IGNORED

Looking for Suggestions for a 9 mm. Semi-Auto

Mike

Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II .45 has become my default carry gun
The Pro Carry's are very well made (like all Kimbers) and almost reasonably priced if you get a good discount at a gun show. Full-size magazine in a Commander length. Nice.

+2 on the Hi Power, used to have one and don't know why I sold it.

Mike,

I'd suggest heading to a shop like GAT in Dundee, and rent a bunch to see what you like.

I ended up with an S&W M&P 9mm. The feel in my hand was nicer than the glock, IMHO.

DTool also let me shoot his Sig when in Cali a few months back. I want one, that gun really worked well for me. But the external hammer just seemed odd, and there was the increased price.

You're also welcome to shoot my M&P, I know it's a haul for you, but the Gurnee Bass Pro has a really nice indoor range. Probably best in the area.

When things warm up a bit, I had a lot of fun with these guys end of last year:

http://www.bristolranges.com/Action_Pistol/actionpistol.html

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

If you want a .45 check out this Para Ordnance 1911, and also note the light weight.

Product Code: PCX745R

Caliber: .45 ACP

Rounds: 8+1

Barrel: 4.25"

Weight: 28 oz.

Length: 7.75"

Height: 5.75"

Hammer: Spurred

Sights: 3 - Dot

Receiver: Alloy

Finish: Regal

Magazine: PNM845

987332-Para-OrdnanceLTC_45.gif.4c5d4535814334a06ac9302f3c682b7e.gif

Mike,

I think your best bet is for you to decide what the mission is going to be. As an LEO, I carry an H&K USP 9mm while I'm on duty. Off duty I carry a Browning Hi Power. Both will drive tacks. The Hi Power is just easier for me to conceal when I'm not in uniform.

Go to a gun store/range that allows you to shoot different types of pistols and ammo. Find one that fits you and practice with it. Practice a lot. I teach rookie and veteran LEO's in all aspects of Use of Force. Shooting is a perishable skill and needs to be practiced consistently.

From the Rules of a Gunfight: "In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived." And use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket." Good luck.

glock, reliability. nycity police use it as their weapon of choice for all their officers. glocks just work. i own a g36 for carry and a g21 for home defence. you will not be dissapointed. try the website. glock.com great site and lots of good info taters p.s. get a comp tac holster for it taters pps i use exclusively corbon dpx bullets. it's made by barnes. they will send you a free video. i think it's the best defensive round out there

Lots of good info. I carry a Sig and love it. Shoots both double and single action, very smooth and reliable. Cost more than a Glock but the Sig is pretty. I shoot my Sig better than I shootmy buddies Glock ( I am sure it has nothing to do with shooting thousands of rounds through the SIg grin.gif) I can say in 18 years I do not recall a malfunction with my Sig (either my 9 or my 40). As previously mentioned Glocks are reliable, but not very pretty. Kimber & H&K are wonderful but you will pay a premium. In the end Rich_O is right find one that you "Shoot the Best." Keep in mind that we all like to practice and be prepared but when the rubber hits the road things change. As long as the recoil won't keep you from practicing I think it is a bit overrated. Once you get into the Sh#* you won't feel or remember it. But you must be able to tolerate it while at the range. The most important thing is ability to shoot well and as previously mentioned the range is different than real life. The last stats that I saw (granted it has been a number of years since I reviewed them) showed a 22 caliber killed more people in the US than any other caliber. Shot placement is more important than the size of the round, generally speaking.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Once again, at least take a look at the Kel-tec P3-AT. It's very compact .380 (9mm Kurz) that you'll always have with you because it can easily be carried in your pocket. It's worth a look.

Archived