IGNORED

Motorcycling and Pissed Off Significant Others

David

Alright, time for a little confession. What have you done, related to motorcycling, that really pissed of your SO. Like a purchase, a trip, or whatever. These are all hypothetical of course.

Like a client of mine who bought a new BMW bike against his wife's wishes, storing it near work on the Loop in Chicago, riding it at lunch breaks. Worked well until the "registration renewel" came from the Secretary of State...and opened by his wife at home. dopeslap.gif But he did get 9 months of fun riding in. smile.gif

Uhhhhh, taking a ten day trip down Skyline Drive and BRP and hanging out in Cherokee and Deals gap "for a few days" when I was only supposed to be gone for 5-6 days. Still paying for that one dopeslap.gif.

ShovelStrokeEd

Year 1974, wife 8 mos pregnant with the firstborn and sunning her not inconsiderable dermis in the back yard. I riding my CB750.

On the way home from a short errand I spot a sweet young thing, couldn't have been more than 18 or so, sauntering along in a pair for extremely short shorts and a tube top. See former post under Ride Well on "Would you pass this rider?" as an example of the genus. I persuaded said individual to go for a ride and participate in a joke on the wife.

Pulled up the driveway, the fair maiden hopped off and stretched, I removed helmet and sauntered over to wife and proclaimed, "Look what followed me home, honey, can I keep it?".

The screeching stopped after about 10 minutes and was the last words spoken to me for about a week. Never - repeat - NEVER play a joke like that on a pregnant woman. At that stage, they lack all sense of humor.

PS, the SYT ran off in horror at the first string grin.gif

Dropping the bike off-road with my then fiance on the back and checking the bike was OK before A) checking she was ok and B) lifting it off her leg. I still wonder why she married me. dopeslap.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

Oh, boy. I'm already laughing my a$$ off at the responses. This is going to be good. Maybe spreading around the misery will give us some hope.

Dropping the bike off-road with my then fiance on the back and checking the bike was OK before A) checking she was ok and B) lifting it off her leg. I still wonder why she married me. dopeslap.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

Revenge.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Revenge.

ROFLMAO

Andy

A friend of mine wanted to buy an R1150R against the wishes of his wife. I asked him what would she do if he went ahead with the purchase. He said that she probably wouldn't talk to him for a month.

I stated conversely, "If your wife said that she wouldn't speak to you for a month and then you can buy a bike, wouldn't you think that it was a good deal?"

Her compromise for his purchase was that she bought a new piano for twice the nearly cost of the bike.

Dave McReynolds

About 5-6 years ago, SO at the time had seen the writing on the wall, moved out, and bought a house for herself. We were still friendly, and still seeing each other during about a transitional year while we decided what we wanted to do with the rest of our lives. Frankly, being alone in my own house for a while felt pretty good, and I decided I needed to make some other changes, including having a motorcycle in my life again. So one day I bought an R1100R, and on the way home from the dealer about 7:00 PM on a rather dark winter evening, I decided to surprise her with a visit, show off my new motorcycle, and maybe score some dinner. I tooled on up into her driveway, and knocked on her door all decked out in my brand new ATGATT, but she didn't come to the door, although some lights were on and it seemed like to me that she was in there. I thought maybe she was in the shower or something, so I tooled around on the cycle for a half hour or so and then went back and knocked on the door again, and again. Oh yes, I thought it would be clever to surprise her by wearing my helmet to the door. About this time, a sheriff's car stopped in front of her house with the lights flashing, and the deputy asked me what I was doing up there. I took off my helmet at that point, and introduced myself. Evidently my SO had become nervous about some stranger knocking on her door in a motorcycle helmet, and called the sheriff. BTW, I didn't score any dinner that night, but I'm sure that at least Gary would approve of the ATGATT.

Irritated. Fortunately never pissed off.

After I got my RT, a package arrived practically every week from some motorcycle related vendor. clap.gif Little box, medium box, small padded envelope, big padded envelope. Gloves, jacket, pants. Tailblazer, PIAA bulbs, Euro switch, valve cover guards, etc. thumbsup.gif

By the end of month 4 I got a firm but nice, "Sweetie, Can we please take a break from spending money on the motorcycle, for at least a few weeks? confused.gif Isn't it you that said we need to cut down on our expenses?"

