IGNORED

Having my head examined...........

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

'Have your head examined' is what a few people have been telling me at times. Sometimes in jest, sometimes in anger.

I can make them all happy, because I am about to, actually.

Not that I am really looking forward to it, I am hospital-challenged at the best of times.

But my headaches have been more fierce and more frequent as of late, and when I told my doc that I lost part of my vision two or three times now, he told me to go 'see' a neurologist.

I am somewhat scared, somewhat worried and secretly hoping it is nothing, I am imagining things and life never changes. crazy.gif

This is good to see the Dr when symtoms get unfriendly.

Hope your explanations from the Dr and subsequent tests are good!

Or maybe your helmet is just too tight? eek.gif

I am somewhat scared, somewhat worried and secretly hoping it is nothing, I am imagining things and life never changes.

I will non-secretly hope it is nothing.

Les is more

Thanks for posting Francois. It allows all of your friends here to send prayers and best wishes and throw our considerable community energy behind a good outcome.

I hope everything turns out well. While symptoms like yours are worth investigating further, it often turns out to be a minor issue.

I had a couple of episodes of partial lost vision a few years ago, and I was certain that the Grim Reaper was waiting around the bend. A neurological assessment and MRI followed, but before I got through the whole process I saw an ophthalmologist who said "no worries." He diagnosed my problem as ophthalmic (ocular) migraines, essentially a migraine attack that causes pressure on the ophthalmic nerve, affecting one's vision. In my case, I didn't have any pain, but these symptoms are often accompanied by a monster headache. I didn't require any further treatment, and, as the doc told me occurs in many cases, the symptoms have not returned afer those initial, scary episodes.

The ophthalmologist actually told me that he saw two or three cases of my sort every week in his busy practice. He said that general practitioners who see the sort of symptoms I was exhibiting generally go into the "Battle stations!" mode, but that it's a fairly routine and unremarkable diagnosis in his practice.

In relating this, I would never presume any ability to diagnose what's going on in your case ("I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV." grin.gif ). But, I'd urge you to not to try to guess what the tests might reveal. You'll only add to your stress by doing so. In the meanwhile, the prayers and good wishes of your fellow BMWST'ers are heading your way, with hopes of a good outcome.

pRAYERS heading your way as I digitally speak. Please keep us up on the happenin's and we'll heap on the northbound conversations, my friend.

You are not alone in this..!

Be Well...

no need to secretly wish!!! we expect pics of the exam!

Sneak preview:

rocks.jpg

(Seemed better than the cruder idiom.)

I'm sure migraines that effect your vision is fairly common, but it still can be worrying though. Hope everything goes well. thumbsup.gif

Steve

I am somewhat scared, somewhat worried and secretly hoping it is nothing, I am imagining things and life never changes.

I will non-secretly hope it is nothing.

As will I.

Good for you, Francois, for taking the step to get this evaluated. Knowledge is power, and without it the mind fills the void with some wild ideas. I hope get good results and regain some peace of mind soon.

Francois.....may everything good that is everything good come your way....

By the way Nina told me you were a quart low... lmao.giflmao.gif

GOOD LUCK MY FIRST AND ONLY "OVER THE BIG POND" FRIEND...

xbubblehead

I will keep you in my thoughts. Just a little food for thought, my friend was experiencing similar issues but it turned out to be a pinched nerve in his lower neck area. He had surgery and is doing great - blinding head aches are gone and his seems to be much happier these days. Hopefully your issues will be found out and corrected soon.

Francois_Dumas

LOL, I like the preview, thanks !

Thank you all for your good wishes and wise words. I can't sleep, imagine that. But reading these kind messages helps tremendously. I felt a bit like a wuss putting up that message, but in the end I'm glad I did. The collective good vibes of this board are what brings me back here every day.

What's that saying again? 'You Rock!'

Francois

<sleepless in Blokker>

My thoughts and prayers go to you. Recently I was diagnoised with a cancer, under went surgery and am now cancer free. But it really does give one much to consider! eek.gif Sleepless nights are most unwanted but I'd say anyone who faces any kind of potentially serious circumstance certainly experiences them. dopeslap.gif

Thank you all for your good wishes and wise words. I can't sleep, imagine that. But reading these kind messages helps tremendously. I felt a bit like a wuss putting up that message, but in the end I'm glad I did. The collective good vibes of this board are what brings me back here every day.

You should never feel abashed about fearing the unknown. For what it is worth, your symptoms can be many things so don't trap yourself into thinking the worst. Like Mike eluded too, premature closure is never good.

