IGNORED

Someone asked me why I might have mild issues with LEO

kingpinofdisks

Studies on the topic of forgiveness and health benefits that result.

http://pr.tennessee.edu/alumnus/alumarticle.asp?id=97

The difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.

http://virgil.azwestern.edu/~dag/lol/Forgiving.html

"Forgiveness doesn’t mean forgetting, condoning or excusing whatever happened. It’s acknowledging hurt and then letting it go, along with the burden of anger and resentment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080104122807.htm

Forgiving is good for your peace of mind. Scientific research shows that forgiveness often improves your peace of mind. A 1996 study showed that the more people forgave those who hurt them, the less angry they were.

http://gregorykyles.wordpress.com/2007/1...ger-management/

The study—the first national survey to examine age differences in multiple dimensions of forgiveness, then link those differences to both mental and physical health—finds that middle-aged and older adults were more likely to forgive others than were younger adults. In those aged 45 and older, forgiving others was linked with better self-reported mental and physical health. "The benefits of forgiveness seem to increase with age," says Loren Toussaint, a psychologist who is the first author of the study report published in October in the Journal of Adult Development.

http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/Releases/2001/Dec01/r121101a.html

There are many more.

Bsically, more likely to happen as you get older, seems like it's good for you, mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually.

Joe Frickin' Friday
...There are many more.

Bsically, more likely to happen as you get older, seems like it's good for you, mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually.

Sure, it's a good thing. But is it normal? Is it reasonable to expect it from the majority of folks?

Studies on the topic of forgiveness and health benefits that result.

http://pr.tennessee.edu/alumnus/alumarticle.asp?id=97

The difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.

http://virgil.azwestern.edu/~dag/lol/Forgiving.html

"Forgiveness doesn’t mean forgetting, condoning or excusing whatever happened. It’s acknowledging hurt and then letting it go, along with the burden of anger and resentment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080104122807.htm

Forgiving is good for your peace of mind. Scientific research shows that forgiveness often improves your peace of mind. A 1996 study showed that the more people forgave those who hurt them, the less angry they were.

http://gregorykyles.wordpress.com/2007/1...ger-management/

The study—the first national survey to examine age differences in multiple dimensions of forgiveness, then link those differences to both mental and physical health—finds that middle-aged and older adults were more likely to forgive others than were younger adults. In those aged 45 and older, forgiving others was linked with better self-reported mental and physical health. "The benefits of forgiveness seem to increase with age," says Loren Toussaint, a psychologist who is the first author of the study report published in October in the Journal of Adult Development.

http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/Releases/2001/Dec01/r121101a.html

There are many more.

personally, i prefer holding grudges, getting even and stewing over something for years if necessary. i subsribe to the "get mad and get even" theory....but love LEO's!

There is a special kind of hurt to injustice when it occurs under the color of the law. That injustice carries the weight of societal judgment and power. The feelings of rejection that accompany such a betrayal may run so deep as when in aboriginal societies a miscreant was declared an outcast, and was seen as dead, or not really there after that point. Such feelings had the real power to kill.

Here, on this board, people routinely post their joys and their heartaches, their sorrows and their triumphs, their doubts and their certainties. They do so for advice, encouragement, support, or whatever. They do it in despair and in celebration. They do it, at least in part, because they trust us and value our opinions.

Rarely do we question their veracity. Rarely do we ask, "why post this here". Rarely do we call them a troll. Rarely do we blame the victim for the crime. Rarely do we respond to a heartfelt outpouring with the utter disdain and hatefulness that Pilgrim displays in the first response on this thread. Rarely do we respond to such a story by blessing the criminal aggressors as texasaggie97 did.

Each of these responses perpetuates the original crime. Each of these response reopens the wound. Each of these disdainful responses deepens the hurt and reinforces the societal judgment originally passed by those 6 LEOs.

Perhaps the kingpinofdisks would be better off to forgive and move on as has been suggested, but if our responses are typical of society-at-large, I'd have to say that it doesn't seem as if society is prepared to allow him to do so. Rather it appears that, as in the old days, when the rape victim must have been to blame, that we are more inclined to continue the victimization.

Perhaps the kingpinofdisks posted here in attempt to move on, looking for healing. If so, we certainly failed him again.

Ours can be a very cruel and ugly society.

Jan

Possibly, or perhaps people are skeptical of the facts as told by the OP and view the post as a likely unfair attack on a group of people who for the most part have a very difficult job, provide a valuable service to the public,subject themselves to danger and criticism and generally are well respected by most law abiding citizens..

Sorry dude. you're off the base. Because of anger and resentments from childhood( boose played a part).. I also ended up on the streets of some citys that will remain nameless.

Not often, but the law can be brutal, I know what its like to look into the grinning eyes of the LEO during a sweep.

Today I hold no resentments from the past, as an above poster pointed out, resentments can kill the soul.

Today I call Leo's I know Friend, I smile when given an Award and promise to slow down till he is outasight, Buts its differant today getting stop for a traffic violation on a BMW and up to date papers than a PERSON trying to keep warm anuff to sleep thru the night.

...There are many more.

