IGNORED

Saying Goodbye to A Dear Friend and Riding Buddy

David

I grew up riding bikes as a kid and quit when I came to the US as an 18 year old. I never touched a motorcycle again for 22 years when I turned 40, at which time I bought an RT. Since I'd never had a motorcycle license endorsement in the US, I hadn't even ridden the bike. I rode it home anyway, and shortly thereafter I attended a meeting of the BMW Club of Nashville. They announced a ride and I figured "what the heck" I'll go. All that to say that I knew no one at this point who rode a motorcycle.

It turned out to be a pretty adventuresome ride and we spread out pretty quickly and I ended up in a group of four bikes. One of the bikes was distinctive, regardless of the position he was in, and it was due to some lights the rider had hooked up to make him more visible. At one point on this ride we all rolled our bikes onto a ferry in Kentucky, and I used that opportunity to look up this rider and ask about the lights.

I introduced myself to Bill Hawkins that day, almost exactly four years ago, and we struck up a friendship. He'd retired early, had lots of time on his hands, was a great rider, and a fun companion. He was absolutely fearless about mechanical things and helped me a lot. He was also game to go most anywhere, too.

So we rode all over the place together, just the two of us. Our first UnRally was coming up (in Gunnison, Colorado), and I knew I wanted to ride there with Bill. He gladly agreed, and asked if David Bearden could go with his. Bearden was his long time riding partner over the years. And from that trip on we were a threesome, riding tens of thousands of miles together. We laughed together, repeated countless stories, and incessantly gave each other shit at every opportunity. I can't tell you how many riding experiences we had through rain, snow, heat, and mechanical break downs. We rode poorly and skillfully, and never hesitated to point out both conditions. smile.gif

Anyway, Bill died a couple of hours ago and I've been crying pretty hard over it. He went to France about a month ago, renting a villa and riding all over creation. It was always a dream of his to do this, and we strongly encouraged it. In fact Bearden just got back last night from riding with him for 10 days on a rented 12GS. The neighbor hadn't seen him in a bit and grew worried--that's when they found him, dead apparently of a heart attack (he's had some trouble in his earlier years and both Bearden and I were prepared to administer aid and medication should something happen on one of our rides).

Bill had gotten a little introspective with both Bearden and I recently, and so perhaps he saw it coming. I'd kept in touch with Will Hawkins, his son and my attorney, and we joked about whether he'd find some love interest in France and never come back. But we had no idea he'd not come back because he died.

I keep breaking down as I write this. Bill was over at the house a lot. He was a friend. And he is a very large part of bringing me back to riding. I know he never posted here much, but many of you knew this good man who loved life and was content to stay in the background. He leaves a son here in Nashville, a daughter in Atlanta, and several grandkids.

Bill, I love you man, and I'll really miss you. Motorcycling is going to be tough, because so many things are going to remind me of you.

Even going through my pictures it's hard to find a trip that does not involve Bill. Here are a few pictures of the hundreds I have.

Here's a trip the four of us took together. Bill is on the left, then Bearden, then Julie, then me:

billdinner.jpg

Here's Bill one of our trips to the Smoky Mountains. Jake, this was the one where we introduced you to Georgia:

billga.jpg

Here's Bill on an 8 day trip that he and I took to the Copper Canyon, Mexico, a year ago:

billyellow.jpg

And here's Bill on the Cherohala Parkway:

billpkwy.jpg

You may remember that Ghost Train Video I shot a couple months ago. This is me at the beginning; then I pick up Bearden; the last half is Bill on his GS, as it starts to rain. I'll share it with you again here.

http://www.el-paseo.info/downloads/ghosttrain.mov

Bill, I'm going to really miss you. I hope that video is an appropriate send off.

Bill's body is still in Boyeve, France, as is the bike he bought. If any of our European members can help us get the bike to Paris, I'd be most grateful. You can contact me via email.

David ,

I'm so sorry to hear this.

The pictures show a man with good friends ,and having adventures with them. I'm sure those times meant alot to him and added to his enjoyment of life.

Larry

Joe Frickin' Friday

My condolences, David. I've seen the three of you interact together at several gatherings now, and I know you were a tight crew. From your stories, it seems he lived a full life.

bncry.gif

David, so sorry to hear about Bill, but glad to hear he had a chance to ride some in Europe while he had the chance.

