IGNORED

Patience's Progress

Les is more

Patience just called from Denver. It seems he made short work of Kansas. He rode through to Denver in temps ranging from 60 to 75 degrees.

He's having some computer problems but is hoping to be able to post his own tale and pics soon. He may post pics of his GPS. Allow me to say, though, That he's floogging the living daylights out of that 650. blush.gif

He'll tonight in Denver and is still planning on ending his BBG here in the wee hours on the 2nd, here in San Diego.

As we were departing from dinner in KC Wednesday night it was mentioned wind was forecast for Thursday to which Patience replied that he liked riding in windy conditions. On Thursday as the wind was whistling through the power lines and the hanging stop lights were swinging I couldn't help but think that Kansas was offering him a really good taste of the kind of riding he likes. I'll ride in the wind if that's what I encounter but it is one type of riding you won't hear me say I enjoy. Glad to hear he's getting along well in his journey.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I do admire what he's doing. I wish I'd do more of the same...want to do something, plan it and carry it out for the love of the adventure.

Patience just called from Denver. It seems he made short work of Kansas. He rode through to Denver in temps ranging from 60 to 75 degrees.

He's having some computer problems but is hoping to be able to post his own tale and pics soon. He may post pics of his GPS. Allow me to say, though, That he's floogging the living daylights out of that 650. blush.gif

He'll tonight in Denver and is still planning on ending his BBG here in the wee hours on the 2nd, here in San Diego.

Leslie. You're right. The 650 is very tolerant of owners who like to hold the throttle to its stops into a fierce headwind though. I need a faster bike. wink.gif Thank you for posting an update.

Dude... Okay. I'm in Denver. I ended up not having internet at my hotel in KC due to needing to take my tablet apart and fix it again. I have no idea which connection does what, so I figure if I tighten them all, that will help.

Anyway. Leikam, I am really beginning to identify with your sig line. "Your prophecies of doom only incite me more." :gring:

You may notice I've typed gring instead of grin. I've chosen not to correct this mystype in order to give a little plug for a local brewing company. I honestly don't remember the n... oh wait. Breckenridge brewing company I belive. In any case. Here's a photo. I tried the Snowplow stout, which is a seasonal beer, but is pretty decent as far as stouts go.

normal_DSCN1428.JPG

So anyway...

I must say however, that the stout I had while at BB's Lawnside Barbeque was one of the best I've tried in quite some time. Very tasty. I don't remember the name in this case, but I'm sure Ken will.

Well...

If Adam didn't get out this afternoon, there is a larger ice storm forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Jeff:

I caught that same forecast. While I was riding in the current freezing fog we had, I pulled over to wait out the storm, and de-ice my face shield. I passed a bank which said 23 degrees F. Interestingly, you can really tell the difference when the temps jump from 23 to 24 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised, though just as cold. The pics don't do the ice justice, but it's very similar to the pics David posted recently.

normal_DSCN1404.JPG

Funny though, there were really no gas stations at that exit, but right off the road, there did happen to be this beautiful Harley dealership! Notice all the Harleys outside. grin.gif

normal_DSCN1408.JPG

normal_DSCN1405.JPG

(As a note, and not surprisingly, the girls at the dealership didn't know the forecast, because hey... what kind of nut would be riding in this weather anyway? grin.gif). After hearing the forecast, I figured it was better to press on in freezing fog than it was to get an even bigger ice storm and be stuck for a week. So I walked back outside, fired up the bike, and waited for it to warm up. Unexpectedly, the bike wasn't the only thing that needed to warm up, however. Any of you seen this before?

normal_DSCN1406.JPG

That was a pic of my Dad's borrowed 2620 Garmin, which I can't afford btw, because I've got an investment into a certain half-broken tablet pc. Bugger. tongue.gif

I rode in the ice storm, stopping intermittently to de-ice my face shield, for the next couple hours or so. Once I hit DesMoines (sp?), the ice cleared up, and I was able continue at speeds which, indicated on my garmin, might possibly be able to get me a ticket. I did take a picture, but no chances here. grin.gif

So I got to Kansas City for a wonderful dinner with the myriad of folks who showed up. It was a pleasure meeting you all, and next time through Kansas, we'll definitely have to plan another get-together!! I believe there's a pic in another thread under ride planning. Umm. Here.

