IGNORED

What were you driving in '65?

Edgar

I was ten years old. Apart from my bicycle, this was my main ride:

110_1965_a.jpg

We lived on a farm, but since letting me loose in the fields with the big equipment carried too much risk, I didn't get to operate the large tractors very much. However, the parcel where our house was located was about three acres in size and with the cost of labor (that being me) at $0/hour, I got to cut the grass every week. It took forever, but went a bit quicker if you approached the task with the idea of maximizing your speed. After I finished, I'd find an out of the way location and burn rubber . . . well, actually more like spin the tires in the gravel.

It was kind of lame, in the way only a ten-year-old boy can be lame, but it was the closest I could get to high-performance machinery.

A 1963 Sunbeam Alpine GT. It was a lovely shade of gold, and had a stock fiberglass hardtop which one person (me) could remove by himself. It had a 1600 single carb engine which even I could tune by myself, and an excellent tool kit. I still have the "king Dick" wrench supplied. It had wire wheels, burled walnut dash, and black leather upholstery. I put a muntz 4 track tape player in it and boy did it attract the girls. Our favorite game was to take Mulholland hwy from Hollywood all the way to Malibu Canyon road and then out to the coast. My favorite car of all time. We used to leave the top at home; put a blanket inside; turn up the heat and cruise for miles and miles.

Wow, there are people still alive from that year!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

(1976 baby, ducking) blush.gif

I drove a 1953 Jaguar XK-120 Drophead Coupe and rode a 1954 Harley FLCH Hydraglide (both used). Boy, was I on top of the world then!

981588-53xk-120Jag.JPG.c3d97ad98a6cf3cc4dee46e618af56ce.JPG

My parent's Rambler American convertible. Yellow with black interior and extremely sexey for an 18 year old who wanted to make an impression at the local drive-in in Merced, California. Of course, years later, American Graffiti made our town and Modesto (the original town's model for the movie) famous. So crusin' the drag was very popular and a convertible allowed for multiple strategic activities when up against motorcyles, opposition mustangs and 442's.

Bruce

Not from a U.S. auto maker--- I was driving (and loving) a:

202984_158502088.jpg

Rich, I had a Sea Foam Blue (or something like that) version of your car. Bought it new in June '65, my first new car. Had a '60 Pontiac Star Chief Wiiiide Track before that.

Here is a pic of me about to take the ride of my life in 65. Man what a trip!

sperm_detail_nucleus_diagram.jpg

It's good to see you've matured Shawn, you've made it all the way to the delivery vessel! lmao.giflmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
It's good to see you've matured Shawn, you've made it all the way to the delivery vessel! lmao.giflmao.gif

Yes, having you as a role model has truly paid off! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

wave.gifI was in graduate school in NYC. wave.gif

Our vehicle of choice was an R69,

which we ran with the classic sidecar with trunk and spare tire during the winter ice. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Ahhhh, those were the days

A 1956 Ford two door coup. I was in the 10th grade and asked my dad for a car. One day he towed this wrecked '56 Ford home and said "fix it up and it's yours". He had bought a second one which was wrecked on the other side and in worse shape for spare parts. It taught me a lot about working on cars after rebuilding the engine, clutch, brakes and most of the rest of the car. Turns out, that was his objective. Two years later I drove it off to college. It was beautiful. An invaluable experience.

Yes, having you as a role model has truly paid off! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

If I'm nothing else, I'm a bad example....

And that's been working out ok for me.

Just remember to call me Richard! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

'60 cORVAIR..4-Door .. but not until 1967 when I bought it and when I could take it out for a spin w/o my daddy noticing it was gone (I was underage w/o license)

BluesTraveler

Found me one of these when I was around 11 years old.

ARS_Ad1.jpg

My first motorcycle and took me eveywhere including those places I wasn't suppose to go. grin.gif

981775-ARS_Ad1.jpg.b5eb422f884a4905437eeec84fda83a4.jpg

My dad owned a 1960 Ford Taunus like this one. Although I was not old enough to legally drive, he did allow me to sit in the middle and I "drove" the car by applying the throttle with my left foot. I did pretty well as I recall. This was when I was between 6 and 8 years old.

Ford_Taunus_17M_deLuxe_1.jpg

My Dad brought home one of these(except it was Red),

MVC-592S_small.JPG

He said if you can make is run you can ride it.

I got it to run with a lot of work and since we lived waaaay out in the country, I rode it alot. I was 12

at the time. Since then I alway had something with two wheels.

1963 Austin Healy Sprite, MKII...what a POS that thing was. Of course I was too young and stupid to know any better, so I cheerfully put it into the first retaining wall I came across. Ahhhh, the good ol' days.

Here is a pic of me about to take the ride of my life in 65. Man what a trip!

sperm_detail_nucleus_diagram.jpg

....You got me beat Shawn, I wasn't even that far along in '65!!! Not for another 2 years!

I'm with you Jamie, these folks are way old*! lmao.gif

* - well preserved or extremely active for their age group.

Dave McReynolds

kp_nam_boot.jpg

When I wasn't walking in these 1965, I got chauffeured a lot in the backs of trucks and airplanes. I don't think I drove a mile myself during 1965.

Had a Corvair Monza Spyder. What brakes? What clutch? Left it under a snow drift in Squaw Valley, California in 1972. Anybody find it?

Bruce

Archived