IGNORED

Saying Goodbye to A Dear Friend and Riding Buddy

David

All of us dream about leaving this life on a crescendo but most of us just walk silently into the night. Bill left us doing what he loved. For this and many other things we wish him peace in his final rest......

David, if you need anything....you have a lot coming up with ridesmart and El Paeso. We are here for you...

Shawn

We rode hard that day,with Dave Bearden leading the way,and tossing his RT back and forth thru the smooth stuff and then Bill would move ahead in the tighter roads ,dragging a occasional peg on the big GS,while we tried to keep up with him.At rest stops there was the usual comments about the handfuls of brakes applied in certain corners or the pegs being touched down,but it was in a very lighthearted manner that showed what good friends they were.David was not far from their thoughts ,several times they wondered if he had got a new tire and would be joining them.

Big T, I remember that day very well. I'd had that flat tire the day before trying to keep up with Bill in Arkansas, and wondering why I was having more trouble than usual when I realized the rear was sliding around. I think MattS was somewhere nearby.

We plugged it on the side of the road and I assumed that was the end of it. Until the next morning when it was flat. I was more disappointed about missing a ride with you guys than the tire. After that guy fixed it, I ran the same route I knew you were running, but I did it backwards, hoping I'd run into you and finish the day.

I vividly remember the smile on your face when you got back, and I knew you'd had a good time.

I took a walk last night and just sat around, pretty sad. The night's rest helped, and now I'm more just remembering all the crazy times. This morning I woke up and for some reason an event in eastern TN hit me.

The three of us were riding on the "Little River Road." Some of you may know it. When there's no traffic, it's quite an experience. Great surface. No shoulders on either side. Very narrow and twisty, with a river on the north side and a mountainside on the south side, edged by a constant line of trees.

The road requires concentration, but a fun kind of concentration. Bill was leading and I was second. For some reason he and I got into this philosophical conversation about the Civil War or something. So back and forth we opined on the intercoms.

Meanwhile I glance in my mirror to see how Bearden is doing--but he's not there! Then I realize that I don't know how long it's been since I glanced back, and I start to panic. If you go off that road it'll be weeks before anyone finds you.

But Bill is droning on and on and I can't get his attention. Finally he paused for a breath and I pop in: "Bill, Bearden isn't back there. I'm going to flip around and head back for him." (Bill hated u-turns and I knew it'd take him forever to get turned around, so I just took off.)

As I fly from corner to corner, no Bearden is apparent and I fear the worst: that he's off the road and we'll need to make our way back more slowly, looking over the side. A few miles later I come to the main intersection and there's Bearden, parked with his bike off and a big grin on his face.

"What's the matter, Bearden? You scared me to death!"

"You all are going the wrong way!" (Remember that Bill was leading again.)

"Well, why didn't you tell us?"

"You wouldn't get off the damn radio long enough for me to get a word in edgewise. What's worse, you completely blew through that stop sign right there, and that's when I stopped."

That's life following Hawkins. smile.gif If he wasn't getting us lost he was making us stop to "arrange" something in his electronics, or to go back because he forgot something altogether. Which reminds me: he got all the way to Paris on this trip and forgot the cashier's check which he was to use to pay for the bike he was riding over there! grin.gif

=====

Thanks to all of you for the kind wishes. Will, Bearden and I can't quite keep the tears down when we think about the fact that he's gone.

bncry.gif

I am truly, truly sad this morning...

I had the pleasure to meet Bill several times over the past two years or so. Not only was he always a class act and fun to talk with, especially when you learned his humor and his funny-as-hell cutting edge, he was also always ready and willing to help, if he could.

The last time I spoke with Bill was right before he left for Europe, via e-mail. He and I had been talking about shipping his old GS to Europe, before he decided to sell it and buy/rent over there (I'm in the shipping/trucking industry and it turned out to be rediculously expensive to ship it to Europe, then back).

He knew that I had bought a 2610, and was having some challenges with it, from a learning point of view (Bill: techie; Me: NOT!) He was a wizard with his, and he was always willing to help me with learning how to use mine.

