

You climb OUT your own windows?

Horn charged them when he left his house.

He was in his own yard. He wasn't doing anything illegal. They were criminals fleeing a crime.

And, as the line just before what you quoted said, one was already moving away from Horn in a diagonal.

Of course if they'd put their hands up we wouldn't be talking about it.

What more would a person expect from a grand jury filled with Texans?

28 lbs of belt buckles?

He was in fear for his life. A reasonable person in his position knowing what he knew at the time would be in fear for his/her life. He was entitled to defend himself using deadly force in the eyes of the law. That's my opinion. It was my opinion before the grand jury came back. It's now reinforced by the grand jury no billing this. I've always maintained that while lawful, leaving his home wasn't great judgment but poor judgment isn't illegal.

russell_bynum

For violating what law?

"Ortiz and Torres died a short distance from Horn's house, both shot in the back."

Murder.

Not by Texas law.

For violating what law?

Murder.

Not by Texas law.

And, as I said, that's disgraceful.

He was in fear for his life.

Really? Actually he was sitting safely in his home on the phone with the police until he decided to grab a gun and go outside...

That's complete BS. If he was in fear for his life, he would have stayed inside and not told the operator he was going out.

He was entitled to defend himself using deadly force in the eyes of the law. That's my opinion. It was my opinion before the grand jury came back. It's now reinforced by the grand jury no billing this. I've always maintained that while lawful, leaving his home wasn't great judgment but poor judgment isn't illegal.

Again, a grand jury is not a decider of law.

Not by Texas law.

Let's not confuse Texas law with the decision of the grand jury.

What more would a person expect from a grand jury filled with Texans?
More common sense and better football? :clap:

28 lbs of belt buckles?

That too. :D

russell_bynum

Really? Actually he was sitting safely in his home on the phone with the police until he decided to grab a gun and go outside...

Yeah...I don't see how he could reasonably claim to be in fear for his life when he left the relative security and safety of his home to go outside in the dark away from cover or concealment to confront TWO (or more) probably-armed thugs on someone else's property.

The fact that neither one of the burglars were shot from the front, makes it a little difficult to believe that they were running directly towards Joe Horn...

Plenty of cops have been acquitted after shooting criminals in the back. The same mechanics are at work here.

As a cop you should know all about this. Are you trying to play dumb?

ghaverkamp

Yeah...I don't see how he could reasonably claim to be in fear for his life when he left the relative security and safety of his home to go outside in the dark away from cover or concealment to confront TWO (or more) probably-armed thugs on someone else's property.

Now I see. You're clearly confusing this with some other case.

According to a transcript of Horn's 911 call, which he made about 2 p.m., the operator repeatedly urged Horn to stay in his house, but Horn said he did not believe it would be right to let the burglars get away.

....which was not illegal.

Once he made that poor decision, he was confronted by two criminals who put him in reasonable fear for his life as defined in Texas (and many other states') law.

The standard for what's reasonable use of force doesn't say anything about lawful citizens having to stay in their homes for it to apply.

russell_bynum

Now I see. You're clearly confusing this with some other case.

Me?

How so?

Fugu's the one saying he was in fear for his life...I'm calling BS on that.

Not by Texas law.

You appear to be stuck thinking this was deadly force to protect property. It wasn't, contrary to what the media reports (because that's more interesting - new law by an evil Republican already causing problems...)

It was self defense, and the TX law mirrors that of many other states, including the one you and I live in. The laws on that are quite old and have withstood many challenges.

That's complete BS. If he was in fear for his life, he would have stayed inside and not told the operator he was going out.

That's your opinion.

You ever been in a similar pickle? What did you do?

Again, a grand jury is not a decider of law.

I didn't say that it was. I said I see it as reinforcing my opinion, which was formed well before the grand jury.

For violating what law?

Murder.

Not by Texas law.

+1

ghaverkamp

That's your opinion.

Of course it's my opinion. Whose would it be?

No. But I wouldn't have gone outside to murder two people like your hero.

What I was taught with respect to Texas law on the matter was that was that you have a 'duty to retreat' if possible before employing deadly force, i.e. if you can extricate yourself from the confrontation then that option must be used before applying deadly defensive force, and you may not use deadly force to defend property only. That is not the case in one's home or land however, and in that case there is not only no requirement to attempt to retreat from a confrontation but a pretty wide latitude in use of force, including deadly force, and this does include defense of personal property. And in the case of a confrontation in your home there probably isn't going to be a lot of attention paid to whether an intruder is shot in the front, back, or big toe.

So the question then is did this guy have a duty to retreat on his neighbor's property? Since he had been asked to watch it and had permission to be there apparently it was considered close enough to his own to come under that part of the statute, and in that case it is essentially open season for the reason described above. If they were on your property and committing a crime it doesn't really matter if they were a'comin or a'goin. The purpose of this is to allow one to defend one's home without fear of having the incident picked apart two years later in court.

So whether one agrees with the law or not it is possible to see in a technical sense why the grand jury decided as they did under a strict interpretation of the statutes.

russell_bynum

That's your opinion.

LOL!

I think that's the root of it. Maybe he was in fear for his life...after he left his house to go confront two probably armed thugs who weren't on his property.

Technically, he was probably within the law (which is why the case turned out the way it did), but I think we should use this as an example of what not to do, Mr Horn should be thankful that the law is so lenient, and those of us who are in favor of self-defense should hope that the gun-grabbers don't use cases like this against us.

My hero. Cute.

Bottom line is you have no idea what you would do. That's what's BS here. It's totally understandable that in your ignorance you think the way you do. Stop and consider how life has a wonderful way of reminding you that you really don't know squat. Apply it to this situation and hope you never find out.

The decision to go outside was not a good one, but it wasn't illegal. That doesn't mean Horn abdicates his right to self defense.

Here's the law..Joe Horn broke no law..I like the law..

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is

justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or

tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the

other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the

deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of

arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the

nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing

immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated

robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the

property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or

recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to

protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or

another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.

Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

That's your opinion.

LOL!

He's speculating as to what another man would have done if he was in fear for his life, stating it as though it's a fact.

Archived