I got up at 6am and headed to Colorado. It was somewhat interesting actually, which is a lot to say for Kansas. Though I was given forecasts of gloom and doom (another nod to Leikam) for the next day between Kansas city and Colorado, the temps were between 60 and 75 degrees F, and there was only a strong crosswind for the first part of the trip. I discovered I don't like crosswinds when the roads are wet. Blah. That is very uncomfortable. After I got a little further west and the winds died down though, I was provided with much humor in seeing dried salt on the roads while traveling in 75 degree weather. Crazy stuff. To think that that salt was merited only a few days before.

I took another pic of my garmin here, which I will not post, in order not to incriminate myself. About an hour East of Denver though, I did meet another 650 rider, and got to talk with her at a gas station. Greg, I apologize. I looked everywhere for those cards you gave me, and for the life of me, could not find them. I did mention the site though. thumbsup.gif

Her name is Kayleen, and she's Australian. She's been in Texas for the last six years, and has recently been transferred by her company (Schlumberger), to Calgary. As a mid-life crisis type of situation, she went out and bought a 650GS this last year. She's also taken up snowboarding, which I'm inclined to think may suit her better in Calgary than riding. thumbsup.gif

Here's a pic:

normal_DSCN1410.JPG

Oh. She took a pic of me too.

normal_DSCN1412.JPG

So I rode on to Denver today, where I needed to get a couple of things done. One, find an apartment to live in for a bit. Check. Two.. dang.. what was two... ummm... Oh. Okay. Install accessory lighting. Here's the dilemna.

normal_DSCN1423.JPG

My crash at El Paseo ripped off one of my lights, so I figured I'd install more. I recently purchased a set of lights, which I figured would mount well with an L bracket to my current faring. This was a great plan. However, as I came to find out, I needed 3.5 inch L shaped brackets. Home Depot carried 2.5 inch. 3 inch. 4 inch. No 3.5 inch though. So.. I figured I'd post this dilemna on the board, and see if I could get any ideas as to what to do.

normal_DSCN1423.JPG

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I wouldn't be able to get a workable response in a couple hours before home depot closed. That said, I figured I'd better find a way to work with what I had. There was NO way I was going to try a BBG with only one headlight burning. Well. I carry 3 tool boxes, a torque wrench, and an air compressor in my top case. Most of the things in them are tools. I did manage to find quite a few zip ties though, which, by the way, are just as useful as duct tape. I ended up coming up with a solution that should suit many 650 owners. I zip tied it to my frame.

normal_DSCN1424.JPG

normal_DSCN1425.JPG

Unless the radiator melts the zip ties, it should be fine. I attached a security zip tie just in case though.

rrrich, I did get your message this afternoon after I arrived. I apologize that I did not have the phone mounted to the autocom yet, as I had stated in an earlier message. That's one of my projects for today. I originally thought I did not have the parts, but found them in one of my bags today. Tomorrow, I should have the phone up and running. Thanks for the well-wishes!

Leslie. Thanks for posting the updates! See you tomorrow, hopefully before you go to bed. crazy.gif

Oh... and as a parting shot, I believe I've heard it said somewhere that BMW owners dress well when compared to owners of other motorcycle brands. I'm here to prove that's true. You all only wish you could look as cool as me.

normal_DSCN1415.jpg

Orange Patagonia shirt, baby blue Patagonia fleece pants, and camoflague gaiters from Gander Mountain. To paraphrase a somewhat dated song... "I'm too sexy for this thread."

See y'all in Cali!

So please 'splain this to me. You meet this good looking woman, on another 650, as crazy as you, and you didn't change your plans and head wherever she was? The cold has pickled your brain.

