IGNORED

Favorite Oil

I know another oil expedition but what the heck.... and welcome to the best BMW board on the planet...

Motul 4000

George Brown

I don't have an 1150 but my favorite for any engine is whatever is in the crankcase. With metallurgy what it is tody, I don't think it matters very much as long as something's present.

Urban Surfer

I like wintergreen oil for my back pain, olive oil for cooking, (not Popey's wife)

Any way what kind of shoes do you wear?

What Andy said.

Oil is a bit like religion, everyone has their own beliefs, and few people succeed in changing another person's mind about it.

If you get 100 responses here (and you probably won't because this subject has been talked to death) you'll be more confused that when you started!

But for the record - Castrol GTX 20W-50.

I would like to thank those who replied to my oil question, I am new to this forem and consider my fellow BMW riders to be a step above the usual motorcycle clicks, crotch rocket/ cruiser. I see however that there are assholes even here, if you donot like my post, why bother to read it, yet alone take the time to make a stupid comment. What is this troll bullshit, are you 10 years old? does your daddy know you are playing with the computer? To you, Blow Me!

I think there was a lot of kidding and sarcasm going on here. Try not to take it personally. By the way, I am not making excuses for anyone. Heck, I ask silly questions on occasion and believe it or not the members still answer them (now that is an opening). Grab a beer and forget 'bout it.

What is this troll bullshit, are you 10 years old? does your daddy know you are playing with the computer? To you, Blow Me!

Um, er, "Blow Me"! Age reference? Seems a contradiction.

Chill Bro!

Blow Me!

Probably not the best way to make friends here...

The point I think some people were trying to make (albeit not really well), is that some subjects, on most any Internet forum anywhere, about most any topic/subject are asked and answered over & over. And on some of them, 'best oil?' being a perfect example, there is no real answer anyway.

Better might be to when joining a new on-line group spend some time searching to see if your question has been asked and answered before.

Anyway, don't go away mad, don't even go away. Spend some time here and I suspect overall you find it's a pretty darn friendly and helpful bunch.

Urban Surfer

I could send you a vast array of information about oil if you like. In the end it's all up to your personal preference.

What Andy said.

<>

But for the record - Castrol GTX 20W-50.

That's contradiction according to the BMW dealer I bought my bike from...

Hey, let's talk about zddp - it must be, what - days!

gerg.gif

I would like to thank those who replied to my oil question, I am new to this forem and consider my fellow BMW riders to be a step above the usual motorcycle clicks, crotch rocket/ cruiser. I see however that there are assholes even here, if you donot like my post, why bother to read it, yet alone take the time to make a stupid comment. What is this troll bullshit, are you 10 years old? does your daddy know you are playing with the computer? To you, Blow Me!

Hey any forum I have every been on this kind ofstuff happens. Is one is one ofthe better,Iam soory that youare so angry.Thanksforyourpost It reminds me to be alittle more nice when I post

Sorry for the blow me comment, I know better. I just felt that if my post is not worth your time, why bother to post a sarcastic responce to my post. Yes I have searched for previous posts on the subject and I had alittle trouble finding what I was looking for. I know Oil is a frequent question by new members and it gets redundant, but this is a motorcycle forum and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to share here. I just wanted to know what oil you prefer, I know what the owners manual says, I run Motul in my other bikes and like what it does for smoothing out the shift quality. Thanks

I think the response goes beyond just posting for a topic that's often discussed.

You may know this already, so I don't want to insult your intelligence. An "oil thread" is a particularly dirty phrase in motorsports and automotive forums, because they typically bring out the "trolls" - people who have nothing better to do than to sit about and debate/discuss the fine minutiae, quote pseudo-science, and generally talk about how their dog is better than your dog. It's a Coke and Pepsi debate...a pro-life / pro-choice debate. As they say, winning an Oil Thread debate is like winning in the Special Olympics - either way, you're still retarded.

Certain topics evolve into "oil threads" (on this forum, some recent ones are threads about K&N filters, helmet usage, and, well...oil) somewhere along the way, and at the point, the ratio of signal to noise goes waaaaaaaaaaay down.

So, specifically, when someone posts an Oil Thread (and it don't get no more Oily than when this one started), you're going to get about 20 people going "here we go again."

Unfortunately, I think you took the response a little bit personal. In actuality, the smart-a$$ed responses posted were more for the benefit of those that like to Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif , and less against you.

Please don’t take the responses too seriously here. I recall one of the first posts I made on this forum a few years ago….. From some of the responses received, I thought the people were a little on the cruel side. Especially for an idiot like myself who was not as two wheel savvy as I could be. As time went on, I discovered that everyone was just having fun, and no bad feelings were intended. Kind of like having your brother (or sister) telling you that you look fat. As you’ll find out, there are all types of characters present.

In other words, welcome to the site. Chill out and get ready to transfer knowledge in both directions, and meet some great people along the way.

By the way, what kind of bike do you have? We’d like to see it in your “signature”.

oh, and I'll use pretty much whatever oil meets the specs in the owners manual (I'm cheap).

Cheers,

Mobil 1 in R1100RT.

AHHHH!!!! I can't help myself! I have to post.....OIL!!! :dopeslap:

...Make sure it is "Red Cap" 15w/50...It has the zddp Killer was mentioning....

Phew!!!!!! NOW I feel better! :wave:

ElevenFifty

I run Motul in my other bikes and like what it does for smoothing out the shift quality

BMW 11xx (and most other models) are dry clutch machines ... that means you can use any automotive oil you want, BUT it will not have any effect on the 'shifting'.