He will be missed by all who knew him.

David,

I know this is hard on you and Bill’s friends and family. He has touched your heart, as it sounds like many others, so his memories that he gave you really never let him pass very far from those he has touched. I am sure we all wish we can be as fortunate as Bill was; living a dream as we pass to the next stage of our lives.

Bill was head of a large IT department for the State of TN. He retired early because there were so many things he wanted to do. I guess if you're gonna die, it might as well be like this: fulfilling a lifelong dream of riding all over Europe.

Bill was the easiest guy in the world to get riled up. Our favorite was on oil consumption. We'd be riding along and I'd make a passing comment about a puff of smoke from his bike, just to get him, and at the next stop he'd be doing all sorts of tests to see if his bike was alright. On our trip out west we were particularly brutal to the poor fellow. It culminated in a fake "oil slick" I put under his bike one morning, something I'd brought along just especially for him. He freaked out, started cussing, and then finally realized it was a joke. We laughed our asses off--then and every time we retold the story.

I can't tell you how much fun we've had over the last four years. Bill was quite a rider, too. He didn't know the first thing about it, had terrible form, bad lines, and couldn't explain a riding maneuver to save his life. But put him behind a set of handlebars and he could ride the wheels off that GS.

I remember following him over many tight, twisty roads and hearing myself say: "Okay, we're cooking here and a curve is coming up. Shouldn't we be slowing up just a bit? Okay, maybe not immediately, but soon? Okay, I guess not, but I think we ought to be slowing down...and right now! Alright, Bill's not slowing down, and doesn't even look nervous, but I am slowing down."

Meanwhile, Bill would whip those GS bars and dive in, all the while adding throttle. In fact I asked him one day what he does when he discovers he's too hot. "Well, I used to brake, but I don't think that works real well. Just give it more throttle. Always give it more throttle." grin.gif

Damn, I'm going to miss you Bill!

David,

I am so sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I know how close you, Bill, and Dave had been. You spoke of him so often, he seemed more like a brother than a friend. I was fortunate to have had the pleasure of riding with him at UnRally 2 and at the Texas Hill Country ride last year. He was good company, and man could he whip that GS of his through the curves. I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear of the loss of your very good friend. My condolences to you, Bearden, and to Bill's family. Bill truly was one of the good guys. bncry.gif

John Ranalletta

David, so sorry, man. Ruth and I just read and re-read your note. Bill was easy to be with and a hoot to talk with. We enjoyed the short time we spent with him in at the Unrallies.

John/Ruth

David...

Unfortunately, one of the ways we are able to tell how much we TRULY loved our friends happens upon their passing. bncry.gif

I can tell by your excerpts how much your heart aches for a true friend. What a WONDERFUL thing to have know a man such as Bill, and have ridden with him...

both of you in your glory.

I can only hope I depart the earth after having the ride of my life in the Bavarian Alps (my dream ride).

You ARE supposed to be "in the depths" now, an honest grieving procees, a tribute to your love for a wonderful friend.

In time, of course, most all of the memories will fill your heart with gladness. Some have your tales have already got me grinning. thumbsup.gif

Please accept Barb's and my deepest condolences.

We will keep you and yours in our hearts!

My first post in some time, but this one really got me. I had the chance to chat with Bill at several El Paseos, and enjoyed his comments and perspectives. Even though I didn't know him well, I am very saddened by his passing -- and our loss.

Several weeks ago, a guy next to me collapsed and died of a heart attack on the bus from the Charlotte airport parking lot to check in. He never had a chance -- a paramedic on the bus worked on him until the ambulance arrived in about 3 minutes. I read his obituary when I returned a few days later -- early 50s, dad, active in his church and civic organizations, golfer. Never met him, but knew we lost a good one there too.

Puts things in perspective a bit when you see it so close. At least Bill was doing what he wanted to do and enjoying his riding and his friends. So, guys and gals, my take on this is to really pursue happines. .. ride as much as possible; golf as much as possible... love your friends and family and don't take them for granted . . . and don't get worked up over things that don't matter in the grand scheme. Easier said than done, but a worthwhile goal.

Adios Bill. Many happy rides.