So please 'splain this to me. You meet this good looking woman, on another 650, as crazy as you, and you didn't change your plans and head wherever she was? The cold has pickled your brain.
Take another look at that picture of Adam in the mirror, David. Don't you see someone sneak away behind him?
Francois_Dumas

Hi Adam,

sadly I cannot see your pictures.. they load too slow on the feeble connection I have here in the mountains. But I did read your progress report..... and wanted to wish you a Safe Ride and a Wonderful 2005 with many of your tales to read !! clap.gifclap.gif

'Warm' regards,

Francois

4:50am. Getting ready to leave. Been up since 2am trying to plan gas stops on the 2620. It sucks for route planning. That auxillary headlight is yellow. Blah. Need an aux gas can... 160 mile range sucks. What the heck am I thinking... Man it's early. Not too many photos coming today. With the frequent fuel stops, I won't have much time. Weather forecast is absolutely horrible just about everywhere surrounding my route, but perfect along the pink line, so God willing, it'll be another beautiful day.

Cheers!

Latest from our hero-

Adam is in Truth or Consequences N.M. where, appropriately enough, he ran out of gas just shy of the gas station exit. He is, as I type, pushing his bike uphill to get gas. He's still aiming to be at our place around 2 AM. He's had a tiny equipment delay (left his Airhawk in his hotel room dopeslap.gif) but has had good weather and favorable riding conditions...except for that out of fuel thing, of course. crazy.gif

Ride, Adam!

SheRidesABeemer

I wanted to comment on a cold Garmin 2620. I see this happen when I leave Garmin out for the night (in the car) and the temp is around freezing. Remember Garmin is just a computer. If you leave your laptop out overnight, it would refuse to boot until it warms up. I think it's a good feature that it will warm itself up before booting. Doesn't do you much good when you want to get going.

I suggest you bring it inside when you have the opportunity, like at a lunch break or what have you.

Gail

Our BBG saga ends in Lordsburg N.M. where our intrepid traveler is giving up his quest and bowing to the evil spirits in the bike's electrical system. AAA is coming to pick the bike up tomorrow and take it somewhere where the drain on the battery can be figured out.

Bummer that his 1500 mile effort had to be aborted due to bike problems. All other things, the weather, his attitude, etc. seemed primed for success. Sorry Adam. frown.gif

Adam will be posting a ride tale or at least more complete information a little later. For now, he's just going to bed.

Our BBG saga ends in Lordsburg N.M. where our intrepid traveler is giving up his quest and bowing to the evil spirits in the bike's electrical system.
Bummer! That's bad news.

Another try next week?

AAA is coming to pick the bike up tomorrow and take it somewhere where the drain on the battery can be figured out.

Ummm...aux. lighting? tongue.gif

Sorry Adam. That's too bad. You really had your blood and guts into that ride. Oh well. It's good fodder for next time and a few tales at the local pub.

Happy birthday and I hope you work out the problems soon enough to get back on the road. thumbsup.gif

Well bummer Adam. But it was great fun meeting you and some more of the "on-line gang" anyway. What ever you do next we're sure you will make it an adventure!

Cheers in '05!

Great call Matt on the battery drain!!!

Re Adam's journey..holy shit man this has heroic overtones. Mamoth winter ride for a self professed crashbug from the ice kingdom to socal, beset by gremlins, princesses and the occasional demon. Head in the stratosphere, damn the torpedoes full bore connection to heart.

On the rational/emotional scale, my guess is most on this board, me too, are rationally based. Adam, God love him, is a show of force for the wild heart living in us all. I can't wait to meet this stout brew incarnation of Zorba!

Godspeed.

santaferider

I'm sure that by now Adam must have figured it out, but in case he overslept, the best BMW Motorrad service in NM is in Deming, just a few miles East of Lordsburg.

Just got off the phone with Adam who got a jump from AAA and forged ahead to Tucson, AZ. Adam is fairly new (four months!) to riding and had never learned about "wear bars". It seems he had confused "wear bars" with "metal cords showing through rubber: a sign of impending disaster" and has been riding with his "shiny metal wear bars" showing for 300-400 miles now. blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifeek.gif

Without too much effort we managed to convince him that it would be prudent to . . . "Get the heck off of those tires, ASAP!" dopeslap.gif and try to get his bike some new shoes before continuing on to San Diego.