I was disappointed that I did not get to see him when I was in Nashville for RideSmart I. He had already sold his bike and wound up not getting together with the group.

David, the friendship and closeness that you had with Bill, as well as what you have with Bearden, is so rare. All of you have been blessed with golden experiences and cherished memories.

At this point, the only thing that I can hold onto is the fact that he was doing what he had dreamed about doing, without hesitation and with full zest. I always respected and loved his "spirit".

He was just a helluva cool guy...

God bless you, his many other friends and his family.

(If possible, please post Bill's funeral arrangements when appropriate)

TD

Although I didn’t know Bill (may have crossed his path briefly in Eureka Springs) it sounds like he was the epitome of what makes this online community the wonderful place that it is. You David, and all of us, gained a lot, and have lost a lot today. Donna’s and my heartfelt sympathy go out to you.

What a wonderful way to pass though, fulfilling a dream...

David,

I am so sorry to here about the loss of your friend and riding buddy. Like all history, he will continue to live with us through the stories we here and pass on to others.

I only hope when my time arrives, I leave this life doing what I enjoy.

At Rt. 215, Bill took the lead and I slotted in behind him. Bill had been complaining of a leg cramp so I figured I could relax a bit and enjoy the scenery up 215. Here’s a little hint – never play poker w/ Bill Hawkins! His little, “oh my leg’s buggin’ me” crap was one of the best bluffs I’d ever heard . He takes off and I hear DCB over the FRS, “Dave, I think Bill’s coming alive?!” He wasn’t kidding. Bill takes off on the GS and starts flicking that thing from side to side like Trinity running the Key Maker up the highway on the wrong side of the road in Matrix Reloaded.

You did leave out one part that I still laugh about whenever I think about it: And here's what we hear from Bill: "Gravel in the right hander. MORE GRAVEL in the road! WATCH THE GRAV..." [then silence].

I did forget about that - but that was easily the funniest part of the trip! I also remember that he was soo far ahead at the time, I'm sitting there thinking, "which freakin' corner is he even talking about?!?!" Sore leg...right.

Just more great memories. Damn I'm sad. frown.gif

David - it's also been a long time for me to post. I'm so sorry for you losing a close friend.

This has also been a hard week here in Marietta - a very close 60 year old friend to my wife's brother died unexpectedly - he fell from high in a tree while apparantly trying to trim limbs. He was alone and his wife found him when she got home.

I'll add you to the thoughts and prayers list.

David:

Thanks for your post and getting the word out on Bill. Your post reflects the class act and great friend you are!

Until this moment, I have been unable to bring myself to sit and post my thoughts on Bill and what his friendship meant to me. This was made more difficult by having just spent the last two weeks of his life with him in Europe riding the Alps and having a great time.

What a great trip we had. 4000 kilometers across the Swiss Alps, the Austrian Alps and Dolomites, the Italian Alps as well as Florence and the Mediteranean coast, and the final leg up through the Gray Alps of Southern France. What roads and views.

Following are a couple of pictures from the trip that were highlights for Bill and myself:

scenery3.jpg

(The trip down the back-side of Stelvio Pass)

scenery2.jpg

(Just another great mountain pass we had to ride)

scenery1.jpg

(The top of Furka Pass looking down)

threeboys.jpg

(Bill and me, along with Ferdinand klein Goldewijk, from Holland, who we met on the road and enjoyed riding and socializing with for 3 days of the trip)

To update everyone, Will Hawkins, Bill's 30 year old son, will leave for Geneve tomorrow to collect Bill's personal possessions and to bring his Dad's remains back to the US. Several have offered to go with him but he really wants to do this alone. He and Bill did an Alps trip together 3 years ago and I feel Will wants to be alone to say goodbye.

While clearly stressed by his Dad's death, Will is drawing support from the fact that his Dad died doing something he loved. Will was also touched by this thread and the outpouring of sympathy and compassion shown by all - thanks to everyong in the BMWSportTouring family.

Finally, in the past 5 years I have racked up +80K miles on 4 motorcycles. I have had the pleasure of being with Bill Hawkins for at least 70K of those miles. His loss is significant and will leave a big emptiness for many of us. At the same time, he has been a part of many extremely enjoyable experiences that will last and be remembered forever!