Randy Shields frown.gif

Oh man, I hated reading this. frown.gif

I'm so glad we were able to get to know him and ride with him.

Thanks for sharing your friendship with us.

Please let us know what the arrangements will be.

This is so sad. Bill was one of the first 3 people I met from our board, on the same Gunnison trip you mention David. He was a really decent and gentle man. I can still hear him cutting up with Hawkins on my Autocom during the Hill Country Ride. Bill we all miss you very much.

34170643.jpg

"Well, I used to brake, but I don't think that works real well. Just give it more throttle. Always give it more throttle."

Words to live by... sorry your friend is gone.

David--

I'm so sorry. It's difficult to lose such a close friend, but it sounds like he packed a lot into his life. While we never want to see those we love leave us, as those above have written, you can take great solace that he was living out his dream when he passed on.

Somewhere, I'm sure, he's tearing along on a perfect road on a perfect day on a perfect bike. Bless you and those who mourn his loss.

ShovelStrokeEd

David,

My deepest sympathy on your loss.

The absolute worst thing about getting older is the frequency with which we lose our friends.

Make peace with this, brother, and remember your good times together.

Ed

Somewhere, I'm sure, he's tearing along on a perfect road on a perfect day on a perfect bike.

I think you are right. But I'm also guessing he's lost! smile.gif The boy was pathetic in that department, which is why he was so good with his 2610 GPS unit!

He'd get back on the interstate and head in the wrong direction, even. When Bill was leading you could never quite relax, unlike Bearden who was instinctive about directions.

When we went to Mexico last fall, I led the entire time, being familiar with Mexico and speaking Spanish. So by the time we crossed the border back into the US, he had a strong pent up craving to lead again.

After the crossing we fill up with good ol' US fuel. He blurts out: "Baker, I'm leading the rest of the trip!"

"Fine, Bill; I'm ready to follow, anyway."

So we suit up and he heads off--180 degrees in the wrong direction. I just sighed to myself and followed him a mile or two and finally got on the radio and said: "Bill, do you know where you're headed?"

"Of course, I do." [Long pause, during which he looks down at the GPS.] "Damn." Then a quick u-turn. smirk.gif

Of course this was on the same trip where he realized, halfway to Memphis, that he'd left his whole camera bag in the front yard!!

This is truly a sad day.

David, I'm so sorry for your loss and for his family's sorrow. Bill was indeed a gentleman and I thoroughly enjoyed my short time with him. Listening to Bill was so interesting. I feel especially priveledged to have known him. Bill and I talked last on the phone when we were having dinner at that Thai restaurant and we were trying to get him to go with us on our ride the next day.

I especially enjoyed the way that you, Bearden, and Bill would always be ribbing each other. The story that Bearden told me about Bill leaving his bike running all night after he got distracted during a tune-up and the way that you two teased him about it had me rolling on the floor.

God bless you, Bill. I'll miss you.

After the crossing we fill up with good ol' US fuel. He blurts out: "Baker, I'm leading the rest of the trip!"

"Fine, Bill; I'm ready to follow, anyway."

So we suit up and he heads off--180 degrees in the wrong direction. I just sighed to myself and followed him a mile or two and finally got on the radio and said: "Bill, do you know where you're headed?"

"Of course, I do." [Long pause, during which he looks down at the GPS.] "Damn." Then a quick u-turn.

Of course this was on the same trip where he realized, halfway to Memphis, that he'd left his whole camera bag in the front yard!!

Those are the memories we take with us forever.

AdventurePoser

David,

Jennifer and I send you our deepest condolences. How lucky you were to have such a good friend, a man with a huge appetite for life!

Steve in So Cal

No real words can be said at times like these. What heals is the sharing of the emotions associated with losses such as this. The loss of Bill will be widely felt and at the most unexpected times. Remember to embrace and celebrate him whenever he crosses your mind David.

David,

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. However, it seems to me that this thread and your stories are the most fitting tribute to a lost comrad.

I would be willing to bet that this is the kind of remembrance he would have wanted.

Jim frown.gif

David:

Your beautiful and heartfelt tribute to Bill shows how blessed you and others have been to have had Bill's companionship. Riding might seem hard after this, but Bill nutured your love of it. The silver lining in your dark cloud is that you get to honor your friendship every time you throw your leg over. That's something you can carry with you, mile after mile, with Bill looking over your shoulder.