Sure, it's a good thing. But is it normal? Is it reasonable to expect it from the majority of folks?

Yes.

Listen to your inner Piggy. (mandatory Lord of the Flies reference.)

Forgiving is virtuous and admirable, and even good for your body and soul. But forgetting is generally unwise, and can be fatal.

Most cops are great......But some, probably more so in the past than now, considered themselves judge and jury.......Especially when dealing with young folks. I wound up on the wrong side of this situation as a teen, (In spite of my innocence)and all LEOs will forever make me wary. Once beaten, twice shy.

Assuming the OP is for real, he did say "mild issues." The guy went through some sh** that most of you living your sheltered lives can't even imagine, yet you slam him for being resentful. Should he hate all LEO? Obviously not, I think that has been established. Is it a normal human emotion to hate those who hurt you? Certainly. Have the rest of you made dumber mistakes at some point in your lives???.......

Don't make me leave my sheltered life and walk across that lake to whip some normal human emotion on you. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

DavidEBSmith

But is it normal? Is it reasonable to expect it from the majority of folks?

Did you intend for those to be two separate questions? If you don't think "normal" is "the behavior of the majority of folks", what is it? If you think "normal" to be "proper according to criteria established by supernatural entities or 'natural law'", putting aside the whole question of how there can be agreement on what those criteria are, does that mean that "normal" may not be congruent with "the behavior of the majority of folks"?

Did you intend for those to be two separate questions? If you don't think "normal" is "the behavior of the majority of folks", what is it? If you think "normal" to be "proper according to criteria established by supernatural entities or 'natural law'", putting aside the whole question of how there can be agreement on what those criteria are, does that mean that "normal" may not be congruent with "the behavior of the majority of folks"?

Or what the definition of IS is!!! eek.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Did not really intend them as two separate questions; rather, the second is a rephrasing of the first.

This fellow, kingpinofdisks, is good with the stinky bait. One, solitary, but very stinky post. Three days and 59 posts later, and it is still rolling downhill. Me, I'm going riding in the morning, screw this fishing trip. I suggest, y'all do the same. thumbsup.gif

There is a special kind of hurt to injustice when it occurs under the color of the law. That injustice carries the weight of societal judgment and power. The feelings of rejection that accompany such a betrayal may run so deep as when in aboriginal societies a miscreant was declared an outcast, and was seen as dead, or not really there after that point. Such feelings had the real power to kill.

Here, on this board, people routinely post their joys and their heartaches, their sorrows and their triumphs, their doubts and their certainties. They do so for advice, encouragement, support, or whatever. They do it in despair and in celebration. They do it, at least in part, because they trust us and value our opinions.

Rarely do we question their veracity. Rarely do we ask, "why post this here". Rarely do we call them a troll. Rarely do we blame the victim for the crime. Rarely do we respond to a heartfelt outpouring with the utter disdain and hatefulness that Pilgrim displays in the first response on this thread. Rarely do we respond to such a story by blessing the criminal aggressors as texasaggie97 did.

Each of these responses perpetuates the original crime. Each of these response reopens the wound. Each of these disdainful responses deepens the hurt and reinforces the societal judgment originally passed by those 6 LEOs.

Perhaps the kingpinofdisks would be better off to forgive and move on as has been suggested, but if our responses are typical of society-at-large, I'd have to say that it doesn't seem as if society is prepared to allow him to do so. Rather it appears that, as in the old days, when the rape victim must have been to blame, that we are more inclined to continue the victimization.

Perhaps the kingpinofdisks posted here in attempt to move on, looking for healing. If so, we certainly failed him again.

Ours can be a very cruel and ugly society.

Jan

Possibly, or perhaps people are skeptical of the facts as told by the OP and view the post as a likely unfair attack on a group of people who for the most part have a very difficult job, provide a valuable service to the public,subject themselves to danger and criticism and generally are well respected by most law abiding citizens..

I reread it, the OP. It is pretty hard to take. I just wanted to comment that I thought your first post:

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If it will make you feel better please feel free to curse me.. I promise not to spray you, tase you, or kick your ass.

and waylap's:

I was off that day dude. It wasn't me. You're safe in here though man. One day at the county fair a group of young people not of my color beat me and took the only gold chain I ever owned. I tried to tell the cop at the front gate as I was on my way out ( bleeding). He could have cared less. Never even got my name or description of the dirt bags that were still IN the fairgrounds looking for more targets. I chose to do something about that and two years later I started my career. Now 18 years later I have no prejudice of anyone based on anything BUT the bahavior and attitude they have. There are good people and bad people. Everything else is semantics. Sounds like you met some bad people that happen to wear the uniform but could never truly be an LEO at heart. I hate crap like that, it takes so much more effort for the rest of us to convince people that we are doing what we do for the right reasons and are willing to die at a moments notice to save someone we have never met

post are truly great, and speak for you and your profession with great credit.

Also I want to apologize to texasaggie97, I got caught up in my reaction to some of the negativity, and missed that overall your post was quite balanced. I shouldn't have included you in that list quoted above.

I still think the OP speaks with great pain. There is no doubt in my mind that he suffered injury. I wonder about things like PTSD. As I understand it, you can be going along just fine, and then get hit out of nowhere with all those old feelings again. After looking it over again, my guess is it was something like that.