As a newbie I always like these kinds of inquiries....and it got more response than my recent "what to do about a leaking tire" question.

So you don't feel any more left out, patch it, plug it, put more air in it, replace the valve, replace the tire, use nitrogen,

trade the bike. There, now you know.

Now, how come bike tires wear so much on the left side? Oh, never mind.

So you don't feel any more left out, patch it, plug it, put more air in it, replace the valve, replace the tire, use nitrogen,

trade the bike. There, now you know.

Now, how come bike tires wear so much on the left side? Oh, never mind.

The question that gets repeated at my house is: "Honey, have you seen where I left my keys?"

Mobil 1 in R1100RT.

AHHHH!!!! I can't help myself! I have to post.....OIL!!! :dopeslap:

...Make sure it is "Red Cap" 15w/50...It has the zddp Killer was mentioning....

Phew!!!!!! NOW I feel better! :wave:

I thought red and SILVER were okay... GOLD... Gold is the bad zddp cap right? Right? :dopeslap:

What about externalizing that fuel filter? :/

Rick

<><

How often should I change the air in my tires?
You only need to change the oxygen, the nitrogen is inert.

If you fill your tire with pure nitrogen, you never have to change out the stale oxygen.......Just make sure it is the BMW certified dry nitrogen......Otherwise, you have to drain the water occasionally.

Even though I use GN2, I still swap it out in the summer and winter.

I understand the oil weight ex. 20-50 is seasonal, but no one has mentioned the minimum specs as in bmw oil has the letters SG. Does it matter? When purchasing bmw syn for my auto, I was told that the oil is by castrol. Any feedback on that. I see a list for comparable oil filters, but what is the one I want for a 2003 RT. thanks

"So ends the lesson..." :cry:

Not quite........What goes in the "710" hole and where do I get it?

710.jpg[/img]

Phil..........Redbrick

Please don't apologize for the "Oil-Thread" elitists... you see, they're smarter than the rest of the riding public, guys like you and me. These are the guys that get their rocks off by trying to make other guys look foolish for asking legitimate questions. You see, when they put you down, in their mind they are that much bigger/smarter. Most of these guys are the same guys that will tell you to go down to Wal-Mart and buy Quaker State Automotive Oil for your bike because, "it's just as good as motorcycle specific oil". Oh, and by the way, they'll tell you to pick up a Fram oil filter as well. Why, you might ask? Because they're cheap! You're right, don't listen to these assholes. Do yourself a favor and purchase any reputable brand of motorcycle specific fully-synthetic engine oil, such as: Amsoil, Mobil-1, Motul, Redline, Castrol, BMW/Spectro, whatever. The reason you want a motorcycle specific oil is because these manufacturers put in very specific additive packages specifically for conditions most motorcycles will encounter. Why synthetic? among other benefits, fully-synthetic oils have a much higher "flash-point" than conventional oils. An oil-head is basically an air cooled engine. Consequently, if your bike is not moving or idling, the engine temperature will increase significantly. Have you ever seen Harley-Shriners at a 4th of July parade, idling along for an hour or so in 95 degree heat? The high engine temperature is breaking down their oil... so what do you think that heat is doing to their air-cooled engines? Why do you think they trade their bikes in every two or three years? For the few extra bucks, synthetic oil is well-worth it, in my opinion.

You're right, don't listen to these assholes.

Quite opinionated I must say. These are the same assholes that have answered some of your questions in the past.

"you see", I don't see much contributing on your part, you see.

Thanks, everybody. This thread is fun to read. I didn't learn squat, but it reminds me of my mother in the backyard picking a fight with the neighbor!

I'm trying used cooking oil in my RT. Doesn't run any better, but sure does smell good!

Les is more

Well, Parts of it were fun to read. As for the rest--it looks as though some people need to reread the User Agreement.

Tease a noob for an oil post? Sure. We've all been there. Demean, name call, belittle or insult each other? Not on this DB.

Slyder_Steve

710.jpg[/img]

Thanks Phil,

I haven't laughed that hard in a while--do I need a 710 cap? Where do I get one?

As for which oil do I prefer? Well "I" prefer Mobile 1. I can get it just about anywhere (even Wallyworld--sorry Ken) and it meets my needs.

Slyder

Yup, goofy thread for sure, yet it is a valid concern. If one lives, and rides year round in "Northern" climates, one can benefit to changing to 5/40 synthetic (or so) during the "colder" months. (Nov-Feb). I did just that in the K this last season. Sure starts easier when it's "freezing". Changing to 20-50 during the "warmer" season(s) is usually what "eye" do. Even in the cage, usually run 10-40 fall/winter, 20-50 spring/summer. Usually any "normal" oil will be fine..just change it frequently. The K bike has had oil changes on an average of 2500mi or so over it's "life". NTS: Time to do that again!

Where I live, if it is cold enough for 15/50 Mobil 1 to be to thick, there is ice on the ground everywhere. I worry about wrecking more than cranking. Glad it works for you, but I keep all the single tracks in the garage anytime the oil is too thick for an easy start.

Castrol R4, recommended by BMW! I did like Amsoil but it's to much trouble to buy. Distributors only, so you have to find one then makes arrangements to buy it. R4 will be pretty much at any bike shop. Insert little thumbs up icon we used to have here.

Archived