IGNORED

::..sO -- who's pitchin' a tent..?? Tenters reply only please.!..::

hANNAbONE

Hey....I'm a tenter! Been tenting forever, since my first cross country BMW tour in 1970 on a 1969 BMW R69SUS. I used two army ponchos and camped all over US and California. What's up?

Fightingpiper

I'll be bringing camping equiptment for the trip but will be at the hotel while in John Day. Now I just have to figure out which equiptment to buy as all I have is an old pup tent from the 1980's. Any suggetions on tent, bag, and mat for a 6'3 280 pounder to be comfortable? That is if it is possible for someone my size to be comfortable sleeping on the ground..... eek.gif (off to Snap Fitness I go... dopeslap.gif)

Any suggetions on tent, bag, and mat for a 6'3 280 pounder to be comfortable?

I am a tenter. I camped at Top of the Rockies last year and went on a week long camping tour of the Rockies last year. please see my active post. "New tent for the season" thumbsup.gif

Fair weather Camper here. en route to John Day, Clear skies, I'll be pitching a tent, rain will have me searching for Motel. @ John Day, reservations at Dreamers Lodge as I'll be joined by SO. Then pitching tents again to and @ MOA in Gillette, Wyoming. More Tent pitching along the Continental Divide, this city boy is already feeling like a __________ing Cowboy (fill in title from Kid Rock Song)

grin.gif

oOOOH....yEAH.... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Let's try this again...I guess knowing that I put the question in the "UN" forum that many of you would pick up on the fact that I was inferring to camping/tenting at John Day -- confused.gifconfused.gif

Let's ask it like this -- thumbsup.gif

"...how many are tenting/camping at the "UN" in July...?" clap.gifeek.gifclap.gif

That oughta change some posts... lurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

oKAY...reeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy gotta get elementary for all of you - - I'm cool for that...

W H O

I S

G O I N G

T O

P I T C H

A

T E N T

A T

T H E

"U N"

(J O H N D A Y, O R E G O N)

I N

J U L Y

????????????????????????????????????

dopeslap.gif

dopeslap.gif

dopeslap.gif

I have pitched horse shoes,

I have pitched a fit,

I have pitched base balls,

But I have never pitched a tent.

Is it any fun, Son?

I pitched a tent once at Lady Bird park in Texas, it leaked all night long. Glad to be rid of it.

On the other hand, I use a REI 1/2 dome now. I hate it. too short in the head room. packs nice and small though. eek.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hey hANNAbONE! I tried sending you a witty message regarding this very topic but was greeted with:

This user has exceeded their private message quota and may not receive any new private messages.

Dood! Clean out your in-box! grin.gif

Hey hANNAbONE! I tried sending you a witty message regarding this very topic but was greeted with:

This user has exceeded their private message quota and may not receive any new private messages.

Dood! Clean out your in-box! grin.gif

oKAY, dEWD...

I'm cleaned out...!!

Thx for the heads up - Steve

My wife made me buy the biggest danged tent we've ever had....3 rooms......she really likes to be able to spread her stuff all over the place......

Pat

My wife made me buy the biggest danged tent we've ever had....3 rooms......she really likes to be able to spread her stuff all over the place......

Pat

bRING sOME wildlife with ya -- hec, open up a zoo in a wing and charge the UN folks to view "Killers Kamel" - rides, maybe, even..huh grin.gif?

Camper - tenter. Those terms are so twentieth century. smirk.gif

The new term is zipper club member. That's the sound you hear accross the field between midnight and 0600 hrs due to all of those with bladders smaller than our sleep cycle. blush.gif

to all of those with bladders smaller than our sleep cycle.

That is why a lot of people keep an empty Gatoraide bottle in the tent.

to all of those with bladders smaller than our sleep cycle.

That is why a lot of people keep an empty Gatoraide bottle in the tent.

I'll be sure to not take any Gatoraide from you.

Bone? I'll be camped close by that cooler you have with all the beer in it.

Kitsap, yer a wussie! Stay away if you ain't bringin' a tent!