To me it shows that the cost of brutality goes on for many years, and takes a heavy toll.

Jan

Sorry, but no way no how. Not only are Hummers conspicuously consumptive, they are too UGLY to be seen on public roads. eek.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Yeah conspicuous consumption!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I think I'll put on my manatee skin boots and drive over the wetlands to take a short cut to the liquor store so I can get more beer cans to shoot at lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

My hatred stems from my homeless period. When I was 17, I slept in the street (i.e. homeless). So one night, I found a lovely park with a jungle gym. The jungle gym has a cork-type material to walk on, rather than sand or just dirt. It was VERY comfortable to sleep on, so I parked my sleeping bag there.

I had my slumber disturbed with pepper spray at 3am (yes, they sprayed pepper spray in my face while I was sound asleep), and told to leave the park by 6 LEO. 4 cars worth. Since pepper spray tends to make the eyes water, snot come out of your nose, choke you, horribly burn in your eyes/nose/throat, puke, gag, and otherwise make life miserable, I was understandably slow in getting up and gathering my sleeping bag. This caused a baton to the back of my knees, knocking me down and causing another 5 minute delay in gathering stuff up and moving on. I didn't have the ability to curse at that moment, so I tend to curse now to make up for it.

This happened again 2 weeks later, whilst sleeping in a ditch near a freeway. There were only 3 LEO that time - I guess my lack of resistance the first time made them feel safer the 2nd time. As if the guns and batons are not enough already. There was no baton used the 2nd time. Instead, they took joy in driving past me every few minutes to make sure I was still moving along, and not stopping anywhere to try to wash my face or sit and gather myself.

While I admit the 2nd time was probably in response to my going to the sherrif station and complaining about the 1st time, I can't figure out the 1st time at all. Not that there is anything to figure out - illegal activity like this is what LEO does best, based on first-hand experience.

I read your post when it first appeared on the board and have been debating about posting a reply. While your account paints a picture of overly aggressive enforcement by the deputies, it is still only your side of the story. Before you become angry, please read the whole post.

It seems to be a common view in our society that transients are poor, helpless people, who are just down on their luck. When I first started working as a police officer, I was surprised at the way most police officers showed little empathy toward transients. As I spent more time dealing with transients myself, I came to have a certain understanding for my fellow officers’ views.

When you repeatedly get calls to the local park, because there are transients smoking marijuana next to the play sets, taking a bath in the public restroom, using the kids’ sandbox as their toilet, exposing themselves to mothers / baby sitters, stealing from the park patrons and yelling obscenities at the children, you quickly come to view transients as a problem rather than a group in need of empathy.

Combine this with the fact that many transients are openly hostile towards police, often carry weapons and commonly fail to comply with lawful orders, and you have a recipe for your situation.

I’m not saying that the deputies you encountered acted properly, however, you don’t know what information they had prior to arriving at your location of choice.

The fact that there were six deputies suggests that they may have had repeated problems with other transients in the same area. They may have received a complaint from a citizen that believed you to be a subject that had posed problems in the park before. They may have pepper sprayed you because their experience led them to believe that you would act in a violent manner when they woke you up. These are all possible circumstances that you were not privy to at the time this occurred.

Or maybe they were just looking for someone to beat up. Point is you don’t know.

Was the experience painful and hurtful to you? Certainly.

Did the deputies do this to you purely out of malice? Who knows, but it is very possible that this was not the case.

Did you return to that park after this happened? My guess is ‘no’. Would you have been more apt to try to sleep there again if they had asked you very politely to leave? My guess is ‘yes’. In other words, their actions achieved their goal, namely to make you leave the park permanently.

Your second experience is again based on speculation on your part as to the motives and reasons of the involved deputies. Point is again that you don’t know, you are guessing based on your side of the story.

Keep in mind that there are always two sides to every story.

I have no doubt that your pain over these incidents is real. I sincerely hope that some day you will be able to overcome your rage and give other LEOs the chance to show you that we are not all bad.

Best of luck to you.

motorman587

How come the aurthor of this thread has not replied back????????????? This thread to me, is just to stir the pot!!!!!!!!! blush.gif

How come the author of this thread has not replied back????????????? This thread to me, is just to stir the pot!!!!!!!!! blush.gif

Wow John, you come up with that all by yourself * ?? lmao.giflmao.gif Man you crack me up!!!!

*Not meant in hurtful or damaging way. Was sarcastic and with tongue firmly in cheek.

motorman587
How come the author of this thread has not replied back????????????? This thread to me, is just to stir the pot!!!!!!!!! blush.gif

Wow John, you come up with that all by yourself * ?? lmao.giflmao.gif Man you crack me up!!!!

*Not meant in hurtful or damaging way. Was sarcastic and with tongue firmly in cheek.

Wow, could I say something very mean at this time, but as a good friend will keep my tongue in my cheek or keep the fingers off the key board.............. grin.gif

How come the aurthor of this thread has not replied back????????????? This thread to me, is just to stir the pot!!!!!!!!! blush.gif

i agree..let's hear from the poster.

Archived