IGNORED

Saw my first 1200RT on the road today!

Couchrocket

Yes, which is why our busiest moderator (writing reports all day) is a Ph.D. psychologist. He really is!

Quote from a '50s motorcycle movie poster: "They hunt down their prey with a half ton of hot steel between their legs!" Yeah, I had to say it... grin.gif

I have noticed so many posters who reject outright the possibility of even considering purchasing these bikes, based solely on the highly subjective visual impressions they have gotten, many only from pre-release photos, rather than even consider the bikes based on its superiority over previous models in so many areas.

You mean some folks only want bikes they consider beautiful? I'll alert the media! grin.gif

Mark Twain once said, "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."

It seems you cannot discuss this, or let others voice their views, without you resorting to using insults..................

Read his statements again, please. There's nothing at all insulting about his arguments. thumbsup.gif

And if I, rather than provide an actual input to the topic of the discussion, chose to rather take the tact of ‘personalizing it', telling you - "you have all the emotional development of a 15 year old pimple faced high school kid", - or assailing your differing views as being "particularly immature', you would not take it as an insult.....................??

If it wasn't an insult, then he had no reason to apoligise for it then, did he?

Can you please explain why did he feel it appropriate to apologise for it then???????

Or are you saying that these sorts of personal snubs and ad hominem attacks are now accepted on your site?

Gary

smile.gifsmile.gif

You mean some folks only want bikes they consider beautiful? I'll alert the media! grin.gif
Yah.......It seems many 'bikers' seem to prefer, and settle mainly for ‘flash’ over ‘content’.

However, those who are serious about how their motorcycles perform as 'motorcycles' would have a hard time settling for such incomplete need fulfillment.....

Sizzle sells the steaks, but a ‘good steak’ has more than just sizzle…….

Gary

smile.gifsmile.gif

This whole issue leave me torn.

On one hand buying a bike for approval isn't a good thing.

But on the other hand, this has often been called an on-road on-line community. It's easy to type about how much ya hate something, or how ugly it is...but I wonder how many would do that in person? A big mob at the next event that walks over to a 1200RT and starts ripping it apart. That's just not friendly, is it? And if you were on that bike, would you want to meet these people?

It's easy to type about how much ya hate something, or how ugly it is...but I wonder how many would do that in person?
You should try riding a KLR650!

I have told a number of GS owners that I don't like the way it looks, the thing is that it's an opinion about the bike not a judgement of the owner.

I guess it boils down to is, some people value appearances far more than substance..............

Yah.......It seems many 'bikers' seem to prefer, and settle mainly for ‘flash’ over ‘content’.

If you don't like people making veiled insults concerning other's aesthetic preferences, perhaps you should examine your own comments?

But on the other hand, this has often been called an on-road on-line community. It's easy to type about how much ya hate something, or how ugly it is...but I wonder how many would do that in person?

That's a good point. Most of us would not say such things to a guy sitting on his new 1200RT, because it would be unkind.

You know, prior to the critique of the discussion itself, this thread sounded a lot like the discussion on the showroom floor as folks were looking at the new RT. The sales staff said that the RT was "starting to grow on folks" and "not quite as ugly after you live with it for a while".

I think the showroom and this forum are appropriate are appropriate venues for discussions like this. If not here, where?

Performance is obviously THE critical ingredient in the ownership mix but, for me, the exceptional beauty of the 1150 was and is a powerful purchase motivator. Silly or not, marketing guys will tell you that's the norm. In fact, I think performance-independent factors drive many (not all) BMW sales. The reality is that, in most categories, my 1150RT doesn't compare very favorably with the less expensive, more powerful, lower maintenance, faster, smoother, nimble-handling Yamaha FJR. I still prefer my RT - but it's difficult to articulate why that is. If you look at the capabilities, cost, and service needs on paper, the Yamaha looks like the only rational choice....yet here we are - happily.

Couchrocket

Jeeze.... you guys are making me sorry I started this warped (and woofed?) thread. It was supposed to be funny. eek.gif

Jeeze.... you guys are making me sorry I started this warped (and woofed?) thread. It was supposed to be funny. eek.gif
Oh, it was, it was... just maybe not in the way you intended... grin.gif
I guess it boils down to is, some people value appearances far more than substance..............

If you don't like people making veiled insults concerning other's aesthetic preferences, perhaps you should examine your own comments?

Exactly.

Now back to beemerman2k. He did make an insulting comment. He apologized. From there he was not insulting.

What a bunch of useless drama this is. Sometimes I'm left in amazement at the lather we can work up about nothing.

Shall we discuss the looks of the bike without creating a new reality TV show for Fox, folks?

Thank you. cool.gif

I would think some good-natured digs have always been part of any community.

However, the line is crossed when, instead of good-natured discussion with vague and general references to questionable priorities, it becomes specifically demeaning and personally insulting.

Gary

smile.gifsmile.gif

He did make an insulting comment. He apologized. From there he was not insulting.

So instead of saying - "you have all the emotional development of a 15 year old pimple faced high school kid" - I can instead re-phrase it to call you - "particularly immature", without risking any insult to you?

Right.....

Gary

smile.gifsmile.gif

He did make an insulting comment. He apologized. From there he was not insulting.

So instead of saying - "you have all the emotional development of a 15 year old pimple faced high school kid" - I can instead re-phrase it to call you - "particularly immature", without risking any insult to you?

Right.....

Gary, let's move on from this, please.

Right.....

Gary, let's move on from this, please.

Hey David..Hey David... At times like this it's a good bet that you miss the posts of Jim Vonbaden and RockLives dopeslap.gif

Archived