IGNORED

Problems with Cee Bailey?

motorman587

This is very disappointing. I was just about to order a windshield from Cee Bailey when I read this thread. I am now having second thoughts. The last thing I want to deal with is a windshield that is warpped, has misaligned holes, etc. I notice many of the posts were from earlier this year. I am hoping things have improved at Cee Bailey since then. Has anyone ordered from them recently? If so, how was the product quality and customer service?

I had a CB windsheild and headlight protector on my R1150RT and everything fit fine. I also have CB bag liners for the same bike and I really like them. They don't fit well in the new R12RT cases so I ordered new CB liner bags that have yet to arrive. I also ordered a new CB headlight protector for the new bike. We'll see how everything fits when it gets here.

As to CB's customer service, judging by many of the comments I've read on the board both in this thread and in the past, I think CB could use a little help. Maybe they should look at Southwest Airlines business model. Anyone who has flown SWA knows that it is economy service and less expensive than most airlines. What makes SWA unique is their outstanding customer service. All of the employees are happy and many of them have a great sense of humor. They go out of their way to make sure the customer is number one. They all have great attitudes. There is a reason they are one of the top rated airlines and it isn't just because they are inexpensive.

BTW, I have no relationship with SWA other than being a very satisfied customer.

Al

I bought a #3.5 euro last winter here in FL and while the shield is ok, I would have liked it about 1-1.5" shorter. I asked if they could/would do anything with ether my shield as a partial return or as a credit toward a shorter one and was left hanging.

the shield is as, I said, ok but it doesn't fit nearly as well as I would have expected it to based on other's reports.

I finally recieved my Cee Bailey windshield today 9/2.

I ordered it 8/2. First they send a shield with the holes mis-aligned. Returned to them so they could see the problem. I was told I was the 9th person that this has "happened" to. Not a horrible expierence but kind of a pain in the a$$. If I'm the 9th person who has had a problem with an 04' model, you would think they would have it together by now.

Now that the shield is installed I'm satisfied.Much quieter and less wind on my head.

FWIW ... I also had problems with Cee Bailey's sending me two bad windshields for my '04 RT in June. Both didn't fit (both had bottom holes too far apart). I got my money back, but it took me about a month. frown.gif I now have an AeroFlow that I am satisfied with. smile.gif

I've ordered 2 windshields from CB about 10 mo. ago. I bought a #2 +4" and a std. +4" and 1.5" wider, the both fit fine. Maybe I purchased before his growing pains started.

Maybe I purchased before his growing pains started.

His growing pains must have started very early!!! I had problems with the fit with an early #1 shield ordered back when he first started doing RT's. I should have sent it back but didn't. I modified the holes to make it fit. On the bike the top looked good but the bottom edge was cut / bent wrong and never looked right on the bike. After a year I switched to a Parabellum and the CB went to the local dump when I moved to Calif. I'm still using the Parabellum.

Stan

I have a #2 +3 1/2" and it fit perfectly and is truly a much higher qulity than the stock BMW shield. It does a great job of protecting the rider too. I received this product two months ago and it is on an '04.

I have a CB Eurocut #2 on my bike and it fit just fine -- glad I bought it! It's on my '04RT, and is light grey tinted (looks nicer than stock IMHO).

Good luck!

WyreNut

Got my #2 Eurocut today and it fits perfectly and works great! I can breathe easy again. thumbsup.gif

It was a great choice. It's much quieter and offers much better protection. IMHO it looks sharper than the original though TOWMBO said "it looks nice but I wouldn't say it looks nicer" I'm glad she's not that tough on my looks! grin.gif

Thanks Happy. I guess this is a bit of a crap shoot. I will call CB Thursday or Friday and give it a shot. I sure hope it works out well...I will be so disappointed if it the holes don't line up, or it's warpped, etc. I will let you know how it goes.

You've got to believe that the majority of people are happy and get what they order. It's always the negative that we hear about. That's not to say that the negative shouldn't be brought up or the warnings heeded but most likely as a consumer your odds are probably pretty good. The one that needs to pay attention to it most is the owner. One negative comment is as powerful as 100 positive comments. Perhaps more. It's always painful to hear about unhappy customers but it's through their comments that we learn. Sounds like Steve has been listening and I wish him all the best. I'll take another shot next time I need something from him. In the mean time; thanks for the great windshield Steve! I'm glad I didn't need to go to another mfg.

Hi,

Recently purchased and installed a #2 Euro (light gray tint) on my 2004 R1150RT. I ordered it 2" wider and 3 1/2" taller than stock.

It looks GREAT on the bike -- from a distance. But here is my concern.

There is an area about 5" from the very top that 'distorts' my view.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Cee Bailey's.

I was told several things:

1.) they don't expect people to look through the windshield, they expect them to look OVER the windshield

2.) the distortion is normal -- it happens whenever glass is bent/curved

I'm feeling EXTREMELY frustrated right now and I could sure use some advice.

First of all, when I ordered this windshield, I intended to look through it (at times). Am I crazy for thinking this? Do MOST riders look OVER and not through the windshield?

Second, is it normal to have some distortion about 5" below the very top of the windshield, and is this OK?

The bike is 2 years old and I've ridden just 1,600 miles -- so please forgive me if I come across as a newbie.

Thanks!

Glen

Yes most riders look over their windshield. The Shield creates an envelope that as you adjust your shield up or down varies where the edge of the envelope is. The distortion you speak of sounds as if it is across the curve of the upsweep of the shield and it has been my experience that there is some distortion there as the plexi is bent... as a result it will curve the light / view passing through it.