If anyone reading this is in the Tucson area and can give him a call on his cell phone (which is in his profile: HERE) that would be very much appreciated!

As you might expect, Adam is still in great spirits and does not seem in the slightest bit daunted by this turn of events! eek.gif

We'll keep you posted as the adventure continues! thumbsup.gif

Go ADAM!! clap.gif

Wheels Rollin'

Playing a bit of a "Monday morning quarterback", I wish I'd thought of looking over Adam's bike more thoroughly when we were together in Kansas City this past week... By the time we finished dinner at BB's Lawnside and happily adjourned to the parking lot -- as Ken stated elsewhere, the music was L-O-U-D -- it was quite dark, the structure's lighting not really providing all that much... We poked and prodded around a bit while standing about discussing his paint/finish and some of his other planned mods, but I'm not sure any of us noticed anything awry... I followed him out of the parking lot to the point where he turned into his motel's driveway and didn't notice any handling swiggles -- that, even on moist, damp pavement and uneven/off camber surfaces << raised eyebrows + pursed lips + an' sincere expression of "whew" >>... Under those circumstances and the conditions through which he subsequently rode, I'm thankful he made it as far as he did -- an' as safely...

What a valuable lesson for me as well << appreciative nod >>... From now on, I'll be scanning the bike(s) of my riding companion(s) as much as I do my own...

Gifts can sometimes come from the most unexpected of sources << sigh >>...

-- Bill

It seems he had confused "wear bars" with "metal cords showing through rubber: a sign of impending disaster" and has been riding with his "shiny metal wear bars" showing for 300-400 miles now. blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifeek.gif

Wait a minute...

I gotta tell ya, those metal cords sure dig into snow and ice that we get up here! grin.gif

Sounds as if Adam forgot to put on the "summer" tires, huh?

Adam, do what they say down south, and put on some tires that are ALL black in the tread area. Shiny metal does not work well down there.

Also, turn off some of those accessories, and give that widdo alternator a break!!

BTW...WHO was it that gave ADAM the JUMP??

Forge ahead, and GOOD LUCK..... thumbsup.gif

PS, weather sux up here, don't come back too soon!

Doom. Doom! Doom!!

(and Happy Birthday, Adam)

Thanks for the encouragement! grin.gif

ok, Iamcurrentlylyingon the floor @ the comfort inn trying to use voice inputs with my tablet pc. Just spent 2 hours Taking this bugger apart and fixing it too. No pictures in this post. My camera's acting up as well, and I think I may have lost my CF card. I think this is going very, very, slowly. It has taken me five minutes to write these sentences. Okay. Switching to handwriting.

Well, the last couple days have certainly been an adventure Dang, this is slow too. More to follow if my poor 650 will carry me to San Diego. A portable keyboard is in my future...

Jim VonBaden
Adam, happy birthday.

That which does not kill you...aw, nevermind..

Dang Steve! You trying to jinx the boy? grin.gif

Happy B-day Adam! thumbsup.gifI hope you live to see many more!

I am also glad my cross country trip last January didn't go as your's has! But hey, it's you! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Dang Steve! You trying to jinx the boy?

Hey, he was jinxed when I met him! It wasn't me!

grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Maybe we can have Bush 41 and Clinton do a "side" fundraiser for the boy! Since they are now working to raise funds for the Tsunami disaster, it wouldn't be that big of deal to add some Patience to the issue... grin.gif

Maybe we can have Bush 41 and Clinton do a "side" fundraiser for the boy! Since they are now working to raise funds for the Tsunami disaster, it wouldn't be that big of deal to add some Patience to the issue... grin.gif

I was thinking the mods should name Adam "Snownami", Rider of the cold wave grin.gif

BTW, I would keep Clinton away from the bike, he would just add astroturf to it smirk.gif

Hmmm. Still in Tuscon. Howdy from the Honda dealership.