I will miss you Bill! Rest in peace.

Dave,

Thanks for posting your brief thoughts and feelings, the photos of your trip with Bill, and the photo of the two of you together. What a fantastic trip the two of you must have had. It was good to see how happy Bill looked in that photo.

My time spent with Bill was also time spent with you, at Eureka Springs and at Texas Hill Country. David's tales always expressed how close the three of you were, and I looked forward to meeting and riding with both of you. Words can't express how sorry I am that you have lost this great friend and companion.

Hope to ride with you again, soon, and in happier times.

Howard

aTennesseebmw22

I am shocked and saddened by the news of Bill Hawkins passing,thanks Dave for posting. I first met Bill last April, I was trying to buy his old 1100RT.We never did come to terms but I visited his house several times. He had just purchased the GS and was selling his old bike. Bill astonished me because he flew down to Florida and rode that GS back sight unseen. He was definately into adventure. I rode with him at the Unrally II. I will miss him. My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

David.

I'm watching Bill ride that GS in the rain and I'm thinking to myself, "Gee, Bill's leaning that GS over pretty damn far for riding in the rain on a wet road...This guy's "weak" heart is way stronger than mine!"

God blessed you Bill. You'll never know how great a legacy you left behind. God blessed you greatly my friend.

I am deeply saddened to learn this. My heart goes out to Bill's family, his friends, and especially to you two partners of the Tennessee Trio.

Funny how life goes, I was thinking a lot about Bill today as he was the first to tell me about riding the Sunshine Skyway, which I finally rode for the first time yesterday and today. I wanted to send Bill a PM that I finally got around to riding it, and to thank him for pointing the way. So, thank you Bill, for leading the way in your gentlemanly style, as you have everytime I've had the pleasure to ride with you. I'm gonna miss you putting the David's in their place both through your riding and your ribbin'. There's going to be a permanent missing man formation enshrined in our hearts in Nashville...

What a loss. For you and for those who knew him. I'm so sorry for the pain and I'm so happy for your joy in knowing what you found in your friend. God Bless.

How we can all feel this pain is a testiment to you and those who knew and loved him.

Daivd, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of both a friend and someone with whome you were able to share the bond of riding.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures with us - what great memories you guys created together!

David this is so, so sad. The best friends I have are all due in some way to motorcycles. Motorcycling friends are very special in that they share our passion. They understand what we do and why. They accept it and rejoice in it with us. As time goes on we will all have to experience what you are going through now. I know it is coming and I dread it. I ride with my buddies and sometimes we overdo it and I want it to go on forever. And then I think about a time like this.You and Bill's family have every bit of sympathy and sorrow I can muster. I don't know what else to say.

Oh, David;

I, too am so sad and can't believe Bill is gone. When Steve told me this morning - I said how strange it would be for all of us - and especially you - to have a gathering and not see Bill there. I'm sitting here, going through a box of kleenex - and yet smiling through my tears,

because I can just see Bill grinning, lifting his eyebrows, cocking his head, shaking it and saying " You're gonna do what?" He was a kind soul who will be sorely missed.

Thank you, David, for sharing with us and letting us all mourn together.

Steve and I send our heartfelt sympathy to you and Bill's family.

Bless you!

PJ

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in your time of loss. You are lucky to have shared so many good memories with such a special man.

God Bless,

Robert B

I'm so sad to hear the news. I too had the opportunity to ride with Bill, David "Dirtman" Bearden, and Steve and PJ during the first El Paseo. I chuckle every time I think of our long detour.

My thoughts are with all of you who’s lives were touched by Bill. David I can’t imagine your and Bill’s families loss.

I don’t know what any of us could say to make your heart feel better except that I hear the best roads are waiting for us in heaven. The bikes up there don’t run out of gas, the tires are scrubbed to perfection, and the stock seats are really comfortable.

Take care.

