IGNORED

Motorcycling and Pissed Off Significant Others

David

I was talking about going to NorCal to visit my parents. Thought I might go on the bike. My riding buddy decided to come with me and it turned into a Motorcycle Trip with a short visit to my parents. Now, the tail end of the trip overlapped our wedding anniversary, but we have never, ever in 22 years of marriage celebrated our anniversary _on_ our anniversary, so I didn't think it was any big deal to be gone that day. I was going to get home a day or two after. A couple of big mistakes here, no?

First she was mad because when she OK'd the trip she "...thought you were going to visit your parents!" Then she was mad because the trip went on too long. And when she realized I was planning to miss our anniversary, it was the final straw.

I had to abandon my buddy and ride the the last two days of the trip in one day!

In '85, I sold both my bike and hers to get a Yamaha 650 Turbo, she wasn't too happy about losing her bike till she got a crack at the throttle of the turbo.

In '03, traded in her beemer to buy my KGT. She doesn't mind being a passenger but has her eye on a '04-'05 Yam R1 for a while now.

Currently she is so grateful that I got rid of the Buell, she's even considered letting a new Street Rod fill the empty hole in the garage. (But I can tell she really, really wants that Red R1)

I'm pretty lucky in that Sun-joo knows how much the bike means to me. (I even joke with her on special occasions. In her Christmas card I made a joke about being confused at what the most important thing in my life was - her or the bike. Lucky for me she still thinks it's her. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Just kidding)

I've had lot's of times when I've said something stupid on the bike and she'll smack me up side the helmet. I've done this enough now that I have developed a natural reflex - I say something and then prepare myself for the smack. Dang thing is, sometimes I prepare myself thinking I said something stupid - but no smack. Other times, I KNOW what I said wasn't stupid and I still get a smack - thus, I'm not prepared.

But the one time she really got mad was only partially bike related. We were on our big 10,000 mile trip and we were stopped for the evening at a nice motel on the beach. We went for a walk, enjoying the sunset. (Oregon - good sunsets thumbsup.gif) There was a rock in the water and I convinced her to stand on the rock while I got a good picture. (She was in coat, pants and shoes, but the water was still out a ways so I figured we were safe) By the time I finally snapped the picture, a wave came in, crashed against the rock and got her soaking wet. I tried my hardest not to laugh while she gave me the Look of Death. I added insult to injury by not carrying her off the rock. I made her wade thru all the water. I couldn't help it - I was laughing too hard to even think about trying to recover my losses. Needless to say, I spent a couple hours in the laundromat watching her clothes as I washed and dried them. She was still mad when I got back to the motel.

BUT - It still makes me laugh today when I think about it. That's a good thing, so it must have been worth it.

Bought my re-entry bike (first I'd owned since being married) after an argument with my wife where she repeatedly told me how stupid motorcycles were. Upon finding I'd bought a motorcycle, she curled up in the fetal position on our guest room floor (still haven't figured out why she went into the guest room) and began crying and sobbing like a baby while chanting, "You're gonna die! You're gonna die!"

That incident cost me a new bedroom suit....

Bought my re-entry bike (first I'd owned since being married) after an argument with my wife where she repeatedly told me how stupid motorcycles were. Upon finding I'd bought a motorcycle, she curled up in the fetal position on our guest room floor (still haven't figured out why she went into the guest room) and began crying and sobbing like a baby while chanting, "You're gonna die! You're gonna die!"

That incident cost me a new bedroom suit....

You don't LOOK dead...

'course you're on THAT side of the monitor.

M

My story is a bit different than most. About a month ago I decided to put my 2000 R1100RT up for sale without telling my wife. Things in my life are changing because in about 5 short weeks she'll be giving birth to our first child, a boy. I decided to get out of biking for awhile to save money, reduce my risk of death, and to spend more time at home with the wife and child. Once my wife found out I was selling the bike she was angry at me for selling it. She was actually more concerned about my happiness and the love I have for riding over the reasons I had for selling it. My wife is one in a million, we've enjoyed the times we spent together two-up on the RT and we will miss the bike once the new owner takes delivery this coming Sunday. I'll be crying when I see the bike leave, my wife will be crying for my loss. bncry.gif I'll be back on bike in a couple years if not sooner. Thank you to everyone on this forum who helped make my time on the RT as enjoyable as it was. thumbsup.gif

Doug Shaffer

Baltimore, MD

Pardon me for this slightly off-topic post, but it is a true story and pretty damn funny.

