IGNORED

Favorite Oil

Well, Parts of it were fun to read. As for the rest--it looks as though some people need to reread the User Agreement.

Tease a noob for an oil post? Sure. We've all been there. Demean, name call, belittle or insult each other? Not on this DB.

Good thing he doesn't ride a Harley! Insert little laughing guy we used to have here.

Paul Mihalka

"Insert little laughing guy we used to have here."

I should be the last guy to give advice on posting, but you can find most of the smilies by clicking on the "reply" square, not on the "quick reply", and then click on the smile in the top row of characters :Cool::):clap::D:dopeslap::/:grin::thumbsup::wave: and more.

KingBiscuit

I hate to sound stupid, I know...too late, but I thought Rotella T was primarily used for diesel engines...is there more than 1 flavor? I always liked Rotella for my diesel on the boat and would try it on the R1150RT, assuming I know what to look for.

Thanks,

Dan

The lashing out at Newbies for oil or whatever threads is significantly more lame than the newbie's question and it takes up a whole bunch more time and bandwidth.

How about if we don't like the question, we just ignore it? (hmmm, seems like that may be a repeat as well)

BTW, who is everyone voting for in the upcoming election anyway?

stonkers441

BMW stuff. Every time I adjust the valves, I remember the crap that used to leak out of my BSA. Usually a black, watery substance. I think it was Castrol. The BMW oil is like honey.

I hate to sound stupid, I know...too late, but I thought Rotella T was primarily used for diesel engines...is there more than 1 flavor? I always liked Rotella for my diesel on the boat and would try it on the R1150RT, assuming I know what to look for.

Thanks,

Dan

Same stuff, works great.

The only thing that has kept me away from Rotella and the diesel oils is that they don't meet BMW's requirement (for the oilheads) for a 50-weight oil in temperatures above 90F. How critical that is I don't know, but FWIW...

KingBiscuit

I did a bit of checking and found that Rotella makes a 5 - 40 synthetic in addition to their regular Rotella T.

Is the Synthetic what you are using?

Thanks,

Dan

KingBiscuit

Thanks for the update...next change, I might switch to that. Do you need to fill, then run for a bit, drain and then refill when switching?

Thanks for the update...next change, I might switch to that. Do you need to fill, then run for a bit, drain and then refill when switching?

No you do not need to do that

Darn, late to the party, again!

I hope you are still around and reading this thread.

First of all, welcome to the forum. I gotta tell ya that when I first posted here, I couldn't figure out the sub forums and my posts were being moved on a regular basis and I kind of bitched to Momma Hoon (now the owner of the board) that I was just gonna go away. (run on sentence)

But after a while I figured things out. Since then I've attended a couple of UN Rallies, met some of the members, had a few to lunch and dinner at our house and found out that they are just like you an me (well maybe more like you than me because I can be kind of grouchy at times).

And m/c oil can be kind of like a religion to some. I'm a heretic in that regard. I think good enough is good enough and use Fram filters (and I'm the only one here doing so, or at least the only admitting that I do) and change oil at 6K, not 3K miles. Then again I'm a "wet" Methodist who has a beer from time to time and wine is always good.

Give us another chance and we will try to do better.

I have been using Mobil 20w50 V-twin since 02, but I have found it hard to find around here (only at auto zone) and the price is way too high. I use the rotella 5w40 in my work van and it works great. I thought it was a little thin for hot Oklahoma weather. Maybe I will switch to the dino Rotella. I think I seen it as a 20w40, or was it 20w50. Killer????? Your opinion??? Since you live up north.

ShovelStrokeEd

Ralph, I wouldn't worry about the synthetic in 5W40. At least not about the heat. Typically, synthetic oils handle heat better than their equivalent dino components. The 5W part means it will be thinner when cold, is all but, in OK in the summer, it will never get cold. The 40 part is the hot value and there isn't all that much difference between 40 and 50 anyway.

I run this stuff in my Blackbird all the time.

I wonder if the 5 wt. oil would make the motor noisier? And if it had the proper additives as the BMW recommendations For the twin? I remember putting a lighter wt. shell oil in my harley years ago & it sounded like it was falling apart.

Well I guess I'm going to be in the minority but I think that a 5W-40 oil may be a little on the light side for an oilhead operated in hot weather. Will it cause death and destruction, or for that matter any problem at all? Probably not, but all the same I'd stick with a 15W-50.