From the sounds of it, that might be better than letting him lead! wink.gif

Peace to you.

I came to Eureka Springs with the thoughts of possibly giving up riding .Earlier that year I lost a good friend and very accomplished rider to a freak accident and my passion for riding seemed to be sliding away.

The rally turned into a turning point for me that brought back the fire ! David invited me to ride with himself,Dave Bearden and Bill Hawkins, and the next morning we were getting ready when David had to cancel because the tire he plugged the day before was leaking.

So off I go with these two guys,me being a bit apprehensive because I'm unsure of how I will mesh with this group,so I hang back a bit and watch them going into corners within a few feet of each other then accelerating out the other side at the same distance apart,you could tell they did this often and were at ease riding that close.

After a while I finally loosened up a bit and moved on up with them.That turned out to be one of the most memorable riding days of my life.

We rode hard that day,with Dave Bearden leading the way,and tossing his RT back and forth thru the smooth stuff and then Bill would move ahead in the tighter roads ,dragging a occasional peg on the big GS,while we tried to keep up with him.At rest stops there was the usual comments about the handfuls of brakes applied in certain corners or the pegs being touched down,but it was in a very lighthearted manner that showed what good friends they were.David was not far from their thoughts ,several times they wondered if he had got a new tire and would be joining them.

Its very hard for me to describe that day,sun shining,no cares other than riding,great people to ride with,great roads and somehow my passion for riding was rekindled.

I felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to ride with Bill for a day and was looking forward to the next time.

David,thanks for the opportunity to meet and ride with Bill,its a day that will not be forgotten.

Todd

I had the privilege to ride with Bill at the first El Paseo. That time it was Bearden that got us lost on a gravel “short cut” that he thought would save us some time. smile.gif Bill was always a welcome site when we rolled in at a gathering.

Bill, you touched the lives of many. God Speed.

How wonderful to have loved a friend so deeply and how much more acute the loss. A friendship like that never dies, David and I'm sure Bill will still be along on every ride you take.

Add my tears to yours,

I too would like to share my sincerest wishes to you and to all that surrounded him. Guess life isn't always fair, particularly to people that their life is cut short.

regards to all frown.gif

David, I'm very sorry to hear about Bill. There have been quite a few notices over the years on this board of good people passing away, and your message is especially touching.

However, we're all going to the same place, regardless of our speeds or the roads we take to get there. I've never met you or Bill but will certainly see you both sooner or later, along with a lot of the other good people on this board. Looking forward to it! Meanwhile, please take care of yourself, enjoy what you have while you have it, and let the rest sort itself out as it comes.

David-

Oh no...

I'm really really sorry to hear about your loss. In reading your story, it's clear to see this person was incredibly special. The kind of friend some people are never fortunate enough to have.

I'm so terribly sorry to read this - and I hope that somehow - through the grief you can find some comfort and strength in the memories you guys shared. It's those memories that last forever - and there are quite a few.

Prayers and thoughts - go out to you and Bill's family. What a horrible horrible thing.

bncry.gif

I haven't got the right words in times like these. I am so sorry to hear this. Please keep the memories and stories coming; remembering the good times helped me heal after my grandad passed away, so hopefully in time, you'll just fondly recall the good times with your friend instead of this pain you feel now.

God bless

Francois_Dumas

My deepest and heartfelt sympathy, David. Loosing a true friend is the worst that one can experience.

From your stories in this thread it does seem that Bill had many happy moments in his life, for which I am glad.

What more to say? Ride on .... !

Warm regards,

Francois

As pain eases, memories increase in intensity to maintain equilibrium. What a wonderful legacy; it is now yours to pass on by sharing. Relationships grow from commonalities. It is threads like this that draw us all closer together, focus us on what is important, and transcend differences. Liquid emotion, called tears, must flow and cleanse to commence healing. Our thoughts are with you.

Bob and Barbara John

David - Sorry to hear about Bill's passing. It sounds like he was a vital part of your riding life, if not your whole lfe. I've enjoyed reading these memories and stories from your years of riding together.

Just give it more throttle. Always give it more throttle."

These words would make a great epitaph. thumbsup.gifbncry.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Archived