In 1968, my old man and his friends were big time motorheads. He drove a station wagon but wanted a muscle car real bad.

Early one Saturday morning, Dad announces he is taking the wagon in to the dealer for an oil change. Around 3 that afternoon, I'm playing outside with my friends and we hear the rumble of a hot V-8 about a block away. Dad pulls up in a new 'Cuda with the 340 Formula S package - street grind cam, enormous dual exhausts, Hurst 4 speed, manual everything, no air, a real hot rod. I hop in for a spin around the block and the old man lays rubber all the way down our street. A real thrill for a 9 year old!

We get home and show Mom the car. She goes ballistic, screaming and yelling at the old man like I had never before seen. She demands that we ride to the dealer and get the station wagon back. Dad can't even get a word in, she is screaming and yelling and cursing the old man like she's possessed.

So we hop in the Barracuda and drive back to the dealer. Back in those days, car salesmen totally ignored women. The sales guy asks Dad what the problem is and the old man tells him Mom is seriously pissed. So the sales dude says, we can get you your old car back, but why don't the 2 of you talk about it for a few minutes, I'll be back in 5 minutes.

For the next 5 minutes, Mom is yelling and screaming at the old man that he better get her damn car back or else. He says nothing, she never takes a breath. Mom was usually quiet, so I knew she was major league pissed off at Dad.

5 minutes later, the salesmen comes back and asks Dad what his decision is - Dad takes a long pause, and says "we'll keep the Barracuda"!

Needless to say, it was a bit chilly in our house for a few weeks. Dad kept the car for 2 years, drag raced everyone he met with another hot car, and then sold it and bought another wagon.

Pulled up the driveway, the fair maiden hopped off and stretched, I removed helmet and sauntered over to wife and proclaimed, "Look what followed me home, honey, can I keep it?".

The screeching stopped after about 10 minutes and was the last words spoken to me for about a week. Never - repeat - NEVER play a joke like that on a pregnant woman. At that stage, they lack all sense of humor.

I'm surprised you actually survived this stunt... eek.gif

Then came Christmas.. We were at the dealer looking at helmets & stuff.. She pulls out a Christmas card and says "here Honey." "I'll write the check right now--just get whatever bike you want"...

I've heard stories like this before on here and HD forums...but for all my traveling, I have yet to discover the particular utopia where they hide such women when they are single.

Less than a week before our wedding, although I hadn't owned a bike in over ten years, I found and bought an ancient Kawasaki 2-stroke with all of 30 HP, a bad ignition coil, 3 mm deep gouges in one of the cylinder walls (no wrist pin retainer?). It kinda ran.

Jana asked what the heck I was doing.

My response was: "I own a bike. Once we are married, I will always own a bike."

Needless to say, I got away with it due to the proximity to the momentous occasion. A few months ago when I told Jana that I was going to buy a GS, in addition to the other very nice bikes in the garage, she didn't even roll her eyes. I don't think she was pissed off, but maybe she's just better at masking her feelings now.

I have yet to discover the particular utopia where they hide such women when they are single.

I met my wife while visiting a friend at UofIowa.

grin.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

Miss Vicki is the "Man With Toys" dream. Always encourages me to get out and play, even when I have doubts myself. She says: "Go!, Go!, you'll have fun.

But!!!!!! The one I was married to before... Well, she wasn't so positive. When I was Drag Racing a bike, I heard many times: "Either that bike goes, or I go." She thought the pits were crammed with Hawaiian Tropic Calendar Girls, just waiting on our beck and call. Never could convince her otherwise.

One night I had a part break on the bike and needed a new one to stay in the competition. I called home and had her run parts for me, while I tore the bike down in the pits. Later she came to the track, threw the parts over the fence, and did donuts in her car leaving the parking lot. When I got home from the 3-day meet, she had packed off to Momma's house and never came back.

Ironic thing about the deal... after the divorce, I couldn't afford to race anymore on a single income & pay Child Support. So, I had to sell the bike and quit racing.

Alls well in the end though. I have a GOOD one now & I'm enjoying the riding scene again! thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
Then came Christmas.. We were at the dealer looking at helmets & stuff.. She pulls out a Christmas card and says "here Honey." "I'll write the check right now--just get whatever bike you want"...

... I have yet to discover the particular utopia where they hide such women when they are single.

You know, I never found it either. Miss Vicki was handed to me at my front door.

