IGNORED

R1200xx FD Failure Rate Poll. All R1200xx Owners Please Reply!

s3steve

R1200xx FD Failure Rate.  

1,311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2009 RT with 17k miles. No problems. (Well, OK, the fuel gauge quit and I'm taking it in Thursday to be fixed under warranty.)

Is anybody going to compile the results of this totally unscientific poll?

Is anybody going to compile the results of this totally unscientific poll?

I have thought the same thing, but then wondered what would be the point anyway? Of what use is it for random Hexhead owners to comment on whether or not their final drives have failed? This is a very old thread and I cannot recall if I voted or not; maybe I voted several times? :dopeslap:

Jay

Dave_zoom_zoom

2006 R1200RT 79,000 km

Small problem. Seal behind the black composite ring was seeping a bit of oil. Repaired under warr. (a small job)

When mine was new it was one of those "life time" F. D. units.

When I did my first oil change at approx. 15,000 km, the oil was black and there was a lot (I mean A LOT) of black fuzz hanging on the sensor.

I've been changing oil every 20,000 km and now the drain oil looks as clean as the new oil. Fuzz on the sensor is almost non existent. I'm using the Castrol 75w-90 syn.--180 ml per refill.

Hope I got one of the good ones!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Dave

07GSA failed at 12K, re-built by the dealer, failed again at 35K, fluid changed 600 and every 6K, bought 2010 gsa, so far so good fluid changed 600 and every 6k, 12K on the bike as of today

Don_Eilenberger

Updated report - 43,000 and still fine. Change it every 12K (since 24K when they came out with the recommendation) - and the oil coming out looks just like the new oil going in. Now at 180cc fill quantity.

2007 1200RT with 4,100 miles. Seems fine to me. I have put the last 1,000 miles on it in the last 7 days since I got it and the FD works great!

clutch was "worn out" at 18k according to BMW!!

Unless you've abused your bike and the clutch was SEVERLY abused your dealer is full of crap. The only clutch failures I am aware of were due to rear main seal leaks.

As for the rear drive mine is original with 97 thousand miles as is the clutch. Someone on this forum has nearly 200 thousand without trouble (please correct if I'm wrong). Also, I am definately reading less and less about drive failures. This is a very good thing :clap:

Archived