Guilty as charged. blush.gif Went cold turkey for two months and, believe me, it was a really tough two months. eek.gif

Sorry to be a spoil sport but my significant other understands that motorcycling is my second love and she(my wife)is my first. Without either one, life would pretty much suck. bncry.gif

No conflict between the two.

I guess I must be lucky. thumbsup.gif

"Honey, turns out we're going to stay in Montana for another day..."

(But I blamed that one on Michael.)

"I must have lost my cellphone when I gassed up in Blythe..."

(But I later found it, miraculously, in the bottom of my tank bag after I got home and unpacked. "Huh! What a surprise!")

I had a long standing life insurance policy that would pay, in the event of my death, a monthly stipend to my wife that would replace my retirement money. As the marriage was dissolving, I cashed in the policy and bought my first motorcycle. During our entire marriage she always fought the purchase of a bike. Every cloud has a silver lining. grin.gif

For me it was just a case of staying out too late. When I lived in Massachusetts, my wife sent me on an errand to New Hampshire to buy a PowerBall lottery ticket. Took me about 45 minutes to get to the store from Westborough, MA. After I bought the ticket, I had a great ride around the Lakes Region, then on north to St. Johnsbury, VT, and down Route 91, stopped at Dartmouth College for dinner, and then on to Western Mass, Route 2 East to home again. What should have been a 100 mile day tops, turned into a 500 mile day! My wife was not happy as she needed help with the children that day.

Great day, great ride, greatly pissed off wife! It was worth it though.

I'm sure that at least Gary would approve of the ATGATT.
You're a chicken!

You just wore it because you were afraid she would hit you! smile.gifsmile.gif

Gary

smile.gifsmile.gif

Many years ago I was setting up the Harley Davidson Dealers Convention when the motorcycle bug hit me after 15 years of not riding. I talked to the HD guys about buying a bike off the floor, and one of the reps told me they would sell me the fully loaded Heritage Softail for $18K. I immediatly phoned my wife.

"Honey, this is something I really want, and I can get it for thousands off retail".

Her reply:

"$18K for the bike, half your house, child support until your daughter is 18. Can you still afford it?"

Wasn't until she took a part time job at the BMW dealer up the street before I was allowed to even think of another motorcycle. I know she still didn't want me getting one, because as soon as she worked there long enough to get the employee discount, she quit. It was the same weekend I took the MSF Class and was ready to buy. Luckily I found my sled used for a great price. She still hates it.

Now she just complaines about my solo vacations. thumbsup.gif

Had a Honda Superhawk, bought a '76 R90/6, then bought an 04RT. Finally sold the Superhawk (wish I had it back) and all is well at my address. For now.

Quoted Ed.......

Pulled up the driveway, the fair maiden hopped off and stretched, I removed helmet and sauntered over to wife and proclaimed, "Look what followed me home, honey, can I keep it?".

Now, that is the funniest thing i've heard in mmonths.. God knows I'd be short on private parts if I had tried that one. I was the naive one who (pre-nuptuals) thought that the "special week" of the month was only a contrived idea by men who wanted out of the house for the day.... blush.gif

But, to balance things out.. My wife realized I was into biking pretty deep. When we got married, I had one car (285,000 miles, no passenger seat, no AC, and a stuck open sunroof), and SEVEN bikes (all K's & R's)..

I sold most of them right around the point of the wedding--got down to 3. Then came Christmas.. We were at the dealer looking at helmets & stuff.. She pulls out a Christmas card and says "here Honey." "I'll write the check right now--just get whatever bike you want"... Dumbo here decided I just didn't want a new Kbike, and wasn't sold on the R's, so I passed.... frown.gif

When I got the '02 RT Jan decided she wouldn't ride it until I got the first drop, ding, etc. out of the way.

Now I don't know if she's mad about it, and I'm not going to ask, but 55,000 ding free miles later she still is waiting for her first solo ride on it.

Stan

. . . then there was the time that Mike bought a CX500 Turbo as graduation present to himself . . . must remember to discuss these things with the wife first.

whipping_post_550.jpg

Alright, time for a little confession.