David,

I'm so sorry to learn of the passing of such a good friend. We will all eventually lose friends along the way. Most will be people we met from church or work or where we lived. But somehow this bond we have with riding buddies is different. Riders seem to have a certain kind of lust for life. When they go, it's sadder in a way, and harder to take. It's going to take some time, but one day soon, all you will remember about Bill will be the great times. That's the real gift that our best buddies leave behind for us. And as for you now, just know that your friends from all over the world are feeling bad for you and wishing they could somehow help you through it. I know I am, for sure. Thinking about you my friend. bncry.gif

Wheels Rollin'

Words hardly seem appropriate at such a painful and private moment such as this, David -- and yet, they remain the only viable means for us to communicate over the miles that physically separate us…

Death has a way of teaching us some of the deepest truths about life -- and in the process, about ourselves and those around us… For you and our fellow riders who knew Bill in this time of grieving and emotional distress, I have a few thoughts that comforted me a number of times over the years when I was forced to say goodbye to dear friends and loved ones under similar circumstances…

One:

Experiencing grief after a painful loss is good and healthy because it’s a normal and natural part of the healing process… What is critical to that process is the ability to accept the flow of those feelings of grief and not deny them… By denying them, the healing process is unnaturally interrupted, delaying the return to normalcy, however you wish to define it…

In her book “Live With Loss”, Kate Slagle writes, "… The flow of feelings is life… Flowing with our feelings makes us alive, whole, connected, real human beings…" She also emphasizes the importance of sharing those feelings of grief in stating "… Acknowledging our grief and showing it is part of healing… Concealing grief interferes with its expression -- and in hiding our feelings away and burying them inside, we hide ourselves. To hide our emotions is to discount them. Our emotions are us; when we discount them, we discount ourselves… The open expression of feelings is vital…"

Two:

The feelings experienced in the loss of a loved one and/or great friend declares there was great value in that love and friendship and their special place in your life…

Three:

There is hope for your future by nurturing the healing process… “… Loss lives in the heart of the one who refuses to let it go… We must let go of the past to create a new future…”

Four:

And there is hope for more joy coming into your life in the days ahead by unmasking your sorrow and exposing it to sunlight… “… Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears…” Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

As Thomas Fuller once said, “… Friendships multiply joys and divide grief…” Reaching out to others as you have is an important part of the healing process… Reach out to others in your life as often as you feel the need in the days ahead -- and ride your motorcycle as much and as often as you can… The healing provided by time in the saddle on the open road is undeniably real and amazingly powerful… I know -- I’ve been there myself more times than I care to remember and it always did wonders for me, my emotional health and my frame of mind…

Joy will return to your days as you rechart your course and seek out your new horizon… Let us all benefit from the special gifts with which he graced us… May we all experience the joys of deep frienship as you and Bill obviously did…

-- Bill

I'm just catching up and this truly touches me. When my mother passed away I took solice in the fact that I had written her a small note, earlier that year. The note was just to say thanks for being my mom and loving me. I was in Korea at the time and when I came home for her funeral many people told me that she had posted that thank you up at the Senior Center where she volunteered all her time. It made me smile to know that I had touched her heart in the way I had hoped, know that it was only a small note.

I think that your being his riding companion and the fact you encouraged him to live his dream should be your Thank You note. For many of us riding is a passion. It allows us to enjoy life and our surroundings on a different level. For me, a much higher level. David - be happy that he was living his dream and that he had a riding companion like you. I'm sure he's somewhere above saying "Thanks David - and don't be sad. Remember that time we . . ."

Sun-joo and I send our thoughts to all of his family and friends.

I can't begin to express in words better than what has already been said. I too had the pleasure of Bill being one of the first members of the board I met. I rode behind him at El Paseo IV until he told me to pass him.....I don't have any idea why because I could barely keep up with him thumbsup.gif

I saw your post Dave and my heart dropped. Another one of the good guys has moved on. He will be missed by all. I hope that I can lead a life that is half of what his was.

I'm gonna miss you putting the David's in their place both through your riding and your ribbin'.

No kidding! First time I met him he was all quiet, I swear the first words I heard him say were some sort of jab ad David. smile.gif

I'm having a tough time here. I'm sad. I'm going to miss seeing him at events. But I read these memories, I look at these pictures. And I can't help but smile. I think back to the times I had the honor to spend time with him, and I can't help but laugh or smile.