Started the day with a merry trip to the nearest Yamaha dealer that had a tire my size. They said no problem, and were very cool, so I wandered over to a restaurant for lunch while they took an hour to change my tire out. Half an hour later, and right before they brought my salad, the service fellow gave me a call to let me know that they don't have the correct wrench to be able to take my back tire off. After finishing my Cobb salad, I wandered back over to the shop to get my bike. They suggested I try the BMW dealership. I explained tha Iron Horse isn't open on Mondays. They thought that was weird. So do I.

They offered to sell me the tire, and I could take it to some other shop to have mounted. I explained that I didn't have a way of carrying the tire, and though I've carried tires around my waste while traveling before, I didn't entirely feel comfortable riding around the city this way. Understandable, they said.

I rode over to where Southwest Moto Tire is supposed to be according to the GPS coords I have. Well, it didn't appear to be there, and no one had heard of it, so I figured I'd move on. At that point, it started to downpour. Due to the forecast already predicting rain, the gear was already in place, and I remained dry and happy. Riding down the block to a Rite-Aid, I pulled up intending to use the phone book to find some other bike shops. Making a few calls, I finally found a shop that had the right tire size in stock. At this point, there wasn't even much in the way of metal left in the center of the tire, I had worn the cords down so far.

The shop that had the tire in stock was Arizona Honda. They're expensive, just for future reference. $63 bucks to change a tire. I was desperate though. Asking for directions, they informed me it was about ten miles. Well, I'd already put around three hundred and twenty miles on this tire since the cords started showing. Heck. What's 10 more?

Fifteen minutes later, I pulled into the Honda shop with thirteen pounds of tire pressure remaining. No problem to change the tire out they said.

I advised they check the socket.

Hmm. That's a pretty big 12 point socket, they said, as one after another service guy came out to see if they could think of any way to get that wheel off.

Nope, no luck. They suggested I try the BMW dealership. I explained that the BMW dealership is not open on Mondays. They thought that was weird. So do I.

At this point however, I figured I'd try to make it over to Iron Horse, in the event that someone might be there doing inventory or somesuch. Turns out it was back in the direction I came from. About 13 miles.

Heck... what's 13 more miles?...

The Honda service guy was nice enough to top my tire up to 29 pounds. I didn't want to go any higher, knowing the thinness of the rubber, and the fact that there was now tiny little metal threads poking into it.

13 miles later, and after passing multiple dealerships, including the Indian dealership where the service guys were standing outside pointing to the guy on the BMW. Because he was cool, and not because his rear tire was flat, right?

Finally, I made it to Iron Horse. Locked up tight with every door and window sealed, and no cars in the parking lot. Not a good sign. So I banged on the doors for a bit. No luck.

Across the street was Sparks cycle supply, so I figured I'd give that a shot. Much to my surprise, they didn't have the right size socket either, but suggested I buy one somewhere. Now there's a thought, I thought. Fifty bucks for a hotel room, or twenty bucks for a socket if I could find one. Right down the road, there ended up being a little tool shop which had 1 and 13/16ths wrenches. Translated, that's 46mm. Close enough!!! Since the guys at the honda dealership were so nice, I figured I'd limp back over there.... with my flashers on, in case my tire popped. Never the one to have quite enough adventure with any given situation, I figured I'd pick up a big freakin' screw right in the middle of where the cords used to be. Now my tire was flat. A lady slowed down on the road, and asked me if my tire was supposed to be that flat. Yes I replied. It's a BMW thing. They all do that. Actually, I explained I was on the way to get a new tire at the moment. Looking at the GPS, I figured I had a few more miles to get back to the Honda Dealer. Hey. I'd already done like... 345 mile since my cords started showing, and my tire was already flat. What's a few more?

I pulled over to the side of the road, got out my air compressor, and found that the tire just wouldn't inflate over 20 pounds, no matter how long I ran it. So with 20 rapidly escaping pounds, and my flashers still on, I made it to the freeway, and limped along the shoulder for a while.