So, what did you do this time? grin.gif

Actually, I'm pretty clean at the moment, which even surprises me. tongue.gif It could be just the cumulative effect of so many shocks to Julie's system, mainly via aviation related escapades.

I did buy the RT after a casual comment that I was going to look around the BMW dealer. That was somewhat of a surprise since I hadn't ridden our entire married life (20 years at that time). Oh well. grin.gif

I was just about to post that I was in the clear until my wife reminded me I had left her in a motel room for a 10 day ride leaving her with the room bill. dopeslap.gif I think that is what jewelry was invented for bncry.gif

Well, the only thing (except stupid driving)...

Got gas on I-10, drove off without realizing the SO was not on the back. Easy to do on the big long cruiser I had before the RT. The wife has not let me forget it...

Since I've known her, I've spent far more money on Tifanie than on motorcycles, except in the case of the bike we bought for 2-up riding. The engagement ring, the wedding present, the honeymoon, and her riding gear have got me well into the black in the spousal accounting, so I could probably come hom with an unannounced motorcycle without too much of a problem.

I'm cursed by the fact that I like to buy her presents. I just spent $400 on beer brewing supplies and ingredients and brewed my first beer in 10 years tonight. However, her engraved Ipod mini valentines day present arrived in the same shipment, so I'm still square.

--sam

Francois_Dumas

Trying to get my A-license without telling Nina...... she really thought I was seeing another woman eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I had to confess what I was leaving for a few hours every week just to keep us talking grin.gif

Then telling I would 'only rent' a bike a few times a year to rise....... moving to 'I'll buy a used bike for 4000 Euro's, max!'...... into getting home with a 17K slver RT. It took a while to get it all settled (luckily she likes sitting on the buddy seat now.... <grin> ).

Ummmm.... quite recently <grin> going out for a 'little ride', then coming home AFTER dinner WITH a 200 Euro speeding ticket..... I am grounded now for a while frown.gif

But... we've been married for 30 years now, so I take my chances, I think we'll survive together wink.gif

The only time Meghan gets upset with the bike is when I go on a trip and she can't get away from work to join me and is left at home jealous.

Although I have in the past heard her refer to my bike as "the other woman" when I spent too much time in the garage working on her....I mean it.

When My wife and I first met, she was 500 miles from home in a car, with friends, and I was 500 miles from home on my BMW R90S. So she knew from day one that bikes are part of my life.

She rode with me for some time (I still miss it) than pulled out of it, but me taking regular Sunday rides or going away for a few days alone was not a problem. Problem started when I was planning my first serious cross-country trip, three weeks vacation time to the Rocky Mountains from Jasper to Durango. Three weeks vacationing without her, besides I'm way too old to do something like that! (that was 8 years ago). She was PO! Her revenge: A 10 day group excursion to France, to visit all the Impressionist painter's areas and museums, by herself. Was I glad I didn't have to go on that trip! wink.gif

Got gas on I-10, drove off without realizing the SO was not on the back. Easy to do on the big long cruiser I had before the RT. The wife has not let me forget it...

That is just freakin' hilarious. grin.gif

Since I've known her, I've spent far more money on Tifanie than on motorcycles, except in the case of the bike we bought for 2-up riding. The engagement ring, the wedding present, the honeymoon, and her riding gear have got me well into the black in the spousal accounting, so I could probably come hom with an unannounced motorcycle without too much of a problem.

I'm cursed by the fact that I like to buy her presents. I just spent $400 on beer brewing supplies and ingredients and brewed my first beer in 10 years tonight. However, her engraved Ipod mini valentines day present arrived in the same shipment, so I'm still square.

As a newlywed, I see that you are still operating under the illusion that the points you accumulate for good deeds actually accrue over time. They don't--unless they are used with 72 hours, they are like disappearing ink. tongue.gif

...my wife reminded me I had left her in a motel room for a 10 day ride leaving her with the room bill. dopeslap.gif I think that is what jewelry was invented for

I read this and initially thought you forgot and left her stranded in the room for 10 days! I was thinking if that happened to me, jewelry wouldn't make much of an impact - I'd be out shopping for my very own separate address. grin.gif

I've had bikes, and travelled for business ever since we met so she doesn't have a problem w. me taking off on a solo vacation for a few days occasionally. I'm also the big eagle-eye when it comes to money so she knows the farkle budget won't get out of hand.