I was single for 13 years after The Divorce, and my brother wanted to end my "Misery". For years he tried & tried to set me up. After many , many failures, I finally told him we were gonna Fight if he tried again. Well he did try one more time & we didn't fight. He brought Miss Vicki over one afternoon for drinks and movies & I've been forever in his debt since! clap.gif

He brought Miss Vicki over one afternoon for drinks and movies & I've been forever in his debt since! clap.gif

Have your brother call me if he knows of anymore Miss Vicki's! grin.gif

It had been 15 years since I had a motorcycle, and then one day my wife says 'why don't you get another bike'.

Well, who's going to argue with that??

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dave,

Excellent question and the replies are great. grin.gifgrin.gif

Given my wife knows motorcycling is most of my passion she's very forgiving.

However, I did screw up big time one day when I said "hon I'm going to Blockbuster to return a movie" [wife] Ok, see you in a while. Off I go, drop the movie and on the way home I decided to jump up on the frwy. I just sync. the throttle bodies and wanted to get some heat into it and just ride for a bit. Look at the time it's only 9:30 and the weather was great. I glance up at our local mountains and figure I can get up there, decompress awhile in the twisties and get back for a BBQ we're suppose to be attending.

You see where this is going huh grin.gif

I return at 4pm and her car is gone....I whip out the cell to locate her and all H#ll brakes loose.

I'm late...I didn't call...I didn't help with the salad we where taking (my recipe) where are you eek.gif

After the smoke cleared, If I had only called from the base of the mountain she'd have blessed my trek up the road and I'll meet you there.

Moral of the story.....Call mission control...they actually do worry.

I figured it would be better to ask for forgivness than permission. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif bad Mikey..bad dopeslap.gif

Mike W.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Certainly tame by some of the stories I've read on this thread, but last year when I was gearing up for a 5-week ride that never happened (another story) I sold some crud to buy some stuff for the trip. So, my wife is thrilled that I've now "earned" $5-600 for bills and what not, while I already spent that same figure for more needed stuff. See, she already knew I wan't taking my trip but failed to discuss it with me. Oops. Somehow I was still the bad guy... dopeslap.gif

Lone_RT_rider

About the only thing I have done is NOT buy the second bike I have been threatening to for so long. She's tired of hearing about it and just want's me to have it. Some guys have all the luck! grin.gifclap.gifwink.gif

Haven't you people heard of the "Law of Retribution"? In it's simplest format it states "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

I'm not saying it works, but there it is! dopeslap.gif

My ex-wife is the daughter of an Oral Surgeon. He had repaired a few jaws from scooter crashes in his time, so he had brainwashed his daughter for her entire life with the thought that "those things are dangerous". When we got married, I had four motorcycles. By the time my son was born 3 years later I had Zero. My mid-life crisis about 18 years after my marriage involved a divorce, a seven passenger hot tub and, you guessed it, A NEW MOTORCYCLE! clap.gif I'm back to four in the garage again, and I covet MORE! And you should see my lovely second wife ride a wheelie! clap.gif

The best one here so far is the guy who cashed his life insurance policy (which was to cover retirement if he was killed) and bought a bike after his divorce! Ha ha ha! That's peotic justice!

I think this thread expresses an almost universal application to motorcyclists. I wonder how David got the idea? Anyway, I also think that the Triumph motorcycle company ads of late nail this thread. You'll see their full page ads on back covers of Rider or Motorcyclist. Even their homepage in England is dedicated to the sentiment of this thread! Triumph UK

The year was 1975 and I was dating a very, very beautiful lady for several years by that time. All the other guys I knew thought I was one lucky SOB and tried to beat my time when I wasn't around. We were in love and she knew I was a bike nut, but I guess she didn't realize the full extent of my passion for motorized two wheel machines. On one particular lovely summer day we were just at the point where our youthful passions had us heading for a roll in the hay when a good riding buddy rode up and shouted to the open second floor window of my place that it was time to go for a ride. The fact that I paused our little moment and then recommended we suspend this rendezvous for a ride resulted in a reaction that killed her amorous mood for me, and there was no chance we would go for a ride together. I even had the stones to ask if she was sure she didn’t want to go as she was fuming away. I figured that since I had already built one of the nicest doghouses one could build, I might as well go and enjoy a ride. While this incident was not the reason we didn't get married, it may have been an early signal of where we were heading.

Fast Forward to 2005. Now middle aged and married to a wonderful woman. When I give her that frisky look she will frequently remind me that I was planning on going for a ride that day...She is happy that I immediately quit chasing her around the couch in the living room and consider a ride on the bike to be right up there with a good roll in the hay. She loves to go for a ride and likes swooping through the turns while holding on tight. I now know I'm one lucky SOB.