The only option for not feeling this loss David is to not have known him, and that would have been a much greater loss.

[quote

The only option for not feeling this loss David is to not have known him, and that would have been a much greater loss.

You're absolutely right, Steve. I only knew Bill for a year, but I'm so happy that I had a few short days to spend riding with him. He was such a pleasant man to be around and was always encouraging.

I went for a short ride today and all I could think about was following that little man with the big heart as he whipped that blue and white GS through the great roads that we shared in Arkansas and the Hill Country. I don't know that I'll ever ride in a group again without remembering him. And I'm not sure I ever want to forget.

David, I'm so very sorry you've lost such a good friend. They aren't easy to come by and are darn hard to loose.

This cannot be stated enough!. David, I am so sorry that this has happened. This has been a difficult year for Suz'anne and I as you know, but also know that healing will begin quickly. Your final tribute proves that - it was very classy send off. Thanks for sharing. I still wake up quite often and can't believe that my Dad is gone. You have so many memories to hang on to. Give our condolences to Bearden and Bill's family.

bncry.gifbncry.gif

Steve

My condolences to his son, his family and his friends.

What finer epitaph could a man ask for...

"I was remembered well by family and good friends and I exited this life doing what I loved best...."

We should all be so fortunate...

David, This is simply an unbelievable loss. Though I didn't know Bill well, I really enjoyed riding with you guys and having lunch down in s.c. during El Paseo, as well as the trials day last spring. I met Bill the first time at your house during the 4T. I was looking forward to seeing him again this fall and riding that stretch of road that was closed this spring when he and I tried it. What a great guy, and a sad surprise.

David,

So sorry to hear of the loss of your loss. I ment Bill in passing and never got a chance to sit and visit with him. Most of the people we met here on the board turn into friends, but there are those few who have become my best friends, they are the one's I can count on one hand and I would ride anywhere with them at the drop of a hat. I am sorry that you have lost your good friend.

Bill always had a kind word for me at El Paseo. He was a pleasure to be around. I'm sorry to hear this news.

He was the kind of friend and riding buddy we all hope to have. My condolences to his family and his friends.

frown.gif

Wow...I'm shocked to hear of Bill's passing. I didn't really know Bill as well as some of you, but we'd shared a meal or two at local BMW club meetings. He was a good man, and I know he'll be missed.

I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.

David, when I first met you at El Paseo II, you were with Bill and I first thought he was your Dad! In a way I was right, he was your Dad, best friend, mentor, and riding buddy.

As i have scanned the board in the last week I saw this thread title but didn't open it. Now that I have, I am stunned.

My sympathies to you and to Bill's family.

David(s) ...

Sorry to hear about the loss of such a good friend.

He died with his "boots on". Doing what brought enjoyment to him. If there can be any good in this terrible event, that would be it.

My prayers are with Bill's family and all who knew him.

sORRY to hear of your loss (and our loss)David. Motorcycling gets forever changed by people like Bill.

I hope we're smart enough to recognize it.

Blessings all around you and his family at this time of loss.

One of the great things about motorcycling is that it gives us a chance to meet some pretty wonderful people. David and others here are fortunate to have known Bill. Count your blessings.

David,

My condolences to you, to Bill's family, and to everyone who knew and loved Bill.

I never had the privilege of meeting Bill. It's good to know he was enjoying a really nice trip through Europe when he passed away.

Our time here is not guaranteed. Bill got plenty of riding in, from the pictures and stories from everyone. I need to get more riding in, like Bill did!

Thanks to all of you for the kind wishes. The family has read this thread and they've told me that it's meant a lot to them.

We are planning the memorial service now. It'll be real laid back and with beer--just Bill's style. As soon as we have a date and place, I'll post it here in case any of you want to attend.

I'm past the emotional side of it. Now it's just a sadness. That's natural, I suppose. What has been gratifying is seeing how many of you actually knew Bill in spite of his quiet demeanor.

Again, Bill's family really wanted me to thank you. And we've also had some good help in France in recovering his bike.

Archived