However, while she likes to ride with me, she only tolerates biking vacations together. We went to Myrtle Beach bike week last spring and I spent most of the time bikin' w. my buds while she hung out at the beach w. the other women. I complained when she asked me to spend a few hours with her lounging on the beach. Big mistake.

Barry Cottrell

Wifey is pretty laid back about the bike, so I didn't think there were any issues to be concerned about;( read typical thick headed, clueless male here), until we were in the garage one day when a friend came over. Cathy went to the front door to answer the doorbell, then brought my friend back to the garage where I was cleaning "Hammer". As they walked in, she loudly exclaimed, "...and HERE is the SACRED MOTORCYCLE!" Huh?? confused.gif

Barry

ummmmmmmmm, too many to count; but the one that i can't live down is fly from NY to CO to pick up a 25 yo bike which i planned to ride home, site unseen. ......... in Late SEPT! Got as far as MN, and had to rent a u-haul. Got home two days late... to a very unhappy wife.

In 1991, I sent my wife to Yuma, AZ for fathers day. I told her I would stay home and take care of the two kids. I told her to have a good time.

While she was gone, I bought a new HD FLHTC.

"Hi honey, guess what we have in the garage". She never fell for that trick again.

A few years ago Peter Egan wrote a wonderful column about how his wife "let's him buy bikes". It was the usual wonderful bit of writing.

He certainly has a way with words.

This post reminds me of that essay.

A few years ago while riding two-up with the (VERY weight conscious) SO, I pull up next to a pickup truck with two men in it. I turn to the one on the passenger side and ask "HEY! Is my bike's rear end sagging?" Both he and the driver gave me a dumbstruck look but soon broke into big smile and began laughing as the SO started punching and yelling at me.

My story is a bit different than most. About a month ago I decided to put my 2000 R1100RT up for sale without telling my wife. Things in my life are changing because in about 5 short weeks she'll be giving birth to our first child, a boy. I decided to get out of biking for awhile to save money, reduce my risk of death, and to spend more time at home with the wife and child. Once my wife found out I was selling the bike she was angry at me for selling it. She was actually more concerned about my happiness and the love I have for riding over the reasons I had for selling it. My wife is one in a million, we've enjoyed the times we spent together two-up on the RT and we will miss the bike once the new owner takes delivery this coming Sunday. I'll be crying when I see the bike leave, my wife will be crying for my loss. bncry.gif I'll be back on bike in a couple years if not sooner. Thank you to everyone on this forum who helped make my time on the RT as enjoyable as it was. thumbsup.gif

Doug Shaffer

Baltimore, MD

Married in 1973 and we bought a home with a walk-out lower level. There was a motorcycle shop about a block away. Nothing to do one evening (wife at work) so I decided to check out the MC shop. Wound up buying a trials bike (the kind that can almost go up a vertical incline) and parked it in the lower level. The mistake I made was not telling her about it first. When she got home, I just went downstairs, fired it up and drove right up the steps and into the family room. Surprise, Honey! Big mistake. Was a very, very long week.

Married in 1973 and we bought a home with a walk-out lower level. There was a motorcycle shop about a block away. Nothing to do one evening (wife at work) so I decided to check out the MC shop. Wound up buying a trials bike (the kind that can almost go up a vertical incline) and parked it in the lower level. The mistake I made was not telling her about it first. When she got home, I just went downstairs, fired it up and drove right up the steps and into the family room. Surprise, Honey! Big mistake. Was a very, very long week.

That is funny, I almost sprayed my computer with my morning beverage.

Like a client of mine who bought a new BMW bike against his wife's wishes, storing it near work on the Loop in Chicago, riding it at lunch breaks. Worked well until the "registration renewal" came from the Secretary of State...and opened by his wife at home. But he did get 9 months of fun riding in. smile.gif

What is that guy, a man or a mouse? You mean he had to sell it when she found out?

Motorcycling to some/most SOs may mean "too much freedom" which boils down to "they have less control". Insecure SOs!

Archived