IGNORED

Where's my .45 !!!!

Francois_Dumas

sorry and pissed to hear of the problem. something i think about all the time with my daughter away at college. not sure what i'd do in your situation. guess the LEO and judicial connections would be called upon to assist, if that's possible. do what you got to do and be careful.

russell_bynum
Frankly, I'm to the point where I'm scared to set foot in TX.

Why? Are you going to egg someone's house?

:grin:

Beyond the obvious things like adding locks and alarms, you may also consider talking to your daughter's landlord. If the guy that broke into her apartment lives in the same building as her, the landlord may be willing to get rid him based on what happened.

Yes. Evicting him may or may not be easy but given all the potential liabilities of this guy living under his roof the landlord would be well advised to get rid of him.

I can't believe the suggestions that the victim should move or have her life transformed... that task should go to the perpetrator.

Francois_Dumas
Beyond the obvious things like adding locks and alarms, you may also consider talking to your daughter's landlord. If the guy that broke into her apartment lives in the same building as her, the landlord may be willing to get rid him based on what happened.

Yes. Evicting him may or may not be easy but given all the potential liabilities of this guy living under his roof the landlord would be well advised to get rid of him.

That's what we will be trying. Problem is there IS no landlord... these are all purchased apartments, so he's a home owner like Vivian is. Nevertheless, that IS our course of action and we'll try and find ways of getting rid of the guy. First step is the home owners committee......

I am sorry this happened to your family. I have no solutions for you. Just having and showing a gun MAY have saved my life twice? and at best/worst saved me from a beating in each case from gangs. It could also have also gotten me killed, possibly by a policeman! I was tired of being beaten/robbed on previous occasions with minimal justice IMO involved. Some of the gang members were career criminals ( one record seven pages long with multiple crimes on each page!) with a murder (of anybody randomly) required for gang membership I was told by one policeman! One gang was all juveniles with the quick get out of jail card that provides (less than one week for putting one of my coworkers in the hospital). I personally think the world is insane! One of our faculty members was apparently raped once and her solution is to disarm everyone. Lots of luck with that! Plus no gun was used in her case???? If I were to publish your case to the other faculty here I would be in trouble for bring up unpleasant matters that offend I know!! I have also been told that I would have been in huge trouble if any of the gang members had pressed charges against me in the one case???? THANKS AMERICAN JUSTICE SYSTEM, I take care of me and mine myself now. I hope you work out something that provides your family with a peaceful life.

Francois,

The first deterrent is to make sure something happens outside the house before he gets inside the house. Motion sensor lights and/or alarms will usually cause the intruder to abort.

I am also a big proponent of a very well trained Doberman Pinscher, German Shepard or Rotweiler. I don't know of anyone who is likely to set foot in a house when he sees signs on the outside saying this house is protected by a watchdog.

If Vivian can take care of a pet, the neighbor and anyone else for that matter will not be eager to confront her.

A couple of strolls around the neighborhood with a dog like that and he'll get the idea.

Bruce

Francois_Dumas

Thanks everybody for your concerns !

Frankly, I wish I had this much 'success' with my other threads that deal with less sad topics :(

The dog most certainly would be a good deterrent.... only problem is HOW do you keep a large dog in a 36 sq meter apartment that also houses to BIG youngsters !!?? :/ (Apart from the fact it needs attention and they both work.... and it needs to EAT.... and they are still poor former students).

But having said that, Menno's mother trains dogs so perhaps they can 'host' one from time to time (IDEA! !! :thumbsup: ).

Update:

Yesterday two women (older one and a young one) rang at their door and asked if they could please walk through the house to enter the court with the gardens that's inside the city block.

Turns out they were the guy's mother and sister, worried about what had happened to him because he didn't reply phone calls !!!

When Vivian told them, first of all 'NO, you are NOT getting into or through my house!' and then what had happened, they're reactions was

".... oh thank God so he's not dead !".

Now this is odd, don't you think? It strengthens my belief that he's a 'problem guy' (most likely a junk AND a drunk) and his family knows about that!

We possibly can use that too against him in our efforts to make him 'persona non grata' in the area.

(... A good way to allow someone to act more violently towards another person is to de-humanize that person and mentally turn them into something that you’d feel okay using that kind of force against. (...)

Seems to me he dehumanized himself with his behavior.

steveknapp

'Course it has to be the right kind of dog...a cha-wow-wow (as my son calls it) won't work.

For me the benefit of the dog is they are good alarms. They wake up easily, bark, and make noise. The guy entering the house won't get as far without waking someone up. Trained attack dogs could be more liability. I don't know the laws.

The version of this that might not require house training is some simple alarms. We got a 4-pack from Fry's for 8USD. Just a magnetic switch and a loud beeper. The idea for us was to know if/when David tries to open a door outside, but the intended purpose is as a cheap alarm. Nothing fancy, but it sounds like this guy isn't the smartest tool in the shed either.

Regardless you need to go from waking up to the guy over you, to waking up a few seconds earlier.

The other bit I've heard is to force vomiting on the guy. Theory being that for even the most twisted folks it's still a big "turn off".

If it's any consolation, about the only one of those things you can't do that you could do here is put his name online.

That, and (at the time of the incident) shoot him.

No problem with the open institution or shopping trips since he wouldn't serve time.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened Francois.

Your family has been through a traumatic event, I hope all considers talking with a counselor if needed.

I've vowed to stay out of the gun threads, so I'll limit my comments to expressing that my thoughts are will all of you.

Archived