Back at the Honda dealership, I triumphantly set my socket on the counter, and they were happy to sell me a mez4 for $152, and mount it for $63. Okay. What was I going to do? Go somewhere else? My wallet is a bit lighter now, but I suppose that lifts my confidence as well. I'll be setting off this evening, in the dark, for 400 miles of riding in storms, high winds and mudslides. At least my tire's not flat. That should make it easier. clap.gif

See ya for lunch tomorrow Les and Jamie!

russell_bynum

A lady slowed down on the road, and asked me if my tire was supposed to be that flat. Yes I replied. It's a BMW thing. They all do that.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Boy, you're certifiable.

Ride Patience, Ride!!!! cool.gif

Scratch that. They just found another nut they can't get off. 55mm recessed 12 point. They're calling all over town to find one. Looks like it may be another night in Tuscon. I'm beginning to become frustrated with BMW's use of really non-standard parts.

Jim VonBaden

Adam, what can I say? You are insane! And god bless you for being just that! We all appreciate your travels and tribulations! thumbsup.gif

You inspire me to be ever in search of adventure, and to check my tires more often! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

PS I vote for IMPATIENCE as a new handle! grin.gif

Jim VonBaden
Scratch that. They just found another nut they can't get off. 55mm recessed 12 point. They're calling all over town to find one. Looks like it may be another night in Tuscon. I'm beginning to become frustrated with BMW's use of really non-standard parts.

I'm confused, your bike doesn't come with the necessary tools to remove your rear wheel? I thought ALL BMW's came with those tools? confused.gif

Jim cool.gif

Is the CS different from the GS because of the funky back-end? If not, I'd think you could thank Aprilia as much as BMW.

55mm, eh? That is weird, though. That's why (on my larger ride) I tend to carry enough tools to get most of the thing apart.

As for the weirdness of Iron Horse being closed on Monday, that's pretty close to TADT, too. (Only a few exceptions, I think.)

Greg

russell_bynum

You probably already checked, but doesn't the bike's toolkit have the necessary sockets to change a tire??

I know the RT does. Shoot...even my CBR has a toolkit that'll let you change a tire.

Kudos to Arizona Honda. They can't get it done this evening, but are going to give me a ride to a hotel, then trailer the bike for free to BMW tomorrow morning, since they don't feel comfortable with me riding on it. Nite folks.

Jim VonBaden
Nope. Not in toolkit.

OK< here is one time you will see me knock BMW! The F'n bike doesn't have a tool kit capable of handling a simple tire change? That is outrageous! dopeslap.gifeek.gif

On the other hand, I think I would have known that BEFORE I left on a long trip. Sorry Adam, but geez! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Adam-

Been following your adventure and all I can say is WOW! Keep in mind everyone he's representin' the great state of Minnesota - and they make 'em tough up there! thumbsup.gif

Seriously, Adam great to hear the Honda dealer is helping you out. That's just NUTS the Bike's onboard toolkit was lacking like that. Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night. You should have much better weather tomorrow too... - ride safe.

russell_bynum

Nope. Not in toolkit

Unbelievable. What bonehead decided to do that. dopeslap.gif The RT even has a feeler gauge for setting the ABS sensor clearance (why...I have no idea...I've never had to set it...ever.) My Honda has everything you need to get the bodywork off, the wheels off, etc.

I have to wonder what tools ARE in the toolkit, if it doesn't have what you need to do something basic like this.

Been following your adventure and all I can say is WOW! Keep in mind everyone he's representin' the great state of Minnesota - and they make 'em tough up there!

Well, they made one tough anyway, and it appears he wants out. Haven't all the rest of them pulled the Stabil from the shelves already?

Greg

russell_bynum

On the other hand, I think I would have known that BEFORE I left on a long trip. Sorry Adam, but geez!

I dunno. I know what they say when you assume, but I would have assumed that it had what it needed. If I bought a bike from West Coast Choppers, then I wouldn't expect a decent toolkit. But cripes...this is a fricking BMW. I have to wonder what IS in the toolkit?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ride Patience, Ride!!!! cool.gif

Funny, he doesn't look like Kevin Costner... crazy.gif

Rock on, Adam. Your perseverance is how Ironbutt Rallies are won.

Archived