Stay strong Francois and keep us updated!

Please accept my condolences and my hopes that 21st century medical technology provides some solution. As moderate Mike said, your head aches and partial (perhaps center of visual field ?) temporay vision loss are classic characteristics of migraines. Not being a medical doctor I can only assume you and/or your physician considered this possiblity.

Wooster whose migraines have devolved into visual auras only - alleluia

Francois,

Nill desperandum illegitimus carborundum.

Hope all works out all right.

Cheers,

What Mike said Francois - if the loss of vision occurs with the headache they are usually a form of migraine. But a more thorough history and examination would be necessary to back up that conclusion.

If they say "we couldn't find anything" after the CT/MRI, make sure you ask "You mean you couldn't find anything wrong, or there just wasn't anything left in there?"

Mike Cassidy

Paul_Burkett

Francois, You and Nina will be in our prayers tonight. I do hope that all will be well with you when they find what ever it is that has plagued you for so long.

I used to have awful headaches and blurry vison alot too.

It has gone away since I quit drinking tongue.gif

I feared that if a doctor found out what I kept in my head, they would put me away and throw away the key.....

My heartfelt best wishes on the outcome of having your head examined

Similar thing with the wife about 10 years ago. The headaches were horrible and when she awakened in the morning, she could not see for 10 seconds or so. She went through every test imaginable from catscans, sonar, radar, blood test, blood flow test, cardioligist, nerve test, eye test, etc...found out....she gets headaches and it is fairly common as the birthdays pile up. She had the same diagnosis as someone else posted on this board as opthalmic migranes as per her opthamologist. Nothing to do, nothing to worry about, symptoms come and go. The best advice was treat the headache early on. Go get all the tests. You should. You won't sleep until you find out, but chances are you will be just fine. When it first started, they got worse for the first 2-4 years, and now they have been tapering off. She gets them less and less and the vision issue is basically normal now. I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND I CAN NOT GIVE MEDICAL ADVISE...but that said, what works for her the best is Excedrin for Migraines. Over the counter with heavy caffeine... At the first hint of a headache, she takes the recommended dosage and it almost always knocks it out.

Very best to you.

I just read the OP and like everyone else, I'm praying for a postitive outcome. The not knowing can be very difficult.

I was reading all the replies and thinking how wonderful all your friends on the board are...such beautiful sentiments...and then I got to Greg's...

Nothing like a little levity to make you smile even when you are concerned.

And I agree with your assessment, I believe he was trying to tell you that you rock! thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

Small update: seen the doc, answered tons of questions, he started hammering all my nerve ends with a hammer (all seems still functional), and made an appointment for an MRI scan in 3 weeks, followed by a phone call re: results on April 3. More waiting... grrrr.

But off the cuff and based on my reports he didn't think anything was (seriously) wrong (if 50 years of headaches can be considered as such *gg*).

Interesting note: I brought a bottle of Excedrin pills with me from my visit to the States in November..... and they DO help sometimes... they are not known in Europe, so he made a note. Hey, perhaps I can start an import business !!!

'Canadian Pharmacy' ..... oh... hang on.... grin.gif

Thanks again for all uplifting, caring and sometimes downright funny messages. Believe me, it really helps. You're all great people. clap.gif

Will keep you posted.

Francois

Francois, your symptoms and a negative exam most often excludes the things that we don't like to think about with chronic progressive headaches with visual loss. That's good news. thumbsup.gif

Francois,

having seen how tall you Dutchies are, I reckon you have altitude sickness thumbsup.gif

I had an MRI last year checking out my hearing loss. The machine is noisy and a bit claustraphobic (sp?) but the nurse who tended to me made up for any discomfort grin.gif

Cya, thumbsup.gif

Andy

Francois_Dumas

Tall... ummm.. yes... although with 6 1' I seem to be a smaller sample around here now... I hope I don't get stuck in that Frankenstein machine then smirk.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

I can't add much to Greg's post, but will offer up my strongest and most heartfelt Karma your way!

I hope all is well, and worrying about it won't help anyway!

Keep us updated!

...he started hammering all my nerve ends with a hammer...

Heck, we could have done that. We even could have taken turns. You know, the ol' pass the hammer game. Wouldn't have charged as much, either. grin.gif

April 3.. long time to wait, sounds like your Doc is pretty positive, that's reassuring. So I hope for the best and, oh yeah, stay clear of those windmills, they pack quite a wallup and may cause a headache.

(if you need more Exedrin let me know I'll bring some over April 02, Amsterdam)

Jurgen

Archived