Haven't delt with CB recently but but bought a #2 Euro cut and headlight cover a couple of years ago. Pleased with both and happy with customer service. Did not like the three piece headlight cover and returned it for a one piece with no problems.

This is slightly off topic but I am also considering a CB windshield. How tall are you? I am 5'9" and ride with the seat in lowest position. Do you think I should go with a standard height or put some inches on it?

Thanks

ben

I'm 5'8" and ride with the seat in the midle position. I look over the shield and find the #2 Eurocut to be perfect for my height. Of course body and leg length do make a difference. If your 5'9" and in the low seat position I would expect your legs are shorter than mine (hard to believe smirk.gif) and your body height to be taller and perhaps a little taller wouldn't be bad for you. I would tend toward the shorter side though unless you plan on looking thorugh the shield instead of above it.

I am just about 6'0" -- probably a little taller with Timberlands on (which is what I usually wear when I ride).

I have been riding with the seat in the lowest position since I took delivery.

I have heard that raising it provides a slightly more comfortable riding position, but I am concerned about losing contact with the ground when I stop for a light (or traffic, or whatever) -- especially if there's some sand or gravel on the ground.

Anyone else out there around 6'0"? If so, do you have the seat at the lowest, the middle, or the top position? And have you experienced any issues keeping the bike itself upright when you stop?

Thanks again!

Glen

Ditto, 6' tall and the seat is in the lowest position. Tried the middle position and found it good on the road, but once stopping it didn't make me feel secure enough. It could be a fall over if there was a dip in the road and my toes didn't touch the road with the seat in the middle position. The stock windshield also works better with the seat in the lowest position..

I ordered a CB #2 Eurocut +2 a couple of months ago and I have been very happy with it. I received it fairly quickly and everything lined up just right. It did come out of the box with a fairly significant scuff on the side, but I was so happy to get it that I never complained or sent it back. Scuff's add character, right?

I am 5'8", seat in the lowest position and I am glad I didn't ordered it any taller. I think it works great and I rarely raise it all the way up. I also have an Aeroflow that also works great (maybe even better) but I find it too thin. At speed it flexs a lot and I find it distracting.

Mike

HIJACK!

I'm just a tad under 6'...ride with the seat in the highest position. Can't flat-foot it, can just about tip-toe both feet at once.

At stops I'm always leaned one way or the other anyway. Sometimes right (if I want to be able to shift out of gear & let the clutch out). Sometimes left, if I want to release the front brake. Just what I'm used to.

6', seat on highest position and a 1" gel pad on top of that for the last ride, I do sometimes feel a little slippy at stops but it hasn't cost me yet, I have to have it up high to relieve knee pain. I too use the one side down method depending on what the situation is. I just got CB's monster windshield (+4w +6h) so that I can keep my exposed face out of the wind at this seat height, I like it.

So Glen, what is the plan? Are you going to return it or learn to live with it? I know most folks look over the windshield, but there are times you might look through it and frankly, I believe the windshield should be blemish free. I am considering purchasing the exact same windshield tomorrow. Now I am getting nervous again (although Happy's experience is encouraging). Is CB reluctant to accept it in return for a bemish free windshield?

The "distortion" Glen speaks of isn't a blemish. The Euro cut shield has a flip at that level and there is naturally some distortion if you look through that area. I always look over my shield and find that I never have to raise it all the way to have the air smoothly deflected over my head.

Whoops. I know there will be distortion at the curve, I assumed Glen was refering to a spot on the windshield, but looking back at the post I think you are right. He is probably refering to the horzontal line of distortion where the curve is molded into the windshield. My bad...or a la Saturday Night Live "Never Mind". smile.gif

am 6' and started riding with the seat in the low position; after experiencing various back and knee pains I went to the middle position. With my Cee Bailey seat I do not get both feet down flat. When I first got the RT with its top heavy feel I would not have been comfortable, after some miles I find I don't mind it at all.

I rode to work this morning (short ride, just about 8 miles). Seat is still at the lowest position. Windshield is also at the lowest position (all the way down).

In the down position, I can look over it without a problem.

As I took a good close look this morning, it appears the distortion is right at "the flip" -- which, according to CB, must be there. They say there's no way to bend glass without some distortion.

So for the time being, I am going to try to deal with it.

Do I like the windshield? Yes. Does it make the bike look sharp? Yes. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

I think if I knew then what I know now I probably would have ordered a different style -- without the flip.

To answer the question about CB's customer service -- they are willing to exchange it. But at this point, I think I would just as soon avoid the hassle of removing it, packing it, shipping it back, taking delivery of a new one, hoping it arrives in one piece, etc.

I'm gonna chalk this one up as a learning experience and enjoy the fine weather while it lasts.

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help!! smile.gif

have a euro + 2 1/2. 6' 30" inseam. I keep seat in middle position, screen down all the way at slow speeds, and up about 1 " on h'way speeds, and always look over the top. Only in heavy rain does the shield go all the way up. Yes there is distortion when looking through the curve, especially with oncoming lights at night, but like the " surging" at 3500 rpms, kick it up to 4500, and its gone. If you are looking through the curve, change your position. good luck

Okay folks. I took the plunge and ordered the #2 Euro @ 3.5". I really sweated the height. I am wondering if the windshield is 3.5" longer or 3.5" higher. That may seem redundant, but when the windshield is down there is a difference. I hope it works out well...maybe I should have dropped HappyMan-John's name. smile.gif

Archived