I am so glad that as I have gotten older that my bike drive hasn't diminished, cause they got a pill to fix the other thing grin.gif

After months of looking at bikes (to her displeasure) I finally found the right one at the right price. I bought it and brought it home.

Now, the day I brought the new ride home also just so happened to be her birthday. I was under the naive assumption that these were completely separate events. I didn't see any problem; after all, I was home in plenty of time to prepare for her B-day party that night! I am young and foolish to think such things. dopeslap.gif

Apparently, in "woman-thinking," this is a personal insult comparable to if I brought a date to her birthday party. Anytime a friend wanted to go in the garage to check out the new ride that night I could see her eyes narrow as she plotted new ways get back at me. Oddly enough, she never liked that bike.

Still keeping my head low,

Mike

Wow, lots of interesting, entertaining stories here and I wish I could add to them but alas....I have to go with one of the other members who said

Sorry to be a spoil sport but my significant other understands that motorcycling is my second love she (my wife) is my first. Without either one, life would pretty much suck. No conflict between the two. I guess I must be lucky.

Change the "she (my wife)" to "he (my husband)" and that's my story grin.gif
And not one female rider has posted a story about motorcycle POing their SO?

How many female riders have a SO who doesn't also ride? Not many I would assume.

Well at the time we were in an apartment w/out a garage. Fortunately it was on the ground floor so getting the scoot into the apt for the winter was really quite easy. I was doing OK right up to the point where I started tearing it down. Yup she sure was pissed! BTW, we're not married anymore. blush.gif

While my wife of nearly one year (next week!!) gets a little pissed about all of the riding time, she really is a gem when it comes to this...a few cases in point;

1) Agree'd to postpone our original wedding plans for the Iron Butt Rally in '03.

2) Suggested that I buy my first new motorcycle, an '04 RT (with those dangerous servo brakes)

3) Agreed to postpone the "kids/no kids" discussion until after this year's Iron Butt Rally, after I promissed the last IBR was my last IBR.

These are the biggies, but I think setting the expectations are important. My wife understands my "wonderlust" and while she complains about the time I spend riding, reading and talking about motorcyles, she also understands that part of who I am. Without it, I might be a gambling, jingly bar attending, no good do nothing, but more likely a serious workaholic who never has time for anything except stress. She chose to take me as I am. grin.gif

Took off on a trip to Utah. Met my brother in Jacksonville and popped a 50 CC to San Diego. We show up in Utah with my sister on the back of my brother's RT. My wife wasn't impressed about my "via" explanation. More hurt that I didn't tell her than anything else, but I promised never to surprise her like that again. Sure glad I did it when I was able. What wonderful memories. She still gets upset about it, but not as bad now that I can't do distance grin.gif Justice, I suppose, but I knew it felt right when I did it. I was right. Hollow victory grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All right, at the risk of having her see this and remember.

I crashed and spent three weeks in Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. Problem was the crash occured on the way to get married.

After she waited three weeks and had to finish all the planning alone, I went riding - while still using crutches.

Bigger problem was she found out in front of the house holding my crutches was the last girl friend. frown.gif On who didn't appreciate my spousal choice. cool.gifOh, and it was the girl friends bike I borrowed.

Anyway, it's been 23 years now. Still riding anytime I want, just not allowed in San Diego unescorted. crazy.gif

My wonderful wife of nearly 40 years approves and just encouraged me to buy a motorcycle after 8 years on a scooter. The 02RT is in lthe garage and she may even begin riding with me again!!! Happy DAy! Now I know why I married her! Uh-oh, Valentines tomorrow, better get to the store.

I can remember in 74, two years removed from Nam. Wife, new kid and we lived in a apartment. Came home from work one day and said to wife, going to get a new ride, She said O.K. How much is it gonna cost us. I said about 3600 dollars. O.K. that does not sound too bad. What kind of car is it? I said it wasn`t a car, but a motorcycle. Are you nuts, we don`t even own a house yet. Two months later the BMW dealer called and said my new R90S was in. I could hardly contain myself. When I picked it up a couple of days later wife asked if I was going to take her for a ride. I did, and the rest is history. She goes with me all over the country side. We take most of our vacation on the bike. Come on spring! Ride Safe. Detroit

for those insensitive male pigs out there looking over your shoulders at the SO due to some motorcycle relatrd issue....don't forget it's the love saints day...go get some brownie points so you can continue being insensitive motorcyle loving maniacs.

Archived