Well I guess I'm going to be in the minority but I think that a 5W-40 oil may be a little on the light side for an oilhead operated in hot weather. Will it cause death and destruction, or for that matter any problem at all? Probably not, but all the same I'd stick with a 15W-50.

I agree and we both may be wrong. :wave:

I can't tell any difference between dino, BMW synth and Rotella synth as far as engine noise or performance goes. The synthetic oils seem to prevent the bike overheating in traffic jams on really hot days, or else they don't register the temp correctly on the RID...

signalhillbeemer

I have been using 15/50 bmw synthetic and have been using excessive oil, I took the bike to a track day and it seems to have improved a bit since switching to the synthetic.

You didn't list your mileage on the bike, but I'm guessing that your rings may not be fully worn-in. If this is the case, it makes sense that the track day helped, as it was probably more aggressive hammering on the throttle than you'd do on the street.

Many members of the board report that their BMWs consume oil for 10,20, 30K miles plus, until they give it the "Italian Tune-up" - that is, take it out and hammer on it for a little while (high speed, high rpm, let the engine make some heat) to really seat the rings.

More than one person here has reported that this take the bike from "uses a quart or more per oil change" to "doesn't use a drop".

YMMV

Little Joe
I have been using Mobil 20w50 V-twin since 02, but I have found it hard to find around here (only at auto zone) and the price is way too high. I use the rotella 5w40 in my work van and it works great. I thought it was a little thin for hot Oklahoma weather. Maybe I will switch to the dino Rotella. I think I seen it as a 20w40, or was it 20w50. Killer????? Your opinion??? Since you live up north.

Ralph,

I get my Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin at Walmart.

BTW, with the added life claimed for synthetic, is it still necessary to change every 6K miles?

Hilarious!
oops - sorry - wrong thread!!!

Now that is hilarious.

And welcome to the forum. You will fit right in here.

I use amsoil motorcycle 20W-50, change it every year regardless of mileage and ride all year. It doesn't get cold enough in the winters here in the NW to worry about keeping it in the bike. I would use 10W-40 Amsoil if I were subjected to long term freezing weather.

By the way this post has been a lot of fun to read, but I think we need to give the new guy a break and answer his question before we start with the jokes.

Ralph,

I get my Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin at Walmart.

BTW, with the added life claimed for synthetic, is it still necessary to change every 6K miles?

Wally World hasn't sold V-twin around here for a few years now. Not sure why they quit though.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I also use Castrol GTX 20-50 or any good quality oil that meets the specs in the owners manual. There are many good oils out there and at least as many opinions.

Caution:

These Oil thread have been know to Cause World Wars!

Oil is Oil...But I've been running Royal Purple now in all my vehicles. 20W50 Car Stuff. I don’t bother with the premium prices “Bike Oils”

Gear oil is supreme as well..GL5 75W90 Smoooth shifts! Even in my old crappy 4 speed gearbox in my Old Shovelhead, what a difference in shifting!

My 2cents only…

Tomas

Dave_zoom_zoom
I use amsoil motorcycle 20W-50, change it every year regardless of mileage and ride all year. It doesn't get cold enough in the winters here in the NW to worry about keeping it in the bike. I would use 10W-40 Amsoil if I were subjected to long term freezing weather.

By the way this post has been a lot of fun to read, but I think we need to give the new guy a break and answer his question before we start with the jokes.

Hey PapaJ

Your entire post makes good sense to me!

I'm very happy with Amsoil 20w-50 M.C. oil in the summer & use the Amsoil 10w-40 M.C. oil through the winter. Mobile 1 would probably be my second choice.

And yes, for many of us, when first posting we can feel a little sensitive about the replys we may get. Sooo those that have been around a while might save thier humor for another time when it can be better appreciated. (which I do appreciate)

Dave

I reckon this is as close to an ADV Rider Jo Momma "light" thread as I've seen on the BMW Sport Touring site.

It's only missing a few "f'n N00b" references and a "fyyff" and it would be complete.

What oil do you prefer in your R1150?

Welcome 0008 :grin:.........Look at the legs this thread has and after the initial dust settled (accompanied by some red ears and sharp tongues) it's a good one.... !!!!!!.......Good goin' and congratulations.... :thumbsup:........

Archived