Bone? I'll be camped close by that cooler you have with all the beer in it.

Kitsap, yer a wussie! Stay away if you ain't bringin' a tent!

yOU'RE oN, Doc.!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'M gETTING rev'ved up about the "UN" --

could somebody (Steve maybe) give us a heads up on the weather and temperatures during the 2nd week of July in John'Good'Day??

What will any of us encounter whilst roaming your state and elevation possibilities and weather...

Will I need Gerbing's??

Will a perferated jacket and pants get'er'done??

Will I need a rainfly?

Will I need to zip my fly?? grin.gifgrin.gif What the..... lmao.gif

I'm not Steve, but weather.com says for John Day July average 87 high, 48 low, 0.64" rain. For that kind of travel between heat waves and mountain tops I try to manage from almost freezing to 90+. If it gets hotter than that I travel at night. A not water/windproof jacket, it's rain liner and Gerbing combination does the job.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I'm not Steve,

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. grin.gif

Sorry Paul, I couldn't resist. He's right though. Check out this LINKY for historical weather data. It's probably going to be hot, but we'll counter that with Fantastic roads. Do a map search for Hereford, OR and follow that road in a NNE direction. Then head West to Sumpter. thumbsup.gif

We'll hook you nice folks up... cool.gif

Do a map search for Hereford, OR and follow that road in a NNE direction. Then head West to Sumpter.

At Hereford, do you follow the 245 all the way to Salisbury, then west on Hwy 7 to Sumpter? Where after Sumpter to get back to John Day? (I'm planning now, so might as well creat eanother GPS route when I have the time). thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Do a map search for Hereford, OR and follow that road in a NNE direction. Then head West to Sumpter.

At Hereford, do you follow the 245 all the way to Salisbury, then west on Hwy 7 to Sumpter? Where after Sumpter to get back to John Day? (I'm planning now, so might as well creat eanother GPS route when I have the time). thumbsup.gif

That's gonna be a surprise for later. Can't give away all of our secrets. I think Oregon only has 3 or 4 lousy roads in the state.

i wAS gonna air out my tent and stuff today -- but IT'S GONNA FLIPPIN' SNOW AGAIN TODAY ..!!

!!!!!!!aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

@#$%#$@@%#@#@$%%&& - I .. I.. I..mean daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang it.!

• 4 weeks later...

aWESOME gREG..!

we're gonna have quite a time out there - fo'sho'

oh...the tent has yet to be aired out -- AS WE JUST RECEIVED ANOTHER 1 INCH OF SMALL HAIL AND SLEET THIS MORNING.!

enough already..! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

ohboy ohboy ohboy, my boss has changed his Vacation dates , yeah yeah yeah. really looking like i'll be CAMPING..... yipeeskippy

hEY bONE!!!

Rainfly, yES!

Not so much for rain, but dew. Gets soggy at night.

yOU gonna bring the cooler? Got any good Aw-wa microbrews comin' this way?

kIDDIN of course! Leave 'em home, you won't find better brews than Oregon state..

FlyinGreg...you sellin' the bike? Buyin' a new one?

MB>

hEY bONE!!!

Rainfly, yES!

Not so much for rain, but dew. Gets soggy at night.

yOU gonna bring the cooler? Got any good Aw-wa microbrews comin' this way?

kIDDIN of course! Leave 'em home, you won't find better brews than Oregon state..

MB>

i aM fEARFUL that I'll pack some wonderful "Boulevard Pale Ale" [my fav] / from KC and not have any left after the loooooooooooooooong trip across So.Dakota and eastern Wyoming.

But SOMEHOW I'll bring at least one.!

and YES I'll bring my rainfly -

I'm still trying to talk Mooose into coming in a chase vehicle..! stay tuned..! thumbsup.gif

<snip> FlyinGreg...you sellin' the bike? Buyin' a new one?

MB>

Gotta sell the RT. That really does bum me out. I already got another bike, a R12GSA last year. Too many bikes in the garage now. I never thought I would ever have this problem. The RT drew the short straw. A decision I may live to regret.bncry.gif

Archived